View Full Version : Decade brings many changes in Norman

dismayed
12-19-2009, 03:16 PM
Decade brings many changes in Norman
By James Tyree The Oklahoman
Published: December 12, 2009

NORMAN — Soon we will look back not only on the passing year, but also the entire decade of the 2000s.

A lot can happen in 10 years; some of it can be mind-boggling. My son, Trevor, started the decade in preschool. Now he is in high school.

Norman also has experienced startling growth and development. The city’s official population surpassed 100,000 in this decade, and that’s just the beginning. Interstate 35 is being widened to accommodate the area’s growth, and city leaders are working to expand Norman’s water supply.

The massive mound of dirt known as Mount Williams has given way to University North Park, a new commercial district that is becoming a formidable retail and dining destination in the metro area. The area includes the Embassy Suites Hotel and Convention Center, which helps turn Norman into a convenient and luxurious option for regional and even national meetings and conventions.

Mount Williams’ demolition did not leave the rest of Norman in the dust.

The Legacy Trail project started this decade to create wide, attractive paths for walking, running or biking, and now stretches from Campus Corner north to near Robinson Street and has six plazas that artistically explain Norman’s history.

Art district grows
Downtown got a facelift in the mid-2000s with improvements to Main Street that included new street paving and markings, traffic signals and lighting, and improved drainage and sewer systems.

And downtown, with its many art galleries, was declared an art district in 2007. The area now has frequent free concerts — topped by the Norman Music Festival in April, already a wild success after two years — and art events such as the Second Friday Circuit of Art.

The Circuit of Art includes the University of Oklahoma, which has experienced growth this decade that would put Trevor’s to shame.

OU has new, state-of-the-art buildings for its business, engineering and journalism colleges, while other new buildings and major renovations are under way.

But the crowning jewel is the south research campus, a once open field that now has the National Weather Center, the Stephenson Research and Technology Center and three buildings that put private businesses next to OU’s science programs and resources.

Beautiful new stations for OU police and transportation services are only a few blocks away.

Norman schools are also growing, and its residents recognized that this week by passing a $109.7 million bond issue that will create a new elementary school and improve all existing schools.

The Norman Regional HealthPlex, a five-story (so far) specialty hospital opened this fall, the CART bus system has expanded its service throughout the county, and on and on the list goes.

Norman is sure to continue its growth and improvement in the 2010s. But looking back on the past 10 years, as I can almost look eye-to-eye with my son, all I can say is "Wow, what a decade.”

Link:

NewsOK (http://newsok.com/decade-brings-many-changes-in-norman/article/3424621)

bbhill
12-20-2009, 08:24 AM
I'm not sure I'm as enthusiastic about University North Park as the writer is.

rcjunkie
12-20-2009, 08:27 AM

I agree, the only place I shop at University North Park is the Academy. I know they are still trying to lure major/name brand stores (William Sonoma, Crate & Barrel, etc;), maybe then I'll shop there more.

kevinpate
12-20-2009, 08:46 AM
I drive by it every so often. Thus far, popping into Target, thrice, have been my only park n walks. Others in the fam visit some shops a bit more frequently, but only a bit. Biggest impact on my life thus far is the absence of a close in star watching spot. No biggie, just found another.

venture
12-20-2009, 08:37 PM

I think it is hard to get all that enthusiastic about UNP until the Lifestyle Center is actually constructed and open. Depending on the status of that, will determine how well it does. Had that portion gone up with (or before) the rest of the developments, it would be looking at lot better there.

king183
12-21-2009, 10:36 AM
Yep...just another strip mall. It's nothing like what we were told. Just a mass of concrete parking lots and cheap construction with very little new to offer us. We might as well merge with Moore.

brianinok
12-23-2009, 09:01 PM
Why does it continue to be SO HARD for people to understand that the nice part-- the lifestyle center-- is a later phase.

mireaux
12-24-2009, 07:19 AM
Yep...just another strip mall. It's nothing like what we were told. Just a mass of concrete parking lots and cheap construction with very little new to offer us. We might as well merge with Moore.

Moore is booming southbound, Norman is growing northbound. The two just may someday merge into one.

what shall we call it? Moorman? Norre? ...I like Normoore, myself.

king183
12-24-2009, 06:36 PM
Why does it continue to be SO HARD for people to understand that the nice part-- the lifestyle center-- is a later phase.

No, I understand the "nice part" is coming later. That doesn't excuse the utter crappiness of what they have there now. It's terrible. So sorry if I'm skeptical that the "nice part" will actually be nice. They told us that about this first phase of development and what did we get? A vision of us merging with strip mall city, Moore.

king183
12-24-2009, 06:37 PM
And I just love that way of excusing it. "The nice part." Gee whiz. How about if we made that entire place a "nice part" instead of just one section?

gen70
12-24-2009, 07:11 PM
Don't Norman my Moore.