View Full Version : Christmas lights on the canal?

kbsooner
12-15-2009, 10:49 AM
We went for a family stroll the other night in Bricktown, and half the light displays were not working, the other half were just OK. I know Downtown in December is a pretty neat deal, justs seems like the lighting/Christmas displays at the canal level are really really weak IMO. Seems like an opportunity missed by the Bricktown Association or whoever is in charge of the setup.

I know it takes $$$ to put up and maintain these each year, it seems like if they put up something really outstanding it would draw more people into the area. I hear of people driving to Chickasha every year for their display, so it seems like a pretty small investment to get more foot travel in the area.

fuzzytoad
12-15-2009, 10:59 AM
We went for a family stroll the other night in Bricktown, and half the light displays were not working, the other half were just OK. I know Downtown in December is a pretty neat deal, justs seems like the lighting/Christmas displays at the canal level are really really weak IMO. Seems like an opportunity missed by the Bricktown Association or whoever is in charge of the setup.

I know it takes $$$ to put up and maintain these each year, it seems like if they put up something really outstanding it would draw more people into the area. I hear of people driving to Chickasha every year for their display, so it seems like a pretty small investment to get more foot travel in the area.

Wouldn't that be a fire hazard considering the quality of the "water" in the Canal?

Turanacus
12-15-2009, 01:48 PM
imagine how well well the park from maps 3 will be kept up. can't wait. maybe it'll draw the panhandlers away from the corner near my house.

bluedogok
12-15-2009, 08:10 PM
Most of the displays are "by owner", is JDM Place lit up? I know the owner wanted outlets installed all over the outside so he could light up up at Christmas. All those empty storefronts tend to lead to undecorated storefronts. But I have also noticed there seems to be less decorations at at retail type of areas than in years past down here in Austin.