View Full Version : What internet provider do you use?

Armani
12-12-2009, 09:16 AM
I have recent gotten cox cable installed. Their internet/price ratio is very good, but I found out they limit what you can do with your internet.

"The anti-piracy lobby has been putting pressure on ISPs to act against customers who download copyright infringing content. Thus far, most ISPs have simply forwarded the takedown requests they receive, but Cox Communications is taking it one step further, by disconnecting alleged copyright infringers."

They have a 3 strike policy if you download infringed material. What internet do you all use?

Urban Pioneer
12-12-2009, 09:20 AM
Cox now. AT&T was great phone service but their DSL and out of country tech support was terrible. They entered the Internet age trying to catch up.

Oh, if you have a MAC, they were clueless throughout our past engagement.

Armani
12-12-2009, 09:27 AM
I use to use dsl also. I paid about $25 a month for 1.5mbp? It was really slow. For cox i get about 10mbps for $30 a month.

Looks like us Oklahoman only have 2 internet provider choices

Architect2010
12-12-2009, 11:46 AM
Cox. I have gotten 1 message from Cox when trying to open my internet. They had detected an illegally downloaded movie on my computer and told me to delete it. They wouldn't allow internet access until I did and sure enough when I deleted it. My internet was back on instantly.

Armani
12-12-2009, 11:50 AM
I got that message this morning and what really doesn't sit well with me is HOW they know if it's on my hard drive still or not. Seems it means they have access to my hard drive and that's a huge breech of privacy.

LakeEffect
12-13-2009, 06:34 AM
I don't consider a breech of privacy. You are paying them to provide a service, over which they face regulatory control. Therefore, if you want to use them, then you need to play by the law. I'm honestly shocked that you're openly complaining that you can't engage in illegal activity...

kevinpate
12-13-2009, 07:03 AM
well, not too openly. Other than that, you're spot on.

OU Adonis
12-13-2009, 09:58 AM
Well I bet the song or movie was downloaded via a Peer to Peer software like limeware.

If you download via P2P you leave your IP address behind. IP addresses can be traced through the ISP back to you. Its not like they are snooping through your hard drive. Its like placing a call and your name shows up on Caller ID.

securityinfo
12-13-2009, 11:24 AM
Please, quote the source for the below statement.

I have recent gotten cox cable installed. Their internet/price ratio is very good, but I found out they limit what you can do with your internet.

"The anti-piracy lobby has been putting pressure on ISPs to act against customers who download copyright infringing content. Thus far, most ISPs have simply forwarded the takedown requests they receive, but Cox Communications is taking it one step further, by disconnecting alleged copyright infringers."

They have a 3 strike policy if you download infringed material. What internet do you all use?

securityinfo
12-13-2009, 11:50 AM
If you download via P2P you leave your IP address behind. IP addresses can be traced through the ISP back to you. Its not like they are snooping through your hard drive. Its like placing a call and your name shows up on Caller ID.
This is somewhat inaccurate, IMHO. While your ip address is included in the swarm, it in no way indicates the exact nature of the information on your storage media. Your participation may be considered intent to aquire, but not neccesarily to distribute. You may only have a few megabytes of a several gigabyte file. Now, if you subsequently download something covered under copyright using P2P technology and then reshare it, you potentially have a problem. There are ways to get around this as well...

I in no way support the theft of intellectual property via stolen digital media, but the bare fact is that are legitimate reasons to use P2P technology (open source software is often distributed in this manner).

I find it hard to believe that the downloading of a single piece of digital media controlled by copyright would result in a disconnect from your ISP.
However, service providers are notorious for knee-jerk reactions from DCMA lawyers. But this sounds over the top.

I would be very interested in finding out that Cox was disconnecting customers on a first offense. And how removing a file changes anything. I suspect turning off the P2P application, thereby stopping the flow of traffic would be how one satisfies the isp.

Look into TOR.

muzique808
12-13-2009, 10:15 PM
To the commenters above who have received messages from Cox: Did you or your technician install any Cox software on your computer when you signed up? They may have the tracer built into that software. If you put their software on your machine, you give them access to your system. I know that is a generalization, and I haven't any proof of that other than the fact that a good majority of computer software available now reports something back to the software vendor, whether you know it or not. You can prove that with a peek at your network traffic or firewall logs.

You can and should refuse to allow Cox to install any software on your machine. Just my opinion, not trying to start a fight.

muzique808
12-13-2009, 10:29 PM
Cox. I have gotten 1 message from Cox when trying to open my internet. They had detected an illegally downloaded movie on my computer and told me to delete it. They wouldn't allow internet access until I did and sure enough when I deleted it. My internet was back on instantly.

Did Cox just turn off the service with no notice? That would seem to violate their own policy.

12. Termination and Surviving Obligations
Either party may terminate this Agreement at any time without cause by providing the other party with no less than twenty-four (24) hours written notice of such termination. In the event of termination by you, you must notify Cox by telephone or by a non-electronic written submission. Email submissions shall not constitute effective notice. In the event of termination by Cox, Cox may notify you of such termination by electronic or other means.

Policies serving Oklahoma City | Cox Communications (http://ww2.cox.com/aboutus/oklahomacity/policies.cox)

muzique808
12-13-2009, 10:39 PM
Please, quote the source for the below statement.

Here is one article, from October 2008.
Cox Employs 'Three Strikes' DMCA Policy - Falsely infers the DMCA requires they disable accounts... - dslreports.com (http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Cox-Employs-Three-Strikes-DMCA-Policy-98121)

The article has a copy of the notice. This implies that Cox was acting on a DMCA request. It may not be Cox that knows you have the illegal content, but someone else watching the download sites and p2p traffic. I retract portions of my earlier statement about Cox spying on your computers, but I still don't trust them and will not allow them to install their software for various other reasons.

Thunder
12-14-2009, 06:59 AM
Looks like us Oklahoman only have 2 internet provider choices

Negative. I use Cricket Broadband Wireless.

Architect2010
12-14-2009, 09:23 AM
Did Cox just turn off the service with no notice? That would seem to violate their own policy.

Yes they did. Instead of my home page popping up in the IE Explorer window, I got their lovely little message. I'm honestly not too worried about it. I just deleted it and went on with my life.

I don't use Limewire or any other P2P downloading software.

LIL_WAYNE_2012_PREZIDENT
12-14-2009, 02:20 PM
Cox internet
cox cable
cox phones

kd5ili
12-14-2009, 04:42 PM
I use Wildblue Satellite internet...way overpriced, but when you live in the country you don't have many options for broadband.

I would have issue with an ISP "scanning" my computer drives for something that they deemed to be illegal. How do they know it's illegal? You can buy movies and download them...same with music. How about people who have audio and/or video servers set up, with copies of media that they own? No, COX does not have the right to invade your privacy to look for something illegal. I mean, jeez...the police need a search warrent to do that. Is COX above the law?

-Chris-

securityinfo
12-14-2009, 09:30 PM
Here is one article, from October 2008.
Cox Employs 'Three Strikes' DMCA Policy - Falsely infers the DMCA requires they disable accounts... - dslreports.com (http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Cox-Employs-Three-Strikes-DMCA-Policy-98121)

The article has a copy of the notice. This implies that Cox was acting on a DMCA request. It may not be Cox that knows you have the illegal content, but someone else watching the download sites and p2p traffic. I retract portions of my earlier statement about Cox spying on your computers, but I still don't trust them and will not allow them to install their software for various other reasons.

Thank you.