View Full Version : Stoops cashing in out in California

Wishbone
12-19-2009, 04:49 AM
This recruiting class is shaping up to be the greatest ever under Stoops. At least top 2. OU already has Roy Finch from Florida wrapped up and last night got verbals from Still and Jefferson from California. They chose OU over Usc.

Stoops has been hitting that State hard and already has one of the best running backs from that State as well in Brennan Clay. Glad to see Stoops is at the point where he can go and beat other big time programs in their own State.

so1rfan
12-19-2009, 05:12 AM
I look at recruiting like this: Tell me great they are four years from now.

mugofbeer
12-19-2009, 11:18 PM
I just hope he recruited someone who can hold on to a pass.

gen70
12-19-2009, 11:39 PM
I gotta tell everybody on this site a story. I had an Uncle who was the #1 OU fan. His name was Doyle Cavins. He was an WW2 vet and when he came back from Europe he was a season ticket holder until his death in 1999. Yeah he missed the 2000 champ. I hope in the after life he saw it. His son, my cousin played QB at OSU. Yeah.. I know, You might think he mighta changed colors...Nope.. Ya wanna be a fan or not? I am!

Wambo36
12-19-2009, 11:49 PM
I understand the need to recruit nationally, but I think Stoops should look back to the national championship team and realize how many Oklahoma kids he had on that team. I think they should get the best kids in the state before looking out of state.
Interesting story in yesterdays paper about the Ole Miss kicker who grew up a big fan of OU and OSU but neither offered him a scholarship. He's now the second leading scorer in Ole Miss history. How many more games would OU have won this season if they had a reliable field goal kicker?

rcjunkie
12-20-2009, 02:33 AM
I've been keeping an eye on this thread, and I'm not sure what's wrong with people. There's been very few replys and no one hae really turned ugly, must be the Holidays.

bluedogok
12-20-2009, 09:42 AM
I understand the need to recruit nationally, but I think Stoops should look back to the national championship team and realize how many Oklahoma kids he had on that team. I think they should get the best kids in the state before looking out of state.
Interesting story in yesterdays paper about the Ole Miss kicker who grew up a big fan of OU and OSU but neither offered him a scholarship. He's now the second leading scorer in Ole Miss history. How many more games would OU have won this season if they had a reliable field goal kicker?
There are all sorts of kids who aren't "top recruits" who go on to have stellar college and even pro careers and there are almost just as many "can't miss" recruits who do miss, recruiting is a very, very inexact science.

A prime example is Wes Welker, he was phenomenal at Heritage Hall winning Little All-City Player of the Year but had very few scholarship offers, in fact the offer from Tech was only after another recruit had changed his commitment to another school and Leach having been the OC at OU for Welker's Senior year at Heritage offered him a scholarship. Look at the struggles that Adron Tennell had this year, he was among the top receiver recruits, he has the potential but living up to it can be difficult but he still has the chance to "fix" whatever the problem is with his hands, confidence or whatever the reasons are.

Wambo36
12-20-2009, 08:13 PM
I agree that recruiting is, at best, an in-exact science. I just think that all things being equal or very close to equal, you should give the nod to the kids from the state. I think that when you grow up a fan of the school and have wanted to play for them your whole life, you tend to give them more effort than say, a kid who approached choosing a school as a business decision. In Welkers scenario they saw the talent but were afraid to gamble on him because of his lack of size. What they couldn't measure in their recruiting data was his heart. That's what I think you get more of with the in state kids. Sounds like a generalization but I think it's somewhat true.

bluedogok
12-20-2009, 08:48 PM
I agree that recruiting is, at best, an in-exact science. I just think that all things being equal or very close to equal, you should give the nod to the kids from the state. I think that when you grow up a fan of the school and have wanted to play for them your whole life, you tend to give them more effort than say, a kid who approached choosing a school as a business decision. In Welkers scenario they saw the talent but were afraid to gamble on him because of his lack of size. What they couldn't measure in their recruiting data was his heart. That's what I think you get more of with the in state kids. Sounds like a generalization but I think it's somewhat true.
I agree, it seems way too many just focus on the "measurable" and tend to ignore the "drive" of a player. I think every team needs a mix of the "stars" and the "motor guys" who will kick'em in the rear. In Welker's case I don't think it would have mattered whether he was playing at Tech or OU, OSU or Tulsa, he would have played as hard as he could all the time anywhere he landed.

We were watching the Patriots game today and they said something about Welker, my wife was wondering how old he was so I looked it up, there are some good articles linked at the bottom of his Wiki page about his determination to succeed when he was questioned at pretty much every step.