View Full Version : Blizzard Rescue Operations?

dismayed
12-24-2009, 05:55 PM
A lot of people are trapped out on the highways right now, including a friend of mine. Does anyone know what the emergency management plan is for the highways? Will the National Guard be dispatched to take care of folks who are in undrivable cars?

stratosphere
12-24-2009, 06:03 PM
This is a bad situation, sorry to hear about your friend and of course all of the other people trapped out there. Honestly i dont know what the rescue plan is other than i have heard them say to call *55 and report it if you are stranded. However, the bad news is they are also advising people to stay put in their cars and warning them they could be there a while or overnight even. Some of the things they are saying is to keep your engine running to keep the car warm, but also to crack your windows a bit in case carbon monoxide were to enter in the car. That is in case the tailpipe to the car is covered into snow then the carbon monoxide supposedly backs up into the car.

Personally i cannot imagine spending the night inside of a car in this weather....but hopefully those people have extra clothing, blankets, etc so they can at least keep warm enough to survive.

Might be a good thing for everyone to keep those folks in our prayers tonight.

betts
12-24-2009, 06:33 PM
Growing up in Minnesota we never went on a car trip over 30 miles without throwing a couple of down sleeping bags in the car, as well as some emergency rations. Another trick for warmth is candles in glass jars. They put out a surprising amount of heat if you run out of gas.

My husband got stuck in a drift but luckily only a few blocks from our house, after negotiating ten miles of the Broadway extension.

bretthexum
12-24-2009, 06:48 PM
It really is quite sad people can't listen and stay home. Hope they can get everyone rescued...

windowphobe
12-24-2009, 06:51 PM
An attempt to match up stranded people with people who'll put them up for the night:

http://blizzard.clevyr.com/

dismayed
12-24-2009, 07:08 PM
Bad thing is a lot of these people have been out on the road since early this morning and started traveling into OKC long before the snowstorm hit....

RedDirt717
12-24-2009, 07:19 PM
I tried to host my own little rescue mission and got minor frostbite on a few fingers before calling it quits. I'll probably go back out in a few hours after opening presents with the fam.

dismayed
12-24-2009, 08:51 PM
Be careful Red if you decide to do that.

gmwise
12-24-2009, 09:36 PM
Reminds me of those who drive in flooded areas.
Evolution sure needs to kick in...lol

LakeEffect
12-24-2009, 09:38 PM

For shame. It's far too early (if ever) for jokes like that.

RedDirt717
12-24-2009, 09:44 PM

I guess people trying to spend time with loved ones for Christmas are genetically inferior....

RedDirt717
12-24-2009, 09:48 PM
Be careful Red if you decide to do that.

I'm actually going back out to help some people, and get food to people stranded. The frost bite was only stage 1 and 2 I'll be fine.

Got to take care of my fellow Oklahomans and those passing through.

Bostonfan
12-24-2009, 09:54 PM
It really is quite sad people can't listen and stay home. Hope they can get everyone rescued...

Exactly. I know there were people who had no choice, and I feel for them. The others just don't seem to grasp the words, "do not get out unless you have to". Either they think they HAD to go shopping (or whatever), or they are missing something upstairs. Sad either way.

angel27
12-24-2009, 10:11 PM
We had a family gathering scheduled. My son drove to work and got stranded, my husband went to rescue him - took him 2 hours to get to him. 4 wheel drive and creative driving got them back. Then we went to my other son's house since we had the transport to do it. I could not believe the number of stalled cars and semis along streets and highways, at intersections and inclines. Memorial was impassable, we had to backtrack. Most shocking were those still in their cars, not able to go anywhere. I felt awful not able to offer them a hand, but we were full. I know we passed by hundreds of stalled vehicles from 23rd to Edmond and back. It looked like the end had come. I'm glad to hear the National Guard is being sent out to help. Keep them in your prayers.

nik4411
12-24-2009, 10:15 PM
im actually over in fort smith, we got some nice snow.
what were the totals over around the city?

adaniel
12-24-2009, 10:24 PM
The others just don't seem to grasp the words, "do not get out unless you have to". Either they think they HAD to go shopping (or whatever), or they are missing something upstairs. Sad either way.

This.

I am actually in Dallas at my folks house where we got a measly 2 inches of snow. I am following twitter feeds and its absolutley heartbreaking how many posts say something like "my husbands stranded and running out of gas" etc. It is such a shame, people are literally dying out there. I will save my rant about what I think about people getting out in this until everyone is accounted for.

In the mean time, if anyone lives in Norman remotely close to I-35, please just peak out you window and see if anyone needs help. According to the twitter feeds I'm seeing there are possibly hundreds of people still on that highway alone.

blangtang
12-24-2009, 10:41 PM
its terrible but i told my sister that there would be many people dead in the morning. bah

soonerguru
12-24-2009, 11:45 PM

Classy. This is no laughing matter.

soonerguru
12-24-2009, 11:46 PM
im actually over in fort smith, we got some nice snow.
what were the totals over around the city?

It's mentioned throughout the thread.

oklanole
12-25-2009, 01:51 AM
It's mentioned throughout the thread.

Now wouldn't it have been quicker to type 11-14 inches? Besides unless this thread gets merged, it isn't mentioned once here.

mikesimpsons82
12-25-2009, 04:37 AM
It's mentioned throughout the thread.No it's not. Reading isn't your strong suit, is it?

Spartan
12-25-2009, 04:53 AM

Lol. I wouldn't have necessarily posted anything like this, but sometimes I share the sentiment. It is crazy to me to come home and watch how helpless everyone here is after what I'd call a baby blizzard. I think it's kind of funny how Okies brag about how they handle so many different extremes of weather. Well they really don't handle the different weather extremes well, they just barely manage to survive it to be able to brag about it to people that do actually handle adverse weather well.

Someone from Chicago says, "Wow I sure would love to have the nice, warm weather where you're from." Okie says, "Oh yeah it's great in the summer when it's hot. But I especially love the floods, and the tornadoes, and the ice storms. Yeah I'm real bad ass you know." (not word for word, but it always goes something like that)

betts
12-25-2009, 05:14 AM
The difference between Oklahoma City and northern cities, in terms of their ability to deal with significant snowfall, has to do with equipment owned by the city and the citizens. If you lived in Minnesota, you'd either have a four-wheel drive vehicle, or you'd have snowtires or chains on your vehicle. The city would own a large number of snow removal devices and would be working tirelessly removing snow, salting and/or sanding streets.

So while this blizzard, because yes, after spending years living in Minnesota and Colorado, I would term this a blizzard, might not have the signficant number of inches of snow deposited you would see in some northern cities, our ability to deal effectively with the snow we got makes it significant. The fact that it was on Christmas, which increased the number of travelers on the roads makes it significant.

It's not cost effective, in a city that sees one to three usually minor snowfalls a year, to own the amount of snow removal equipment that would make this blizzard less significant. It's not cost effective for people to all own four wheel drive vehicles or have snowtires on their cars or even to purchase chains in Oklahoma City. So, I don't think our inability to deal with fourteen inches of snow is anything to be ashamed of. This is an unusual event, and so unusual situations have occurred. There shouldn't be any stone-throwing, because it's a random occurrence. The weathermen last night were predicting far less snowfall in Oklahoma City, and I don't think most of us were prepared for this.

oneforone
12-25-2009, 06:27 AM
It's is very easy to Monday Morning Quarterback this storm however, when was the last time a snow storm this bad hit the metro or the state for that matter? 1987.

How many snow and ice storms have come and gone since then? Dozens. Therefore, the average person has the mentality of "I can navigate this as long as I take it easy and drive with caution."

Not to mention, everybody and their dog is out running around chasing last minute Christmas items. (The present they forgot, the item that has been out of stock forever, last minute food items, etc. etc.)

This could have been much worse if this had hit a week or two ago when kids were in school and the majority of the people in the city would have been at work or commuting to/from work.

I have never missed a day of work because of a snow storm. I work for one of the city's hospital systems. In fact, I got out in it early to assist one of our sister hospitals with winter weather coverage.

I left North OKC at 2:00 to go to my workplace near Midwest City. I did not make it to the east side of the city until almost 5:00. I was in gridlock on May Avenue between NW 45th and I-44 for almost an hour. When I finally reached I-44, they had closed the interstates.

I continued down May Avenue where I met another gridlock in front of Taft Middle School. I was good and frustrated by then and I was not about to spend another hour waiting in traffic. I turned off of May and starting using side streets.

Luckily my 3 years of delivering televisions for a living paid off. I used every short cut I could think of to navigate my way east to Midwest City.

Normally, I am one of the most cautious drivers in the world. I make every effort to follow the traffic rules and drive safe. I have been driving for over 20 years with no traffic violations. I have never been pulled over by the police.

Yesterday, that went out the window. Everytime I stopped, I got stuck in the snow. I weaved around other cars. I drove on the wrong side the road. I only stopped at lights and stop signs when traffic was present.

After about three times of getting stuck, I threw in the towel. I had about 5 more miles to get to work and about 1 mile from the house. I called in to work and told them I was not coming in. I was not taking the chance of getting stuck again.

At that point, I did not care if they fired me. I wanted to be home and out of mess. I have to say my thoughts and prayers are with those out there still trying to make it home.

LakeEffect
12-25-2009, 07:54 AM
Fun fact - a blizzard does not require snow. A blizzard is only declared with the wind is sustained at 35 mph leading to blowing snow and causing visibilities of 1⁄4 mile or less, lasting for at least 3 hours. Snow fall amounts are independent of blizzard conditions. Therefore, when 14 inches of snow falls in less than 24 hours, in blizzard conditions, no matter where you are, problems will ensue.

I grew up in Michigan, and I always gripe about OKC's snow removal efforts in small, non-blizzard events. Being out in Bowie and Wichita Falls, Texas yesterday (11 inches and 7.8 inches of snow respectively yesterday), I can tell that this storm would have snarled any well-machined snow removal city/state.

My main issue might be with communication. Unfortunately, since I wasn't in OKC, I can't really speak about the issue, but watching events unfold via Twitter and local TV station websites, it seemed as though that people weren't getting effective communication about the severity of the storm. The Wichita Falls/Lawton CBS affiliate was commenting at 10:00 pm last night that they were frustrated with the lack of information presented locally. I also wonder if there was dis-belief and cynicism toward the TV station predictions about this storm after last year's "BIG STORM" prediction that went flat, and those attitudes led people to be more risky than usual...

Bostonfan
12-25-2009, 08:16 AM
I also wonder if there was dis-belief and cynicism toward the TV station predictions about this storm after last year's "BIG STORM" prediction that went flat, and those attitudes led people to be more risky than usual...[/QUOTE]

I'm sure this was the case for some. The problem is, for a week people knew there was a possibility of heavy snow. So knowing that, wouldn't you at least be aware of what is going on the day of the storm? In today's world of communication, I find it hard to believe there were so many people on the streets during this storm.

It really blows my mind.

LakeEffect
12-25-2009, 08:26 AM
I'm fascinated by the use of Twitter and alternative methods for emergency communications and response. The private response, particularly http://blizzard.clevyr.com/, is impressive. People communicating to each other via Twitter is extremely useful. Some entities in Oklahoma (CityofOKC, OKDOT, etc) communicated via Twitter yesterday, but it unfortunately only reaches a small portion of the people out on the road. And, technically, if you're driving, you shouldn't be checking Twitter etc., so it's not a very reliable method.

The analysis of communication and the emergency response to this event will be interesting.

bretthexum
12-25-2009, 08:36 AM
I guess people trying to spend time with loved ones for Christmas are genetically inferior....

Yes, when all of the TV stations tell you to stay home, they are.

SOONER8693
12-25-2009, 10:27 AM
I also wonder if there was dis-belief and cynicism toward the TV station predictions about this storm after last year's "BIG STORM" prediction that went flat, and those attitudes led people to be more risky than usual...

I'm sure this was the case for some. The problem is, for a week people knew there was a possibility of heavy snow. So knowing that, wouldn't you at least be aware of what is going on the day of the storm? In today's world of communication, I find it hard to believe there were so many people on the streets during this storm.

It really blows my mind.[/QUOTE]

I believe you are right about the discounting the local TV people on this. Oklahomans have been burned so many times by these guys, people have quit taking them seriously.

bluedogok
12-25-2009, 10:27 AM
I also wonder if there was dis-belief and cynicism toward the TV station predictions about this storm after last year's "BIG STORM" prediction that went flat, and those attitudes led people to be more risky than usual...

It really blows my mind.[/QUOTE]
There are a bunch of people who no matter how "connected" they are pay no attention to news or weather so pretty much anything that changes drastically catches them off guard. As someone who has always "paid attention" to news and weather it was shocking to me. At the time I was amazed at how many didn't.

This year our travel plans had us going to West Texas first, we had some flurries around Fredricksburg yesterday. If it had been OKC first we would have left after I got off work on Wednesday because we had been watching the forecasts. Hopefully it will be better when we head that way on Sunday.

soonerguru
12-25-2009, 04:15 PM
No it's not. Reading isn't your strong suit, is it?

Merry Christmas to you, too.

soonerguru
12-25-2009, 04:23 PM
My main issue might be with communication. Unfortunately, since I wasn't in OKC, I can't really speak about the issue, but watching events unfold via Twitter and local TV station websites, it seemed as though that people weren't getting effective communication about the severity of the storm.

This is absolutely correct. The city and even the NWS seemed a little flat footed by events. People were not in any way prepared for blizzard conditions, and for the record, a blizzard was NOT in the forecast. I went to bed the night before at like 2:30 a.m. and NWS was still only forecasting three to five inches of snow.

The citizens should not be blamed. A lot of people were at work, coming home, etc.

RedDirt717
12-25-2009, 06:44 PM
Yes, when all of the TV stations tell you to stay home, they are.

Right, most of those people were just trying to get home from work.

You know people with jobs, trying to earn a living...not everyone can just waste away in front of a TV all day like a loser. Something you've obviously mastered.

Spartan
12-25-2009, 07:10 PM
So, I don't think our inability to deal with fourteen inches of snow is anything to be ashamed of.

Oh no, I don't think it's anything to be ashamed of either. I just thought it was kind of funny how us Okies get so beat up by the weather here.

bretthexum
12-25-2009, 07:17 PM
Right, most of those people were just trying to get home from work.

You know people with jobs, trying to earn a living...not everyone can just waste away in front of a TV all day like a loser. Something you've obviously mastered.

Not talking about them. Talking about the thousands who decided to go to the mall, drive across the state, etc.

I replied to your post which said people trying to visit loved ones, not going home from work. I wanted to visit the family in Wisconsin too but cancelled our drive because of the weather. Chill out dude.

stratosphere
12-25-2009, 07:22 PM
Oh no, I don't think it's anything to be ashamed of either. I just thought it was kind of funny how us Okies get so beat up by the weather here.

Well this place has it all really, Tornados, severe thunderstorms, gail force winds, monsoons, extreme heat, droughts, artic air, blizzards, snowstorms, ice storms, and lets not forget the wildfires and earthquakes too (while those aren't necessarily weather, they count).

Can't blame people for being a bit "weather beaten" around here. If our lakes were any bigger we'd probably have hurricanes too. If our mountains were any bigger, we'd probably have volcanos as well.

:dizzy:

dismayed
12-25-2009, 08:14 PM
Part of the problem is that the media goes all DEFCON 1 for practically any weather-related reason, so it is difficult to judge how bad something is really going to be. Watching a lot of news yesterday I noticed that really what I was seeing was about the same as the last time we had a (much weaker) snow storm.

Letting people know how bad the storm is going to be on some sort of severity level system might be helpful, but I suspect the media doesn't do this for fear that people would simply ignore all but the worst of storms.

gmwise
12-26-2009, 12:36 AM
No I simply am tired of those dumbasses who could have stayed home, but choose to put themselves and now others in a preventive situation.
Its not like there wasnt a warning.
I think they should be required to pay a heavy fine, if my brother or sister or son has to be activated to pull their asses out of the snow drift or a flooded street.
And yes if they acting out as dumbasses they are inferior.
NO DAMN HOLIDAY OR PRESENT IS WORTH THAT.

oneforone
12-26-2009, 07:35 AM
No I simply am tired of those dumbasses who could have stayed home, but choose to put themselves and now others in a preventive situation.
I think they should be required to pay a heavy fine, if my brother or sister or son has to be activated to pull their asses out of the snow drift or a flooded street.

That is all well and good until you yourself are one of those "dumbasses". I am sure you have commited a few acts in your life where people wondered if your head was screwed on straight.

The bulk of the people out were those of us commuting to and from work. Not everybody works in a job that gives you two weeks off at the end of the year to enjoy the holidays.

Not to mention, many folks live on a shoestring budget and have no choice other than finish their shopping on Christmas Eve.

You also have those folks that get busy with other holiday events and realize at the last minute they still have gifts or food to purchase.

Last but not least is that parent that wants to make a last ditch effort at finding that gift their child desires that has been sold out for weeks.

I worked retail for 8 years. On Christmas Eve of year I saw people from all walks of life. The worst ones were the high society types that walked in expecting the red carpet be rolled out for them along with head of the line privelages.

It does not matter what you do, people will always be doing the unthinkable and ending up in preventable situations. The best thing you can do is take care of yourself and learn from the mistakes of others. Stop worrying about the stress other people bring on themselves.

The tow truck drivers, police, fire and EMS workers were more than well compensated for this mess. Not to mention the storm gave a few people the opportunity to do some good deeds on Thursday.

I for one would like to express my sincere thanks to the gentleman in the orange Chevy Avalanche that pulled me out at NE 10th and Air Depot. He made my day.

I would also like to thank everyone else out there who took a moment to help out a stranded/stuck stranger. The world needs more people like you. If more people stepped up and helped out like you do, we would not have half the problems we have in the world today.

bluedogok
12-26-2009, 10:38 AM
I have know more than a few "highly educated professionals" who are completely oblivious to local news and weather, they got alltheir "news" from places like NPR or BBC radio. On those days when it would be a nice morning and a storm would blow in during the day they would be completely unprepared. They didn't keep anything warm in their cars "just in case".

LakeEffect
12-26-2009, 10:54 AM
I have know more than a few "highly educated professionals" who are completely oblivious to local news and weather, they got alltheir "news" from places like NPR or BBC radio. On those days when it would be a nice morning and a storm would blow in during the day they would be completely unprepared. They didn't keep anything warm in their cars "just in case".

Same here. I shared some of the most recent predictions with my coworkers before we left on Wed. and nearly all of the 8 people left had no idea it was even predicted...

RedDirt717
12-26-2009, 11:01 AM

It's just offensive to say something like what you said earlier. I just find it funny that some of you lefties would say something so offensive, you "help the homeless" types.

What's the difference in what you said and some right wing nut case saying we should let all the homeless people die, because they're a drain on our resources and are obviously genetically inferior? How they're sick and tired of their tax dollars going toward trying to help someone that can't help themselves, or something of the like?

Are you starting to get why someone might find what your saying offensive, or is that bleeding heart just assigned to certain social classes?

gmwise
12-26-2009, 12:13 PM

And I find it funny that the "righties" demand personal accountability but yet want SOCIETY, to bail them out...

MadMonk
12-26-2009, 12:22 PM
LOL, I guess only "righties" go out in the snow when gmwise thinks they shouldn't.

RedDirt717
12-26-2009, 12:26 PM

I'm not a "righty" though, am I? Also you need to be more specific with the "bailout", because I'm pretty sure most "righties" vehemently oppose the bailouts.

Pointing a finger at someone else seems to be the left's best defense these days, instead of taking responsibility for their own actions and words.

Oh well, I guess I shouldn't be surprised you'd retort by pointing fingers.

I'm sure it's all Bush's fault anyway. :bright_id

bretthexum
12-26-2009, 12:46 PM

LOL, I thought Bush's weather making machine was turned off when Obama took office?

gmwise
12-26-2009, 01:07 PM
It's just offensive to say something like what you said earlier. I just find it funny that some of you lefties would say something so offensive, you "help the homeless" types.

What's the difference in what you said and some right wing nut case saying we should let all the homeless people die, because they're a drain on our resources and are obviously genetically inferior? How they're sick and tired of their tax dollars going toward trying to help someone that can't help themselves, or something of the like?

Are you starting to get why someone might find what your saying offensive, or is that bleeding heart just assigned to certain social classes?
I'm not a "righty" though, am I? Also you need to be more specific with the "bailout", because I'm pretty sure most "righties" vehemently oppose the bailouts.

Pointing a finger at someone else seems to be the left's best defense these days, instead of taking responsibility for their own actions and words.

I'm not really sure if 2 people share this account or its just a symptom of a bi polar person.

gmwise
12-26-2009, 01:10 PM
Same here. I shared some of the most recent predictions with my coworkers before we left on Wed. and nearly all of the 8 people left had no idea it was even predicted...

Paris Hilton suffers from the lack of common sense as well.

betts
12-26-2009, 01:15 PM
Some people had to go to work and drive home again. My husband's car got stuck 2 blocks from our house, and I think it might have just gotten towed. He's working today and tried valiantly to get it out yesterday, without success. He'll be thrilled to find out it's missing.

RedDirt717
12-26-2009, 02:06 PM
I'm not really sure if 2 people share this account or its just a symptom of a bi polar person.

That made no sense.

I figured personal attacks would come next. They always do when there is nothing left to say.

dismayed
12-26-2009, 02:20 PM
For some reason this quote comes to mind....

"I don't make merry at Christmas myself gentlemen and I can't afford to make idle people merry. I help to support the establishments that I have mentioned [prisons and work-houses] -- and those who are badly off should go there.... If they had rather die they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Words of Ebeneezer Scrooge, from A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens.

gmwise
12-26-2009, 02:55 PM
That made no sense.

I figured personal attacks would come next. They always do when there is nothing left to say.

Originally Posted by RedDirt717

I'm sure it's all Bush's fault anyway.

JUST quoting your (or your other personality) own words back to you, or did you bothered to read your ramblings?

RedDirt717
12-26-2009, 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by RedDirt717

I'm sure it's all Bush's fault anyway.

JUST quoting your (or your other personality) own words back to you, or did you bothered to read your ramblings?

I'm neither on the left or right, so I dont know what your point could possibly be? You're just distracting from the original point that it's somehow to make a joke about people being eliminated from out gene pool if they're on the road, but saying something similar about, say, homeless people would be offensive.

You're direct response to me was pointing out that the right wingers want society to bail them out when the vast majority of them do not. It was a false statement aimed toward shifting the emphasis on what righties are doing wrong instead of actually addressing my point. It's called evasion.

So answer this question.

Is it OK to joke about letting homeless people die, to let natural selection take place?

gmwise
12-26-2009, 04:22 PM

I'm just tired of people not using common sense.
The forecast has been warning for DAYS.
The same dumbasses driving past barricades "HIGH FLOOD WATERS" or "STREET FLOODED", are the same ones who disregard the warnings, and the responders have to go out and help those dumbasses.
As for the joking the only ones who would be upset is the ones it was meant for.