View Full Version : Is our tap water safe?

Dustin
12-17-2009, 12:36 PM
Ok, I have been trying to ween myself off of bottled water and switch to good ol' tap for the longest time but it is really hard because Ozarka makes the best tasting bottled water in the world. I hear the tap water in New York is super clean and tastes excellent. People call it "Bloomberg Water" its so good. In the California area, people dont go near the tap water in fear of growing another limb or mutation from the chemicals in the water! I have tried the tap here in OKC and its just doesnt taste that great or clean. I was wondering if anyone knew exactly how our tap compares to other states?

Hawk405359
12-17-2009, 01:34 PM
Actually, yes. There was a study released comparing tapwater in 100 large cities across the country, examining the pollutant levels. They were ranked from 1 - 100.

NYC was 13th. OKC was 14th. Tulsa was 71st. The best was in Arlington.

So it's not bad compared to other areas, if I was reading the data right.

How Clean is City Water? View EWG's Big City Water Ratings | Environmental Working Group (http://www.ewg.org/tap-water/rating-big-city-water)

nik4411
12-17-2009, 01:36 PM
Good question. I drink the tap here, but I drink tap water everywhere. Doesn't bother me.

nik4411
12-17-2009, 01:39 PM
Good find Hawk, interesting to look at

Chance23
12-17-2009, 01:50 PM
Bottled water is a scam. It's no healthier (and, in fact, the bottles containing a lining that can infect the water inside), greatly increase the amount of trash, and you'll pay a mortgage payment in cost for drinking it.

If you're that worried, get a normal water filter (I mean, in addition to the one most faucets already have). It's just as good as their factories are. Besides that, A lot of the bottled water comes from public water supplies anyways, so you're just paying for someone else's tap water (Dasani, for example, is from Dallas's water supply).

Charlie40
12-17-2009, 02:05 PM
Distilled water is the best and purest water you can get. it is what my family drinks.

nik4411
12-17-2009, 02:06 PM
Do you distill your own water charlie?

mugofbeer
12-17-2009, 02:16 PM
The danger of tap water in a major city somehow being dangerous or unhealthy is a myth. Unless there is some sort of breakdown, act of God, act of terror or accident, tap water is completely safe. A significant portion of bottled water is nothing more than tap water anyway.

Bunty
12-18-2009, 12:57 AM
To this day people like talk show fanantic Alex Jones will tell you that the fluoride put in municipal water to fight tooth decay is awfully dangerous to your health.

Midtowner
12-18-2009, 06:27 AM
To this day people like talk show fanantic Alex Jones will tell you that the fluoride put in municipal water to fight tooth decay is awfully dangerous to your health.

Hilarious.

My grandfather was almost solely responsible for getting the City of Cushing to fluoridate their water supply. He wasn't exactly a nefarious government plotster, I can tell you. Just a dentist looking out for the best interests of his town.

Charlie40
12-18-2009, 06:52 AM
Used to now we get it from Eureka water company downtown.

As for flouride it is bad for you they just will not tell you that, it is a waste product of fertilizer. it comes from the stuff the scrubbers scrub out of the smoke stacks at fertilizer plants and it causes lots of health problems including causeing your body to age faster than normal.

USG '60
12-18-2009, 07:57 AM

As for flouride it is bad for you they just will not tell you that, it is a waste product of fertilizer. it comes from the stuff the scrubbers scrub out of the smoke stacks at fertilizer plants and it causes lots of health problems including causeing your body to age faster than normal.

I wonder, then, why we all look a LOT younger than our grandparents did when they were our age.

Charlie40
12-18-2009, 09:39 AM
I wonder, then, why we all look a LOT younger than our grandparents did when they were our age.

They worked harder than we do and were more worndown from working so hard plantin plowin sewin and all around more work that has been replaced by modern convieniences.

USG '60
12-18-2009, 09:53 AM
They worked harder than we do and were more worndown from working so hard plantin plowin sewin and all around more work that has been replaced by modern convieniences.

There is a lot of truth to that but I know a lot of farmers who still work their butts off and they too look a lot younger than even their parents did at their ages. There are, I suppose, many factors that work for and against our appearances in this day and age.

What all is it that florine is supposed to be doing to us?

rcjunkie
12-18-2009, 09:53 AM

You forgot about how it turns your urine neon green, makes your ears pointed and your breath smell like cotton candy.

Holy Moses, is there any life in there

Charlie40
12-18-2009, 11:57 AM
There is a lot of truth to that but I know a lot of farmers who still work their butts off and they too look a lot younger than even their parents did at their ages. There are, I suppose, many factors that work for and against our appearances in this day and age.

What all is it that florine is supposed to be doing to us?

They had all this flouride from the fertilizer plants and needed somewhere to put it so they started adding it to toothpaste and water to help get rid of the stuff. America and dentists were made to think this stuff prevents cavities but it is just garbage that they are poisoning america with. Why do you think on the toothpaste tube it says harmfull if you swallow toothpaste in largw quantities, if you think about it something you use in your mouth to clean your teeth with should be harmless you should be able to swallow it and it not hurt you, you could if there was not flouride in it. As for flouride in the water supply it is very diluted down to where it wont hurt you in the quantities of water people drink but it still is not good for you .

fuzzytoad
12-18-2009, 01:02 PM
They had all this flouride from the fertilizer plants and needed somewhere to put it so they started adding it to toothpaste and water to help get rid of the stuff. America and dentists were made to think this stuff prevents cavities but it is just garbage that they are poisoning america with. Why do you think on the toothpaste tube it says harmfull if you swallow toothpaste in largw quantities, if you think about it something you use in your mouth to clean your teeth with should be harmless you should be able to swallow it and it not hurt you, you could if there was not flouride in it. As for flouride in the water supply it is very diluted down to where it wont hurt you in the quantities of water people drink but it still is not good for you .

Do you carry around a copy of The Catcher in the Rye?

rcjunkie
12-18-2009, 01:29 PM

I hear duelng Banjos

mugofbeer
12-18-2009, 01:35 PM
I guess that's why we are all living 10 years longer than our parents and grandparents did. Why our teeth, in general, are in far better shape than those of our parents and grandparents. How is fouride not good for you? What does it do to you that is negative? Show us something from real doctors and real medical authorities.

Charlie40
12-18-2009, 02:09 PM
Here are some links on the subject: Please read them as this is what I have been saying about flouride and how it is not at all good for you.

The Truth About Fluoride! - It is POISON! (http://www.lovethetruth.com/truth_about_fluoride.htm)

About 'Fluoride' -- Truth Every Mother Should Know (http://www.greaterthings.com/Lexicon/F/Fluoride.htm)

Fluoride Safety: The Hidden Fallacy Behind The Truth (http://www.healtharticleshq.com/health/health-diseases-and-conditions/fluoride-safety-the-hidden-fallacy-behind-the-truth/)

The Dangers of Fluoride and Fluoridation (http://www.mbschachter.com/dangers_of_fluoride_and_fluorida.htm)

rcjunkie
12-18-2009, 02:21 PM
Here are some links on the subject: Please read them as this is what I have been saying about flouride and how it is not at all good for you.

The Truth About Fluoride! - It is POISON! (http://www.lovethetruth.com/truth_about_fluoride.htm)

About 'Fluoride' -- Truth Every Mother Should Know (http://www.greaterthings.com/Lexicon/F/Fluoride.htm)

Fluoride Safety: The Hidden Fallacy Behind The Truth (http://www.healtharticleshq.com/health/health-diseases-and-conditions/fluoride-safety-the-hidden-fallacy-behind-the-truth/)

The Dangers of Fluoride and Fluoridation (http://www.mbschachter.com/dangers_of_fluoride_and_fluorida.htm)

The preceeding messages were brought to by "Bottled Water Companie's of America!!

Charlie40
12-18-2009, 02:43 PM
The preceeding messages were brought to by "Bottled Water Companie's of America!!

No they were not..

Bunty
12-19-2009, 01:31 PM

Not if they draw their water from tap water. But then do many bottled water companies first put the tap water through filters to draw out the fluoride, chlorine and other impurities? If it's not filtered, don't buy it.

mugofbeer
12-19-2009, 11:15 PM
I'd love for someone to find me an obituary or a death certificate that shows "Cause of Death" as "tap water."

Chance23
12-20-2009, 11:18 AM

Nope, one is from a conspiracy theory repository that claims the new world order is upon us and evolution is a plot by Satan.

The next is another conspiracy theory repository that claims government implanted microchips are already here.

The third is from a person trying to peddle an expensive newsletter and diet plan.

The fourth is from a holistic medical center that treats cancer with nutritional supplements and Multiple Sclerosis with "nutritional intervention."

easternobserver
12-22-2009, 04:49 PM
Water quality in OKC greatly depends on where you are. When OKC sends samples to the competitions, they send water from the south side, from Lake Draper. The water coming out of the Draper plant is far superior in terms of taste.