View Full Version : Motorists STILL running red lights

Keith
02-11-2005, 07:37 PM
This is still a major problem in OKC. All over the city, motorists are running red lights, left and right. They are either in a hurry, or they just think they are being cute by slipping through the red light. THEY are the ones who are causing the accidents. I see it happening everyday, and if you honk at them, they just act stupid and flip you off. I guess that is their answer for their stupidity. I have never run a red light because I know how dangerous it is. Oh, there have been times that I wanted to, but I knew it was illegal and just plain stupid. Here is the story from the Oklahoman....

http://www.newsok.com/article/1421313/?template=news/main

http://www.newsok.com/tempimages/f11redlight.jpg

Patrick
02-11-2005, 11:55 PM
I actually saw this story on channel 9 last night. They said that running a red light only saves you about a minute in most instances, and usually, if you run it, the following lights are out of sync then anyways, so you'll just be stopped by them.

Last night, I tried an experiment. I was at Hefner and May. The light turned Yellow. I was thinking about running through it, but I decided to stop and time how long it took for the to change again for me. It took 45 seconds. Hmmm.....I guess I really wouldn't have saved that much time running the yellow/red light, and I might've created an accident had I ran it.

Midtowner
02-12-2005, 10:25 AM
Downtown, this is REALLY a problem. Last September, I was the only witness to an accident where some jackass ran a RED light (not yellow) and t-boned another car. I am constantly seeing people run lights down here. Most likely because they're completely lost and clueless. Regardless, it's a serious problem. If you're ever downtown, be sure that you look both ways before proceding into an intersection. That's saved my butt MANY times.

Keith
02-12-2005, 12:30 PM
Downtown, this is REALLY a problem. Last September, I was the only witness to an accident where some jackass ran a RED light (not yellow) and t-boned another car. I am constantly seeing people run lights down here. Most likely because they're completely lost and clueless. Regardless, it's a serious problem. If you're ever downtown, be sure that you look both ways before proceding into an intersection. That's saved my butt MANY times.

I have also learned that when my light turns green, I sit there for a moment to make sure some clown isn't going to run the red light. I really don't like to be the first one at a light when it turns green, because I don't want to be the first one into the intersection.

The same with stop signs(which could be another thread). In my neighborhood, motorists run stop signs all the time, which has resulted in some bad accidents. When I approach an intersection, and the stop sign is for the crossing traffic, I still slow way down, almost stopping, to make sure the driver coming up to the stop sign actually stops. I have had a few close calls, but, thanks to my alertness, I haven't had an accident in over 20 years, because I play it extra safe.