View Full Version : Best Flea Treatment

HVAC Instructor
12-10-2009, 11:36 AM
What do you guys use for fleas? We have been using Frontline for a while, but it has lost its effectiveness for fleas. Still works for ticks. Maybe the fleas built up a resistance to Frontline?

Anybody else had this problem with Frontline? What did you do about it?

flippity
12-10-2009, 01:20 PM
In my experience, Frontline works better than Advantage. I haven't tried advantix.

PennyQuilts
12-10-2009, 03:22 PM
I can't compare but have been happy with Frontline Plus.

HVAC Instructor
12-10-2009, 05:39 PM
Anybody having the problem with Frontline not working on fleas???

Worked for 2 years and then stopped. Any other products out there that work?

flippity
12-11-2009, 12:03 PM
no, i haven't had a problem with Frontline - it actually works better than Advantage IMO.

Midtowner
12-14-2009, 11:34 AM
We use Frontline Plus, but it sure is expensive.

HVAC Instructor
12-14-2009, 11:38 AM
We use Frontline Plus, but it sure is expensive.

So did we, but the fleas have developed a resistance to it.

circuitboard
12-16-2009, 11:46 AM
So did we, but the fleas have developed a resistance to it.

That sucks, I just got a kitty and was deciding on which one to get. Frontline is what I hear, or revoulution? But revoulution requires a prescription. This is probally a dumb question, my cat will be indoor only, but I still need flea protection right?

USG '60
12-16-2009, 12:42 PM
The best way to treat fleas is to give them a warm pet to live on. They will love you for it.

Midtowner
12-16-2009, 01:18 PM
We have three indoor cats, all with fleas. The house prior to us was occupied by two dogs and a cat... presumably all with fleas.

bandnerd
12-18-2009, 10:01 AM
Yes, circuit--you need indoor protection. Just because your cat may not go outside, doesn't mean that fleas can't get inside. They can grab on your clothes, shoes, etc. and it's hard to get rid of them once they are in!

Your cat may also be allergic to their bites, which is fairly common. Anchovy started losing hair and had horrible scabs the first time we got fleas in our apartment. Poor little guy.

circuitboard
12-18-2009, 12:21 PM
Yes, circuit--you need indoor protection. Just because your cat may not go outside, doesn't mean that fleas can't get inside. They can grab on your clothes, shoes, etc. and it's hard to get rid of them once they are in!

Your cat may also be allergic to their bites, which is fairly common. Anchovy started losing hair and had horrible scabs the first time we got fleas in our apartment. Poor little guy.

Thank you for that information. I will get some flea protection for him. I think he has frontline on him from the shelter so he should be fine for a couple weeks, but I need to get some for the future, i do not want fleas for sure.

HVAC Instructor
12-18-2009, 12:55 PM
That sucks, I just got a kitty and was deciding on which one to get. Frontline is what I hear, or revoulution? But revoulution requires a prescription. This is probally a dumb question, my cat will be indoor only, but I still need flea protection right?

The Frontline will probbaly be fine for insde kittys. We have a Golden Retriever and a Black Lab. They have to have room to run and play, so they go outside and fetch, and into any pond they can find, along with the occaisional trips to the dog park to socialize. Somewhere along the line thay picked up some badass resistant fleas that Frontline can't seem to control any longer. It still kills ticks though. We are constantly bathing the dogs now, as well as the cats. The cats don't appreciate baths for some reason. :doh:

circuitboard
12-18-2009, 02:17 PM
The Frontline will probbaly be fine for insde kittys. We have a Golden Retriever and a Black Lab. They have to have room to run and play, so they go outside and fetch, and into any pond they can find, along with the occaisional trips to the dog park to socialize. Somewhere along the line thay picked up some badass resistant fleas that Frontline can't seem to control any longer. It still kills ticks though. We are constantly bathing the dogs now, as well as the cats. The cats don't appreciate baths for some reason. :doh:

That’s no fun. Yeah I think frontline will work for my cat, I was little surprised how expensive some of this crap is, but oh well. Yeah my cat I think might like a bath, I have an oci mix, and oci cats are known to like and play with water from what I have been told.

Karried
12-21-2009, 07:13 AM
This year must be particulary bad. We adopted another Ferret and he must have brought fleas with him - ugh.

Trying to control these pesky things is proving to be a major undertaking! I've washed, vaccumed, powdered, bathed w flea soap and tried Sargeant's Gold for Kittens ( ferrets are smaller than cats) so I'm being very careful what I use on them.

Anyway, just make sure you don't get your drops mixed up. My mom accidently put Dog drops on her Cat and he had seizures and she had to take him to the Emergency vet.

PennyQuilts
12-21-2009, 07:17 AM
Oh Karried - I remember when you were nervous about getting a ferrett!! How funny. You will end up breeding them and being the biggest distributor in this area. :)

flippity
12-22-2009, 11:45 AM
here:

ACatDog.com - Home Page (http://www.acatdog.com/Factoids_of_Flea_Control.aspx)