View Full Version : Why no big Bricktown Christmas Tree this year?

Doug Loudenback
12-19-2009, 06:18 PM
After seeing Avatar at the Harkins, my wife and I drove around to look at the lights. We were disappointed that no big tree was in Bricktown this year unlike years past, and the one in front of Sandridge wasn't so impressive given the size of the building in the background.

I give the city a thumbs down on this choice and trade off. On the other hand, lights around Bricktown generally and Myriad Gardens and Auto Alley were beautiful.

But, what's the deal about no big Bricktown Tree? Who made that choice? Inquiring minds want to know!

kevinpate
12-19-2009, 06:31 PM
Maybe their '09 tree fund went to the MAPs campaign?

Doug Loudenback
12-19-2009, 06:33 PM
Well, maybe. But didn't Downtown Now fund, wholly or partially, the Bricktown Tree in at least some former years? Is that correct, Kim Searles?

Dustin
12-19-2009, 06:52 PM
There needs to be a "Devon Christmas Tree" next year. One that rivals the Rockefeller Tree. I'm sure Devon of all companies could pull it off.

Steve
12-19-2009, 07:27 PM
Downtown Oklahoma City Inc. decided to move it to the plaza in front of SandRidge tower.

okcboy
12-19-2009, 07:32 PM
I wish we still had this tree
Oklahoma City KEY - Cover Story (http://www.keyokc.com/1205/story9)

Spartan
12-19-2009, 08:53 PM
I think that DT OKC Inc. put most of its efforts in A-Alley this year, but I could be wrong. I don't think A-Alley did that very impressive display all by themselves though.

bluedogok
12-19-2009, 09:28 PM
My wife has noticed fewer decorations out this year at commercial or public properties this year in Austin. People that we have known who have been to the city funded Trail of Lights display at Zilker Park have said it has been drastically cut even as they picked up corporate sponsorship this year, most have been very disappointed. Seems like it is happening everywhere this season.

bdhumphreys
12-20-2009, 09:46 AM
I think that DT OKC Inc. put most of its efforts in A-Alley this year, but I could be wrong. I don't think A-Alley did that very impressive display all by themselves though.

Property owners along Automobile Alley paid for the lights themselves. The lights aren't cheap, and it was on a volunteer basis, which is why not every building has them.

I don't think DT OKC Inc. was involved in any capacity.

LakeEffect
12-20-2009, 11:11 AM
Property owners along Automobile Alley paid for the lights themselves. The lights aren't cheap, and it was on a volunteer basis, which is why not every building has them.

I don't think DT OKC Inc. was involved in any capacity.

I was under the impression that the BID was paying for this...

kevinpate
12-20-2009, 11:14 AM
Thinking of tonight being a granddaughter enjoy the lights night.
A Alley, perhaps the zoo, then over to MWC. Not driving to Chickasha though. maybe end out on HWY 9 east.

Any others?

Steve
12-20-2009, 11:19 AM
I'm not sure about who is paying for Auto Alley - they do, however, a lot of their own funding for special projects beyond the BID.
But the tree is owned by Downtown OKC Inc., and despite whatever demands were made by sponsors, etc., it's still their decision ultimately as to where the tree will be placed.

bdhumphreys
12-20-2009, 04:13 PM
I was under the impression that the BID was paying for this...

Hmm...I could be wrong, but I thought I recalled hearing one of the participants indicate it was voluntary.

Perhaps the BID organized it, but the owners pay for it?

krisb
12-21-2009, 08:57 PM
I think they wanted to put greater emphasis on the Central Business District, which remains the most walkable and densely structured area of the city.