View Full Version : Tiffany triptych at Fairlawn Cemetary

USG '60
12-18-2009, 03:00 PM
I had always been told that when it was removed from the mausoleum in the mid eighties that it was taken to the Okla History Museum but could not be made public due to the lack of room. I always assumed that it would have a prominent place in the new museum. We were there today for the first time and when we asked about it none of the (young) employees had ever even heard of it.

It is a world treasure so where the heck is it? If it is "missing" a major international crime has been committed.

I have some Instamatic type photos of it that are poor at best. Is there a link to pictures of it (them)? I could not find them with google.

HELP!!!!

jbrown84
12-18-2009, 07:37 PM
What are we talking about here?

gen70
12-19-2009, 07:23 AM
What are we talking about here? Ditto!

USG '60
12-19-2009, 07:45 AM
What are we talking about here?

Fairlawn Cemetary lies between Western and Shartel from First Presbyterian Church at 25th to 30th. It was established right after statehood. It is where many of OKC founding fathers (and mother) are buried. Sometime during the teens or twenties (I think) the mausaleum (the back of which can be seen from 30th) was built and had a huge 3 panel (triptych) stain glassed window by Louis Comfort Tiffany (himSELF) installed. It was stunning to say the very least. Treasure that it was the building was never lock until sometime in the late 70's (I think it was) they started locking it at night. In the early 80's when the Paseo neighborhood was in complete decay and some smaller family mausoleums were vandalized, the Tiffanys were removed for fear of vandalism. The public was told that they were going to the history museum and that someday they would be on display again.

They ain't. Why not? Where are they? Someone had BETTER know.

TaoMaas
12-19-2009, 08:14 AM
I thought the windows were still in the mausoleum, but it's no longer open to the public. I think Oklahoma Today did a feature on the cemetary within the last year or so and talked about the window. But then, I'm just relying on my memory and that's always a dangerous thing. LOL

Edited to add: I guess my memory isn't as bad as I thought. The article was in the Nov/Dec 2008 issue. The name of the article is "Called Home" by Steffie Corcoran. On page 75, there's a pic of the window. I just skimmed the article, but I didn't see where it said much about the triptych. Here's a link to the online copy of that issue:

http://digital.library.okstate.edu/oktoday/2000s/2008/oktdv58n6.pdf

gen70
12-19-2009, 09:05 AM
[QUOTE=USG '60;283702]Fairlawn Cemetary lies between Western and Shartel from First Presbyterian Church at 25th to 30th. It was established right after statehood. It is where many of OKC founding fathers (and mother) are buried. Sometime during the teens or twenties (I think) the mausaleum (the back of which can be seen from 30th) was built and had a huge 3 panel (triptych) stain glassed window by Louis Comfort Tiffany (himSELF) installed. It was stunning to say the very least. Treasure that it was the building was never lock until sometime in the late 70's (I think it was) they started locking it at night. In the early 80's when the Paseo neighborhood was in complete decay and some smaller family mausoleums were vandalized, the Tiffanys were removed for fear of vandalism. The public was told that they were going to the history museum and that someday they would be on display again.

They ain't. Why not? Where are they? Someone had BETTER know. QUOTE] Thanks! Hope something is found out.

MsDarkstar
12-19-2009, 10:06 PM
My cousin is the Exec Director of OHS/History Museum. I think I'll see him on Christmas Eve, I'll try to remember to ask him about it.

metro
12-19-2009, 10:09 PM
Off topic forum perhaps?

USG '60
12-20-2009, 04:48 AM
Off topic forum perhaps?

I don't understand.

MsDarkstar
12-20-2009, 11:17 AM
OKC Metro Area Talk sub is for "Discuss development and civic issues here." I think he's trying to say that he thinks this topic would be better off in OKC Underground, which is the catch-all room for topics that don't really fit into the descriptionn of any of the other rooms. In other words, he's saying this topic isn't about development or civic issues & should be moved.

jbrown84
12-20-2009, 03:15 PM
Looks like the Oklahoma Today article (great one BTW!) confirms that the window was never removed.

Urbanized
12-20-2009, 03:30 PM
It's still there. I've peered at it through the chained and padlocked doors a few times. It's beautiful.

USG '60
12-20-2009, 03:49 PM
It's still there. I've peered at it through the chained and padlocked doors a few times. It's beautiful.

Thank you. I guess moving this is moot now that the mystery is solved.

End of thread unless someone knows what is in store for them for the future. If they do then someone move it, please.