View Full Version : Trader Joe's

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17

Pete
09-24-2016, 08:15 AM
Aldi has grown on me and there are some basic similarities but I like TJ's miles better.

One of the biggest differences is the spare merchandising (most things stacked in cut cartons) and tedious checkout process at Aldi.

And TJ's carries way more things.

jerrywall
09-24-2016, 08:16 AM
Meh. I used a shopping cart for free, and then they again for free bagged my groceries. And I've never seen sushi, much less priced at those prices points, at Aldi.

Aldi has its place, and I regularly hit the one near me. But such a difference in the type of items. It's like comparing William Sonoma to the kitchen tool aisle at Walmart.

foodiefan
09-24-2016, 09:13 AM
. . . like comparing William Sonoma to the kitchen tool aisle at Walmart.

and perhaps the reason for both to exist!!

stile99
09-24-2016, 10:15 AM
Meh. I used a shopping cart for free

As much as I hate it: LOL. It was free at Aldi as well unless you made the deliberate choice not to return the cart, and TJ has been open less than 30 hours and the European cart has already been suggested in this thread. I used to get annoyed when people made the claim that they had to 'rent' a cart, now it just makes me laugh. I'm sure TJ, at least at this location, will eventually try it out and then, like Apple taking already-established ideas, it'll be the most clever innovation ever, one that only they could ever have thought of.

I agree completely, the *shopping experience* is different, just as it is in my other examples. To continue picking on Walmart, there are different items available at Walmart Neighborhood than there are at Walmart Supercenter, that's the entire point. And if you only need groceries, not a tire change, glasses, haircut, and makeover then Walmart Neighborhood is probably a better 'experience'. Likewise, if you DO need a tire change, glasses, haircut, and makeover, you're going to be disappointed with Walmart Neighborhood. I'm probably not making my point very well, what I'm saying is I don't understand why is it a turn off to some that Aldi has a variety of new items every week, but a huge plus that Trader Joe's does the exact same thing?

Ginkasa
09-24-2016, 12:27 PM
I'm probably not making my point very well, what I'm saying is I don't understand why is it a turn off to some that Aldi has a variety of new items every week, but a huge plus that Trader Joe's does the exact same thing?

Are you actually seeing the same people post these contradictory opinions, or perhaps are you seeing different people in the community post their own, different opinions and you are conflating these separate people with individual opinions into an abstract communal "person" with contradictory opinions? I don't know either way, but I've seen it before and I'm curious if this is what you're experiencing.

From my POV, I can say that I had previously really only considered Aldi as some dinky little halfway grocery store and never went in there not really knowing anything about it. It was posts from this website (perhaps you? I don't know) that broadened my horizons and allowed me to see what benefits Aldi gives. For what its worth, Aldi will be getting more of my business at least due to proximity to me if nothing else.

jerrywall
09-24-2016, 01:21 PM
I mentioned I shopped at Aldi as well. But the cart thing is a real annoyance. Like most men my age or younger, I don't carry cash or change 99 percent of the time.

Plus Aldi was heavily presented as an alternative to the existing grocery stores. Trader Joe's hasn't been. Just like sprouts which I love could never become my dedicated grocery store (it's gonna be hard for any to beat Crest for me).

As for the changing out of inventory. I don't tout that as a plus in either case. As my Portland resident brother in law told me yesterday, don't get hooked on something there because that's when they'll stop carrying it.

Either way, it's not a competition. People being excited about Trader Joe's doesn't somehow invalidate your love of Aldi.

oklip955
09-24-2016, 02:01 PM
I see Aldi's as "the low cost store" . Sure its not for everyone. I don't eat many packaged food. I eat fresh meat, veggies/fruit and whole grains most of the time. Aldi's is on my shopping rotation because of a few really good deals= need to shop there if you are on a fixed income and need to save a few bucks. I don't buy their meat, but I do buy things like pineapples, avacodos, grapes, cheese etc. TJ is a nice place to pick up low cost luxury goods. Think fig jam. Sprouts is my go to store for most of my items and Natural Foods for most of my grains. Crest is good for a few other items. Sam's club for the bulk stuff/paper goods. Its all just about the store with the right mix for you. If time is a factor then yes you need the one stop shop. Before anymore Aldi's bashing, it does really help a lot of seniors on small incomes enjoy a better standard of living. I will again say, its great to have a larger number of shopping choices so that more people have the right mix of stores for them. Happy shopping.

loveOKC
09-24-2016, 03:00 PM
I've been to TJ's THREE times since it opened. Love this place!!

stile99
09-24-2016, 03:21 PM
Are you actually seeing the same people post these contradictory opinions, or perhaps are you seeing different people in the community post their own, different opinions and you are conflating these separate people with individual opinions into an abstract communal "person" with contradictory opinions? I don't know either way, but I've seen it before and I'm curious if this is what you're experiencing.

I dunno, probably. Don't remember the username that posted it, and don't really want to look it up just to "call them out", I just remember in another topic, someone said TJs is great because you get new stuff all the time, I pointed out that Aldi does this and does it in repeating 'themes' that can easily be sussed out by looking at their ad. "Italian week" will have different kinds of pasta, sauce, cheese, etc, same thing with German week, Asia week, and so on. The response at that time was what's the point of going in and finding a pasta sauce you really like if it won't be there next time, when actually it most likely will be there next time "Italian week" rolls around. Hey, if someone has one brand they love and don't want to leave that comfort zone, that's great.

Look, I have no special love for Aldi. They are ONE store I have available to me. Latest rumor about Crest coming to Yukon/Mustang is at the development at Czech Hall and 10th, which is still in the ground moving phase and I believe Crest is aiming to be part of Phase 2. Until then, we have to make do with what is available around here or burn a crapload of gas, and I agree with the vast majority of the points made. Fresh meat? I don't think so, especially with Sprouts open right up the street now. Bag of plain white sugar? It's the same damn sugar as everywhere else, of course I'm going to get it at Aldi since I drive past them to get to Sprouts. Some people like the one stop shopping, and if they have that available, GREAT! Not everyone does unfortunately, in fact large parts of OKC (not even metro, the actual city itself) have been described as 'grocery wasteland'.

RickOKC
09-24-2016, 04:42 PM
I had my first experience at Trader Joe's yesterday. After reading the discussions here and talking to family members in other states with access to it, I have been eagerly anticipating their arrival in OKC.

For the most part, it matched my expectations by exceeding them in some ways and underwhelming them in others. I didn't know what to expect (apart from hoping to get cookie butter), and I think that helped me approach it with some objectivity.

Negatives:
As a grocery store, it is smaller than I expected it to be, and it didn't have a lot of variety in all of the staples. Don't get me wrong! I was amazed at the variety of foods, but there is really only one type/brand of each item (which I now understand is the concept). In that way, it is very much like Aldi. For instance, there is basically one brand and price range of pasta sauce (even though there are a bazillion interesting flavors of that one brand)--take it or leave it. The prices on most everything were better than your standard, organic place. However, after so many people referenced how cheap it was, it certainly doesn't come close to larger grocery stores like Crest.

Positives:
What a cool place! And while there may not have been a ton of variety within each item, I've rarely seen such variety of food in one small store! I must have been on a fall kick, because I bought a ton of pumpkin stuff (I didn't get the pumpkin tortilla chips). And, yes, I did get my first-ever jar of cookie butter. Between yesterday and today, I have had the opportunity to sample most everything we purchased, and everything is delicious! Like really delicious! The staff was friendly and helpful, and we had no wait for checkout.

Like others have said, I will be excited to go back and check it out in a week or so--when the crowds have, hopefully, died down (because it was crazy). Going forward, I think it will be a "treat" to go there once a month and pick up some exciting, seasonal foods and take in the Trader Joe's experience.

reverend
09-24-2016, 08:30 PM
Just went this evening about 8:30. Here's my wife and I's haul if anyone cares...

We already opened the Trax Mix and the Coconut chips. Can't wait to try the cookie butter everyone has raved about with the coconut crisps. My wife and mother-in-law are cheese fans so those were for them. I hope the Boffo bar is as good or better than a Snickers.

The store was reasonably well stocked for being the end of their second day. Was impressed that a gallon of whole (organic) milk was under $4.

jbkrems
09-24-2016, 10:20 PM
My girlfriend and I went there after dinner. She wanted to get a new jar of Cookie Butter. They had TONS of it in stock, right on an end cap and it was only $4.00. :)

Pete
09-25-2016, 08:31 AM
I went to the Tulsa store 2 weeks after opening and by early afternoon it was almost completely cleared out.

They seem to be doing a much better job of keeping this store stocked.

It could be because they have much more storage space at the rear of the store, which was due to the configuration of the old Crescent Market.

foodiefan
09-25-2016, 09:41 AM
. . . also perhaps of interest. . . one of the employees circulating through the crown and helping shoppers told me that all of the prices are "everyday" prices. . .not store opening specials. Lines were 6-8 deep but checkers kept things moving pretty fast. Will definitely be added to the grocery rotation. . . one stop shopping just doesn't get it for me :(

sooner88
09-25-2016, 11:23 AM
I went this morning around 10, and while it was busy I was able to easily find a parking spot and didn't have to wait in line to check out. I was very impressed with the prices, especially compared to Whole Foods. It was busy enough I didn't spend a lot of time looking through each aisle, but I have a feeling I will be here often.

AP
09-26-2016, 08:50 AM
We went around 8:30 am on Sunday. No issues parking, and while it was 'busy', it was not hard to find what we wanted. lIke sooner88 said, we were impressed with the prices. My wife told me this will probably become our go-to grocery store with Walmart filling in the gaps when necessary.

jerrywall
09-26-2016, 09:03 AM
My only real complaint was lack of signage. It's small enough, that I could hunt things down, but I've gotten spoiled by most places having signs on the aisles. I couldn't find bacon at all (although it was crowded enough, I didn't spend much time looking). I've been wanting to try their uncured TJ's brand bacon. I've heard good things about it.

Pete
09-26-2016, 09:05 AM
It is hard to find things in there but with time you get the general map memorized.

Still, a big part of the fun is combing through everything. Even when less crowded, you'll see scores of people standing in the aisles going over every little jar on the shelf.

terryinokc
09-27-2016, 07:51 AM
Just my two cents...went yesterday about 5:30, Busy but not swamped.
Been to several TJ's before...but it's been several years.
Won't be a regular store for me....but someplace fun to check out once a month or so. My first stop is always Aldi then fill in at Crest.

My complaint yesterday would be the lack of space at the checkout. I checked out at the last register toward the east.....when I was ready to leave there was not enough room to get my basked around all the other six or seven baskets at the other registers....way not enough room between the end of the check out counters and the windows. I had to wait for several people to finish to get out of the store.

Pete
09-27-2016, 08:16 AM
All TJ's have overly congested checkout areas for some reason.

corwin1968
09-27-2016, 09:12 AM
Just my two cents...went yesterday about 5:30, Busy but not swamped.
Been to several TJ's before...but it's been several years.
Won't be a regular store for me....but someplace fun to check out once a month or so. My first stop is always Aldi then fill in at Crest.

My complaint yesterday would be the lack of space at the checkout. I checked out at the last register toward the east.....when I was ready to leave there was not enough room to get my basked around all the other six or seven baskets at the other registers....way not enough room between the end of the check out counters and the windows. I had to wait for several people to finish to get out of the store.

I noted the exact same thing in my post about visiting the Tulsa location. As a really big guy, it's more than a minor nuisance.

king183
09-27-2016, 09:17 AM
I went on Sunday. I was really surprised by how small it was, but also by how much they had given the space. It made me realize how much space other groceries waste to appear "super." I was also surprised that I spent half of what I did at other stores for the same stuff. Only one of my 15 items cost over $5. Very impressed.

mattjank
09-27-2016, 09:44 AM
Went this morning at 9:15 and had a great experience. Everything was well stocked, and the store was relatively empty. Maybe 15 shoppers in the store. Absolutely no wait to check out. Definitely the time to go. Will keep stopping by for weekly goods on the way to work.

Pete
09-27-2016, 10:01 AM
Speaking of the congested check-out area, I used to shop at one location in Cali that didn't even allow you to push your cart through.

You had to back up and take it back the way you came, straight into the lines of people. It was horrible, yet the store was always packed.

And even well-established stores in West L.A. often had cars that backed up into the street, trying to find parking.

Richard at Remax
09-28-2016, 08:18 AM
I wish there was an express checkout lane

Pete
09-28-2016, 08:19 AM
I wish there was an express checkout lane

There usually is; nearest the entrance/exit.

Didn't notice if this store has one or not.

Richard at Remax
09-28-2016, 10:24 AM
Yeah I was in the line closest for entrance, def not express. 20 min wait for two jars of cookie butter

misskorilyn
09-28-2016, 11:04 AM
The middle line at this TJ's location is express. It says hand baskets only.

Brett
09-28-2016, 11:54 AM
I found the one product that will keep me coming back week after week. Trader Joe's unsalted organic white corn tortilla chips. I love salsa but need to cut down on my salt intake. At $2.69 a bag these chips are great tasting and hold up to dipping and won't break the bank like the unsalted Xochitl chips found in other grocery stores.

Pete
09-28-2016, 11:55 AM
The middle line at this TJ's location is express. It says hand baskets only.

Good to know!

And welcome to the site!

jerrywall
09-28-2016, 06:53 PM
I found the one product that will keep me coming back week after week. Trader Joe's unsalted organic white corn tortilla chips. I love salsa but need to cut down on my salt intake. At $2.69 a bag these chips are great tasting and hold up to dipping and won't break the bank like the unsalted Xochitl chips found in other grocery stores.

Thanks! I didn't see this and this is huge to me with liver disease. I make my own salsa to avoid salt but having good chips is difficult so I'll make a point of getting these.

ctchandler
09-28-2016, 09:43 PM
Thanks! I didn't see this and this is huge to me with liver disease. I make my own salsa to avoid salt but having good chips is difficult so I'll make a point of getting these.

JerryWall,
Not to prevent Trader Joe's from making a sale, but I make my own chips. We have great corn tortillas and I cut them in quarters (however, I think the preferred way is sixths), deep fry them in peanut oil (my preference, whatever would be better for your diet would be fine) and I do salt them, just my choice. I don't know if I save money, I just like my chips better than what I can purchase.
C. T.

jerrywall
09-29-2016, 08:41 AM
JerryWall,
Not to prevent Trader Joe's from making a sale, but I make my own chips. We have great corn tortillas and I cut them in quarters (however, I think the preferred way is sixths), deep fry them in peanut oil (my preference, whatever would be better for your diet would be fine) and I do salt them, just my choice. I don't know if I save money, I just like my chips better than what I can purchase.
C. T.

Yeah, I'll make my own chips as well, but I don't make enough to keep around, so where I get into trouble is impulse snacky times, and that's when I break my diet and my wife gets onto me.

ctchandler
09-29-2016, 09:00 AM
JerryWall,
See you at Trader Joe's then! Certainly sounds like a good alternative.
C. T.

White Peacock
09-30-2016, 09:43 AM
My only real complaint was lack of signage. It's small enough, that I could hunt things down, but I've gotten spoiled by most places having signs on the aisles. I couldn't find bacon at all (although it was crowded enough, I didn't spend much time looking). I've been wanting to try their uncured TJ's brand bacon. I've heard good things about it.

We bought a package of the uncured bacon ends and pieces, and it fried up beautifully.

shawnw
10-03-2016, 10:43 AM
Went on Sunday afternoon. Was super packed, but not uncomfortably so, everything moved along nicely.

Chadanth
10-03-2016, 09:01 PM
Stopped by yesterday. Blew $140. Enjoyed it.

Urbanized
11-21-2016, 06:41 AM
Thought readers of this thread might find this interesting: http://www.strongtowns.org/journal/2016/3/16/trader-joes?utm_content=buffer91932&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Pete
11-21-2016, 06:46 AM
^

That is interesting. I've had no problem parking at the NH Plaza store and worse case is to park across Avondale and hoof it over. No big deal.

I can tell you, however, that several stores in the L.A. area were nightmares in terms of parking. Many would have cars lined up out in the street at peak times.

AP
11-21-2016, 07:38 AM
Same. I've never had one single issue finding parking when I pull into the lot.

turnpup
11-21-2016, 08:19 AM
We, too, have always been able to park within a few steps of the door. Granted, our trips there have all been on weekdays during business hours when perhaps the crowds are thinner.

jerrywall
11-21-2016, 08:58 AM
I went on opening night, and it was packed and I still parked 20 feet from the door. It's never been an issue. That shopping center has plenty of parking. Now, it may be an aberration for TJ's, since there are so many other businesses in that center. I'm not familiar enough with their other locations to know.

Mike_M
11-21-2016, 09:58 AM
We've only gone at peak time on weekends and never had any issues parking. I don't think I've ever even had to drive down a 2nd row before finding a perfectly fine spot. To be fair though, our Trader's parking lot is much bigger than other ones I've seen.

Urbanized
11-22-2016, 05:17 AM
I said the article was interesting and relevant to discussion of TJ, not that it necessarily applied to this location, since it went into an existing center. That said, I do recall some concerns being expressed early on regarding the parking lot size, and this article explains why the TJ folks were UNconcerned.

lasomeday
11-22-2016, 08:50 AM
I said the article was interesting and relevant to discussion of TJ, not that it necessarily applied to this location, since it went into an existing center. That said, I do recall some concerns being expressed early on regarding the parking lot size, and this article explains why the TJ folks were UNconcerned.

I visited a Trader Joe's in Dallas and the parking lot was tiny. 4 rows of 15, you have to circle around until someone leaves to get a spot.

Brett
08-26-2018, 02:35 PM
I noticed that Trader Joe's is selling folding corkscrews with their logo on it. It won't be too long until "Two Buck Chuck" (Charles Shaw wine) is on the shelves.

Pete
08-26-2018, 05:50 PM
I noticed that Trader Joe's is selling folding corkscrews with their logo on it. It won't be too long until "Two Buck Chuck" (Charles Shaw wine) is on the shelves.

I was in there a couple of days ago.

I'm sure they'll convert the far east end of the store to wine and beer, as that is how their stores in Cali were merchandised.

I'm very curious to see what these stores are going to carry in terms of beer. I would think the local breweries would be well represented.

I'm most interested in Sam's Club and if they'll be offering any of the local brews at somewhat discounted prices.

bluedogok
08-28-2018, 12:06 PM
I visited a Trader Joe's in Dallas and the parking lot was tiny. 4 rows of 15, you have to circle around until someone leaves to get a spot.
The Denver Capitol Hill location has very little parking, the Greenwood Village location is in a big box strip. The location on Colorado Blvd. is the only one that sells beer/wine. I don't think the others even sell 3.2 beer.

Pete
09-28-2018, 12:23 PM
Raring to go for Monday:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/traderjoes092818.jpg

BlackmoreRulz
09-28-2018, 03:34 PM
Still no mention of expansion from TJ's? Just the single store in this area?

TheTravellers
09-28-2018, 03:49 PM
Still no mention of expansion from TJ's? Just the single store in this area?

Y'know, good timing, I was going to ask this after we went last Sat and it was insane. We went once a few months after opening, figured it'd be busy as hell then because it was new. Went last Sat and you could barely move it was so packed. They really need 3 stores here - one north (Edmond or Memorial Rd), the current one, and one south (maybe Moore or Norman, don't know south too well to know where one would go). Seems like TJ's would figure out they can go into any number of empty strip malls here and instantly make tons of money.

Having said that, is there ever a day/time where every aisle isn't literally so full of people you have a hard time walking through it (much less pushing a cart, which we will never do there, just a hand basket) and there aren't 5 people in line at every register (and every register is open)?

Pete
09-28-2018, 03:52 PM
I don't think they are even close to looking for another OKC location right now.

And I can assure you, that every single location I visited in California were way, way busier than anything I've seen here.

The OKC does well but it's minor leagues compared to what I used to see... Many locations had cars circling and looking for a parking space.

TheTravellers
09-28-2018, 04:18 PM
I don't think they are even close to looking for another OKC location right now.

And I can assure you, that every single location I visited in California were way, way busier than anything I've seen here.

The OKC does well but it's minor leagues compared to what I used to see... Many locations had cars circling and looking for a parking space.

Interesting - that's the exact opposite of what we experienced in Chicagoland. The store we went to was in Downers Grove, and was crazy busy the first few months it was open, then it went down to normal levels - maybe 1/4 full, no more than 2-3 people in each register line, with only 3-4 registers being open, so that's kind of how I expected this one to go. They were also located in a strip mall with tons of parking, so there was never any limit on parking, the lot could hold hundreds of cars, IIRC. Oh well, we'll have to go during a weekday and hope it's marginally better.

SEMIweather
09-28-2018, 07:47 PM
The few times I've gone to Trader Joe's, I've gone between 8-10 a.m. on a weekend morning, and it's been fine.

MikeLucky
09-28-2018, 08:22 PM
I've never been in a trader joes anywhere else that wasn't packed every time I was there.

BG918
09-28-2018, 11:14 PM
Y'know, good timing, I was going to ask this after we went last Sat and it was insane. We went once a few months after opening, figured it'd be busy as hell then because it was new. Went last Sat and you could barely move it was so packed. They really need 3 stores here - one north (Edmond or Memorial Rd), the current one, and one south (maybe Moore or Norman, don't know south too well to know where one would go). Seems like TJ's would figure out they can go into any number of empty strip malls here and instantly make tons of money.

Having said that, is there ever a day/time where every aisle isn't literally so full of people you have a hard time walking through it (much less pushing a cart, which we will never do there, just a hand basket) and there aren't 5 people in line at every register (and every register is open)?

I think a Norman TJ’s would kill it.

calitook
09-29-2018, 06:18 AM

Yes, the same time it is best to go anywhere in Oklahoma- Sunday mornings, when the entire rest of the state is at church.

bluedogok
09-29-2018, 09:51 AM

The only ones here with the car issue are the ones near downtown with very little parking and "Trader Joe's Parking Only" signs all over their smaller lots but they are in the urban districts (Capitol Hill and the former UCH/VA/CU Med School campus). The closest one to us is 16 miles from us and in a big box mall, no parking issues there as the mall has plenty of parking.

HOT ROD
10-02-2018, 01:34 PM
TJs here in Seattle/WA are not busy at all aside from typically just being smaller and therefore crowded (vs busy). Costco on the other hand, nearly all of them are busy. Sams Club pulled out. ....

I think OKC could use a few more TJs, NW OKC and Moore/Norman. That'd probably be enough until downtown really got the point for one in about 5-years.

Joe Kimball
10-04-2018, 04:58 PM
I'm just glad that we even have a Trader Joe's. It wasn't long ago at all that we were starving for just one. It's a decent location for it too.

Anyway, I bought my first bottle of Chuck yesterday! I'm glad to say that although it's "Three Buck Chuck" here ("Four" in the case of the noir, which was sold out) due to the shipping I'm sure, it's cheaper than other stores that are further from the East coast, so I read. Don't really want to bang down a bottle in one sitting, so I'm waiting for an occasion to crack it.