View Full Version : News Flash: Okc Cares More About Public Safety

Doug Loudenback
12-21-2009, 04:04 PM
... or so says the head of the Tulsa FOP: From the Tulsa World (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=16&articleid=20091221_11_A1_Alittl357314&allcom=1):

Tulsa's pay lags that of OKC, many peer cities
A new Oklahoma City firefighter makes $40,027 a year. Tulsa firefighters start at $35,790, which includes a 3 percent contribution by the city to the employee's pension. The base salary for rookie Tulsa firefighters is $34,747, city records show.

Oklahoma City can afford to pay more because it has a three-quarters-of-a-cent sales tax dedicated to public safety. Its share of the city's sales tax revenues is 3.875 percent, compared with Tulsa's 3 percent.

"It just shows that they put a lot more emphasis on public safety there," said Phil Evans, the president of Tulsa's Fraternal Order of Police Lodge 93.
Interesting stuff ...

Spartan
12-21-2009, 04:07 PM
That article is weirdly written, or full of misinformation, I can't be sure. Public safety gets the 3/4th dedicated penny tax PLUS a majority of the general obligation fund. That's a heck of a lot more than 3.875% -- I think that they mean that is OKC and Tulsa's overall sales tax rates.

Good ol Whirled journalism. Can't tell what they're trying to get across..

Doug Loudenback
12-21-2009, 04:10 PM
I thought it was kind of funny, though ... maybe the 2 FOP presidents need to get together.

Spartan
12-21-2009, 04:26 PM
I agree Doug. They got caught red-handed always trying to point to the other city as caring more about public safety (although Tulsa has actually produced charts and information unlike ourselves).

No matter what it will always be "[insert random city] cares more about public safety."

rcjunkie
12-21-2009, 06:07 PM
The spin from the firefighters on this one is going to be interesting to say the least.

soonerguru
12-21-2009, 08:52 PM
I thought, at least according to posters here like MikeMarsh, Barnold and others, that we don't care about public safety in OKC.......

rcjunkie
12-21-2009, 10:01 PM
I thought, at least according to posters here like MikeMarsh, Barnold and others, that we don't care about public safety in OKC.......

That was only during the election

andy157
12-21-2009, 11:18 PM
The spin from the firefighters on this one is going to be interesting to say the least.Whats to spin?

rcjunkie
12-22-2009, 05:18 AM
Whats to spin?

Give it time, you'll find something

andy157
12-22-2009, 05:46 AM
Give it time, you'll find somethingI take it you've stopped taking your (chill pill) meds. What a shame, they appeared to be working there for a day or two.

rcjunkie
12-22-2009, 06:12 AM
I take it you've stopped taking your (chill pill) meds. What a shame, they appeared to be working there for a day or two.

Not at all, it's just that I see the same old pity me, we need more, we deserve more, we want more spew and it gets old, and believe it or not, it's still a free World and my opinion counts just as much as yours.

MGE1977
12-22-2009, 08:08 AM
Not at all, it's just that I see the same old pity me, we need more, we deserve more, we want more spew and it gets old, and believe it or not, it's still a free World and my opinion counts just as much as yours.

You are right. You count just as much.

If it has been established that every department across the globe has been given yearly mandates to cut budgets, which is normal, and every department across the globe rallies to keep the highest standards of living for its constituents, (also normal) , then it seems as though we have established a baseline of past and indeed future negotiations.

Of course we want more, of course people in your position want to cut more, and then we negotiate, sometimes you win and sometimes our side prevails.

You can get sick of the same old "pity me" in one hand, and then fill the other with your verbal dissentary and see which one fills up fastest.

And count yourself and your opinion double, its obvious to me you need the support, perhaps just a neckbrace will suffice.

Laramie
12-22-2009, 11:51 AM
... or so says the head of the Tulsa FOP: From the Tulsa World (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=16&articleid=20091221_11_A1_Alittl357314&allcom=1):

Interesting stuff ...

Many Thanks Doug, people really needed to see that! OKC Public Safety (Fire/Police) encompasses almost 2/3 of our City's budget and they wanted a piece of MAPS 3.

Many people are doing without--Police & Fire will just have to do the same and wait until the economy gets a little better.

I feel as though MAPS will provide more sales revenue moving into the 20l7-2020 era...

Mikemarsh51
12-22-2009, 02:46 PM
RCJunkie, thanks for helping me get a handle on things. All of a sudden I fell down right awful for asking for a "cost of living adjustment". I feel absolutley horrible for asking our city fathers to keep staffing levels at 1999 levels. And when I ponder the thought of my mayor saying Maps has been good for everyone I feel oddly at peace because he is letting me know that everything will grow as the pie grows. I just didn't realize public safety was going to grow smaller. And yes, I am ashamed of myself!

OKCRT
12-22-2009, 03:47 PM
Greed,nothing more.

andy157
12-22-2009, 07:54 PM
Greed,nothing more.Ignorance, nothing more.

rcjunkie
12-22-2009, 11:02 PM
RCJunkie, thanks for helping me get a handle on things. All of a sudden I fell down right awful for asking for a "cost of living adjustment". I feel absolutley horrible for asking our city fathers to keep staffing levels at 1999 levels. And when I ponder the thought of my mayor saying Maps has been good for everyone I feel oddly at peace because he is letting me know that everything will grow as the pie grows. I just didn't realize public safety was going to grow smaller. And yes, I am ashamed of myself!

There you go with that we need more people crap, for God sake Mike let it go man. If you don't like the job the Mayor is doing, retire, resign, quit your underpaying job, raise some cash and run against him---I know where my vote will be!!

Let me know if your paycheck doesn't cover all your needs, I'll bring by a bag of groceries for you and the family.

Spartan
12-23-2009, 02:46 AM
Mike, I wouldn't consume those groceries..

Mikemarsh51
12-23-2009, 09:47 AM
RCJunkie, how are you going to staff the 3 new fire stations that the people voted to build in the 2007 GO bond issue?

Mikemarsh51
12-23-2009, 10:02 AM
RCpunkiebrewster, look at that, top right corner, spell check, Merry Christmas. Do I need to get your Lithium refilled for you?

Spartan
12-23-2009, 04:21 PM
RCJunkie, how are you going to staff the 3 new fire stations that the people voted to build in the 2007 GO bond issue?

Not to mention the one that still hasn't been built from a 2000 GO bond issue..

rcjunkie
12-23-2009, 04:30 PM
RCpunkiebrewster, look at that, top right corner, spell check, Merry Christmas. Do I need to get your Lithium refilled for you?

I see your still bitter about the election, I promise sweety, things will get better. Tell the misses I said hi.

Mikemarsh51
12-23-2009, 04:46 PM
RCJunkie, How on earth do you think I'm bitter, I love bike trails. I cant wait for the park. Just because I voted against it doesnt mean I can't enjoy it.

rcjunkie
12-23-2009, 04:53 PM
[QUOTE=Mikemarsh51;285281]RCJunkie, How on earth do you think I'm bitter, I love bike trails. I cant wait for the park. Just because I voted against it doesnt mean I can't enjoy it.[/QUOTE

ride safe