View Full Version : Trader Joe's

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

OkieNate
10-02-2014, 03:49 PM
I never considered using TJs as a supplement store, so I'll have to reconsider my stance when they arrive. I've always wondered why HEB wont come here and bring a central market or two here as well. I believe the success of WF and Sprouts proves a CM would work here.

bluedogok
10-02-2014, 08:27 PM
HEB/Central Market is focused on Texas and Mexico. There is no doubt to me that HEB/CM would do well in Oklahoma but they have no interest in expanding outside of Texas, they have plenty of other locations in Texas to expand into. We do miss HEB and stock up on items when we are back in Midland visiting the in-laws. My father wishes they would open up in OKC after going to the one we shopped at in Austin when he was visiting.

metro
10-02-2014, 09:29 PM
HEB is not what it used to be, I don't get the current hype, although I could see the hype of HEB 10-15 years ago.

NoOkie
10-02-2014, 09:35 PM
The Central Market in Plano might be the best grocery store I've been to. Regular HEB is just a regular grocery store.

Soonerman
10-03-2014, 12:46 AM
I wish OKC had a Market Street!!

bchris02
10-03-2014, 05:41 AM
It's been discussed numerous times on OKCTalk, but grocery stores is one area where one could still be legitimately negative about OKC. The stores here, other than a few locations, are far below what is standard in other cities. It would be very nice and welcome for any strong chain, be it H-E-B, Tom Thumb, Kroger, Publix, Safeway, whatever, to enter the OKC market. Hopefully at least with WinCo entering the market finally giving Wal-Mart competition and Uptown Grocery expanding, the days of depressing grocery stores in OKC are numbered.

Prunepicker
10-12-2014, 10:09 PM
I've visited a Trader Joe's in Nashville a couple of times. I honestly wasn't impressed.

There were a few things I thought were interesting, like peanut butter filled pretzels,
but I won't make the effort to visit another. I prefer local flavor. Trader Joe's is a
typical chain. Chains are over priced and attract the pop culture.

catch22
10-12-2014, 11:29 PM
I've visited a Trader Joe's in Nashville a couple of times. I honestly wasn't impressed.

There were a few things I thought were interesting, like peanut butter filled pretzels,
but I won't make the effort to visit another. I prefer local flavor. Trader Joe's is a
typical chain. Chains are over priced and attract the pop culture.

I didn't realize PP was a hipster.

bchris02
10-13-2014, 05:38 AM
I wonder if Trader Joe's in OKC, if a deal is still in the works, will be announced by the end of 2015.

Rover
10-13-2014, 07:35 AM
I didn't realize PP was a hipster.

TJ isn't really a hipster hangout. Actually, I think all of them I know about are in pretty affluent and upscale areas, not around hipster hangouts.

AP
10-13-2014, 07:42 AM
TJ isn't really a hipster hangout. Actually, I think all of them I know about are in pretty affluent and upscale areas, not around hipster hangouts.

That was the point of catch's statement. PP said it was overrated, like a hipster would say.

Rover
10-13-2014, 07:44 AM
sorry. Missed that as the point.

bchris02
10-13-2014, 07:55 AM

I agree. In Charlotte TJs wasn't hipster at all. It was a pretty affluent/yuppie store in one of the nicest suburban areas in the city.

I think catch22 was referring to the fact that PP said he preferred shopping at a local grocer over a chain as being hipster.

Plutonic Panda
10-13-2014, 08:30 AM
This is like a repeat of this thread going dead, someone replies, I think Pete made some announcement, only to find it's just someone saying they loved or didn't care for it. ;)

bchris02
10-13-2014, 08:44 AM
This is like a repeat of this thread going dead, someone replies, I think Pete made some announcement, only to find it's just someone saying they loved or didn't care for it. ;)

I agree. Every time I see this thread updated I keep hoping Pete has made an announcement.

bluedogok
10-13-2014, 06:30 PM
The 8th & Colorado location here in Denver can be but the one in Capitol Hill set to open soon since it is surrounded by the hipster village apartments. The location in Greenwood Village is a pretty broad mix of people from hipster to folks older than we are.

JohnH_in_OKC
11-02-2014, 01:31 AM
According to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldi), the Aldi Nord (owner of Trader Joe's) and Aldi Süd (owner of U.S. Aldi stores) do not compete with each other's locations anywhere in the world. Both companies operate stores in the U.S. and Germany, but in different cities. They do consolidate their product purchasing, but label their products with Trader Joe's brand names and/or Aldi brand names.

Check the U.S. locations of Trader Joe's: Trader Joe's store locator (http://m.traderjoes.com/store-locator.asp)
Check the U.S. locations of Aldi stores: Aldi Store locator (https://www.aldi.us/en/services/store-locator/)
(Note that Austin & OKC only have Aldi stores and Dallas & Denver have only Trader Joe's stores.)

Unless their corporation bylaws change, OKC should give up on the idea of attracting Trader Joe's stores because we already have Aldi stores.

Spartan
11-02-2014, 06:16 AM
There are tons if markets with both bc Aldi is pretty much everywhere. They're both in Cleveland for example (which has two TJ's, four WF's, tons of Aldis)

bchris02
11-02-2014, 09:18 AM
Austin has several Trader Joe's locations. Charlotte has both Trader Joe's and Aldi. That information is incorrect.

A lot of people say Oklahoma's liquor laws are why Trader Joe's isn't here, but I don't think that is the case. I think its due to the lack of a suitable location and all the problems with Glimcher and Classen Curve/Nichols Hills Plaza, where they were originally looking. Hopefully Trader Joe's will open an OKC location once all of those issues are shaken out or maybe in Chisolm Creek once it is built.

NWOKCGuy
11-02-2014, 09:47 AM
According to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldi), the Aldi Nord (owner of Trader Joe's) and Aldi Süd (owner of U.S. Aldi stores) do not compete with each other's locations anywhere in the world. Both companies operate stores in the U.S. and Germany, but in different cities. They do consolidate their product purchasing, but label their products with Trader Joe's brand names and/or Aldi brand names.

Check the U.S. locations of Trader Joe's: Trader Joe's store locator (http://m.traderjoes.com/store-locator.asp)
Check the U.S. locations of Aldi stores: Aldi Store locator (https://www.aldi.us/en/services/store-locator/)
(Note that Austin & OKC only have Aldi stores and Dallas & Denver have only Trader Joe's stores.)

Unless their corporation bylaws change, OKC should give up on the idea of attracting Trader Joe's stores because we already have Aldi stores.

1. TJ's Austin Northwest (454)

9722 Great Hills Trail
Austin, TX 78759

2. TJ's Austin Seaholm (452)
Coming Soon!

211 Seaholm Drive, Suite 100
Austin, TX 78703

3. TJ's Austin-
Rollingwood (453)

2805 Bee Cave Rd
Austin, TX 78746

Chadanth
11-02-2014, 09:48 AM
Austin has several Trader Joe's locations. Charlotte has both Trader Joe's and Aldi. That information is incorrect.

A lot of people say Oklahoma's liquor laws are why Trader Joe's isn't here, but I don't think that is the case. I think its due to the lack of a suitable location and all the problems with Glimcher and Classen Curve/Nichols Hills Plaza, where they were originally looking. Hopefully Trader Joe's will open an OKC location once all of those issues are shaken out or maybe in Chisolm Creek once it is built.

Having been to several TJ's, I have to argue that liquor laws play some role. They devote a significant amount of floor space to wine and beer, and I'm sure those account for a healthy portion of their profit margins.

bchris02
11-02-2014, 10:00 AM
Having been to several TJ's, I have to argue that liquor laws play some role. They devote a significant amount of floor space to wine and beer, and I'm sure those account for a healthy portion of their profit margins.

They can do what Costco has managed to pull off in Tulsa by partnering with a local liquor store owner and having a liquor store with a separate entry. Other states with backwards laws do the same thing. It's a little more difficult in Oklahoma due to the fact to own a liquor store you have to have lived in the state for ten years, but it can be done.

Chadanth
11-02-2014, 10:34 AM
They can do what Costco has managed to pull off in Tulsa by partnering with a local liquor store owner and having a liquor store with a separate entry. Other states with backwards laws do the same thing. It's a little more difficult in Oklahoma due to the fact to own a liquor store you have to have lived in the state for ten years, but it can be done.

Seems like a good strategy.

JohnH_in_OKC
11-02-2014, 01:34 PM

It looks like I'm wrong. My apologies for my misinformation. I know Trader Joe's stores are more upscale than Aldi stores. I hope we do get TJ stores here, if possible. But Aldi is expanding its presence here in OKC & I love shopping at their stores. Aldi does have many of the TJ products except under Aldi brand names.

tfvc.org
11-02-2014, 04:42 PM
In Florida (Well at least in the Tampa/ St Pete area) a lot of the grocery stores build ~1/6th of their space as liquor stores. That space you have to go out of the main grocery store (which does sell wine/beer) and walk into a separate entry that is the liquor store which sells the hard stuff and more wine and beer. They usually have different hours, and I think that they are seperate LLCs as well (don't quote me on this). I wonder if this is legal in Oklahoma and if TJs can do the same thing?

Zuplar
11-02-2014, 04:50 PM
Kind of a shame cause Aldi sucks. You got to pay for bags, can't use credit cards, and have to have a coin for a cart. We shopped there once and will never go back, mostly cause these are annoyances and it's not like it's any cheaper than places like Crest. I really have yet to find a grocery store that makes me want to switch from going to Crest. Been going to them for 20 years, and at this point don't plan to stop.

bluedogok
11-02-2014, 04:59 PM
They are only allowed one liquor license in the entire state of Colorado, the Denver 8th & Colorado location is the only one in the state with liquor. The one Whole Foods with liquor is in Boulder.

Mike_M
11-03-2014, 08:49 AM
Kind of a shame cause Aldi sucks. You got to pay for bags, can't use credit cards, and have to have a coin for a cart. We shopped there once and will never go back, mostly cause these are annoyances and it's not like it's any cheaper than places like Crest. I really have yet to find a grocery store that makes me want to switch from going to Crest. Been going to them for 20 years, and at this point don't plan to stop.

If you are a really picky eater, you will probably hate Aldi. But if you pretty much have the same grocery list every month with a few outliers and specialties, Aldi is GREAT. 1) The prices are just as cheap if not cheaper than Crest. 2) Most Aldi shoppers keep their grocery bags in their car trunk and at least one quarter in their glove compartment, not really that big of a deal. 3) Aldi is small enough to get in and out with your month's groceries in literally minutes.

If you can get yourself over the generic labeling, you'll see that Aldi actually has quality products, including an ever growing selection of gluten-free which is great for kids with allergies. Also if you don't have a Crest nearby, Aldi is MUCH cheaper than Walmart or Homeland.

ctchandler
11-03-2014, 09:47 AM

Zuplar,
I'm not a fan of ALDI, but I love the coin for the basket. About a month after a $6,500 hail damage repair and new paint on my car, somebody left a basket in the handicapped area while I was in the Walmart. When I came out, it was up against my car and scratched the rear passenger door. The coin encourages people to return the basket. Even rude people are too cheap to leave the basket with their quarter in it. They've been doing this for years in Great Britain, but they require a one pound (about $1.60) coin. They don't have problems with people not returning baskets.
C. T.

Rover
11-03-2014, 09:52 AM
Bags at a nickle or 25 cents is a problem? Wow. And you get your 25 cents back on the cart. It sure keeps the lot free of carts left by lazy shoppers.

And yes, Aldi's is cheaper than Crest on most things. But it doesn't carry variety and specialty items.

Zuplar
11-03-2014, 10:04 AM
I wouldn't have an issue so much with a nickel bag, if taxes weren't 8.75% or whatever they are. When I was in DC, they charge for bags, and I don't mind, but then again their tax rate is 5.25%. We go to the grocery store once every 2 months, so we get lots of bags, and spend quite a bit of money. We like it to be one and done. FWIW there isn't an Aldi close to us so that's also a big factor. Crest is the closest grocery store and we've always felt like their prices were good, and we can get everything we need.

Rover
11-03-2014, 10:24 AM
Taxes go to the state. What does that have to do with the price of bags that Aldi charges?

Zuplar
11-03-2014, 10:48 AM
Taxes go to the state. What does that have to do with the price of bags that Aldi charges?

I can tell you want to argue for the sake of arguing, but I'm not paying extra for something at an inferior store. That's my opinion. Most states or cities have imposed the charging of bags, like Boulder CO, therefore in essence it is a tax. Maybe not for Aldi since Oklahoma doesn't require stores to charge. So when I was charged at CVS in DC, it was a tax, so that specific comparison has everything to do with a cheaper tax rate.

bchris02
11-03-2014, 12:51 PM
Back on Trader Joe's, for the past few years it has been said it would be surprising if there wasn't an announcement by years end. Of course, that was before the Glimcher buyout and the subsequent issues there. I honestly will be very surprised at this point if there is an announcement in 2014.

Does anybody know if the deal is still in the works?

Plutonic Panda
11-03-2014, 02:48 PM
Back on Trader Joe's, for the past few years it has been said it would be surprising if there wasn't an announcement by years end. Of course, that was before the Glimcher buyout and the subsequent issues there. I honestly will be very surprised at this point if there is an announcement in 2014.

Does anybody know if the deal is still in the works?I wonder if all the changing hands of the properties messed everything up.

oklip955
11-03-2014, 08:03 PM
Can we start a new thread on Aldi's? Please can we keep Aldi post to Aldi thread and TJ to TJ? Anyway, if we had both, I would shop both. I shop a number of different stores for different items and for savings. Each to their own. If love one store or have a limit on shopping time, shop where its best for you. Lets have lots of shopping choices.

seaofchange
11-05-2014, 09:41 AM

Dallas has both Trader Joe's and Aldi. As does Charlotte NC, Greenville SC, Kansas City MO and several other areas...

bchris02
11-05-2014, 09:42 AM
Can we start a new thread on Aldi's? Please can we keep Aldi post to Aldi thread and TJ to TJ? Anyway, if we had both, I would shop both. I shop a number of different stores for different items and for savings. Each to their own. If love one store or have a limit on shopping time, shop where its best for you. Lets have lots of shopping choices.

I second this.

Pete
11-05-2014, 10:00 AM
There is a thread about Aldi's.

Just follow the auto-generated link.

Plutonic Panda
11-05-2014, 06:16 PM
It would be nice if this was reserved for announcements related to Trader Joes coming here and a general discussion be carried on in another thread.

bchris02
11-05-2014, 09:28 PM
It would be nice if this was reserved for announcements related to Trader Joes coming here and a general discussion be carried on in another thread.

I know what you mean. Every time somebody posts in here I keep hoping it is an announcement that Trader Joe's is coming here. I was a regular at Trader Joe's part of the time when I lived in Charlotte and it's one thing there is really no replacement for so I am very eager to see it come here.

ljbab728
11-05-2014, 09:51 PM
You mean this isn't the Mystery Grocery Store thread?

bchris02
11-27-2014, 10:11 AM
Any new updates/info on Trader Joe's in OKC? With rumors heating up on a Tulsa location I hope they announce an location OKC at the same time or soon after.

Pete
11-27-2014, 10:19 AM
I bet they still plan to go into the Glimcher property but are just waiting for them to finalize their master plan.

They are expanding all over the place in other cities, so I'm sure they don't mind waiting on the location they want.

LandArchPoke
12-14-2014, 10:15 PM
Trader Joe's is coming to Brookside in Tulsa. 37th and Peoria across from the KJRH studio. Details should be announced in the next few months, lease is signed.

bchris02
12-15-2014, 06:29 AM
Disappointing that yet another major national retailer is opting for Tulsa first. What the heck is wrong with retail in OKC?

Good news is a Tulsa location means that eventually an OKC location is likely. It wouldn't surprise me if their intention was to come to OKC first but like Costco, problems with the location they wanted caused them to do Tulsa first and then they will revisit OKC down the road.

LandArchPoke
12-15-2014, 07:28 AM
I think it's more about the way this development happened (can't speak to the details of it), but if something similar happens I'm sure one in OKC is just a matter of time. In reality this is probably one of the worst locations they could have picked. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets some NIMBY's from the Brookside neighborhood association. In a quarter mile of this site you have Whole Foods, Reasor's (they are doing an upscale version to compete with Whole Foods), and WalMart. In my opinion it's an over grocered area. Also, Trader Joe's has had their eye on Tulsa ever since the TYPro's did a campaign to attract them by taking orders for people and driving to Kansas City and bringing it back. They filled up 4-5 SUV's with orders.

I think OKC will eventually probably get 2-3 Trader Joes. I could see for sure one in Norman and one in either the Classen Curve area or Midtown when it's slightly more developed. I could also see one going into the Chisholm Creek development and it wouldn't surprise me.

Pete
12-15-2014, 08:01 AM
If TJ's goes to Tulsa first, it will be for similar reasons as Costco: A site that they wanted better fit their timing.

Retailers don't just come into a market with the idea they will open by X date. They have real estate people who scout sites and when they find one that fits their criteria, it goes into a future development queue along with lots of other markets, new and existing.

For whatever reason, the deal at Nichols Hills Plaza has slowed way down. If anything, a store in Tulsa virtually guarantees one in OKC, so this is good news.

zachj7
12-15-2014, 10:24 AM
Where is this information coming from about the Tulsa location?

Congratz for Tulsa if true! Not surprised!

Pete
12-15-2014, 10:36 AM
I've heard the same info about a Tulsa location as well, right down to the location.

So, I think it's happening.

AP
12-15-2014, 10:42 AM
That's pretty dense location. Where are people going to park?

bchris02
12-15-2014, 10:56 AM
This is so disappointing.

Not only is Tulsa getting a very sought after retailer, but it's going in a very good location in proximity to Tulsa's urban core. This would be similar to them opening up in OKC in Uptown or Midtown, which isn't likely to happen in the near future. 10-15 years down the line when these neighborhoods are as built out and revitalized as Tulsa's then maybe. If OKC eventually gets Trader Joe's its likely to be in the suburbs or Classen Curve at best. Meanwhile OKC is stuck with the Homeland at 10th and Classen and urban residents have to rely on it or a Wal-Mart at 50th and Classen.

Sorry for being negative its just so frustrating. This illustrates nicely how much catching up OKC still has to do.

zachj7
12-15-2014, 10:59 AM
^ These retailers opening up in Tulsa will eventually come to OKC. It's frustrating but they will come... It's hard being patient when most consider OKC to be the premier city in OK.

Rover
12-15-2014, 11:10 AM
That's pretty dense location. Where are people going to park?

This is the dense cool urban area it is going into in Tulsa.

Pete
12-15-2014, 11:39 AM

Not only is Tulsa getting a very sought after retailer, but it's going in a very good location in proximity to Tulsa's urban core. This would be similar to them opening up in OKC in Uptown or Midtown, which isn't likely to happen in the near future. 10-15 years down the line when these neighborhoods are as built out and revitalized as Tulsa's then maybe. If OKC eventually gets Trader Joe's its likely to be in the suburbs or Classen Curve at best. Meanwhile OKC is stuck with the Homeland at 10th and Classen and urban residents have to rely on it or a Wal-Mart at 50th and Classen.

Sorry for being negative its just so frustrating. This illustrates nicely how much catching up OKC still has to do.

Utter BS.

We've been over this countless times but it's pretty clear you just like to complain.

Rover
12-15-2014, 11:58 AM

You must not be familiar with this area. It is nothing like midtown. There is a block or two stretch of Peoria that is pretty cool. However, this is quite a ways from downtown Tulsa and Peoria south of it has been a transitional area for two or three decades. It is on its way from downtown to Southern Hills. It is more like being at Western in the antique and restaurant area. The immediate adjacent homes are small and unspectacular, but affluent neighborhoods are not far to the East.

zachj7
12-15-2014, 12:12 PM
Tulsa is laid out quite a bit better as a city. The brookside area is a bit more developed than any inner city area in OKC. I go up to Tulsa quite often so this will be a treat to be able to stop at. Work and progress doesn't happen due to negativity so I am trying to stay positive with OKC and I know these retailers will come. I think it's amazing that we are getting a Pappadeaux! I believe OKC is one of their smaller markets but one of their larger restaurants. If I was living in Tulsa, I'd be pretty jealous of the expansion on memorial. Sooo... We win some and lose some, but I believe in the end we will win more.

dankrutka
12-15-2014, 12:15 PM
You must not be familiar with this area. It is nothing like midtown. There is a block or two stretch of Peoria that is pretty cool. However, this is quite a ways from downtown Tulsa and Peoria south of it has been a transitional area for two or three decades. It is on its way from downtown to Southern Hills. It is more like being at Western in the antique and restaurant area. The immediate adjacent homes are small and unspectacular, but affluent neighborhoods are not far to the East.

Brookside is a fantastic urban area with a great mix of retail, food/drinks, etc. It's more than a "block or two." Far more dense and developed than Midtown or Western. And that picture is somewhat misleading if you don't know the area. While there is not a ton of density south of this location, there is great density north of it with tons of great shops. So, basically, this will anchor the south side of a fantastic urban stretch. The intention here is NOT to start a Tulsa/OKC war as there's now a thread for that, but I wanted to address the mischaracterization of Brookside. This will be an even better area now.

adaniel
12-15-2014, 12:26 PM
I can't believe the level of butthurt on here about a damn Trader Joes.

Trust me, while it is a nice store it is not worth this level of consernation. In fact its quite overrated, especially considering OK locations can't even sell their brands of wine.

LandArchPoke
12-15-2014, 12:26 PM

Western is probably the best analogy. If you were looking at adjacency to downtown Cherry Street would be the equivalent to Midtown (they are really nothing alike though).

The drive from downtown to this new location is about 5-8 minutes give or take on how many stoplights you hit. So this is the closest quality grocer outside of Reasors on Cherry Street to downtown Tulsa.

I think you are underestimating the density of retail in this neighborhood though. Between 33rd and 38th on Peoria there is about 450,000 square feet of retail. In comparison that is the same amount of retail as Western has between Classen Curve and just south of 23rd. Bricktown has about 750,000 square feet of retail minus the Bass Pro and Movie Theater (close to 900,000 with both). If you group in the 41st/Peoria intersection that brings the area total up to 700,000 square feet. Once you get past 41st Street that area does become more of a transitional neighborhood. Those "small and unspectacular" homes you are talking about still sell for over $300,000 if you are east of Peoria and most between Riverside and Peoria go from $150,000 or more.

This specific site is going to have parking issues, unless they plan to construct underground parking. There isn't much land in the back unless they plan to demo some of the houses which will surely create a rift between the developer and the neighborhood association.

Aerial of Site
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/912/LRabLO.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pcLRabLOj)

Looking South
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/910/PjXaAV.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/paPjXaAVj)

Looking North
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/903/SytBxQ.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/p3SytBxQj)