View Full Version : Commentary: Back to the public space

urbanity
12-16-2009, 09:21 AM
Back to the public space | OKG Scene.com (http://www.okgazette.com/p/12738/a/5237/Default.aspx?ReturnUrl=LwBEAGUAZgBhAHUAbAB0AC4AYQB zAHAAeAAslashAHAAPQAxADIANwAzADgA)

betts
12-16-2009, 11:03 AM
I like this statement, "....the politics of economic selfishness have limited appeal in city government", as well as "voters in one of the most Republican cities in America placed a bet on continued public works."

I would like to see a way to get more people on the southside to buy into these concepts, not simply to see more MAPS proposals passed in the future, but rather as a way to get them to buy into the idea of Oklahoma City as "us" rather than seeing a divide between north and south. The river is not nearly as much of a physical barrier as it seems the psychological one is.

mugofbeer
12-16-2009, 11:22 AM
I like this statement, "....the politics of economic selfishness have limited appeal in city government", as well as "voters in one of the most Republican cities in America placed a bet on continued public works."

I would like to see a way to get more people on the southside to buy into these concepts, not simply to see more MAPS proposals passed in the future, but rather as a way to get them to buy into the idea of Oklahoma City as "us" rather than seeing a divide between north and south. The river is not nearly as much of a physical barrier as it seems the psychological one is.

It would probably start to change only if projects were physically constructed on the south side of the river. That may be part of the problem. Perhaps if MAPS4 provides direct funding for things in the south part of town (whatever those "things" might be), there would be more support out of the south. I wonder how the southside voted in MAPS4KIDS since I wasn't here then?

soonerguru
12-16-2009, 11:30 AM
Of course, Gaddie fails to mention that this would not have passed without huge support from the Democrats who make up the city's inner-North neighborhoods. In fact, in conversations with the Chamber, they said the Democrats were the most likely supporters.

Of course, the suburban Republicans on the north and west also were huge supporters, as Gaddie mentions.

It's also nice to see in print what we've discussed here: namely that MAPS 3 probably would have failed without the efforts of Urban Pioneer and the transit people. Their grassroots efforts were huge -- and the public in OKC was obviously very captivated with the transit piece.

I'm thrilled MAPS passed, but I wish transit had received a bigger portion of the pie. Clearly, the public would have approved.

Spartan
12-16-2009, 01:08 PM
I think Gaddie likes to write editorials that feel like political manifestos rather than analysis on community development..

Urban Pioneer
12-18-2009, 06:17 PM
I think Gaddie likes to write editorials that feel like political manifestos rather than analysis on community development..

Lol. I am glad someone said something. The part about "great grand parents and grand parents" was interesting.

The one thing he did not mention was the number of new young people that suppossedly showed up. I would really like to know if they were proportional or exceeded because of the transit, trails, and sidewalks.