View Full Version : Will MAPS 4 be ready to address...

Laramie
12-13-2009, 03:23 PM
...Oklahoma City will be ready to construct an NFL stadium by 2020. I believe this MAPS tax will expire in 2017-18 and the NFL will be ready for expansion and relocation.

Our population should be ready to accommodate both the NBA and NFL.

Oklahoma City should exceed 650,000 (Central City) and 1.6 million (Metropolitan Area) with 3.1 million in a 100-mile radius of OKC. That would make us as comparable to the current central city population areas of Milwaukee, Boston and Washington D. C. and the metro areas of Nashville, Charlotte and Indianapolis.

What are your thoughts and comments?

rcjunkie
12-13-2009, 03:42 PM
Pro Basketball already here
Pro Baseball already here (Minor League)
Pro Hockey was here, now it's gone will be back soon (Minor Leauge)

While I like the growth of our City, Professional Football will never be in OKC, can't compete with OU, the local market could not handle both.

windowphobe
12-13-2009, 04:01 PM
I think it's more likely that Tulsa will get its first major-league team (NHL or MLS) before Oklahoma City gets a second: there's only so much personal income in any given market, and it's more than twice as hard to support two teams as it is one.

I wrote on this last week:

Portfolio.com/bizjournals has come up with a methodology for determining whether a given metropolitan market can support a major-league sports team, based on available personal income for that market, less whatever it takes to support existing teams there.

On this basis, there are almost enough dollars to support MLS soccer in Oklahoma City without affecting the existing NBA team, but not close to the amount needed for the NHL or the NFL. (The requirements for Major League Baseball are considerably stiffer, no doubt owing to the utter lack of controls over salaries; only two additional markets could support MLB.) Interestingly, Seattle, which currently has three teams, falls slightly short of NBA support, as Clay Bennett could probably have told you.

But $40 billion in personal income is enough, says this study, to support a team other than baseball. And that leaves the field open for Tulsa, which comes in a hair short of $40 billion. The NBA is unlikely, for obvious reasons; but Tulsa has the potential to support soccer or hockey, or even the NFL, were there a suitable venue for the latter. (The NHL would likely be very happy with the BOk Center.)

This does not mean necessarily that the NFL will be eyeing Tulsa as a possible expansion market: there are plenty of bigger ones out there, and the first order of business likely will be placing a team in Los Angeles.

And a lot can happen between now and 2020.

dustbury.com Where shall we put a team? (http://www.dustbury.com/archives/9502)

smooth
12-13-2009, 08:43 PM
Pro Basketball already here
Pro Baseball already here (Minor League)
Pro Hockey was here, now it's gone will be back soon (Minor Leauge)

While I like the growth of our City, Professional Football will never be in OKC, can't compete with OU, the local market could not handle both.

Gee! I really wish I had your talent to predict the future until the end of time. Tell me. When will the end of time be?

gmwise
12-13-2009, 08:50 PM
Gee! I really wish I had your talent to predict the future until the end of time. Tell me. When will the end of time be?

December 23, 2012

easternobserver
12-13-2009, 10:17 PM
calling MLS major league isnt really accurate....i mean, we could probably get major league lacrosse or austrailian rules football, but that isnt the same as the nba, mlb, nfl, or to a slightly lesser degree nhl

rcjunkie
12-13-2009, 10:33 PM

Not sure when the "End of Time" will come, but the day when you lack "CLASS" has arrived.

One last prediction, I predict your a lonely troll that's searches chat rooms and local threads looking for a friend, or at least someone that will talk to you------------keep looking.

:yourock:

lasomeday
12-13-2009, 11:41 PM
Just think what all we will have by the time MAPS 4 rolls around.

We will have a world class Native American Cultural Center, Olympic Rwoing and White Water Rafting Training Facilities on the Oklahoma River, the Devon Tower, Parks connecting downtown to the river with the "needs a new name central park", convention center (hopefully where the mill is located), revamped Myriad Gardens, banjo museum, first class streetscapes for downtown, trails that connect the city, Humphrey's will have the Ferris Wheel on the river, OCU Law School downtown, ACM will have outgrown everythng and have multiple buildings in Bricktown, the neighborhoods around downtown will be growing from the ground up, developers will be fighting over land, just to name a few things.

Hopefully we will in the next 4 to 10 years have a highrise residential building boom like Austin has had. That would be awesome! If one goes up, then more will come!

So, what could we do with MAPS 4. MAPS4 should build on MAPS 1 and MAPS 3. It could add to the canal, street cars lines, and be primarily Light Rail focused.

It could also incorporate more inner city elements like an aquarium and museum of energy (focusing on the states history of oil, coal, hydroelectric, natural gas, wind, and solar power).

Possibly a botanical garden (probably not downtown, but somewhere with topography).

So, those are a few ideas besides a stadium, that would continue the MAPS success.

rcjunkie
12-14-2009, 05:06 AM
Just think what all we will have by the time MAPS 4 rolls around.

We will have a world class Native American Cultural Center, Olympic Rwoing and White Water Rafting Training Facilities on the Oklahoma River, the Devon Tower, Parks connecting downtown to the river with the "needs a new name central park", convention center (hopefully where the mill is located), revamped Myriad Gardens, banjo museum, first class streetscapes for downtown, trails that connect the city, Humphrey's will have the Ferris Wheel on the river, OCU Law School downtown, ACM will have outgrown everythng and have multiple buildings in Bricktown, the neighborhoods around downtown will be growing from the ground up, developers will be fighting over land, just to name a few things.

Hopefully we will in the next 4 to 10 years have a highrise residential building boom like Austin has had. That would be awesome! If one goes up, then more will come!

So, what could we do with MAPS 4. MAPS4 should build on MAPS 1 and MAPS 3. It could add to the canal, street cars lines, and be primarily Light Rail focused.

It could also incorporate more inner city elements like an aquarium and museum of energy (focusing on the states history of oil, coal, hydroelectric, natural gas, wind, and solar power).

Possibly a botanical garden (probably not downtown, but somewhere with topography).

So, those are a few ideas besides a stadium, that would continue the MAPS success.

Well said and I couldn't agree more. :congrats::congrats::congrats:

smooth
12-14-2009, 05:32 AM
Not sure when the "End of Time" will come, but the day when you lack "CLASS" has arrived.

One last prediction, I predict your a lonely troll that's searches chat rooms and local threads looking for a friend, or at least someone that will talk to you------------keep looking.

:yourock:

I bet you are one of those who said Oklahoma City will never have a major league team of any kind... Well... Welcome to never.

One more point. Oklahoma City was to be the home of the NFL Cardinals. The only deal breaker was the fact OU will not allow anyone else to use their stadium. We are on the list of NFL expansion sites.

So much for your ability to see until the end of time.

kevinpate
12-14-2009, 05:40 AM
December 23, 2012

Speak for yerself and yer Mayan friends. I'll be celebrating Christmas two days afterwards with my grandkiddos. But hey, we'll tip a glass of eggnog in rememberance of ya.

rcjunkie
12-14-2009, 08:30 AM
I bet you are one of those who said Oklahoma City will never have a major league team of any kind... Well... Welcome to never.

One more point. Oklahoma City was to be the home of the NFL Cardinals. The only deal breaker was the fact OU will not allow anyone else to use their stadium. We are on the list of NFL expansion sites.

So much for your ability to see until the end of time.

Wrong----Again. I've always believed that one day we would have and support either a Major League Baseball team or an NBA Team, however, a NFL Team is another thing. An NFL Team would have to average 65,000-80,000 to be profitable, with OU, OSU and the Dallas Cowboys only a 3 drive, the OKC market can't handle all 4.

Have a Great Day and keep Trolling.:yourock:

theparkman81
12-14-2009, 10:34 AM
NFL would be great, but I doubt it, If there is a maps 4, They should built a soccer stadium (for a MLS team) by the river, but if that doesn't happen, then expand the bricktown ballpark for a MLB team, I always think that the next major league franchise to come to our great city will be either Major League Soccer or Major League Baseball.

gmwise
12-14-2009, 11:02 AM
Speak for yerself and yer Mayan friends. I'll be celebrating Christmas two days afterwards with my grandkiddos. But hey, we'll tip a glass of eggnog in rememberance of ya.

lol

NE Oasis
12-14-2009, 11:05 AM
I can't see the NFL in OKC. NCAA football is very well established, and NFL tickets make NBA tickets look like a real bargain. My crystal ball shows Edmond trying to land a MLS team to get some of the pro sports revenue.

gmwise
12-14-2009, 11:08 AM
Edmond?

I dont see them interested in anything but a "pro lacrosse team"..

Laramie
12-14-2009, 11:52 AM
Windowprobe:

Thanks for the info on "Where shall we put a team?" I'm see the reasoning and logic!

Just as you said: " And a lot can happen between now and 2020."

I know 2020 is a long ways from now and I think that Oklahoma City is on the right track!

rcjunkie
12-14-2009, 04:02 PM
I can't see the NFL in OKC. NCAA football is very well established, and NFL tickets make NBA tickets look like a real bargain. My crystal ball shows Edmond trying to land a MLS team to get some of the pro sports revenue.

Your right on about the NFL Tickets/Costs, my son and I went to the Cowboy's / Redskins game in Arlington (new Cowboys Stadium), game tickets $178 each, parking $40, meals/drinks $60.

mugofbeer
12-14-2009, 04:59 PM
If OKC were to try to build a football stadium, I doubt it would be on the par of JerryWorld. That thing is truly over the top. Cost was what? $1.3 billion when all said and done? Pray for Jerry to never have a bad team. That will bankrupt him.

RedDirt717
12-14-2009, 05:34 PM
Your right on about the NFL Tickets/Costs, my son and I went to the Cowboy's / Redskins game in Arlington (new Cowboys Stadium), game tickets $178 each, parking $40, meals/drinks $60.

That's true, but there are far fewer games then in the NBA season.

When you compare 10 homes games (8 if you just count regular season) to 40 home games they end up being pretty similar in price.

I think the next pull in the next ten years will be for a MLS team. It would be well supported here and a safe bet with the league being so young. If it didn't work out it would be much less controversial to move it or dissolve it than an NFL or MLS team, which would be a huge gamble even if our population numbers and relative wealth continued to go up. I always believed that Oklahoma could support an NBA team or an NHL team, even MLB would probably work here, but NFL would really have to dig in to compete with the 100,000+ people that attend OU and OSU football games every Saturday.

theparkman81
12-16-2009, 02:13 PM
I think it's more likely that Tulsa will get its first major-league team (NHL or MLS) before Oklahoma City gets a second: there's only so much personal income in any given market, and it's more than twice as hard to support two teams as it is one.

I wrote on this last week:

This does not mean necessarily that the NFL will be eyeing Tulsa as a possible expansion market: there are plenty of bigger ones out there, and the first order of business likely will be placing a team in Los Angeles.

And a lot can happen between now and 2020.

dustbury.com Where shall we put a team? (http://www.dustbury.com/archives/9502)

I can't see Tulsa getting a NFL team, there are so many cities that are way ahead of them like LA and San Antoino, I thought I also read somewhere that Portland Oregon was even talking about the NFL as well, but anyways if a NFL team ever decide to come here, lets put it between OKC and Tulsa, like at Stroud, and built a big stadium there.

Lord Helmet
12-16-2009, 02:47 PM
I'd rather have MLS than NFL at this point. A soccer stadium downtown would be awesom, and we'd be one of the few teams in the league with a soccer specific stadium that wasn't in a suburb.

john60
12-16-2009, 03:05 PM
The most recent small to mid-size markets with expansion in the NFL have been Charlotte, Jacksonville, and Nashville. Jacksonville is doing terribly right now from what I've read, but then again, Charlotte and Tennessee have done really well. I would hope that we'd be closer to 1996 Charlotte (had the Hornets at the time to compete with even) than 1996 Jacksonville in 2020, but I'd bet that based on how badly things have been going in Jacksonville lately, the NFL might be a little hesitant to expand to OKC just because of that. We're probably more like Charlotte in 10 years, but I'm afraid the small-town perception may be there among the NFL brass, unfortunately.

The MLS idea is interesting too. A venue like that would be great for a downtown outdoor concert venue for 30,000 + people. Pizza Hut park in Frisco banks on that kind of stuff.

Midtowner
12-16-2009, 04:04 PM
MAPS IV wouldn't come up until at least 2016.

My guess is that public safety will need the money to fight off our robot invaders.

Kerry
12-16-2009, 09:05 PM
I'd rather have MLS than NFL at this point. A soccer stadium downtown would be awesom, and we'd be one of the few teams in the league with a soccer specific stadium that wasn't in a suburb.

I agree, I would rather see a 30,000 seat stadium for soccer than an NFL team.

krisb
12-16-2009, 11:53 PM
I love the idea of OKC being a mecca for the less popular sports (like rowing and soccer), although soccer (football) is THE sport everywhere else in the world. It kind of fits with OKC being a place for the unexpected.

kevinpate
12-17-2009, 02:13 AM
... would rather see a 30,000 seat stadium for soccer than an NFL team.

Not having a fav team, mascot, dancer, cheerlass, or even a fantasy league bet in either sport, either/neither is fine by me.

But, for giggles and sniggles, should someone elect to build a stadium for one or the other downtown, where downtown makes the most sense? Seems like a lot of prime real estate for a part-time venue?

mugofbeer
12-17-2009, 10:04 AM
I love the idea of OKC being a mecca for the less popular sports (like rowing and soccer), although soccer (football) is THE sport everywhere else in the world. It kind of fits with OKC being a place for the unexpected.

Indy was quite successful with this policy. They started back in the 1970's attracting these types of things.

Laramie
12-17-2009, 11:40 AM
Kerry,

Have you heard anything? Are they going to tear down the grandstand?

I also have a house on Marion Avenue near Classen Blvd 16th and I can hear the speedway noise from there. The people who live near the fairgrounds will applaud not having to hear that noise.

I still think high school football/soccer would be better served at Fair Park where there is free and ample parking than building another stadium in Bricktown?

A new MAPS Rail route could serve those who dine in Bricktown with travel to Fair Park.

That would be a great place to put a football stadium.

Teams like Langston-Grambling or Langston-Prarie View and high school football playoffs could be played there along with MLS.

I don't know if the grandstand can be salvaged and made into a football stadium and you add another 15,000 to 20,000 seats extending the capacity to 25-30,000.

Could the grandstand be salvaged or would it eventually have to be demolished?

westsidesooner
12-29-2009, 01:53 PM
I haven't given this more than ten minutes thoughts, but I doubt OKC will get an NFL team anytime in the near future. However like others have mentioned I would like to see a stadium built that could be used for MLS (even though I'm not a soccer fan) just due to the fact that many of todays youth have grown playing soccer, It could host tournaments Both national and international) and its the worlds most popular sport. The stadium could also be used for small college football playoffs, high school football playoffs and championships, and community events. Something in the 30,000 to 40,000 seating capacity would be nice. I'm tired of Tulsa and stillwater getting all the championship in 5a and 6a, and taft is a joke.

MLB is our best bet (besides hockey) and think how much fun it would be to play the rangers every year. Whether adding on to bricktown ballpark is feasible, or another site wold be better is not for me to say.

I'd also like to see a rail system built connecting the airport with the fairgrounds and downtown.

A major botanical garden....perhaps somewhere near the cowboy hall of fame,

An expansion of the OKC underground.....anyone seen the one in Montreal.

An extension of the bricktown canal including a canal to the yet unnamed central park and new convention center.

And maybe a raceway on the far outskirts of OKC...westside maybe. Not that I think it would be cost effective, but the one in KC brought a lot of new development to the area.

While all the things I listed would cost a fortune.....I always say dream big.

Pics below of the new 30,000 seat stadium in Ottawa:

http://www.bringtheworldtoottawa.ca/images/stadium/stadium-1-lg.jpg

theparkman81
01-04-2010, 10:21 AM
I haven't given this more than ten minutes thoughts, but I doubt OKC will get an NFL team anytime in the near future. However like others have mentioned I would like to see a stadium built that could be used for MLS (even though I'm not a soccer fan) just due to the fact that many of todays youth have grown playing soccer, It could host tournaments Both national and international) and its the worlds most popular sport. The stadium could also be used for small college football playoffs, high school football playoffs and championships, and community events. Something in the 30,000 to 40,000 seating capacity would be nice. I'm tired of Tulsa and stillwater getting all the championship in 5a and 6a, and taft is a joke.

MLB is our best bet (besides hockey) and think how much fun it would be to play the rangers every year. Whether adding on to bricktown ballpark is feasible, or another site wold be better is not for me to say.

I'd also like to see a rail system built connecting the airport with the fairgrounds and downtown.

A major botanical garden....perhaps somewhere near the cowboy hall of fame,

An expansion of the OKC underground.....anyone seen the one in Montreal.

An extension of the bricktown canal including a canal to the yet unnamed central park and new convention center.

And maybe a raceway on the far outskirts of OKC...westside maybe. Not that I think it would be cost effective, but the one in KC brought a lot of new development to the area.

While all the things I listed would cost a fortune.....I always say dream big.

Pics below of the new 30,000 seat stadium in Ottawa:

http://www.bringtheworldtoottawa.ca/images/stadium/stadium-1-lg.jpg

I agree with u westside, I am tired of seeing the 5a and 6a championship games in Tulsa and Stillwater, I think that they should built a football/soccer stadium in the downtown area or somewhere around it, not only will it host the championship games but may also bring Major League Soccer to our great city.

Laramie
01-08-2010, 03:38 PM
I think that something similar to SMU's Ford Stadium in Dallas is where we should start; something that would be capable of supporting an upper deck and retractable roof later on.
Ford Stadium, Dallas:

SMU Photo :: Ford Stadium (http://photos.smu.edu/sets/53383)

betts
01-08-2010, 06:58 PM
If Boise can host a bowl game, I think we should be able to. That's a reasonable goal as well.

lasomeday
01-09-2010, 07:38 AM
Why can't we have a bowl game in Norman? The stadium is definitely big enough, and then later once MAPS 4 is passed we can move it to OKC.

Laramie
01-12-2010, 01:12 PM
The weather is far too unpredictable in late December and early January.

We've definitely got to build something to get in bowl competition!

westsidesooner
01-12-2010, 01:32 PM
The weather is far too unpredictable in late December and early January.

We've definitely got to build something to get in bowl competition!

It can't be any worse here in December than it is (or is capeable of being) in Boise....On a side note I wish the ncaa would make a rule that only allows real grass or green astroturf. I hate watching games played in Boise, and I think it adds an unfair advantage to the home team. Can you imagine if every team got to have a turf that was their school colors.....omg.

Memphis has a bowl game too....although it looked cold as snot there when they played. I agree with Laramie, a stadium with a retractable roof would improveour chances of hosting a bowl game....but would probably double the cost. But it would also insure OKC of hosting the high school playoffs I'd imagine.

Laramie...whats the seating capacity of Ford field?

westsidesooner
01-12-2010, 07:19 PM
Just dreaming but...

Just for fun I googled to look at mid-size (30,000-40,000) retractable roof stadiums, more suited for MLS, high school & small college championships, and concerts. I doubt OKC will ever get an NFL team, but MLS or MLB is possible.... here are some of the ones I found:

Astana Arena - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astana_Arena)

Parken Stadium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parken_Stadium)

Toyota Stadium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Stadium)

Türk Telekom Arena - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T%C3%BCrk_Telekom_Arena)

Veltins-Arena - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veltins-Arena)

Laramie
01-13-2010, 11:32 AM
We definitely need to start looking at building something.

The MLS would be a great tenant and with the addition of small college-university schools like UCO, Langston vs. Grambling, Southern, Prarie View and high school football sports; it would be profitable to maintain a 40,000-60,000-seat stadium in Oklahoma City--one with a roof and capable of being expanded.

smooth
01-13-2010, 12:30 PM
Just dreaming but...

Just for fun I googled to look at mid-size (30,000-40,000) retractable roof stadiums, more suited for MLS, high school & small college championships, and concerts. I doubt OKC will ever get an NFL team, but MLS or MLB is possible.... here are some of the ones I found:

Astana Arena - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astana_Arena)

Parken Stadium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parken_Stadium)

Toyota Stadium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Stadium)

Türk Telekom Arena - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T%C3%BCrk_Telekom_Arena)

Veltins-Arena - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veltins-Arena)

You can predict all you want, but Oklahoma City is on the NFL's short list for new cities. Los Angeles and San Antonio are ahead, however, the NFL IS in this city's future. The Buffalo Bills nearly moved here several years ago, but a stadium deal was secured before the move could take place. In the 90's (not sure what year) the then St. Louis Cardinals were set to kove here but the University of Oklahoma would not, and still will not let anyone else play in their sstadium. Had Lewis already been Boone Pickens as it is today, there is a very high probablility that the team would now be in Oklahoma City, having played in Stillwater until a stadium was built.

As far as I am concerened you can have the MLS. They aren't worth the time for this city. As far as Major League Baseball? Not yet. The Redhawks stadium only attracts about 10,000 at most. A third, possibly a fourth needed for profitability. Probably not in my lifetime.

rcjunkie
01-13-2010, 01:22 PM
You can predict all you want, but Oklahoma City is on the NFL's short list for new cities. Los Angeles and San Antonio are ahead, however, the NFL IS in this city's future. The Buffalo Bills nearly moved here several years ago, but a stadium deal was secured before the move could take place. In the 90's (not sure what year) the then St. Louis Cardinals were set to kove here but the University of Oklahoma would not, and still will not let anyone else play in their sstadium. Had Lewis already been Boone Pickens as it is today, there is a very high probablility that the team would now be in Oklahoma City, having played in Stillwater until a stadium was built.

As far as I am concerened you can have the MLS. They aren't worth the time for this city. As far as Major League Baseball? Not yet. The Redhawks stadium only attracts about 10,000 at most. A third, possibly a fourth needed for profitability. Probably not in my lifetime.

I've always heard "if your going to dream, dream big"

Laramie
01-14-2010, 05:57 PM
I've always heard "if your going to dream, dream big"

Amen! My Brother!

circled9
01-14-2010, 07:51 PM
There will never be a MAPS for unless it allocates a lot of money for neighborhood infrastructure. The hoods have supported downtown for years and they expect it to be their turn next time.

Chance23
01-15-2010, 07:55 PM

The Cardinals moved to Arizona in 88, not the 90's.

Second, to be frank, I really doubt Oklahoma City was ever truly close to an NFL team in 80's, despite what anyone said when trying to negotiate new leases/arena deals. For years, Oklahoma City was a threat city. It was just close enough to the right size to be a threat for smaller market owners to threaten their cities into caving to their demands, but not a city they'd really intend to move to. Major sports have always had a list of cities they could use to posture for position, even if they are just talking. That's why they always have to be taken with a grain of salt, they want to keep the cities credible because it's a good bargaining chip, but they're not actually considering the move.

The only reason that changed was because the Hornets did so well. And, frankly, the Hornets only landed in Oklahoma City because the plans to remain in Louisiana fell through. Now, if the Thunder continue to do well, then it does open a lot of doors, but this city wasn't there in the 80's.

smooth
01-15-2010, 08:41 PM

Second, to be frank, I really doubt Oklahoma City was ever truly close to an NFL team in 80's, despite what anyone said when trying to negotiate new leases/arena deals. For years, Oklahoma City was a threat city. It was just close enough to the right size to be a threat for smaller market owners to threaten their cities into caving to their demands, but not a city they'd really intend to move to. Major sports have always had a list of cities they could use to posture for position, even if they are just talking. That's why they always have to be taken with a grain of salt, they want to keep the cities credible because it's a good bargaining chip, but they're not actually considering the move.

The only reason that changed was because the Hornets did so well. And, frankly, the Hornets only landed in Oklahoma City because the plans to remain in Louisiana fell through. Now, if the Thunder continue to do well, then it does open a lot of doors, but this city wasn't there in the 80's.

I forgot the year, so sue me! I KNOW for a FACT the NFL is looking at this city. I told a lot of people "I told you so" on the NBA, and I will do it for the NFL. You can believe what you want, but I KNOW what i know.

rcjunkie
01-16-2010, 05:05 AM
I forgot the year, so sue me! I KNOW for a FACT the NFL is looking at this city. I told a lot of people "I told you so" on the NBA, and I will do it for the NFL. You can believe what you want, but I KNOW what i know.

Considering all the mistakes in your postings, apparently what you KNOW isn't very much!!

Laramie
01-17-2010, 04:05 PM

Oklahoma City was being considered by Bill Bidwell back in the 80s; now, were we a serious contender or a pawn?

We didn't have a stadium and several attempts were made back when the USFL moved to Oklahoma (Oklahoma Outlaws--Tulsa's Skelly Stadium)--they originally wanted to play at Oklahoma Memorial Stadium and OU's high demands for rent and a major bulk of concession revenue wouldn't have made it feasible for the team to move here. Pretty much the same was told to Bill Bidwell when he was considering Oklahoma City; at the time, there was no guarantee that a stadium would be built and unless OKC could guarantee that a stadium would be built; it just wasn't feasible. OU didn't want to be forced to house an NFL franchise indefinitely.

Nashville which is a comparable market to OKC managed to lure the Oilers from Houston. The mayor of Nashville at the time of negotiations went into exclusive bargaining rights to avoid counter-offers from the City of Houston so that the Tennessee capital city wouldn't be used as a pawn.

The Oilers relocated to Nashville and played initially in Memphis' Liberty Bowl Stadium and finally had to move to 35,000-seat Vanderbilt University's Stadium while a stadium was being constructed in Nashville.

Memphis had failed numerous times to get an NFL franchise. The fans in Memphis were so jealous of Nashville getting an NFL franchise they wouldn't support it.

I believe that if an NFL team took another look at Oklahoma, Stillwater would be a more viable place to put a franchise until OKC could build a facility. I believe that a penny sales tax to lure an NFL team would be overwhelmingly supported by OKC voters.

Laramie
01-17-2010, 04:34 PM
It can't be any worse here in December than it is (or is capeable of being) in Boise....On a side note I wish the ncaa would make a rule that only allows real grass or green astroturf. I hate watching games played in Boise, and I think it adds an unfair advantage to the home team. Can you imagine if every team got to have a turf that was their school colors.....omg.

Memphis has a bowl game too....although it looked cold as snot there when they played. I agree with Laramie, a stadium with a retractable roof would improveour chances of hosting a bowl game....but would probably double the cost. But it would also insure OKC of hosting the high school playoffs I'd imagine.

Laramie...whats the seating capacity of Ford field?

I think the seating capacity is right at 35,000. I'll look it up and get back with you!

Ford Stadium seating capacity is 32,000:

Cost of construction was $42 million back in 2000. Oklahoma City could probably build a comparable structure for $60 million come 2017 if it is built at the State Fair Park where we won't have to spend a ton of money for acquiring land and putting in utilities. We will need a structure that can be expanded later with a retractable roof.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_J._Ford_Stadium

Laramie
01-17-2010, 04:51 PM
There will never be a MAPS for unless it allocates a lot of money for neighborhood infrastructure. The hoods have supported downtown for years and they expect it to be their turn next time.

Infrastructure will need to be put on a bond issue and we can attract Federal funding. St. Louis' infrastructure is currently falling apart.

Let's use Maps for cosmetic type structures that will enhance our city and attract more private investments.

Fixing up the inner-cities infrastructure is something the Feds want to do now to keeps jobs available while we're going through this recession--much like the WPA did for Roosevelt back during the Depression.

westsidesooner
01-18-2010, 05:31 PM
We definitely need to start looking at building something.

The MLS would be a great tenant and with the addition of small college-university schools like UCO, Langston vs. Grambling, Southern, Prarie View and high school football sports; it would be profitable to maintain a 40,000-60,000-seat stadium in Oklahoma City--one with a roof and capable of being expanded.

Totally agree!!! I just hope it can be built in the next 10-15 years......Maps3 doesnt expire for awhile and I doubt we see anything planned before then. And I agree about your other post....fair park would be a great spot for a mid-sized stadium.....always has been. Surprising the city didn't try to replace Taft decades ago.

What the "hood" doesn't understand is that by improving the inner-city and infrastructure it also helps out the Hood with new buisness', tax dollars and nationwide attention to the city and state. I doubt you'll see a Maps project exclusively for the hood or burbs....

That said I do hope they finish the trails project soon....been waiting a long time for that.