View Full Version : Trader Joe's

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Pete
03-05-2015, 01:41 PM
Saw this get retweeted by the Chisholm creek group https://twitter.com/tulsaworld/status/573579560064839682
but it confirms what has already been known and can only mean good things for our OKC Trader Joes.

Haha, yeah, just a couple of weeks ago they were still saying "no plans for next two years" for either Tulsa or OKC.

I'm sure we'll get official word on OKC in the near future.

I know for a fact they are still working out a few details with NH Plaza but both sides expect everything to work out fine.

onthestrip
03-05-2015, 01:54 PM
BTW, the reason the TJ's deal for Nichols Hills Plaza hasn't been completely finalized is they are working on some parking issues.

If you look at an aerial, there isn't a great deal of parking directly adjacent to the old Crescent space, and Pops will be going into 5,500 SF directly west (roughly the old NH Drug Store space).

They are planning to put more parking in the southwest corner, in the grassy area by CK & Co. and where Provision Kitchen is going in. But that's a long way from the TJ's space.

Before they sold the plaza, Chesapeake completely reworked the parking lot in the southern section, along with renovating the buildings. I wouldn't be surprised if Glimcher decided to rework it again because that TJ's is going to be overrun and it's going to be a serious issue for any other tenants in that shopping center.

I'm sure they'll find a way to make it work. But not sure Pops will start until TJ's does.

I'll have more on this soon.

I figured there'd be some parking issues with two new restaurants AND trying to do a deal with Whole Foods. Even if they come to a solution, you have to be careful about having available parking or you end up hurting your other tenants. Too many restaurants can be a bad thing for that.

WenDragon
03-06-2015, 06:25 AM
I'm sure we'll get official word on OKC in the near future.

can I just say how happy this makes me? my Friday had started off not so great, and this really helps!

bchris02
05-12-2015, 08:40 AM
Are we any closer to an official announcement for Trader Joe's in OKC?

zachj7
05-21-2015, 12:44 PM
I dunno, but I went to TJs in Ft Worth the other day and stocked up. Good stuff. Miss it.

BG918
05-21-2015, 01:17 PM
I was in Tulsa last week and they have started foundation work for the Brookside TJ's. I know they are hoping for a Thanksgiving opening.

bchris02
05-21-2015, 01:20 PM
Every time this thread gets bumped I get excited that there might be an official announcement. I really wonder what the holdup is. The Tulsa location went from rumor to official announcement relatively quickly. I know there is the issue of the shopping center changing ownership several times, but the NHP location has been rumored since at least 2012 and we are now halfway through 2015.

Pete
05-21-2015, 01:31 PM
Every time this thread gets bumped I get excited that there might be an official announcement. I really wonder what the holdup is. The Tulsa location went from rumor to official announcement relatively quickly.

No it didn't.

hfry
05-21-2015, 01:34 PM
Bchris, think of how far into the Tulsa locstion they were before they finally admitted it and gave an announcement. If I remember right they had already submitted the designs and basically began construction. Here we just found about it sooner since it has been rumored so long. Remember they go on their own timelines. I get just as excited when I see this thread bumped but if they do the same as Tulsa they will have submitted plans before anything is announced.

Swake
05-21-2015, 04:37 PM
No it didn't.

In January 2013 The Typros (A Tulsa Chamber group of young professionals) did a downtown pop up shop of Trader Joe's goods to show TJs there was a market in Tulsa.

The first rumor of a real store came out in November 2014 on the blog LostTulsa.

The Tulsa World got wind of it in January 2015 due to plans filed without name to the city

February 2015 the stores in the existing buildings start moving out.

March 5th 2015 Trader Joes announced a Tulsa Store.

By the start of April demolition was complete and now construction is well underway. Rumor to announcement with construction in six months.

bchris02
05-21-2015, 04:53 PM
I will be glad when it is finally announced here. Luckily thinks are moving again after having pretty much completely died down due to the sale of Glimcher to WP Glimcher. Still, 3+ years from rumor to announcement is proceeding very, very slowly.

sooner88
05-21-2015, 09:53 PM
I will be glad when it is finally announced here. Luckily thinks are moving again after having pretty much completely died down due to the sale of Glimcher to WP Glimcher. Still, 3+ years from rumor to announcement is proceeding very, very slowly.

Prior to the sale CHK was under major scrutiny, especially their real estate group. So combination of that and the sale to Glimcher there is absolutely an explanation for why it has taken so long.

WenDragon
08-06-2015, 06:26 AM
Headed down to Dallas next weekend for, among other things, my bi monthly TJ's reload. Wonder how many more months/years we'll have to wait for a location in OKC...

shawnw
08-06-2015, 10:02 AM
Did you see Steve's tweet last night saying he has no solid information on TJ coming to OKC, only rumors?

Pete
08-06-2015, 10:04 AM
Trader Joe's is still coming.

Glimcher is in the process of finalizing all their plans and major leases for NH Plaza and the new development proposed for the south side of 63rd.

Brett
08-06-2015, 04:26 PM
I ran across this cool TJ song on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdB7GDZY3Pk

Celebrator
08-06-2015, 11:13 PM
Trader Joe's is still coming.

Glimcher is in the process of finalizing all their plans and major leases for NH Plaza and the new development proposed for the south side of 63rd.

Do you anticipate an announcement before the end of this year? Really ready for this store.

Pete
08-07-2015, 05:30 AM
I honestly don't know.

I think they are pretty close to announcing their new construction and suspect they will name all the bigger tenants at that time.

WenDragon
08-07-2015, 06:30 AM
good to know.

MagzOK
08-07-2015, 06:58 AM
The map that shows where Trader Joe's is going to be, is that space even big enough? The only TJ's i've been to in Plano seems a lot bigger than that. I remember going to Crescent Market when it was in that space and seem to remember it was a rather tight fit. Maybe I just don't remember it accurately since it's been a while now. But I can just imagine the major craze and madhouse it will be when it opens and I just see that tiny area being such a clusterfart. That being said, I cannot wait to get a TJ's!

Pete
08-07-2015, 07:00 AM
The old Crescent Market space where TJ's will be going is actually larger than their typical store and larger than the one they are opening in Tulsa.

MagzOK
08-07-2015, 07:07 AM
That's good! I guess it's been so long I just can't remember the space, but I've wondered about that since the first day I ever saw the map. Then again, the wife always accuses me of not being able to see a finished product in my mind before it actually happens -- that's why I leave all the decorating and remodeling to her! :cool:

dankrutka
08-07-2015, 11:50 PM
The Trader Joe's I've stopped at a bunch in Lower Greenville isn't big that big.

oklip955
08-10-2015, 07:55 PM
Well maybe they think they need a large store since they know that they will be busy.

Eddie1
08-10-2015, 09:18 PM
Trader Joe's here is gonna kill it...so much pent-up demand.

Edgar
08-11-2015, 11:00 PM
Trader Joe's here is gonna kill it...so much pent-up demand.

for what? Visited one in Socal visiting my sister. Looked like a grocery store.You're not going to be able to buy booze there.

Celebrator
08-12-2015, 08:22 AM
for what? Visited one in Socal visiting my sister. Looked like a grocery store.You're not going to be able to buy booze there.

For an amazing and unique array of snacks and desserts, my friend, amazing desserts and snacks (among other interesting and some normal items). Who cares about booze. Plenty of other places for that.

Pete
08-12-2015, 08:29 AM
I shop in TJ's weekly and almost never buy beer or wine there.

Their inventory is about 90% unique items you can't find anywhere else.

It's far and away my favorite retailer of any kind.

gopokes88
08-12-2015, 09:17 AM
Once people just accept our liquor laws and realize drastic changes aren't coming, they'll generally stop caring about how restrictive they are. Trader Joe's has much much more to offer then just crappy $3/wine.

loveOKC
08-12-2015, 09:53 AM
I went to Traders Joes in Atlanta last month and purchased their Greek Kalamata Olive Oil. Although that was my first time in Trader Joes, I can see why its as popular as it is. The unique Nuts and Seeds, Cheeses, and Olive oils will have me in there weekly.

Pete
08-12-2015, 10:00 AM
Their prices are very, very good as well. Nothing like Whole Foods which is why I never shop there.

Brett
08-15-2015, 07:12 AM
While we in OKC are waiting with bated breath for an official announcement from TJ's, here is an article in the DMN of a new TJ's location planned for North Dallas. Enjoy!

New Trader Joe?s coming on Preston Road in Far North Dallas | | Dallas Morning News (http://bizbeatblog.dallasnews.com/2015/08/new-trader-joes-coming-on-preston-road-in-far-north-dallas.html/)

Soonerinfiniti
08-15-2015, 11:45 AM
While we in OKC are waiting with bated breath for an official announcement from TJ's, here is an article in the DMN of a new TJ's location planned for North Dallas. Enjoy!

New Trader Joe?s coming on Preston Road in Far North Dallas | | Dallas Morning News (http://bizbeatblog.dallasnews.com/2015/08/new-trader-joes-coming-on-preston-road-in-far-north-dallas.html/)

This new location is about five miles from their just-opened location at Hwy. 75 and Walnut Hill. 5 miles! Aargh! We just want ONE location somewhere in metro OKC!!

progressiveboy
08-31-2015, 08:24 AM
Interesting article regarding both Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. I think it is pretty spot on. Demographics play a big role! This article talks about North Texas but could be applied towards the Greater OKC metro area.

Are North Texas home values higher near a Trader Joe’s or Whole Foods?

bchris02
08-31-2015, 08:27 AM
Hopefully Trader Joe's announces their OKC location soon. It has been rumored to be going into Nichols Hills Plaza since 2011. Some of the delay was likely due to the shopping center changing hands and then Glimcher becoming WP Glimcher, but all of that is done now and things are starting to be announced. I wonder what the holdup is on Trader Joe's.

Pete
08-31-2015, 08:42 AM
They may have been prior rumors but they now have a signed letter of intent for NH Plaza.

As I've stated several times, it will likely be officially announced around the same time Glimcher provides more details on the new construction south of 63rd.

And BTW, there is a change in the parking setup coming before for the NH Planning Commission for the Plaza and I'm quite sure it has to do with accommodating the crush of people that will flock to TJ's.

onthestrip
08-31-2015, 09:16 AM
They may have been prior rumors but they now have a signed letter of intent for NH Plaza.

As I've stated several times, it will likely be officially announced around the same time Glimcher provides more details on the new construction south of 63rd.

And BTW, there is a change in the parking setup coming before for the NH Planning Commission for the Plaza and I'm quite sure it has to do with accommodating the crush of people that will flock to TJ's.

A TJ's along with two new restaurants on top of the other ones there...there will definitely be a need to address parking which could become scarce once all these are all open. I think they may have one too many restaurants.

Dustin
08-31-2015, 09:57 AM
When they build TJ's, are they going to sell liquor next door or just scrap the liquor until our laws change?

progressiveboy
08-31-2015, 10:01 AM
Here is the actual link from my above prior post.

Are North Texas home values higher near a Trader Joe?s or Whole Foods? | | Dallas Morning News (http://bizbeatblog.dallasnews.com/2015/08/are-north-texas-home-values-higher-near-a-trader-joes-or-whole-foods.html/)

bchris02
08-31-2015, 10:25 AM
When they build TJ's, are they going to sell liquor next door or just scrap the liquor until our laws change?

Several years ago I remember hearing they were trying to find a local partner to sell liquor. However, I don't think its a big deal if they don't. The $3 wine is pretty terrible, worse than Tisdale wine at a regular liquor store. As for beer, I was disappointed to find that the DFW locations don't sell some of the beers that I enjoyed that are sold at coastal locations.

Pete
08-31-2015, 10:31 AM
They carry all types of wines, not just the cheap stuff.

I would say alcohol represents well less than 10% of the floor space in their California stores and personally, I never buy beer or wine there.

Rover
08-31-2015, 10:45 AM
A TJ's along with two new restaurants on top of the other ones there...there will definitely be a need to address parking which could become scarce once all these are all open. I think they may have one too many restaurants.

If they build structured parking in the existing parking area of north NH Plaza it would definitely help. They could build retail below and parking above. I also suspect that the Grandmark Condos could be in play for a structured parking play.

Pete
08-31-2015, 10:49 AM
If they build structured parking in the existing parking area of north NH Plaza it would definitely help. They could build retail below and parking above. I also suspect that the Grandmark Condos could be in play for a structured parking play.

Chesapeake owns 19 of the 23 units at Grandmark but stopped trying to acquire the 4 remaining units some time ago.

They have $8 million invested in those units and millions more in the neighboring complexes they also failed to complete secure.

And of course, they paid 2 to 4 times market value for just about all of them.

Rover
08-31-2015, 10:56 AM
Chesapeake owns 19 of the 23 units at Grandmark but stopped trying to acquire the 4 remaining units some time ago.

They have $8 million invested in those units and millions more in the neighboring complexes they also failed to complete secure.

And of course, they paid 2 to 4 times market value for just about all of them.

And they have had no interest in renting them out or selling them. Apparently, they have other plans.

Pete
08-31-2015, 11:26 AM
And they have had no interest in renting them out or selling them. Apparently, they have other plans.

They can't do anything without the last 4 units and those owners have refused to sell.

It's not like they can invoke eminent domain and to some older people, there is no amount of money that will motivate them to leave their home.

They paid absurd amounts for most those units and still, the remaining owners haven't budged.

gopokes88
09-01-2015, 11:04 AM

Who do you mean when you say "they"?

Because in OK a liquor store must be a sole prop (80% sure on this not 100%), a resident of OK for at least 10 years, and may only own one store. So if you meant TJ? Then no, TJ will not be opening a store next door, but an opportunist local wanting to open a liquor store? Yes, that will probably happen.

turnpup
09-01-2015, 11:08 AM
Are there any liquor stores within Nichols Hills proper? I wonder if they have a city ordinance prohibiting them.

OKCretro
09-01-2015, 11:53 AM
Are there any liquor stores within Nichols Hills proper? I wonder if they have a city ordinance prohibiting them.

I think there is one on western in btw the shopping center of the learning tree and brown bag. Nh has some weird borders over there

Pete
09-30-2015, 09:31 PM
Just checked on this and TJ's is still on course to open in Tulsa by the end of the year.

While we wait in OKC, I can see plenty of road trips between this location and the Tulsa Costco. Beats the heck out of going to Dallas.

Celebrator
09-30-2015, 10:23 PM
Just checked on this and TJ's is still on course to open in Tulsa by the end of the year.

While we wait in OKC, I can see plenty of road trips between this location and the Tulsa Costco. Beats the heck out of going to Dallas.

What's the latest on the Tulsa Costco, btw?

BG918
09-30-2015, 10:40 PM
What's the latest on the Tulsa Costco, btw?

Under construction, supposed to open in late March or early April '16 according to this article http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/retail/costco-still-coming-to-tulsa----just-a/article_2bcb00be-fb12-5675-b19a-700ab948fd40.html

Swake
10-01-2015, 09:42 AM

The lights are one and they have shelves inside the store, but the parking lot is still dirt last time I was by there. They are pretty close.

Pete
10-01-2015, 09:45 AM
I'm sure they want to be open before Thanksgiving.

Swake
10-01-2015, 10:27 AM
I'm sure they do.

Costco looks way behind. They are still doing foundation work. Oddly however, they have the awning up with the big Costco sign on it for the gas station in what will be the parking lot.

Pete
10-01-2015, 12:19 PM
Once the foundation is done for Costco, they move very fast.

It's really just a huge warehouse and everything else falls into place pretty quickly.

zachj7
10-01-2015, 12:51 PM
Costco is just better in every respect IMO than Sams.

I have moved out of OKC to Indianapolis area where we have a few Costcos and Trader Joes, and it is so nice. I really hope OKC gets their Costco and Trader Joes soon. Thanks Pete for all the news and updates on this despite the lengthy process this is taking.

bchris02
10-01-2015, 01:01 PM
I am guessing Trader Joe's is still waiting for Glimcher to finalize their plans before making a formal announcement for OKC?

As for Costco, are they currently scouting OKC locations or are they holding off to see how Tulsa performs before entering the OKC market?

Pete
10-01-2015, 01:24 PM
Yes about TJ's as I've posted many times.

Don't think Costco is actively looking in OKC at this time.

Bunty
10-02-2015, 12:00 AM
I shop in TJ's weekly and almost never buy beer or wine there.

Their inventory is about 90% unique items you can't find anywhere else.

It's far and away my favorite retailer of any kind.
Then I gather TJ is a bigger and better Aldi.

Pete
10-02-2015, 05:45 AM
I've never seen the correlation with Aldi at all.