View Full Version : Oklahoma City snowstorm of the century

Pages : [1] 2

wsucougz
12-24-2009, 11:33 AM
First!

Discuss.

SOONER8693
12-24-2009, 11:41 AM
It sucks. Wife is a flight attendant for United Airlines, trying to get home for Christmas from Denver. Probably not gonna happen.

kevinpate
12-24-2009, 11:50 AM
It sucks. Wife is a flight attendant for United Airlines, trying to get home for Christmas from Denver. Probably not gonna happen.

Hopes she makes it safely home to you.

Our flight issues weren't weather related, just unplanned and crowd related. Elder son blew car motor last week and so we switched plans to flying standby yesterday. Our backup plan was an old high school friend outside of ATL was going to kidnap him for the holiday if we dinna get him out. We were blessed by him making it on the 3rd flight and picked him up at OKC early yesterday eve.

Wishbone
12-24-2009, 11:53 AM
I-40 at Banner road going west is closed as well as the H.E. Bailey turnpike from Chickasaw to the State line. Batten down the hatch's!!!

Platemaker
12-24-2009, 11:57 AM
...as opposed to 'Icestorm of the Century'???

kevinpate
12-24-2009, 12:00 PM
...as opposed to 'Icestorm of the Century'???

I thought that was a three way tie Dec 87 and Dec 00 and Dec. 07?

rcjunkie
12-24-2009, 01:06 PM
I'm in my cabin at Lake Tenkiller, not much going on here, a little sleet and snow. I have a fridge/freezer full of food and Corona, plenty of firewood----let it snow let it snow.

Everyone stay warm and be safe

soonerguru
12-24-2009, 01:16 PM
I'm in my cabin at Lake Tenkiller, not much going on here, a little sleet and snow. I have a fridge/freezer full of food and Corona, plenty of firewood----let it snow let it snow.

Everyone stay warm and be safe

Good for you. That sounds like a great place to get cozy and enjoy a fire. Don't try to drive on those Cookson Hills, though.

wsucougz
12-24-2009, 01:52 PM
Boy, you're cool.

I was first, that means I win. I'm sorry if that makes me cooler than you, which it does.

village idiot
12-24-2009, 02:23 PM
So, is there anything more overrated than a White Christmas?

PennyQuilts
12-24-2009, 02:25 PM
Someone is enjoying the blizzard: YouTube - Evelyn and Pearl during the OKC Blizzard of 2009 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtZcxp0WRes)

MGE1977
12-24-2009, 02:31 PM
Stuck at Baptist with a transferred pt. I helped take from ICVRH this am.

Baptsist is huge, and if not for OKC Talk, I'd have nobody to talk to.

Merry Christmas, family for everyone I hope.

Spartan
12-24-2009, 02:32 PM
Considering I'm home for the break from school in Calgary..I just don't see what the big deal is.

I think I'm gonna go put some shorts on and a hockey t-shirt and go get some food at Braum's.

If anyone wants to come with me send me a PM. Other than that be safe and Merry Christmas y'all.

Dustin
12-24-2009, 02:40 PM
I really hope those people stuck on the highway stay warm!!!

Lauri101
12-24-2009, 03:26 PM
My Facebook pictures - Christmas Eve Blizzard (http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=48095&id=1314194897&l=ca2dee3f75)

Just came in from shoveling a path to garage - still blowing snow - not sure if still falling or just re-arranging existing snow!

wsucougz
12-24-2009, 03:27 PM
Considering I'm home for the break from school in Calgary..I just don't see what the big deal is.

I think I'm gonna go put some shorts on and a hockey t-shirt and go get some food at Braum's.

If anyone wants to come with me send me a PM. Other than that be safe and Merry Christmas y'all.

YOU brought this to us.

smooth
12-24-2009, 03:27 PM
I thought that was a three way tie Dec 87 and Dec 00 and Dec. 07?

Actually, your examples would be impossible to be the "storm of the century." The first was in the 20th century. We are in the 21st century. Plus, one can not really say whatever "of the century" when it is only 1/10 finished.

workman45
12-24-2009, 03:33 PM
Left OKC by the fairgrounds at 8:30 AM headed to the East side of the state (south of Sallisaw). Finally out ran the ice at 10 AM. Did see one wreck on I-40 that had flipped. Temperature here is now dropping fairly quickly and is at 39 degrees.

Lauri101
12-24-2009, 04:27 PM
Left OKC by the fairgrounds at 8:30 AM headed to the East side of the state (south of Sallisaw). Finally out ran the ice at 10 AM. Did see one wreck on I-40 that had flipped. Temperature here is now dropping fairly quickly and is at 39 degrees.

We were supposed to go to Poteau for Christmas with daughter and family but didn't make it out of town in time. This is first time I've missed Christmas morning with my grandson.
:missing:

SkyWestOKC
12-24-2009, 04:28 PM
http://www.okctalk.com/current-events/19968-december-09-weather-discussion.html

Being discussed in the later part of the thread. (Pages 4+)

rcjunkie
12-24-2009, 04:31 PM
We were supposed to go to Poteau for Christmas with daughter and family but didn't make it out of town in time. This is first time I've missed Christmas morning with my grandson.
:missing:

It's better that you and your family are safe, hope you have a Merry Christmas.

I have lot's of family in and near Poteau, Heavener, Howe, Wister, beautiful part of the State.

familyguy
12-24-2009, 04:45 PM
I was first, that means I win. I'm sorry if that makes me cooler than you, which it does.

Not quite first. Been discussed for quite some time now.

http://www.okctalk.com/current-events/19968-december-09-weather-discussion-3.html#post283814

kevinpate
12-24-2009, 04:47 PM
Waves to others with kin in the Cavanal/Sugerloaf Valley.
We won't be joining fam there this year either. Not our first Christmas to be away, some weather based, some birth based, some illness based.

However, in light of how time continues to march forward, missing this year is a tad more worrisome for me.

We have my wife's dad with us though, who may be here a bit longer than he expected to be, lol, and our kiddos and grandbaby and grandson to be are all safely here. Have a niece nearby who we'll fetch tomorrow since she dinna get home to her momma before the storm.

It's a rare Christmas morn that isn't spent in Poteau, but we have health, for this year anyways, phones and webcams. It could be worse.

Peace and blessings to all, wherever you are.

buckt
12-24-2009, 04:54 PM
My major concern is for those who are stuck in their cars some where around Okla. Sounds like there could be hundreds - very, very dangerous. Yeah - we had family plans for tonight and tomorrow. But at this point I'm grateful we are all safe and warm at home!

PennyQuilts
12-24-2009, 04:58 PM
Son and daughter-in-law left NYC at 1:00, yesterday. Made it to Stroud and are getting a motel.

Daughter and son-in-law left Stillwater at 1:00. After various adventures, including the hour and a half it took to go 12 blocks on May avenue, they are getting a motel. Normally, that is a 15 minute drive from here.

Other daughter, the one that caused me to shed a tear over having her flight cancelled, is staying with a favorite cousin in Houston, going to their little one's Christmas pageant, getting presents, a hot shower, a warm bed and a ride to the airport to catch her flight to OKC in the morning. As she said, F-YOU White Christmas! Last I heard, her siblings were in dark, nasty motels on Christmas Eve while she was throwing back margaritas in a beautifully decorated home with family and little ones anxious for Santa to arrive. Now that my chicks are safely tucked in for the night, I am going to go break open a bottle of wine. Tomorrow will be better.

Merry Christmas Eve!! Count your blessings - I am!

Andrew4OU
12-24-2009, 06:40 PM
14 inches of snow reported at Will Rogers... DEFINITELY a winter storm of the century... if not ever.

Spartan
12-24-2009, 06:46 PM
Decade..not century.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
12-24-2009, 06:46 PM
I disagree with calling it a "blizzard".

I've been in a blizzard, and this aint it.

Still pretty kickass though. I'm loving it.

windowphobe
12-24-2009, 06:55 PM
Well, NewsOK had a KnowIt item up earlier, and they report that 11.3 inches fell on March 19, 1924.

I don't have any problem with calling it "century."

http://downloads.newsok.com/knowit/okcsnowfall.pdf

soonerguru
12-24-2009, 07:18 PM
I disagree with calling it a "blizzard".

I've been in a blizzard, and this aint it.

Still pretty kickass though. I'm loving it.

The hundreds of people stuck in snow drifts across the state disagree with you.

On Channel 4, one of the reporters said he grew up in Minnesota and went to college in Iowa and said this is the worst blizzard he's ever seen.

I imagine if you were out driving in the 60 MPH WINDS, with 2 INCHES OF SNOW PER HOUR, you might have a different perspective.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
12-24-2009, 07:34 PM
I was out driving in it. In a 2wd pickup and no extra weight in the bed. When people get stuck in snow drifts so large, they can't open the doors and windows, and people don't even find the cars for 3 days because the drifts swallow them whole...That's a blizzard (to me, the actual definition probably is a bit more vague). I've been in Minnesota in January, I lived in Colorado for three years, I know what big snow is and I've experienced real cold weather. Hell, I've been in the water with nothing more than shorts on both north of the Arctic Circle and south of the Antarctic Circle (I don't advise doing this by the way, it's quite painful).

I'm not trying to marginalize the people that get into trouble in this, but the only reason it's dangerous is because people don't know what to do. And that's terrible and I feel for them. But the collective jazz hands of the weather people in this state never ceases to amaze me.

*waves hands*

"ZOMGWTFBBQ!!!! IT'S A BLIZZARD!!!! STOCK UP ON CANNED GOODS!!! zZOOMG!!!!"

It's not THAT bad. Just bad for here and people aren't used to it.

jbrown84
12-24-2009, 08:14 PM
I know someone who was stuck in his car for hours trying to get home. Ultimately had to get a ride to a hotel.

Another friend is a paramedic and had 20 calls today--at least one death--and was covered in blood at one point.

Kinda puts things in perspective. All our family plans were called off tonight and everybody is stuck inside.

Platemaker
12-24-2009, 08:31 PM
Decade..not century.

It's the most snow we've had in a day since record keeping.... so OVER a century.

wsucougz
12-24-2009, 10:43 PM
Not quite first. Been discussed for quite some time now.

Dammit. My reputation is destroyed.

Spartan
12-24-2009, 11:10 PM
There have been 17 inch snowstorms in OKC before.

That aint nothin in a lot of places..

Larry OKC
12-24-2009, 11:41 PM
While we may have gotten more snow from a storm (over a multiple day period) this IS the most OKC has EVER gotten in a single day.

OKCisOK4me
12-25-2009, 12:20 AM
I was out driving in it. In a 2wd pickup and no extra weight in the bed. When people get stuck in snow drifts so large, they can't open the doors and windows, and people don't even find the cars for 3 days because the drifts swallow them whole...That's a blizzard (to me, the actual definition probably is a bit more vague). I've been in Minnesota in January, I lived in Colorado for three years, I know what big snow is and I've experienced real cold weather. Hell, I've been in the water with nothing more than shorts on both north of the Arctic Circle and south of the Antarctic Circle (I don't advise doing this by the way, it's quite painful).

I'm not trying to marginalize the people that get into trouble in this, but the only reason it's dangerous is because people don't know what to do. And that's terrible and I feel for them. But the collective jazz hands of the weather people in this state never ceases to amaze me.

*waves hands*

"ZOMGWTFBBQ!!!! IT'S A BLIZZARD!!!! STOCK UP ON CANNED GOODS!!! zZOOMG!!!!"

It's not THAT bad. Just bad for here and people aren't used to it.

There are technically only three requirements for a storm to be considered a blizzard: a) Rate of Snowfall b) Windspeed c) Visibility.

So you've experienced crazier blizzards, but today was still a blizzard, by definition.

There have been 17 inch snowstorms in OKC before.

That aint nothin in a lot of places..

Yes, when I was 5 years old in 1983 (I believe it was), I remember playing in the snow and it was a thick heavy snow, at least two feet deep on the ground! I think that was a two day snow. Hella wicked...

But on average, I think central Oklahoma gets something like 6.5 inches of snow annually, if not less. The last time I saw a crazy amount like this was my freshman year of high school in March of 1994. OKC had 13 inches of snow that day and then the next day it was 60 degrees--obviously not going to happen tomorrow!

metro
12-25-2009, 11:56 AM

I guess your tough then. OKC's new shock jock Spartan, soon to be filling in for Mark Shannon.

nik4411
12-25-2009, 11:59 AM
ha ha @ metro.

nik4411
12-25-2009, 12:13 PM
I'm trying to get my girlfriend over here to fort smith from Norman...can anyone tell me how the interstates are? any good websites that keep updated on the road conditions? she wouldn't leave until tomorrow so I'm hoping they will be OK.

village idiot
12-25-2009, 01:02 PM
To CHECK THE CURRENT ROAD CONDITIONS, call the Department of Public Safety's Road Conditions Hotline at 888-425-2385.

OUT OF STATE ROAD CONDITIONS

Arkansas: 800-245-1672

Colorado: 303-639-1111

Kansas: 866-511-5368

Missouri: 800-222-6400

New Mexico: 800-432-4269

Texas 800-452-9292

jbrown84
12-25-2009, 02:04 PM
It's like the Rapture.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2712/4213401277_ab76da6538.jpg

Lauri101
12-25-2009, 02:20 PM
It's like the Rapture.

Or hell freezing over?

nik4411
12-25-2009, 02:51 PM
thanks village idiot.

Urbanized
12-25-2009, 03:31 PM
I'm sorry; 14 inches was a BS number, at least in central OKC. I have seen at least one storm in OKC leave far more snow on the ground. 1988 left more than a foot as an even layer. It was far more dramatic accumulation. This snow, thanks to the wind, left lots of bare spots, and I have yet to see a drift of much over two feet or so.

I would guess the actual accumulation downtown at about six inches. They said last night on the weather that they get accumulation numbers from random measurements and then sampling. I'm guessing "random measurements" means running from snowdrift to snow drift. With that wind, there is no way to get an accurate average. Don't get me wrong; six inches is enough to bring this city to its knees, and it obviously did, after getting out and driving around a bit today.

I think with the ridiculous wind you could make an argument that it was a historic-type snowSTORM, but there is no way those accumulation numbers are accurate. I've seen it several times growing up in Kansas, or at least 14" over several days' time, and it doesn't look anything like what we have outside right now. Ask someone who has actually SEEN 14" of snow in 24 hours and I'm betting they will tell you the same.

soonerguru
12-25-2009, 04:10 PM
I'm sorry; 14 inches was a BS number, at least in central OKC. I have seen at least one storm in OKC leave far more snow on the ground. 1988 left more than a foot as an even layer. It was far more dramatic accumulation. This snow, thanks to the wind, left lots of bare spots, and I have yet to see a drift of much over two feet or so.

I would guess the actual accumulation downtown at about six inches. They said last night on the weather that they get accumulation numbers from random measurements and then sampling. I'm guessing "random measurements" means running from snowdrift to snow drift. With that wind, there is no way to get an accurate average. Don't get me wrong; six inches is enough to bring this city to its knees, and it obviously did, after getting out and driving around a bit today.

I think with the ridiculous wind you could make an argument that it was a historic-type snowSTORM, but there is no way those accumulation numbers are accurate. I've seen it several times growing up in Kansas, or at least 14" over several days' time, and it doesn't look anything like what we have outside right now. Ask someone who has actually SEEN 14" of snow in 24 hours and I'm betting they will tell you the same.

Urbanized,

My wife thought similarly to you until she actually went outside. We had every bit of 14 inches in our yard on the west side of town. Not sure about downtown.

nik4411
12-25-2009, 04:26 PM
so, from personal experience, how is I-35 and I-40? are they cleared of snow and ice? have they been sanded and salted? will they be ok tomorrow?

Lauri101
12-25-2009, 04:37 PM
We had drifts over 5 feet tall on south side of our house. That being said - the wind caused those, obviously.

I'm a bit skeptical of the 14 inches, but it was easily 7" or so in OSM of Midwest City. Still can't get out of driveway after hour or so of shoveling. Got enough cleared to let sun work tomorrow. At least we have electricity and internet/cable/etc.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
12-25-2009, 04:43 PM
I bet we got 6-8 inches here in Choctaw...That seems to be the most common depth.

But I've got a 5' tall drift on the east side of my house...I know it's that tall because pretty much just my head was just poking out of the top of it when I stood up inside it (I'm about 5'11" tall) :D

It was also a PITA to dig out the AC fan thingy...By the way...You heater doesn't work so well when that thing is buried under a drift. It was 66 in the house this morning.

FritterGirl
12-25-2009, 04:56 PM
We live in SW Edmond / N Oklahoma City. Experienced about the same as others. Probably only about 7"-9" of straight accumulation, but very hefty drifts.

I got caught out in it yesterday afternoon, and had to abandon my car. Thankfully, I was at a gas station, and not on the road.

We finally dug me out about noon today, after getting some salt melt to help de-ice the areas under the tires and get me some traction.

Had to cancel Christmas dinner with parents and in-laws, so will reschdule for Sunday afternoon.

Hope everyone is safe.

Urbanized
12-25-2009, 05:05 PM
Aw man, Christmas dinner at the parents' is always top-notch...

FritterGirl
12-25-2009, 05:08 PM
Aw man, Christmas dinner at the parents' is always top-notch...

They were coming to our place, so not quite the same. Had Thanksgiving at my parents, so yes, top notch it was! :wink:

stratosphere
12-25-2009, 07:15 PM
im guessing 8" around my house, some parts of the driveway were more like 12" due to drifts and there were bigger ones than that around my house and out back.

rcjunkie
12-25-2009, 07:22 PM
I'm snowed/iced in at my cabin on Lake Tenkiller, plent of food, drink, my labs (Harley & Davidson) firewood, blues CD's and wireless internet, "life is good"

Spartan
12-25-2009, 07:30 PM
SW OKC is fine. Western and Penn are kind of rough with chunks of ice but I never slid or got stuck. SW 134th is scraped and sanded and cars were able to go 30/35 mph. There's a hill on 119th between Penn and May (in front of Village Green) that some little cars had difficultly topping. Nothing along I-240 is open, but cars were moving pretty well up on the highway.

Sonic at Penn and 134th is open if anyone's hungry..the other Sonics are probably open. Thank goodness for them..turkey leftovers from last night kept putting me asleep.

We have one snowdrift in front of our house that's taller than a Mitsubishi Eclipse.

okcphotoguy76
12-26-2009, 12:59 AM
Here is a gallery of images I took around Oklahoma City during and after the historic 2009 Blizzard!

Oklahoma City Blizzard 2009 - Images | Alonzo Adams Photography (http://www.photoshelter.com/c/alonzoadamsphoto/gallery/Oklahoma-City-Blizzard-2009/G0000hW10UpXLifc/)

buckt
12-26-2009, 10:09 AM
Here is a gallery of images I took around Oklahoma City during and after the historic 2009 Blizzard!

Oklahoma City Blizzard 2009 - Images | Alonzo Adams Photography (http://www.photoshelter.com/c/alonzoadamsphoto/gallery/Oklahoma-City-Blizzard-2009/G0000hW10UpXLifc/)

Wow...thanks for sharing the pics!!

kmf563
12-26-2009, 10:28 AM
OGTS - I drove home Christmas Eve from work. 1 mile from the airport to Edmond. I left work thinking whoo hoo...we got released early again because the news over exaggerates! yeah! One hour later I reached the entrance to the turnpike. That is normally a 6 minute drive. I have never minded driving in bad weather - ice/snow/hail/tornado whatever. I promise you it was a blizzard. I could not tell if I was on a road or not. The wind was so bad that at one point I stopped to get some ice off my wipers that had built up and I couldn't open the door to get out. Visibility - zero. Hazard lights on and the fastest I went until the Northside of town was about 10mph. I will tell you that the further North I got, the better it was. But then that's where I hit the snow drifts and couldn't exit anywhere. I made it home without a wreck or getting stuck. But it took 3 hours and it sucked. So from Choctaw it may not have appeared to be a blizzard, but coming out of El Reno it absolutely was.

At my house the snow was halfway up my front door. I finally was able to move it and get out yesterday. I got halfway across my yard and the snow was up to my waist. At least 5' drifts and 2' standard across the yard.

flintysooner
12-26-2009, 10:46 AM
We have livestock that have to have water and feed. So I was caught out in the weather on the road and it was definitely a blizzard where I was. Visibility was near zero but there were enough places I could either see some blacktop or a little piece of striping that I made it out. Then the drifts were already bad and I have a 4 wheel drive SUV.

Returning the visibility had improved but the drifts were much worse and many intersections were just parking lots except that many of the cars still had people in them.

Reminded me of a really bad storm we had back in about 1969 I think.

Bunty
12-26-2009, 11:30 AM
OGTS - I drove home Christmas Eve from work. 1 mile from the airport to Edmond. I left work thinking whoo hoo...we got released early again because the news over exaggerates! yeah! One hour later I reached the entrance to the turnpike. That is normally a 6 minute drive. I have never minded driving in bad weather - ice/snow/hail/tornado whatever. I promise you it was a blizzard. I could not tell if I was on a road or not. The wind was so bad that at one point I stopped to get some ice off my wipers that had built up and I couldn't open the door to get out. Visibility - zero. Hazard lights on and the fastest I went until the Northside of town was about 10mph. I will tell you that the further North I got, the better it was. But then that's where I hit the snow drifts and couldn't exit anywhere. I made it home without a wreck or getting stuck. But it took 3 hours and it sucked. So from Choctaw it may not have appeared to be a blizzard, but coming out of El Reno it absolutely was.

At my house the snow was halfway up my front door. I finally was able to move it and get out yesterday. I got halfway across my yard and the snow was up to my waist. At least 5' drifts and 2' standard across the yard.

Adding on to that would be if it was already dark when you started. I probably would have given up had it been dark.