View Full Version : City revenues down; budget cuts looming

LordGerald
12-17-2009, 08:27 AM
Interesting article here. Nothing surprising, except Couch's ultimate admission that "there will be a budget cut." More intriguing is the quote about cuts "across the board and in a lot of different areas."

Next budget year starts July 1, so there's six more months to turn it around, but most city and state budgets are planned well in advance. I think the declining sales tax revenue is more than a trend and it's going to hit city and state governments pretty hard in 2010.

Link: http://www.okc.biz/article/12-16-2009/Oklahoma_City_faces_budget_cuts_as_sales-tax_collections_decline.aspx

wsucougz
12-17-2009, 08:47 AM
I'm glad we got Maps signed and sealed. Interesting timing, though, as this would have given the opposition a lot of ammo.

kevinpate
12-17-2009, 08:54 AM
I'm glad we got Maps signed and sealed. Interesting timing, though, as this would have given the opposition a lot of ammo.

Seems to me the NTM side WAS discussing this, at least those who were discussing and not shrilling were including declining revenues and staff hits out on the horizon.

So, not sure it would have given the NTM position any extra ammo. However, if the shrill amongst them had been paying more attention to the less shrill, it is possible that election could have been much closer, at a minimum.

rcjunkie
12-17-2009, 08:56 AM

The City could have received millions of dollars in tax/revunue increase's, but if it didn't include raises, they still would have used it as ammo.

Spartan
12-17-2009, 09:48 AM
Remember those 40 or so police officers that Tulsa let go last week?

This morning the City of Tulsa announced that they're considering laying off another 100 police officers AND firefighters. We'll know by tonight what the official plan is, they say it "changes every hour" whatever that means.

I know you all are tired of hearing this, but in the beginning of this mess OKC was relatively unscathed..now I wouldn't say we're still unscathed, but we're a LOT better off than everyone else.

mrbob
12-17-2009, 05:48 PM
Tulsa Police department new call. This is car 37 I need backup, dispatch says car 37 there is no backup . Car 37 says so what do I do now. Dispatch : :elmer3:Oh just shoot them.

HOT ROD
12-17-2009, 06:33 PM
lol

JustTheFactsPlease
12-17-2009, 07:36 PM
Interesting article here. Nothing surprising, except Couch's ultimate admission that "there will be a budget cut." More intriguing is the quote about cuts "across the board and in a lot of different areas."

Next budget year starts July 1, so there's six more months to turn it around, but most city and state budgets are planned well in advance. I think the declining sales tax revenue is more than a trend and it's going to hit city and state governments pretty hard in 2010.

Link: http://www.okc.biz/article/12-16-2009/Oklahoma_City_faces_budget_cuts_as_sales-tax_collections_decline.aspx

The budget cut is not a new admission. Mr Couch was saying just before the Maps3 vote. The current budget cuts are effective January 1, 2010. 2% across the board cuts which means Fire and Police are at the TOP of the chopping block.

I am sure there will be more come July 1, 2010.

http://nomaps3.com/Memo_from_CM_to_Department_Heads_on_FY_2010_Mid_Ye ar_Budget_Cuts__dated_September_22__2009_.PDF

JustTheFactsPlease
12-17-2009, 07:41 PM
The City could have received millions of dollars in tax/revunue increase's, but if it didn't include raises, they still would have used it as ammo.

It is STILL an issue that the city is cutting jobs. Not all city employees demanded a raise.

I am still concerned about the safety of the populace of OKC amidst such budget cuts especially as the city expands people and needs.

It will be interesting to see how much crime increases with the already made budget cuts effective January 1, 2010 plus the ones that will happen July 1, 2010.

rcjunkie - not everything is about raises.

rcjunkie
12-17-2009, 10:04 PM
After working for the City for 27 plus years and dealing with groups on contract issues, I see things differently then someone looking from the outside.

Mikemarsh51
12-18-2009, 05:13 PM
Lord Gerald, still waiting on your dream to come true!

soonerguru
12-18-2009, 07:54 PM

Snide.

Mikemarsh51
12-18-2009, 08:31 PM
Come on Guru, he had super secret special information! I just wanted to know what happened. If you read his post you can almost hear him salivating.

Spartan
12-18-2009, 11:39 PM

What is yours, a day where we live in a police state where the police budget is 75% of public funds?

gmwise
12-18-2009, 11:57 PM
If we dont do something soon, then we may have to have it at 75% of the funds for crime suppression

Spartan
12-19-2009, 12:06 AM
That's when you stop dragging your feet and go ahead and legalize half of the victimless crimes that we have people doing 40 years in jail for..

so1rfan
12-19-2009, 05:13 AM
The internet is not a contest. There are no winners, just a bunch of whiny losers.

MGE1977
12-19-2009, 07:13 AM
That's when you stop dragging your feet and go ahead and legalize half of the victimless crimes that we have people doing 40 years in jail for..

And then there came a voice from a Hooka smoking Hooker, from the craps table, amidst the din of cock fights and snarling pitbulls, who had previously been hiding in a Ghillie suit fashioned from the offals of an overgrown yard on the NE side of OKC.

gmwise
12-19-2009, 09:15 AM
actually ne of Edmond on the property own by a retired cop...lol

JustTheFactsPlease
12-19-2009, 09:58 AM

What "victimless" crimes are you referring to?

Are there really victimless crimes? Or just crimes that we don't feel sympathy for the victims...?

gmwise
12-19-2009, 10:21 AM
I wonder if Bernie's crime is victimless.

soonerguru
12-19-2009, 10:38 AM
Marijuana smoking is victimless.

Mikemarsh51
12-19-2009, 10:58 AM
Soonerguru, I am more of a Libertarian myself, yet I believe we need rules. Here are my 2 favorite stories about the victimless crimes of casual drug use. 1. I worked with a bricklayer named Red, the boss was telling us what he had paid us for the year. He told Red that he had paid him $17,000.00 dollars in the last year, Red say's "there no way you paid me that kind of money", So ther is Red a victim of his own casual drug abuse, with nothing to show for it. But he had a good time. 2. Another guy was snorting a few lines of coke, when his clip board fell backward into the floor. Hard not to laugh when someone is sniffing the carpet as not to miss any of it. They make themselves their own victim and the rest of us pay for it.

JustTheFactsPlease
12-19-2009, 11:51 AM
Marijuana smoking is victimless.

Tell that to the person who died in a marijuana drug deal gone wrong and their families.

Tell that to the kids of people using marijuana who are in prison.

There are victims in those cases.

NEXT!!!

gmwise
12-19-2009, 11:55 AM
I think its mostly the harder drugs, but how about all the alcohol deals that gone wrong..ie drunk driving.
Being in control is all important to me.
My point is never ever rely on drugs/booze for a " good time".

Spartan
12-19-2009, 04:56 PM
Tell that to the person who died in a marijuana drug deal gone wrong and their families.

What are you, like 12 years old? This post just screams not being able to reason properly. I like how you accept the fact that the people who are in prison obviously deserve it simply for the fact that they are, after all, in prison. That's circular thinking.

And I have never heard of a "marijuana drug deal gone wrong" unless I'm just too sheltered to know the difference. When I was at OU I shared a house with a few roommates west of campus, guy next door was a marijuana dealer..the guy was the splitting image of the drug dealer in Pineapple Express.

I think you have marijuana mixed up with other drugs such as cocaine and heroin.

gmwise
12-19-2009, 05:58 PM
What are you, like 12 years old? This post just screams not being able to reason properly. I like how you accept the fact that the people who are in prison obviously deserve it simply for the fact that they are, after all, in prison. That's circular thinking.

And I have never heard of a "marijuana drug deal gone wrong" unless I'm just too sheltered to know the difference. When I was at OU I shared a house with a few roommates west of campus, guy next door was a marijuana dealer..the guy was the splitting image of the drug dealer in Pineapple Express.

I think you have marijuana mixed up with other drugs such as cocaine and heroin.

Spartan,
Kinda scary we agree..lol

kevinpate
12-19-2009, 06:51 PM

There are victims in those cases.
NEXT!!!

Sure, I'll play NEXT with you.

A mj drug deal gone wrong, is not the same as someone only smoking mj.
It is a matter of someone trying to pass off something other than mj, or trying to rip someone off. That's just not the same as smoking mj.

As for kiddo victims, whether a child is a victim or better off is very dependent on what, if anything, else the mj smoker may have been involved with. A parent in prison does not autocreate a victim via the child.

be convinced in your own mind of whatever you choose. But also, please do try to not pass a brussel sprout to someone discussing an orange.

soonerguru
12-19-2009, 07:15 PM
I'll say it again. Smoking marijuana is a victimless crime. Smoking a plant is not a criminal act. Making a plant a criminal possession is stupid.

Spartan
12-19-2009, 09:08 PM
A lot of it is racially implicated..law enforcement is going to go after pot harder than anything else because it's easier to put the typical pot user through the system than other drugs. We don't go after meth heads or heroin addicts because that's a can of worms nobody wants to open, and frankly, if I was a big bad county DA I wouldn't wanna go near a heroin addict either, myself.

And going after cocaine users? Get real. You would be implicating the top 2% wealthiest people in society who can afford that. But the reality is that those are the people that pose an infinitely greater threat to society than kids smoking pot, but I digress.

Honestly doing any kind of drug is a victimless crime. Alcohol is a drug, a legal one, and it has done a lot worse to society than any of these drugs ever would. Think about it -- say you're screwed up on meth, there's no way you're going to drive home because you know you can't. But it's not illegal to be drink, and most people think that they're actually better drivers when they're drunk, so no big deal.

So yeah, we should get over the whole drug thing because it's all victimless, esp compared to alcohol, and nobody is suggesting we bring prohibition back. Decriminalizing a lot of drugs would probably make the problem go away, but even if we're not going to do that, let's at least be educated as to the different kinds of drugs and the types of people that use them. Heroin addicts and recreational pot users are completely different people, and let's be real here, we're not upset about the "crime" they're committing we're really just going after the people themselves -- in that case, let's be more discriminate in the groups that our drug policies actually do go after.

ronronnie1
12-19-2009, 11:48 PM
^^^Amen!!!

rcjunkie
12-20-2009, 02:37 AM
This started as a good thread/topic, "revenues down, budget cuts coming", now it's turned to "marijauna is bad----OK, laws are stupid. etc;"

:backtotop:backtotop:backtotop:backtotop:backtotop :backtotop