View Full Version : Best towns worth a second look

Hawk405359
12-13-2009, 09:47 AM
On the Yahoo homepage is a travel story about the best US towns worth a second look, featuring cities that have given themselves a makeover. OKC is on the list. They talk about the capitol dome, the river, Bricktown, NBA, the Museum and the Asian District.

Best U.S. Made-Over Towns Worth a Visit (http://travel.yahoo.com/p-interests-30887979)

Other cities on the list were Albuquerque, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and Oakland.

soonerguru
12-13-2009, 09:52 AM
On the Yahoo homepage is a travel story about the best US towns worth a second look, featuring cities that have given themselves a makeover. OKC is on the list. They talk about the capitol dome, the river, Bricktown, NBA, the Museum and the Asian District.

Best U.S. Made-Over Towns Worth a Visit (http://travel.yahoo.com/p-interests-30887979)

Other cities on the list were Albuquerque, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and Oakland.

Whoever wrote that seems to know what they're talking about. Nice work.

Hawk405359
12-13-2009, 11:21 AM
Whoever wrote that seems to know what they're talking about. Nice work.

Well, he is a travel writer, so you'd expect that he'd at least visit the cities he's writing about, as opposed to just Googling them.

What surprised me is that they talked about the capitol building. I've never known a capitol to be considered an attraction outside of Washington DC.

LakeEffect
12-13-2009, 11:59 AM
What surprised me is that they talked about the capitol building. I've never known a capitol to be considered an attraction outside of Washington DC.

I, for one, am trying to see every state capitol building in my lifetime. Any time my wife and I drive through a capitol, we take a detour to at least drive by. It's interesting to see the different architecture. We're design and history buffs though, so I'd assume it's not a typical aspiration in life. :)

nik4411
12-13-2009, 12:09 PM
Well I really liked what they said about OKC and I enjoyed reading about the other cities as well. Thanks for sharing.

Hawk405359
12-13-2009, 12:13 PM
I, for one, am trying to see every state capitol building in my lifetime. Any time my wife and I drive through a capitol, we take a detour to at least drive by. It's interesting to see the different architecture. We're design and history buffs though, so I'd assume it's not a typical aspiration in life. :)

Really? I actually find that quite cool. What ones have been the most interesting?

Spartan
12-13-2009, 12:44 PM
Pittsburgh has definitely come a long ways. To be compared to them is great.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2628/4164553130_3d1945a964.jpg

I think Iowa has the best capitol..
http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/family-vacations-in-iowa.jpg

LakeEffect
12-13-2009, 01:14 PM
Really? I actually find that quite cool. What ones have been the most interesting?

Illinois has a very different looking capitol; silver dome. We've only hit up four or five so far. There's only so many road trips we can take each year...

flintysooner
12-13-2009, 01:35 PM
I, for one, am trying to see every state capitol building in my lifetime. Any time my wife and I drive through a capitol, we take a detour to at least drive by. It's interesting to see the different architecture. We're design and history buffs though, so I'd assume it's not a typical aspiration in life. :)I liked cemeteries when my children were young much to their great distress.

rcjunkie
12-13-2009, 01:56 PM
I liked cemeteries when my children were young much to their great distress.

Reminds me of my late grandfather, I spent several summers on his farm in Fairveiw Ok, we always took a 2--3 week trip to ? (wherever the wind was blowing), and he would stop at every cemetary we passed, a 2 hour trip would take 4 hours. To a little kid, wasn't much fun, I wish I could have just one more trip to a cemetary with him.

kevinpate
12-13-2009, 02:40 PM
Reminds me of my late grandfather, I spent several summers on his farm in Fairveiw Ok, we always took a 2--3 week trip to ? (wherever the wind was blowing), and he would stop at every cemetary we passed, a 2 hour trip would take 4 hours. To a little kid, wasn't much fun, I wish I could have just one more trip to a cemetary with him.

Growing up, the primary local resting acres were adjacent to a city park, the only park with a pool. We often rode our bikes on the pathways, but not if there was a service taking place, as that woulda been rude and mommas wouldn't cotton much to that kind of rude. No cars, no motorcycles, always quieter than the park, even the adjacent part, though that was likely more mental than anything. And old markers were works of art.

But when I became old enough, at still too young an age, to have close folks from life end up with their own markers, I rode the trails less and sat more.

I still visit final resting acres at times, as I find them serene. But not very often.

circuitboard
12-13-2009, 02:53 PM
That was a great article about OKC!