View Full Version : Thunder trade for Eric Maynor

Richard at Remax
12-22-2009, 05:34 PM
Oklahoma City Thunder acquire rookie guard Eric Maynor from the Utah Jazz - ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4766058)

Maynor headed to Thunder

OKLAHOMA CITY -- The Oklahoma City Thunder are shaking up their backup point guard position, acquiring rookie Eric Maynor in a trade with the Utah Jazz.

Maynor, the 20th overall pick in this year's draft, was averaging 5.2 points and 3.1 assists in 26 games with the Jazz this season.

The Jazz will get the rights to 2002 draft pick Peter Fehse, who has never played in the NBA.

Oklahoma City also agreed to take on the contract of injured veteran Matt Harpring, who won't actually join the Thunder.

The Thunder waived backup point guards Shaun Livingston and Mike Wilks to make room for Maynor.

I personally think this a great trade for the thunder. He will be a solid PG as a backup to westbrook for now. Even though I was a livingston fan he never panned out and I was disappointed for him. Wilks was never in the long term plans either. I read some of the comments on the Salt Lake tribune and thier fans are livid.

Watson410
12-22-2009, 07:07 PM
Presti is a GENIUS!!!! This is a great trade. Maynor was an absolute stud in college last season and has A LOT of potential!!

nwnormanok
12-22-2009, 07:11 PM
VERY solid pickup. He has played well for the Jazz this year as a rookie. Probably doesn't have a superstar-level ceiling, but could be a solid part of the rotation for years to come. And even if he doesn't pan out for the Thunder, this was a very low-risk deal.

I am sad to see Livingston go. I was really hoping he could get his career back on track here, but it looks like it is not to be. He seems like a solid guy, and he has worked very hard to come back from an exremely serious injury, and I hope he is able to catch on with somebody else and start to fulfill his, what I believe to still be, enormous potential.

Wishbone
12-23-2009, 05:17 AM
The Thunder stole a great young PG in Maynor. This team keeps compiling very good young talent. They are already showing their potential and they got even better today and younger today. Their core group is now:

Durant (21), Westbrook (21), Green (23), Harden (20), Sefolosha (25), Maynor (22), Ibaka (20)

That is a very solid group of players to build a team with. Plus even with this trade they have a ton of money to work with.

Now they need to go and get a big man.

TaoMaas
12-23-2009, 05:34 AM
I keep thinking that we're only one player away from being a serious contender. I've always said that the Chicago Bulls, even though they'd had Michael Jordan for several years, were just so-so until they got Scotty Pippin. That's not to say that Scotty was better than Michael. But he was talented enough to keep teams from double-teaming Jordan, thereby freeing Michael up to do his thing. I think the Thunder have the right supporting cast. We just need to find one more star.

dalelakin
12-23-2009, 06:18 AM
Presti is a genius, this trade is the direct result of his superior ability to work within the confines of the salary cap. Utah had to do this to get under the luxury tax and OKC was the only team capable of accepting both salaries. Sam will build a winner here just a matter of time...

Laramie
12-23-2009, 11:18 AM
Presti is a GENIUS!!!! This is a great trade. Maynor was an absolute stud in college last season and has A LOT of potential!!

This was definitely a trade that will build the team's bond & chemistry.

Presti indeed knows what to put into the batter (mix).

Is C. J. Miles still available (?); the Thunder really helped put Utah over the cap when they (Utah) had to up the ante on C. J. Miles last year to keep him in Salt Lake City.

The Thunder should handle the Lakers much better next season and with a lot of confidence.

IF we should by chance make it to the playoffs? This will be a great series with OKC against Los Angeles.

Watson410
12-23-2009, 06:30 PM
C.J. Miles is still under contract from our offer that the Jazz countered.. The Jazz are going through a little bit of what the Thunder are going to be going through in a few years.. They have a hand full of high contract players and only so much money to go around. The Jazz are clearing CAP for someone like Randolph (another high contract), which ended up working to the advantage of the Thunder. a solid backup PG that could end up pushing Westbrook... for basically nothing!!

Laramie
01-05-2010, 03:20 PM
Eric Maynor is certainly a great addition to this up and coming Thunder roster!

I see Russell Westbrook getting better upon Maynor's arrival.

This team is acquiring the dept that will allow its strong bench to step up on nights that
our Supreme trio (Durant-Green-Westbrook); should one or two of them have an off night.

Nice work, Sam Presti!