View Full Version : Trader Joe's

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17

TheTravellers
10-02-2015, 11:02 AM
They are (or were) owned by separate brothers and/or holding companies or something like that, not sure if they're still 2 arms of the same company or not, that's about as close as a comparison between TJ's and Aldi's goes, otherwise they're completely different types of stores. Check out earlier posts in this thread for what TJ's is like, lots of folks (including me) have posted about what it's like.

RustytheBailiff
10-09-2015, 05:08 AM
Finally formally announced! This morning's Daily Oklahoman: Trader Joe's coming to Nichols Hills
Ending years of rumors, Trader Joe's has confirmed it will open a store in the Oklahoma City suburb of Nichols Hills.

Pete
10-09-2015, 06:15 AM
Yep, they've made it official.

As I had previously reported months ago, they had signed a Letter of Intent and merely had to work out some parking issues at NH Plaza.

Can't open soon enough for me! It's my favorite retail store of any type.

AP
10-09-2015, 06:27 AM
No timeline or anything?

thunderbird
10-09-2015, 06:50 AM
No timeline or anything?

NewsOK said it will open in second half of 2016.

Pete
10-09-2015, 06:52 AM
They have to get their building permit from NH then do all the construction and stocking.

Can't wait!

shawnw
10-09-2015, 07:44 AM
Their Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/ClassenCurve/photos/a.397132890333255.87305.141622019217678/950397368340135/

shawnw
10-09-2015, 07:46 AM
I knew Pete wouldn't move here without a commitment from TJ. It's all starting to make sense... :-)

AP
10-09-2015, 07:53 AM
It doesn't seem like the build-out of the store should take a year, right? I mean the physical building is already in place.

bchris02
10-09-2015, 07:56 AM
Finally! This is great news.

This is also a huge win for Nichols Hills, which from what I've heard has struggled since the closing of Crescent Market took a lot of sales tax dollars with it.

jerrywall
10-09-2015, 08:19 AM
This is cool as a "city win". Personally, I'll probably hit it as often as I hit Whole Foods (which is like once or twice a year). But still a good thing. And I think NH Plaza, with a Pops and a Trader Joes will be a neat focal point.

Pete
10-09-2015, 08:36 AM
I've said this before but even with every grocery option know to man available here in SoCal, I go to Trader Joe's more than any other.

And I almost never, ever go in a Whole Foods. They couldn't be more different.

jerrywall
10-09-2015, 08:40 AM
Certainly. My comment wasn't meant as a disparagement or judgement of Trader Joe's at all. For me, it's about location, since it's a 20+ minute drive to that area. It'll be an occasional drop in for me, and I'll probably hit both when I do. If they build one in N. Edmond (or anywhere in Edmond) it'll be more convenient. Hopefully this one does well enough that they do.

Pete
10-09-2015, 08:42 AM
^

I see.

Just wanted to reiterate that TJ's is a completely different animal and generally quite inexpensive while Whole Foods is IMO way overpriced and that's why they are now getting their butts kicked by Sprouts and others.

The huge majority of TJ's items are completely unique to their store.

shawnw
10-09-2015, 08:42 AM
Hopefully once this case is proven successful, TJ will expand appropriately in this market. If Tucson can support 4 TJs, no reason we can't.

Urbanized
10-09-2015, 08:43 AM
Woooohoooo!! We're finally a big league city!

Oh wait...no COSTCO yet...or In-N-Out...or... ...or...

Pete
10-09-2015, 08:46 AM
Hopefully once this case is proven successful, TJ will expand appropriately in this market. If Tucson can support 4 TJs, no reason we can't.

Their stores are generally overrun just about everywhere they go.

I could see one in Norman, Edmond, downtown, southside / Moore, and far north / northwest OKC.

Motley
10-09-2015, 08:46 AM
Pete, there are Trader Joe's scattered about in So. Cal. so for most shoppers, it is a convenient choice like the neighborhood Von's or Ralph's. At least in San Diego, Whole Foods is more of a destination store since they are only about 4 scattered around the metro. I live less than a full mile from two supermarkets and a Sprouts and a TJs. I am about 10 miles from a WF.

Would you make Trader Joe's your main store even if you have to drive 5-6 miles to it for groceries? I agree that it is the opposite of Whole Foods in concept, but it draws the same type of shopper that is looking for something a little out of the ordinary.

Motley
10-09-2015, 08:51 AM
OKC needs a Costco. In n Out is not mandatory as you have several great burgers already. You should really want a Habits Burgers. They are the best IMO.

Pete
10-09-2015, 08:51 AM
I don't think many in OKC will make TJ's their primary grocery store. They have a little bit of everything but almost no brand names.

Here, people who live in smaller places and/or urban areas often shop there almost exclusively but I go to TJ's, Ralph's for name brands and things I can buy at TJ's and Costco for bulk stuff like pet food and paper products. I think most people there will do something similar.

Motley
10-09-2015, 08:57 AM
TJs is always packed with people for the very reason you say. Most people are buying the staples and bulk items at Costco now and go to TJs for the little extras. You stock up with basics at Costco and then drop by TJs for the organic natural pb and Cookie butter and assortment of cheeses and interesting snack and appetizer selections.

Eddie1
10-09-2015, 09:07 AM
Is the NH store size about average for them? I've only been in a TJ's a couple of times and recall the store being somewhat smaller than a traditional grocery.

bchris02
10-09-2015, 09:09 AM
Their stores are generally overrun just about everywhere they go.

I could see one in Norman, Edmond, downtown, southside / Moore, and far north / northwest OKC.

Trader Joe's would fit in perfectly in Midtown or on 23rd St.

AP
10-09-2015, 09:09 AM
Is the NH store size about average for them? I've only been in a TJ's a couple of times and recall the store being somewhat smaller than a traditional grocery.

I think they're generally 10k-15k sqft from what I've read.

Pete
10-09-2015, 09:10 AM
Yes, they are smaller than the modern supermarkets.

They tend to go into spaces -- like this old Crescent Market spot -- that had been occupied by old-school and thus smaller grocers.

In fact, the TJ's closest to me was an old Safeway then a Whole Foods but WF moved down the road into a much bigger store which is typical of their new-build model.

There are not many retailers to take these old grocery sites and TJ's takes full advantage.

They also do new construction sites depending on the area.

Richard at Remax
10-09-2015, 09:22 AM
Cookie Butter FTW

By the way nice shout out from The Lost Ogle

WenDragon
10-09-2015, 09:24 AM
Happy Happy Joy Joy!!!!!!:wink:

corwin1968
10-09-2015, 09:36 AM
Any news on how they will handle alcohol sales? Is a stand-alone liquor store in the same shopping center legal? Will the Oklahoma liquor laws keep them from offering alcohol?

Pete
10-09-2015, 09:39 AM
I believe they will offer only alcohol allowed by the state laws.

Seriously doubt they would bother with a separate yet adjacent liquor operation, as they aren't doing that at the Tulsa location.

Their alcohol offerings typically only take up about 5% of the store.

TU 'cane
10-09-2015, 09:40 AM
Three cheers for added grocer diversity!

gopokes88
10-09-2015, 09:41 AM
Any news on how they will handle alcohol sales? Is a stand-alone liquor store in the same shopping center legal? Will the Oklahoma liquor laws keep them from offering alcohol?

They can have 3.2 beer for now.

A stand alone liquor would be allowed to move in (unless NH doesn't allow it). However, normal liquor stores rules still apply. One liquor store per person, sole prop, resident of OK for at least 10 years, etc.

Also if TJ wanted 3 buck chuck it still would have to go through broker, wholesale, then to the liquor and any liquor store in the state would be able to sell it. I doubt it comes.

David
10-09-2015, 10:39 AM
Conveniently close to where I'm about to move to! I'll have to give them a look once they're open.

Urbanized
10-09-2015, 11:10 AM
OKC needs a Costco. In n Out is not mandatory as you have several great burgers already. You should really want a Habits Burgers. They are the best IMO.

I was being completely facetious. Having a joke at how desperate we often are for the validation of the next trendy store/restaurant, and as soon as we get one we forget about it an move on to the next place. It's a running joke here. I could have just as easily substituted Urban Outfitters, Restoration Hardware and about 10 other places.

shawnw
10-09-2015, 11:21 AM
Maybe we should just start up our own Sam's/Costco warehouse equivalent filled with MIO products and say to heck with those guys, we can do it better, and with our own stuffs.

Pete
10-09-2015, 11:23 AM
We're so late to the Urban Outfitters party that they've already gone out of style. :)

Urbanized
10-09-2015, 11:25 AM
^^^^^^^^^
Yep. Not too different from Dave & Busters, PF Chang's, etc.

bchris02
10-09-2015, 11:32 AM
We're so late to the Urban Outfitters party that they've already gone out of style. :)

Completely agree with this. Urban Outfitters is very last decade. At this point I don't think it really matters if they ever come to OKC or not. In 2007 getting one would have been a great catch.

I think some of the clamoring for better retail here is justified. The retailers commonly mentioned (Trader Joe's, Costco, Restoration Hardware, etc) are retailers that are commonplace in most markets the size of OKC. However, it is part of human nature to want things that you don't have and that definitely plays a part in it.

Pete
10-09-2015, 11:41 AM
I'll be very, very happy when Winco gets rolling.

They do a great job and will kick Walmart tail.

adaniel
10-09-2015, 12:38 PM
Woooohoooo!! We're finally a big league city!

Oh wait...no COSTCO yet...or In-N-Out...or... ...or...

OKC is nothing until we have a CtPa district.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7Dtn5_F3Us

But seriously, can we get several praise hands emojis for Pete and OKCTalk for breaking this several months ago? This site continues to bring it again and again.

CP405
10-09-2015, 06:29 PM
I am just ready to try the TJ's Cookie Butter. Have heard it is quite tasty. Though I don't doubt that this place will be super busy for a long, long time after opening. It will be a smash success. People here just want some variety in their options, especially when it comes to groceries.

Dustin
10-09-2015, 07:53 PM
Wth is cookie butter???

bchris02
10-09-2015, 08:00 PM
Wth is cookie butter???

It's amazing. The Cookies N' Cream cookie butter is my favorite.

Dustin
10-09-2015, 08:24 PM
OK, so did a quick Google search.... It's ground up cookies with vegetable oil added to give it a peanut butter consistency. Sound extremely unhealthy, but delicious!

White Peacock
10-10-2015, 07:59 AM
The best part of us getting Trader Joe's is we'll no longer have to hear people whine about us not having Trader Joe's. When I lived in Portland, I went to TJ's once and found myself unimpressed. I'll give it a go when they open up here, but since I can almost hit Aldi with a rock thrown from my front yard, I don't know how much of my business TJ's is going to steal.

Pete
10-10-2015, 08:05 AM
^

Said this many times but after hearing the non-stop raving about Trader Joe's I finally went in and just didn't get it at all.

After about 3-4 reluctant visits, I finally got on board. It's a hard place to explain or even get at first, but there are lots of great reasons that all their locations are totally slammed.

But if people don't like it that's cool with me because it's going to be plenty crowded as it is.

bchris02
10-10-2015, 08:54 AM
OKC is nothing until we have a CtPa district.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7Dtn5_F3Us

But seriously, can we get several praise hands emojis for Pete and OKCTalk for breaking this several months ago? This site continues to bring it again and again.

Here's the entire episode. Pretty hilarious and spot on.

The City Part of Town - Full Episode - Season 19 - Ep 03 | South Park Studios (http://southpark.cc.com/full-episodes/s19e03-the-city-part-of-town?xrs=synd_watch)

White Peacock
10-10-2015, 12:46 PM
^

Said this many times but after hearing the non-stop raving about Trader Joe's I finally went in and just didn't get it at all.

After about 3-4 reluctant visits, I finally got on board. It's a hard place to explain or even get at first, but there are lots of great reasons that all their locations are totally slammed.

But if people don't like it that's cool with me because it's going to be plenty crowded as it is.

That doesn't surprise me at all, because that's exactly how it was with Aldi for me. At first the concept was unappealing, then the first visit or two were like "WTF is this dump?", but after a few visits you kind of learn how to shop there, then it becomes your favorite store. TJ's and Aldi being related, I can see needing a few trips to TJ's before it clicks.

roci28
10-11-2015, 07:56 AM
I know WinCo has it's own thread, but have they made ANY other progress with their Penn and Memorial location? I wish they'd start on the other three already, especially since those deals are done!

Pete
10-11-2015, 08:22 AM
I don't know what's going on with the Penn & Memorial location but at least there is some movement at 39th & Portland for Winco.

They haven't started construction there but the landlord is demoing part of the shopping center to make way.

I'm hoping they'll at least move forward with that location.

josh
10-11-2015, 11:45 AM
Come on people, it's just Trader Joe's. I don't get the over excitement.

oklip955
10-11-2015, 12:15 PM
Back to TJ's. I see it as another option. I don't see it as the only place one shops. I'm one of those people who gets tp and paper towels at Sam's club, meat and veggies and my other basics at Sprouts , .cakes and sweets at WF, Aldi's for avacados, onions and other produce that is on sale and a few German product. When I add TJ's to the mix it will be for stuff like fig jam and other neat stuff. I'll have to see what Winco has to offer. I shop the sales papers but avoid a lot of processed food that has a lot of chemical additives. To each there own. I think that most people will use one store for the basics and then go to the others for their favorite products. I just want more choices other then Walmart and Walmart Neighborhood grocery stores. Bring on Costco and I'll use it instead of Sam's club for paper goods.

Plutonic Panda
10-11-2015, 02:14 PM
Welcome to Oklahoma.

TheTravellers
10-11-2015, 05:08 PM
^^^ Not really. I was excited about it when we lived in IL and they put a few in there, hadn't really read much about it, got one of their flyers in the mail and it looked awesome. If you don't get it, you don't get it, fine, but according to most folks that have shopped there more than once, it's a pretty damn good store.

Pete
10-11-2015, 05:13 PM
It's my favorite retail store of any type, by far.

And plenty of people feel the same, so it's fine if you don't get the place but there are plenty of people that feel differently and are thus excited, including me.

In this day and age you can buy almost anything on-line with food being the one exception. So, I don't really care about Ikea or Restoration Hardware or places like that (even though I've bought tons of things from both), but Trader Joe's and Costco are the two businesses I'll miss most from California. And if you made me choose one, I'd choose TJ's because so much of their stuff is unique to their store. Plus, it's very reasonable.

catch22
10-11-2015, 06:14 PM
Back to TJ's. I see it as another option. I don't see it as the only place one shops. I'm one of those people who gets tp and paper towels at Sam's club, meat and veggies and my other basics at Sprouts , .cakes and sweets at WF, Aldi's for avacados, onions and other produce that is on sale and a few German product. When I add TJ's to the mix it will be for stuff like fig jam and other neat stuff. I'll have to see what Winco has to offer. I shop the sales papers but avoid a lot of processed food that has a lot of chemical additives. To each there own. I think that most people will use one store for the basics and then go to the others for their favorite products. I just want more choices other then Walmart and Walmart Neighborhood grocery stores. Bring on Costco and I'll use it instead of Sam's club for paper goods.

Winco has a ton of processed foods; the overall selection is much like Walmart.

Plutonic Panda
10-11-2015, 09:05 PM
^^^ Not really. I was excited about it when we lived in IL and they put a few in there, hadn't really read much about it, got one of their flyers in the mail and it looked awesome. If you don't get it, you don't get it, fine, but according to most folks that have shopped there more than once, it's a pretty damn good store.
I shop there all the time. I did also when I lived in Dallas. I'm excited OKC is getting a TJ.

Plutonic Panda
10-11-2015, 09:06 PM
It's my favorite retail store of any type, by far.

And plenty of people feel the same, so it's fine if you don't get the place but there are plenty of people that feel differently and are thus excited, including me.

In this day and age you can buy almost anything on-line with food being the one exception. So, I don't really care about Ikea or Restoration Hardware or places like that (even though I've bought tons of things from both), but Trader Joe's and Costco are the two businesses I'll miss most from California. And if you made me choose one, I'd choose TJ's because so much of their stuff is unique to their store. Plus, it's very reasonable.I've been shopping there for awhile and I'm excited for it.

TU 'cane
10-12-2015, 09:55 AM

Welcome to Oklahoma.

Diversity is good in the market place and it can keep the area stores honest. And to anyone who doesn't believe that, I can attest first hand that the new Warren Theater in Broken Arrow is causing some of the other area theaters in Tulsa to step their games up (new seats, new options, etc.) in at least two other theaters. So... competition works. Even so, this single TJ's may not even be a blip on the radar of Wal-Mart, but it will provide another option for those who seek it out. We also have many transplants from other states with TJ's and it's exciting for them and helps the transition and home sickness many feel - thus improving their quality of life here.

Top Golf, TJ's, Costco (in Tulsa) just to name a few of these things we're finally seeing.

bchris02
10-12-2015, 10:17 PM
Diversity is good in the market place and it can keep the area stores honest. And to anyone who doesn't believe that, I can attest first hand that the new Warren Theater in Broken Arrow is causing some of the other area theaters in Tulsa to step their games up (new seats, new options, etc.) in at least two other theaters. So... competition works. Even so, this single TJ's may not even be a blip on the radar of Wal-Mart, but it will provide another option for those who seek it out. We also have many transplants from other states with TJ's and it's exciting for them and helps the transition and home sickness many feel - thus improving their quality of life here.

Top Golf, TJ's, Costco (in Tulsa) just to name a few of these things we're finally seeing.

Competition is definitely a good thing. It wasn't until Whole Foods came to OKC that the city actually finally started (slowly) getting modern grocery stores. Crest Fresh Market, Uptown Grocery, and Homeland's remodeled concept didn't exist before Whole Foods was here. The city has a long way to go on that front but its amazing how a little competition caused the others to step up their game.

White Peacock
10-17-2015, 10:01 AM
Winco has a ton of processed foods; the overall selection is much like Walmart.

Well, Winco is much like any big grocery store, really. Except they often have a pretty sizable bulk foods section, and more Shasta flavors than I've seen anywhere.