View Full Version : Streetcar

Paseofreak
01-27-2015, 07:14 PM
No fixing that kind of stupid.

David
01-27-2015, 08:43 PM
Does he also believe that the free market should maintain the roads? That's really the only way you can hold that sort of opinion and consistent internal logic.

BrettM2
01-27-2015, 08:57 PM
Does he also believe that the free market should maintain the roads? That's really the only way you can hold that sort of opinion and consistent internal logic.

You use the word logic like it applies to folks like him.

Paseofreak
01-27-2015, 09:03 PM
Well, of course, the free market should take care of that Central Park too!

David
01-28-2015, 09:20 AM

Argh, have consistent internal logic.

Zuplar
01-28-2015, 03:07 PM
What you see as "flexibility," is seen as developers as a temporary asset. It lacks physical impact, which OKC needs.

Impact is a more difficult thing to describe, but it requires vision. The streetcar isn't about one thing, but it's bridging our assets in a visible way that is as much about community and economic development as it is transit. It's the highest form of mass transit, and it elevates the service level in the entire system if planned right.

The key with OKC's transit future is to keep doing as much as we can at every moment. Right now we are doing that, because we are upgrading bus service, and also have this capital funding for a building project. Capital funding is not operations funding. The next step is to figure out rail operations funding and then to expand the rail into neighborhoods with other bus connections. Then just consolidate the service map into a core-area grid, with a few key arteries on the edge like NW Expwy and I-240 running at 15-20 minute intervals.

All of a sudden, you have a decently functioning transit network. Then add the commuter rail that ACOG is working on, and a MAPS 4 TRANSIT initiative. All of a sudden, OKC is in business as a great transit town. That's a vision that is attainable and currently underway. We should support it. The entire vision is vitally important, not just any one piece of it at the expense of another.

I just see it all as a big hassle for those of us that go downtown that drive, which is most everyone in Oklahoma. What that makes me envision is less parking, or the need to drive to a station, to get on some sort of public transportation to get to downtown because there is little to no parking downtown. That would keep me from going downtown. I'm not going to drive my car to a bus stop/street car stop, pay money for parking, then pay to get on the transit, just to get downtown. I'm going to go elsewhere. At this point there isn't much downtown that isn't elsewhere, accept for the Thunder and OKC Dodgers. Where I live now I'm never going to be able to be without a car, and I'm fine with that. I feel like too much focus on public transit and not a balanced approach, is just going to push many people away.

BrettM2
01-28-2015, 03:16 PM
I just see it all as a big hassle for those of us that go downtown that drive, which is most everyone in Oklahoma. What that makes me envision is less parking, or the need to drive to a station, to get on some sort of public transportation to get to downtown because there is little to no parking downtown. That would keep me from going downtown. I'm not going to drive my car to a bus stop/street car stop, pay money for parking, then pay to get on the transit, just to get downtown. I'm going to go elsewhere. At this point there isn't much downtown that isn't elsewhere, accept for the Thunder and OKC Dodgers. Where I live now I'm never going to be able to be without a car, and I'm fine with that. I feel like too much focus on public transit and not a balanced approach, is just going to push many people away.

We are getting at least three new parking garages, with Pete saying one more is a possibility just west of the Clayco development and one potentially south in the Core to Shore area. I think parking will be ok with that influx of spaces. By adding the streetcar, they are actually offering more of a balanced approach. I'm looking forward to driving in, parking, taking the streetcar to Midtown, back down for a Thunder game, and who knows after. It'll make the entire area much more accessible.

Zuplar
01-28-2015, 03:20 PM
We are getting at least three new parking garages, with Pete saying one more is a possibility just west of the Clayco development and one potentially south in the Core to Shore area. I think parking will be ok with that influx of spaces. By adding the streetcar, they are actually offering more of a balanced approach. I'm looking forward to driving in, parking, taking the streetcar to Midtown, back down for a Thunder game, and who knows after. It'll make the entire area much more accessible.

I sure hope so. My big thing is I don't want people to forget what we are. It's great to have options, but to shove a one-sided approach down our throats is another. What you describe isn't bad. What I have in my mind would be something like me driving to a parking lot at 240 and May and then it taking another 25 minutes to get downtown with all the stops along the way. That's ridiculous, but I couldn't tell you how many times that's what it's felt like in other major cities that have more public transportation options.

Anonymous.
01-28-2015, 03:29 PM
You are talking about a 'park and ride' lightrail. This is a streetcar, totally different ballgame.

Also claiming that downtown has nothing to offer that anywhere else does is a poor attempt at taking a shot @ downtown. Not even worth arguing.

Zuplar
01-28-2015, 07:55 PM
You are talking about a 'park and ride' lightrail. This is a streetcar, totally different ballgame.

Also claiming that downtown has nothing to offer that anywhere else does is a poor attempt at taking a shot @ downtown. Not even worth arguing.

If it does I'm drawing a blank. There are hotels, eateries, etc but those can be found anywhere. I'm just saying in my personal experience. I don't go downtown for anything other than bass pro, the thunder and the redhawks/Dodgers. Granted when I'm down there for those I usually do other things. So if it came down to being an utter pain to get down there, I personally wouldn't miss much. And fwiw most everyone I hang out with feels the same and we all technically live in OKC.

Different strokes for different folks.

ljbab728
01-28-2015, 08:21 PM
If it does I'm drawing a blank. There are hotels, eateries, etc but those can be found anywhere. I'm just saying in my personal experience. I don't go downtown for anything other than bass pro, the thunder and the redhawks/Dodgers. Granted when I'm down there for those I usually do other things. So if it came down to being an utter pain to get down there, I personally wouldn't miss much. And fwiw most everyone I hang out with feels the same and we all technically live in OKC.

Obviously you are not a fan of theater or performing arts. Those are my main reasons for numerous trips downtown since I don't work near there and don't attend the sports events. I'm normally there at least once or twice a month for something like that.

Zuplar
01-28-2015, 08:45 PM
Obviously you are not a fan of theater or performing arts. Those are my main reasons for numerous trips downtown since I don't work near there and don't attend the sports events. I'm normally there at least once or twice a month for something like that.

No I'm really not. If anything I go to the Jazz lab at uco in Edmond.

hoya
01-28-2015, 08:56 PM

"Balanced" approach? Good god, man. There's virtually zero useful public transportation currently. We've got a half-dead bus system and that's it. The streetcar is the first new proposal that is actually going to be built or receive any funding. You're right it's not balanced, but that's because everything is so heavily in favor of the automobile in this city, not because we're dumping billions into public transportation.

Just the facts
01-28-2015, 09:00 PM
3 miles of I-40 cost $600 million. We are a long way from balanced.

ljbab728
01-28-2015, 09:02 PM
No I'm really not. If anything I go to the Jazz lab at uco in Edmond.

OK, you were drawing a blank on reasons to go downtown so I was filling in that blank a little. :)

hoya
01-28-2015, 09:22 PM
Zuplar, I mean no offense by this, because you're a good poster and downtown is for everyone in the city to enjoy, but if your hoped-for vision of downtown is that in 20 years you'll be able to drive down there in no traffic and park in the Bass Pro Shop parking lot for free like you can today, then I hope your vision never comes true.

The streetcar that is currently funded and about to be built will look like this:

http://blogforarizona.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Sunlinkcongress.jpg

You'll be able to park at Bass Pro, or whatever your chosen location is, and ride the streetcar all over downtown. Want to see a Thunder game, then go to Midtown to eat at a new restaurant, then go to Automobile Alley to shop at some of their cool unique stores, then back to Bricktown to try one of their cigar bars? Take the streetcar. You can travel several miles through downtown and never have to get back in your car or look for a parking space. Just leave it parked where it is. The biggest advantage to the streetcar is that developers know where the tracks are, they know they aren't moving tomorrow. This raises property values along the streetcar line and encourages developers to build more stuff. If I put a restaurant 50 feet from a streetcar stop, I know that I'll have people going by regularly.

You're thinking of light rail, which (hopefully) will get built at some point in the future.

If downtown ever gets to the point where you have to park out by the fairgrounds and then take the train into Bricktown, then that's going to mean there is a LOT of stuff to do there. The number of people there, and the number of things to do, will be so great that it will be almost unrecognizable compared to how it is today. Now it may not be a place for you -- my dad moved out to the boonies as soon as he retired and I think I can probably count the number of times he's ever been downtown on one hand. You might be like him. But the fact is, the more we get good urban development, the better our downtown will be, and the better our city will be.

It would take 50 years of solid growth, with massive public transportation spending, to turn OKC into some parking-free urbanist dream. That's not going to happen. People in OKC, for the foreseeable future anyway, will use cars, a lot. But you are right, we do need balance. The streetcar is the very first step.

no1cub17
01-28-2015, 09:29 PM
I sure hope so. My big thing is I don't want people to forget what we are. It's great to have options, but to shove a one-sided approach down our throats is another. What you describe isn't bad. What I have in my mind would be something like me driving to a parking lot at 240 and May and then it taking another 25 minutes to get downtown with all the stops along the way. That's ridiculous, but I couldn't tell you how many times that's what it's felt like in other major cities that have more public transportation options.

It's not ridiculous at all. That's how life is in urban places like Chicago, New York, Philadelphia, etc. The fact that we're even having this discussion on an OKC board is in some ways mind-boggling. Public transit was unthinkable here for the past million years, but in just a few years it'll be a reality.

And it'll also be a reality that vibrant, lively downtowns will be difficult to park in. Try parking in Wrigleyville on a summer day, or center city Philly on any day. Parking is a chore. It's crowded, garages are full and/or expensive, and then you'll forget where you parked. But that's exactly the point.

betts
01-28-2015, 09:42 PM
But the red line stops right at Wrigley so who wants to drive anyway?

Zuplar
01-29-2015, 07:46 AM
Zuplar, I mean no offense by this, because you're a good poster and downtown is for everyone in the city to enjoy, but if your hoped-for vision of downtown is that in 20 years you'll be able to drive down there in no traffic and park in the Bass Pro Shop parking lot for free like you can today, then I hope your vision never comes true.

The streetcar that is currently funded and about to be built will look like this:

http://blogforarizona.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Sunlinkcongress.jpg

You'll be able to park at Bass Pro, or whatever your chosen location is, and ride the streetcar all over downtown. Want to see a Thunder game, then go to Midtown to eat at a new restaurant, then go to Automobile Alley to shop at some of their cool unique stores, then back to Bricktown to try one of their cigar bars? Take the streetcar. You can travel several miles through downtown and never have to get back in your car or look for a parking space. Just leave it parked where it is. The biggest advantage to the streetcar is that developers know where the tracks are, they know they aren't moving tomorrow. This raises property values along the streetcar line and encourages developers to build more stuff. If I put a restaurant 50 feet from a streetcar stop, I know that I'll have people going by regularly.

You're thinking of light rail, which (hopefully) will get built at some point in the future.

If downtown ever gets to the point where you have to park out by the fairgrounds and then take the train into Bricktown, then that's going to mean there is a LOT of stuff to do there. The number of people there, and the number of things to do, will be so great that it will be almost unrecognizable compared to how it is today. Now it may not be a place for you -- my dad moved out to the boonies as soon as he retired and I think I can probably count the number of times he's ever been downtown on one hand. You might be like him. But the fact is, the more we get good urban development, the better our downtown will be, and the better our city will be.

It would take 50 years of solid growth, with massive public transportation spending, to turn OKC into some parking-free urbanist dream. That's not going to happen. People in OKC, for the foreseeable future anyway, will use cars, a lot. But you are right, we do need balance. The streetcar is the very first step.

FWIW I'm never offended by a well thought out response, that is as long as it's not directly bashing me :). Over the years I've really enjoyed the small town feel of downtown. Granted I enjoy some of the big city amenities, to me density just creates more headaches than it's worth. I get that it's more efficient, makes tons of sense, but to me it makes things less enjoyable. I've been to DC, NYC, and Chicago over the years. DC is the only town of those 3 I like, and my reason for it is because to some degree it's more spread out. Granted it's still someplace I could never live, but it is a place I wouldn't mind going once every 10 years. It's that that makes me fear that the closer OKC get's to that the less and less I'll go. People like my parents already hardly go because of parking. As soon as they have to take any sort of public transit to get where they need to go, well I can tell you right now they won't ever go downtown again, unless they know for a fact they can park in front of the location. People like my parents have never ridden on a subway, and there is a lot of people out there like them. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

betts
01-29-2015, 08:19 AM
Age is no impediment to an adventurous spirit. There are already a fair number of empty nesters and older who live downtown. Some lived most of their lives in small towns and are renting downtown because of all the activities available. Don't sell your parents or other people's parents short. My mother at 85 was riding a bicycle to the grocery store because she thought it was more enjoyable than driving. I predict the streetcar will be a big inducement to come downtown, as it will make getting around far simpler for people who can't walk long distances, who are afraid they'll get lost (as silly as that sounds, for some it's a real fear), for those with handicaps. And it's fun to ride and sightsee.

I believe the streetcar will change the face of the city more than any other MAPS project, and in a good way.

AP
01-29-2015, 08:22 AM
I was writing out a response similar to betts, but I think she covered it pretty well.

Just the facts
01-29-2015, 08:26 AM
I've been to DC, NYC, and Chicago over the years. DC is the only town of those 3 I like, and my reason for it is because to some degree it's more spread out.

You know what is kind of funny is that myself and the other Urbanist (both old and new) are striving for the low and mid-rise towers and density that is along the lines of DC, while the suburbanites that just want something cool to look at from 10 miles away are striving for the NYC and Chicago style. Just look at the discussions around 499 Sheridan, Clayco, and Devon Tower. We for the most part want street interaction and ornamental architecture and they (you can decide who 'they' are) want height, glass, and neon lights.

Zuplar
01-29-2015, 08:26 AM
Age is no impediment to an adventurous spirit. There are already a fair number of empty nesters and older who live downtown. Some lived most of their lives in small towns and are renting downtown because of all the activities available. Don't sell your parents or other people's parents short. My mother at 85 was riding a bicycle to the grocery store because she thought it was more enjoyable than driving. I predict the streetcar will be a big inducement to come downtown, as it will make getting around far simpler for people who can't walk long distances, who are afraid they'll get lost (as silly as that sounds, for some it's a real fear), for those with handicaps. And it's fun to ride and sightsee.

I believe the streetcar will change the face of the city more than any other MAPS project, and in a good way.

I'm not selling them short. They legitimately don't go down there anymore cause of how much busier it is. When I talked about my recent DC trip and they asked how I got around I told them the Metro, and showed pictures. Their comment, they could never go there because getting around looks like a nightmare. They aren't people who try things, and most of their friends are the same way.

I honestly imagine lots of people who grew up in the OKC suburbs are like this, and I say that because that is my experience. When I talk about the places I've been they all oh and awe, because they are terrified that they wouldn't be able to navigate such a place, because public transit is so foreign to them or they think only poor people ride buses. That may sound harsh, but realistically, that's a very common thought. It's going to take years maybe decades to reverse that trend IMO. I'd honestly bet that it's going to take until the current generation is old until it's thought of as normal around these neck of the woods.

Zuplar
01-29-2015, 08:30 AM
You know what is kind of funny is that myself and the other Urbanist (both old and new) are striving for the low and mid-rise towers and density that is along the lines of DC, while the suburbanites that just want something cool to look at from 10 miles away are striving for the NYC and Chicago style. Just look at the discussions around 499 Sheridan, Clayco, and Devon Tower. We for the most part want street interaction and ornamental architecture and they (you can decide who 'they' are) want height, glass, and neon lights.

I don't spend a lot of time in those threads, cause frankly, I'm never going to live downtown. With that being said I'm definitely not one that just cares about shiny and tall things. I'd much rather see downtown built more like DC, it just doesn't seem like that's how it's being built, it all seems to be concentrated in a very small area. The streetcar is also something DC doesn't have, I'd be much more on board with a true subway system.

Pete
01-29-2015, 08:31 AM

The streetcar in combination with a full-service grocery (rumored to be planned on or near the Bleu Garten site) would make downtown a fantastic place for older people.

Where else in OKC can you take reliable public transportation to and from a store that serves almost all your needs?

The streetcar route will also go very near the YMCA (actually, three of them), St. Anthony and related medical offices, the library, museums, etc.

Truly urbanized areas are the best possible place for an aging population and we've got the massive baby boomer generation headed to retirement over the next couple of decades.

It's funny how everyone talks about younger people when it comes to the urban core but in many ways the area is far better suited to older generations.

Urban Pioneer
01-29-2015, 08:34 AM
So true.

Just the facts
01-29-2015, 09:41 AM
I don't spend a lot of time in those threads, cause frankly, I'm never going to live downtown. With that being said I'm definitely not one that just cares about shiny and tall things. I'd much rather see downtown built more like DC, it just doesn't seem like that's how it's being built, it all seems to be concentrated in a very small area. The streetcar is also something DC doesn't have, I'd be much more on board with a true subway system.

You sound like the target market for the Wheeler District (minus the mass-transit preference of course). Also, you are not the only one dismayed by how downtown (CBD) is being developed.

Zuplar
01-29-2015, 10:05 AM
You sound like the target market for the Wheeler District (minus the mass-transit preference of course). Also, you are not the only one dismayed by how downtown (CBD) is being developed.

Problem is I work in the suburbs, so living anywhere even remotely close to downtown would never ever work. I know I've received flak on this before, but that area just isn't an area of town I associate with being a desirable place to live. A lot of that outlook has to do with the where and the way I was raised I'm sure.

hoya
01-29-2015, 11:08 AM
I'm not selling them short. They legitimately don't go down there anymore cause of how much busier it is. When I talked about my recent DC trip and they asked how I got around I told them the Metro, and showed pictures. Their comment, they could never go there because getting around looks like a nightmare. They aren't people who try things, and most of their friends are the same way.

I honestly imagine lots of people who grew up in the OKC suburbs are like this, and I say that because that is my experience. When I talk about the places I've been they all oh and awe, because they are terrified that they wouldn't be able to navigate such a place, because public transit is so foreign to them or they think only poor people ride buses. That may sound harsh, but realistically, that's a very common thought. It's going to take years maybe decades to reverse that trend IMO. I'd honestly bet that it's going to take until the current generation is old until it's thought of as normal around these neck of the woods.

Well, part of that reluctance has to do with jumping into an unfamiliar city with a fully developed system that they've never used before. OKC isn't going to suddenly have something as complex and far-reaching as the DC Metro. I think for the first year or two, the streetcar downtown will be more like a carnival ride. People will get on it and ride it just to say they got on it and rode it. A lot of people will be very curious and will want to try it out, even if they have nowhere to go.

The fact that it basically follows a loop means it will be nearly impossible to get lost. If you miss your stop, just stay on it longer and it will come back to where you were supposed to be in like 20 minutes. I don't know your parents, but I'd guess if you rode it with them two or three times, they'd become a lot more comfortable with it and may enjoy it. New and scary things often just need the right introduction to become safe and familiar things.

At the end of the day, nobody has to ride the streetcar if they don't want to. There will always be parking spaces downtown. And there will always be people who don't want what downtown has to offer. Not every person has to be in love with the idea of living in Deep Deuce and going without a car. Right now we've got downtown housing for about 1% of our population. Even fairly conservative estimates show that about 10% of the population would like that type of lifestyle. Will everyone in OKC want it? Of course not. But we don't need everybody to want it.

OKCinsomniac
01-29-2015, 10:14 PM
I honestly imagine lots of people who grew up in the OKC suburbs are like this, and I say that because that is my experience.

Well, I grew up in the suburbs. I've lived there and worked there, and lived there and worked downtown. Now I both live and work downtown. My only regret is that I didn't take the "plunge" into a more urban situation sooner. I don't want to live or work anywhere else as long as I'm in OKC. I'm down to using my car maybe once or twice a week. With the advent of the streetcar it will be even less. And I love it. And frankly, 90% of my friends, most from a similar suburban upbringing, would feel the same way. We must run in different circles. I'm not trying to start an argument, but where is all the demand for urban living coming from? It's not just people from other cities used to living downtown somewhere, it's also from people sick of mowing their yard or wanting a greater sense of community or maybe just tired of the general level of excitement that is life in a generic subdivision someplace. I'm sorry, but I'm just not buying that people from the 'burbs are somehow conditioned or destined to keep on living there no matter what. For a lot of people, living downtown actually makes daily life easier -- and, to stay on topic, the streetcar will only increase this advantage.

HOT ROD
01-30-2015, 02:01 AM
its different strokes for different folks. But the key is OKC needs to offer living standard for everyone; including those who want the urban/downtown experience. For far too long OKC focused ONLY on the Suburban and Rural experience (as Family Focused) and NOT on the urban experience - relegating the inner city to the ghetto and "crime".

Again, a healthy city cators to all (or at least most) demographics and it's nice that OKC is getting this message and both crowds can be happy.

OKCinsomniac
01-30-2015, 08:43 AM
Agreed.

Spartan
02-02-2015, 06:02 PM
He has said that he believes that he believe that the City should not provide Public Transportation of any type and that the free market should resolve public transportation needs.

This is a view that I would say a third of people in OKC may potentially believe. They point to privately-operated transit before WWII as an example.

It is baffling how in a city that was far more affected by the urban renewal era than most others (mainly for lack of earlier history to counteract the urban renewal era), we are still oblivious to what it did to us, how we did that, and what we do about it moving forward. We are still practicing 1970s-style urban renewal redevelopment and subject to 1970s-era views on city building.

And it has hurt us more than most other cities.

Urban Pioneer
02-02-2015, 07:42 PM
A New Way to Travel in Oklahoma City | KOSU (http://kosu.org/post/new-way-travel-oklahoma-city)

TheTravellers
02-04-2015, 01:53 PM
A New Way to Travel in Oklahoma City | KOSU (http://kosu.org/post/new-way-travel-oklahoma-city)

It's a shame their blog hasn't been updated since mid-October, was interesting reading.

CarlessInOKC
02-04-2015, 04:58 PM
Funny you should say that... Carless in OKC: What Does Carlessness Really Look Like in OKC? (http://carlessinokc.blogspot.com/2015/01/what-does-carlessness-really-look-like.html)

Edit: I apologize if this post is inappropriate for this thread - got a little bit excited!

Zuplar
02-05-2015, 09:34 AM
I was watching Top Gear last night, I think it was the episode from a week or so back where they were in St Petersburg. They did another race with different modes of transportation, car, hovercraft, bike, and public transportation. One thing I noticed is they had a trolley system (looked similar to this streetcar). Near the beginning Richard (who was riding the bike), goes to change lanes and had a pretty decent crash, all caused by the trolley tracks. He had been griping about them earlier how they make biking so much more difficult. As well as James had been complaining about the trolley causing congestion because cars also drive in the trolley lane. This got me thinking about this thread, and I wondered for comparison, how much will our trolley affect bikers. Will they have a separate lane? Will cars also be able to drive just like another lane? Just thought it was interesting.

FWIW, spoiler to those that will watch, but public transit came in dead last this time. Had Richard not crashed he most likely would have came in first.

LakeEffect
02-05-2015, 10:38 AM
I was watching Top Gear last night, I think it was the episode from a week or so back where they were in St Petersburg. They did another race with different modes of transportation, car, hovercraft, bike, and public transportation. One thing I noticed is they had a trolley system (looked similar to this streetcar). Near the beginning Richard (who was riding the bike), goes to change lanes and had a pretty decent crash, all caused by the trolley tracks. He had been griping about them earlier how they make biking so much more difficult. As well as James had been complaining about the trolley causing congestion because cars also drive in the trolley lane. This got me thinking about this thread, and I wondered for comparison, how much will our trolley affect bikers. Will they have a separate lane? Will cars also be able to drive just like another lane? Just thought it was interesting.

FWIW, spoiler to those that will watch, but public transit came in dead last this time. Had Richard not crashed he most likely would have came in first.

I love Top Gear for the entertainment value, but they often hedge against anything other than auto. I think High Speed Rail has won, or nearly won, a couple times in their races.

That out of the way, if streetcar (trolley, if you must - I won't) works so well in Amsterdam with its numerous bikes, it won't be a big issue here. The key is make sure that the majority of cross-rail traffic occurs when the cyclist is 90 degrees to the track. Then it's just a slight bump...

Zuplar
02-05-2015, 10:45 AM
I love Top Gear for the entertainment value, but they often hedge against anything other than auto. I think High Speed Rail has won, or nearly won, a couple times in their races.

That out of the way, if streetcar (trolley, if you must - I won't) works so well in Amsterdam with its numerous bikes, it won't be a big issue here. The key is make sure that the majority of cross-rail traffic occurs when the cyclist is 90 degrees to the track. Then it's just a slight bump...

Yeah I imagine approaching it mostly straight on is a non-issue. What they were referencing was changing lanes essentially, back and forth while being parallel to it. I can see that has definitely being challenging.

Urban Pioneer
02-05-2015, 03:29 PM
Here is the answer to those questions about bike safety. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIRQaNdeS1s

Zuplar
02-06-2015, 07:38 AM
Here is the answer to those questions about bike safety. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIRQaNdeS1s

Wow, that looks like a nightmare. Basically it said approach as straight on as possible, or find a different route. If OKC ever implements those bike boxes I can see drivers around here having no idea what they are. You basically would have to reprogram a population to get it used properly. And then the whole thing where the rails swerve in and out of different lanes, so cars follow the rails instead of the lane to avoid driving over the rails, will absolutely happen. That's something I hadn't really thought of. I was starting to come around to thinking maybe it wouldn't be so bad, but everything they were addressing in that video basically reaffirms what I was thinking.

AP
02-06-2015, 07:41 AM
I really think when you see it in action or are around it, it will only be a problem if you want it to be a problem.

Zuplar
02-06-2015, 08:37 AM
I really think when you see it in action or are around it, it will only be a problem if you want it to be a problem.

I sure hope so.

AP
02-06-2015, 09:12 AM
I sure hope so.

I didn't mean for that to come off as a dig at you, btw. I just think the problems that people complain about are greatly exaggerated because they really want to have some about the streetcar to complain about, if that makes sense.

Zuplar
02-06-2015, 01:50 PM
I didn't mean for that to come off as a dig at you, btw. I just think the problems that people complain about are greatly exaggerated because they really want to have some about the streetcar to complain about, if that makes sense.

I didn't take it as a dig, over the years I've grown a thick skin on what people may or may not imply when writing on the internet.

I think in general it's good to bring up opposing views, as long as it doesn't get nasty. I know when I get excited about a project sometimes I overlook things that can be a problem. And while I'm not big on the whole trolley thing, I like to present the opposing view because I feel like I've learned a lot from what people have posted in response.

betts
02-06-2015, 04:14 PM
If we were building the first streetcar, perhaps I'd be a bit more concerned. But, the incredibly bike friendly cities of Seattle and Portland have reasonably big streetcar systems and I've heard very little complaining about the streetcar and bike interaction there. My husband was skeptical of the streetcar initially, and mass transit in general, but he's skiied in Utah the past several winters and comes home talking up the SLC system. If we're lucky, the streetcar and any other mass transit we fund may reduce driving in the CBD. That would suit me just fine. I'm tired of getting yelled at by drivers for crossing the street on a green light when they want to turn right on red. It's actually amazing how little I drive my car these days. I've had my car for almost 3 years and have 20,000 miles on it, most of which I generated driving to Nebraska to see my mother and to Dallas to visit a friend. Walking is such a pleasurable thing to do on a nice day, and Oklahoma actually has a fair number of really nice days.

ljbab728
02-08-2015, 10:49 PM

Here is another example of what I was saying in my last response to you. I was downtown Saturday night for a play at the City Space Theater in the basement of the Civic Center. There was also a play that night in the Freede Theater in the same building, a symphony concert in the main hall, and some kind of event with a band playing in the Hall of Mirrors. The Reduxion Theater also had a play going on at their theater in Automobile Alley. Sporting events are only part of the equation in why people are drawn to downtown.

Zuplar
02-08-2015, 11:50 PM
Here is another example of what I was saying in my last response to you. I was downtown Saturday night for a play at the City Space Theater in the basement of the Civic Center. There was also a play that night in the Freede Theater in the same building, a symphony concert in the main hall, and some kind of event with a band playing in the Hall of Mirrors. The Reduxion Theater also had a play going on at their theater in Automobile Alley. Sporting events are only part of the equation in why people are drawn to downtown.

It seems quite apparent we have different tastes as well as the group we hang out with. Looking back the past few years the only reasons I have gone downtown are Thunder games (season ticket holder), Redhawks games, Bass Pro shop, bachelor party, and went to a few restaurants that arent anywhere else. Granted the restaurants were steak places we simply ate at for something different, if it really wasn't for sports I wouldn't go do there, and I know most of my friends go down there even less because they aren't season ticket holders. I tend to hang out with like minded people and most of us (as in my group of friends) aren't big on crowds. So in my circle of life I still contend downtown doesn't really offer anything exclusive besides sports that we'd (friends again) miss out on.

ljbab728
02-09-2015, 12:00 AM
It seems quite apparent we have different tastes as well as the group we hang out with. Looking back the past few years the only reasons I have gone downtown are Thunder games (season ticket holder), Redhawks games, Bass Pro shop, bachelor party, and went to a few restaurants that arent anywhere else. Granted the restaurants were steak places we simply ate at for something different, if it really wasn't for sports I wouldn't go do there, and I know most of my friends go down there even less because they aren't season ticket holders. I tend to hang out with like minded people and most of us (as in my group of friends) aren't big on crowds. So in my circle of life I still contend downtown doesn't really offer anything exclusive besides sports that we'd (friends again) miss out on.

I understand that. I just wanted you to understand that there are a large number of people who have a very different perspective. Obviously that doesn't include you and your sports minded friends. Probably the majority of the people attending arts oriented events wouldn't be interested in your sports activities. (I enjoy both) You may speak for you and your circle of friends but that means little in the overall context of what downtown offers for it's citizens.

betts
02-09-2015, 05:30 AM
Bricktown is absolutely packed on nice days and even, surprisingly, on most weekend days that aren't so nice.While Midtown doesn't get the foot traffic that Bricktown does, you'd better not assume you can just walk into a restaurant there on weekends. Went by Bleu Garten yesterday and it was jammed. Saturday night we drove (husband has orthopedic injury so walking was out) to see some of the Oscar nominated shorts at the Art Museum and had to park so far away we almost might have walked. The theatre we were in had a lot of people. Friends of mine who a few years ago would never have gone downtown to dine or hang out are choosing it over other entertainment options. Myself, I rarely leave the downtown area except to hang out with friends at Starbucks in Nichols Hillsor shop at Classen Curve occasionally or . I've got everything I need within a mile or two. And there are more people like me all the time. I think the streetcar is going to be a hit.

betts
02-09-2015, 05:33 AM
Bricktown is absolutely packed on nice days and even, surprisingly, on most nice days. While Midtown doesn't get the foot traffic that Bricktown does, you'd better not assume you can just walk into a restaurant there on weekends. Went by Bleu Garten yesterday and it was jammed. Saturday night we drove (husband has orthopedic injury so walking was out) to see some of the Oscar nominated shorts at the Art Museum and had to park so far away we almost might have walked. The theatre we were in had a lot of people. Friends of mine who a few years ago would never have gone downtown to dine or hang out are choosing it over other entertainment options. Myself, I rarely leave the downtown area except to hang out with friends at Starbucks in Nichols Hills or shop at Classen Curve occasionally. I've got everything I need within a mile or two. And there are more people like me all the time. I think the streetcar is going to be a hit.

Zuplar
02-09-2015, 07:26 AM
I understand that. I just wanted you to understand that there are a large number of people who have a very different perspective. Obviously that doesn't include you and your sports minded friends. Probably the majority of the people attending arts oriented events wouldn't be interested in your sports activities. (I enjoy both) You may speak for you and your circle of friends but that means little in the overall context of what downtown offers for it's citizens.

I don't doubt there are people interested in that kind of stuff, I'd say interest in a lot of that stuff has increased over the years. If there wasn't a market for it, they wouldn't continue to hold events.

Just the facts
02-09-2015, 08:16 AM
My concern with OKC and the Streetcar isn't the Streetcar. It's OKC's ability to allow the streetcar to be successful. The difference in Portland and Seattle is that these cities have been building good urbanism for a while now. Streetcars in poorly designed cities don't do nearly as well. I was actually amazed at how little the streetcar in Long Beach was used. But it made sense. That city is just not that walkable when you compare them to cities that have more successfully pulled off urban rail projects.

Point being, now that we've got a streetcar coming, transit advocates need to fully transition into form-based advocates and make sure that what goes in along the streetcar helps the streetcar be successful. I know that's pretty well known already by everyone here but is probably going to be the crux of the success or lack thereof.

The same thing happened in Tampa where the streetcar apparently was targeting convention goers who want to go to Ybor City for entertainment. There just aren't enough of them wanting to do that and a large portion of track frontage isn't buildable land so residential development along the system isn't even possible.

As for your main point, that is why I get so disappointed in how the CBD is developing since it is the core focus of OKC's system. I long for the day when the acronym CBD actually disappears from the national lexicon and is replaced simply by downtown.

Plutonic Panda
02-09-2015, 09:34 AM
The same thing happened in Tampa where the streetcar apparently was targeting convention goers who want to go to Ybor City for entertainment. There just aren't enough of them wanting to do that and a large portion of track frontage isn't buildable land so residential development along the system isn't even possible.

As for your main point, that is why I get so disappointed in how the CBD is developing since it is the core focus of OKC's system. I long for the day when the acronym CBD actually disappears from the national lexicon and is replaced simply by downtown.I thought good urbanism would follow when the streetcar was built?

betts
02-09-2015, 09:50 AM
Or maybe they work together? Why does our route go through Midtown, Auto Alley, make at stop near the Santa Fe station, go through Bricktown over to the Steelyard and the Hill, head down Reno to the park and Convention Center, go past the Art Museum and Civic Center and go through the CBD on Robinson? It goes past the Memorial and the Law School, but still traverses past areas that have yet to be developed or improved. It's not all about transit oriented development. It's also about serving people who live, work and recreate in our downtown and close in areas. It's hard for me to imagine a more logical route of an affordable length that serves such a variety of interests, to be honest with you.

Just the facts
02-09-2015, 11:02 AM
I thought good urbanism would follow when the streetcar was built?

It does if there is a place to build good urbanism and where land was available it did. Channelside is great area with retail, cruise terminal, aquarium, and several condo towers, but far too much of the route fronts industrial ship repair, drydocks, and ...wait for it... parking garages.

Just the facts
02-09-2015, 11:02 AM
I thought good urbanism would follow when the streetcar was built?

It does if there is a place to build good urbanism and where land was available it did. Channelside is a great area with retail, cruise terminal, aquarium, and several condo towers, but far too much of the route fronts industrial ship repair, drydocks, and ...wait for it... parking garages.

ljbab728
03-13-2015, 11:43 PM
An update by Bill Crum.

Oklahoma City streetcar discussion covers motor mounts, possible route changes | NewsOK.com (http://m.newsok.com/oklahoma-city-streetcar-discussion-covers-motor-mounts-possible-route-changes/article/5401361)

Plutonic Panda
03-20-2015, 10:08 PM
Oklahoma City Streetcar System Is Full Steam Ahead - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports | (http://www.news9.com/story/28576760/oklahoma-city-streetcar-system-is-full-steam-ahead)

Omega Man
03-31-2015, 08:08 AM
FYI Atlanta Street Car Atlanta Streetcar to remain free for 2015 | www.ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/news/news/atlanta-streetcar-to-remain-free-for-2015/nkjLk/)

Craig Jones, chairman of the Atlanta Downtown Improvement District board, said that since 2010, the project has attracted around $560 million in redevelopment witin a five-minute walk of the streetcar. He expects another $280 million in investment to be completed by the end of this year. :eek: