View Full Version : Maps3 Timelines

Rixon75
12-09-2009, 12:55 PM
First of all, I've been a "lurker" for a while and really enjoy this site. Thanks to those you provide such great info.

Do you all know if the city has to wait until the penny tax starts in April to begin construction or can they start developing now?
Also, is there a site that shows the estimated timelines for each of the MAPS projects?

Thanks!!

purplemonkeythief
12-09-2009, 01:03 PM
First of all, I've been a "lurker" for a while and really enjoy this site. Thanks to those you provide such great info.

Do you all know if the city has to wait until the penny tax starts in April to begin construction or can they start developing now?
Also, is there a site that shows the estimated timelines for each of the MAPS projects?

Thanks!!

Not to start a fight with anyone on the forum, but there weren't any MAPS projects. Just a list of what might be worked on if MAPS3 passes.

rcjunkie
12-09-2009, 01:12 PM
Not to start a fight with anyone on the forum, but there weren't any MAPS projects. Just a list of what might be worked on if MAPS3 passes.

The election was over last night at 7:00 (actually it's was over before voting started), it's time to stop the BS

David
12-09-2009, 01:25 PM

On the contrary, it looks like starting a fight is exactly what you are trying to do.

king183
12-09-2009, 01:26 PM
I could be completely wrong, but I think I remember from another thread people saying there is no timeline and that construction starts when the money has been collected from the sales tax (or perhaps a set portion of the money has been collected). Even though there is no set timeline, the mayor said he wants the park opening to coincide with the opening of the new boulevard in 2014, so I imagine park construction will begin in 2012...or maybe before to coincide with the opening of the Devon Tower.

Remember, they also still have a lot of property to purchase and acquire, and that must be done before all the construction can begin.

purplemonkeythief
12-09-2009, 01:29 PM
The election was over last night at 7:00 (actually it's was over before voting started), it's time to stop the BS

I'm very sorry, but it isn't BS. Here's the complete text of the ballot:

ORDINANCE NO. 23,942.
AN ORDINANCE AMENDING THE OKLAHOMA CITY SALES TAX CODE,
CODIFIED AS ARTICLE II OF CHAPTER 52 OF THE OKLAHOMA CITY
MUNICIPAL CODE, 2007; ENACTING SECTION 52-23.4 OF SAID
ARTICLE H OF CHAPTER 52, WHICH LEVIES AN EXCISE TAX OF 1%
ON THE GROSS PROCEEDS OR GROSS RECEIPTS DERIVED FROM ALL
SALES TAXABLE UNDER THE SALES TAX LAWS OF THE STATE OF
OKLAHOMA; SPECIFYING THAT THE EXCISE TAX LEVIED BY SAID
SECTION 52-23.4 MAY BE EXPENDED ONLY FOR THE LIMITED
PURPOSE OF PROVIDING CITY CAPITAL IMPROVEMENTS;
PROVIDING A DEFINITION OF "CITY CAPITAL IMPROVEMENT;"
PROVIDING FOR CERTAIN EXPENDITURES; CREATING THE
OKLAHOMA CITY CAPITAL IMPROVEMENTS SALES TAX FUND;
PROVIDING A LIMITED TERM FOR THE EXCISE TAX, WITH SAID
LIMITED TERM COMMENCING AT 12:00 A.M. ON APRIL 1, 2010, AND
ENDING AT 12:00 A.M. ON JANUARY 1, 2018; PROVIDING FOR A
CITIZENS CAPITAL IMPROVEMENTS SALES TAX ADVISORY BOARD;
PROVIDING A DEFINITION OF "CITY" FOR THE PURPOSES OF
SUBSECTIONS (b), (c), AND (d) OF SECTION 52-23.4; PROVIDING
THAT THE EXCISE TAX LEVIED BY SECTION 52-23.4 SHALL BE
CUMULATIVE TO THE EXCISE TAXES LEVIED BY SECTIONS 52-20,
52-21 AND 52-22 OF THIS CODE; PROVIDING FOR CODIFICATION;
PROVIDING AN EFFECTIVE DATE FOR SECTIONS 1 AND 2 OF THIS
ORDINANCE; AND DECLARING AN EMERGENCY.

TStheThird
12-09-2009, 01:51 PM
Purple... you know what your trying to do. Your act is old and tired.

Everyone with half a brain that has been awake in OKC the past three months knows what projects Maps 3 will build. They know they will get built because of the City's track record of delivering on Maps projects.

Midtowner
12-09-2009, 01:57 PM
Yep.. the 'no' folks tried to peddle fear and paranoia. If it didn't work in your efforts to win at the ballot box, why on Earth do you think it'll work now? Y'all lost. Your ideas were not accepted by the majority of OKC residents. Get over it.

OKCMallen
12-09-2009, 02:02 PM

Don't be a jackass. Stop thread jacking. You were EXACTLY trying to pick a fight.

Mods?

purplemonkeythief
12-09-2009, 02:29 PM
So because it passed, I'm not allowed to have an opinion on anything? Or contribute to threads unless I toe the line and bury my head?

I'm sorry, but I didn't post anything flame-worthy. I simply stated that, in my opinion, there probably won't be a timeline since none of the proposed projects were actually on the ballot. I was accused of lying so I posted proof that I wasn't.

I didn't resort to name-calling, I didn't push any sort of anti-maps agenda(there wouldn't be much point in that), and I didn't accuse anyone of lying.

I'm so sorry that I tried to participate. I'm not sure what, exactly, is wrong with most of you people, but I've never seen a more hateful and vindictive crowd in my life.

SkyWestOKC
12-09-2009, 02:40 PM
Yep.. the 'no' folks tried to peddle fear and paranoia. If it didn't work in your efforts to win at the ballot box, why on Earth do you think it'll work now? Y'all lost. Your ideas were not accepted by the majority of OKC residents. Get over it.

Don't be a jackass. Stop thread jacking. You were EXACTLY trying to pick a fight.

Why do we have to resort to isolating and name calling those who don't agree with you? He stated what he knew. Let's stop the name calling, let's stop the political BS of "who won and who lost." Quite frankly, it doesn't matter what side of the aisle you are on, you should respect someone else's opinion and not attack them for it.

I don't think purplemonkeythief crossed any of the lines. If anything, the jack-ass comment crossed a line or two.

Now, back on topic.

rcjunkie
12-09-2009, 02:41 PM
:closed:

betts
12-09-2009, 02:54 PM
I believe that mayor, last night, said that the projects promised would be built. Or something of that nature. I do remember he specifically addressed that issue. Again, we're the taxpayers, and these are being built with our money. We have certain expectations, and I think the city knows they will have to fulfill those if they ever want another MAPS to pass. As to what will be built when, the only thing we've heard for certain is that the convention center will be one of the later projects, and the park will be one of the first. I wouldn't be shocked, with the US Olympic office opening, if we've got any sort of promise of possibly being the kayak training course, if it is built as one of the earlier projects.

gmwise
12-09-2009, 03:11 PM
Did anyone else saw how the for and against vote by parts and wards of the city?

Kerry
12-09-2009, 03:33 PM
This is from the ballot...

SPECIFYING THAT THE EXCISE TAX LEVIED BY SAID
SECTION 52-23.4 MAY BE EXPENDED ONLY FOR THE LIMITED
PURPOSE OF PROVIDING CITY CAPITAL IMPROVEMENTS;
PROVIDING A DEFINITION OF "CITY CAPITAL IMPROVEMENT;"

I don't know if this has already been defined, but if it hasn't yet, it soon will be.

Midtowner
12-09-2009, 04:04 PM
Why do we have to resort to isolating and name calling those who don't agree with you? He stated what he knew. Let's stop the name calling, let's stop the political BS of "who won and who lost." Quite frankly, it doesn't matter what side of the aisle you are on, you should respect someone else's opinion and not attack them for it.

How on Earth do you construe what I said as a political attack? Fact: The folks in his camp presented the voters with a set of ideas. Their ideas were rejected at the ballot box. Game over. Do not pass 'go.' Do not collect $200.

The "capital improvements" issue has been hashed over about umpteen million times. There is no agreement to be had. Whether it withstands constitutional scrutiny [Article 10, Section 19] has yet to be seen. Whether the issue concerns the voters has been decided conclusively. 54% of them were just fine with it and the remaining 46% have opinions that simply don't matter anymore in the grand scheme of things.

As far as the explanation of why the language is what it is, I once had my doubts as to the necessity of the language, but those doubts have been laid to rest. The statutes and the city charter both read the same as the constitutional provision which has already been interpreted to prohibit the legislature from doing something like MAPS I where there was an all or nothing ballot.

The only real question remaining is whether Article 10, Section 19 actually means what it says. And I'm sure someone will challenge this ballot measure and we'll all find out.

And that's all there is to say on the subject. It has been hashed over. To tell someone that their opinion is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things because their side lost is a statement of fact, not a personal attack.

-- But I'm sure your friend is glad you defended him on the internet. Kudos.

gmwise
12-09-2009, 04:29 PM
54% of them were just fine with it and the remaining 46% have opinions that simply don't matter anymore in the grand scheme of things.

Yes but we can rest assure 100% wants accountability and what we were promised to happen.

soonerguru
12-09-2009, 04:30 PM
So because it passed, I'm not allowed to have an opinion on anything? Or contribute to threads unless I toe the line and bury my head?

I'm sorry, but I didn't post anything flame-worthy. I simply stated that, in my opinion, there probably won't be a timeline since none of the proposed projects were actually on the ballot. I was accused of lying so I posted proof that I wasn't.

I didn't resort to name-calling, I didn't push any sort of anti-maps agenda(there wouldn't be much point in that), and I didn't accuse anyone of lying.

I'm so sorry that I tried to participate. I'm not sure what, exactly, is wrong with most of you people, but I've never seen a more hateful and vindictive crowd in my life.

Martyr, victim, put upon. Life is so tough living in a city where the citizens vote for progressive change. Maybe Bismarck, ND is more your style, although I've heard it's even colder there this time a year.

gmwise
12-09-2009, 04:34 PM
Martyr, victim, put upon. Life is so tough living in a city where the citizens vote for progressive change. Maybe Bismarck, ND is more your style, although I've heard it's even colder there this time a year.

brrrr..

Midtowner
12-09-2009, 04:41 PM
Yes but we can rest assure 100% wants accountability and what we were promised to happen.

We have the ballot box. That's the accountability.

gmwise
12-09-2009, 04:44 PM
We have the ballot box. That's the accountability.

You mean there isnt going to be any oversight?
If not, what this about Citizens Board?

Urban Pioneer
12-09-2009, 05:01 PM
12/09/09

Resumes being accepted for MAPS 3 Citizens Advisory Board

Mayor Cornett and members of the City Council are accepting resumes for Oklahoma City residents interested in serving on the MAPS 3 Citizens Advisory Board.

Board members will be responsible for reviewing proposed projects and submitting recommendations to City Council.

The board’s structure will be determined by Mayor Cornett and Council members in the coming weeks and established through a Council resolution.

Resumes should be limited to two pages and e-mailed to maps3@okc.gov. Applicants are asked to type “MAPS 3 Citizens Advisory Board” in the subject line, paste their resume into the body of the e-mail and include their home address on the resume. Attachments will not be opened.

Midtowner
12-09-2009, 06:18 PM
You mean there isnt going to be any oversight?
If not, what this about Citizens Board?

You mean a committee with no power of subpoena and no coercive power?

bornhere
12-09-2009, 06:21 PM
The key word there is 'Advisory.'

RedDirt717
12-09-2009, 06:26 PM

Just like the first MAPS.

rcjunkie
12-09-2009, 06:34 PM
Some people just don't have the mental capacity to accept defeat.

jbrown84
12-09-2009, 06:42 PM
Anyone planning to apply for the Advisory Board? I think we have some great candidates here, particularly Doug and Betts.

betts
12-09-2009, 06:52 PM
I'm thinking about it. I just e-mailed my secretary for my resume. I probably haven't updated it in ten years, and am not there's anything on it that makes me look qualified. I might be too opinionated. So, we'll see.

jbrown84
12-09-2009, 07:17 PM
and am not there's anything on it that makes me look qualified.

I doubt any "regular citizens" have any specific credentials, so I doubt that's what they're looking for. I would imagine you could include a few paragraphs about yourself and what you're passionate about.

I'm pleasantly surprised their seeking out applications rather than just giving it to people like Kirk Humphreys, which is kind of what I expected.

gmwise
12-09-2009, 09:50 PM
I'm sure there will be a "unknown or unqualified" token among the Chamber and other interests.

jbrown84
12-09-2009, 11:04 PM
News9's report said there will be 1 member selected from each district by the council members, and one "at large" member. This should ensure that all areas of the city receive a portion of the sidewalks, trails and aquatic centers.

rcjunkie
12-10-2009, 05:06 AM
I live just North of Earlywine Park, I want my sidealk and I want it now. Of course I'm kidding--I have sidewalks in my neighborhood and I have the luxury of living next to a nice park, golf course, ymca, a short walk/jog to S. Lakes Park.

I voted Yes on all of the MAPS programs, a few years back, I voted yes on the dedicated sales tax for Police and Fire, now we need a dedicated sales tax for the OKC Parks and Recreation Department.

jbrown84
12-10-2009, 11:00 AM
now we need a dedicated sales tax for the OKC Parks and Recreation Department.

:congrats: