View Full Version : MAPS 3 Passes!!!

Pages : [1] 2

Patrick
12-08-2009, 08:34 PM
MAPS 3 passes with 54.3% of vote
From Staff Reports Comments 97
Published: December 8, 2009

The polls have closed for voting on the $777 million MAPS 3 proposal and early returns are in from 271 of 271 precincts:

Yes: 40,956 (54.3%) | No: 34,465 (45.7%)

Earlier in the day, Oklahoma County Election Board secretary Doug Sanderson reported that the turnout had been moderate to steady.

If voters approve MAPS 3, the city will build numerous projects. The three biggest pieces of the plan are a new convention center, a 70-acre downtown park and a downtown streetcar system and transit hub. Also included in MAPS 3 is money for Oklahoma River improvements, State Fair Park, senior aquatic wellness centers, citywide biking and pedestrian trails and sidewalks.

The plan would extend a 1-cent sales tax currently paying for Ford Center improvements. The tax, set to expire March 31, would be extended for seven years and nine months.

Read more: NewsOK (http://newsok.com/maps-3-passes-with-54.3-of-vote/article/3423551?custom_click=lead_story_title#ixzz0Z9vFuh1 v)

JerzeeGrlinOKC
12-08-2009, 08:36 PM
:congrats::congrats::congrats::congrats::congrats: :congrats::congrats::congrats::congrats::congrats: :congrats:

betts
12-08-2009, 08:38 PM
Do we have a fireworks smiley? I'm finally ready to see them. And, I have to be a wee bit mean just this one time and say that I hope iron is watching from afar. It's never wise to be too sure of oneself.

Nextlevel
12-08-2009, 08:39 PM
That is great...I am very excited. Mayor Cornett should be commended for his efforts.

Chance23
12-08-2009, 08:39 PM
Whether you were for it or against it, I think any reasonable person should hope that it's the same positive impact that the past ones have been.

Patrick
12-08-2009, 08:40 PM
Do we have a fireworks smiley? I'm finally ready to see them. And, I have to be a wee bit mean just this one time and say that I hope iron is watching from afar. It's never wise to be too sure of oneself.

http://crazywebsite.com/Website-Clipart-Pictures-Videos/New-Year-Graphics/A_frworksmiley.gif

wsucougz
12-08-2009, 08:41 PM
:cheersmf:

blangtang
12-08-2009, 08:41 PM
No: 34,465 (45.7%)

sure a lot of union goons in this city

okclee
12-08-2009, 08:42 PM
So who is ready for MAPS 4?

brianinok
12-08-2009, 08:42 PM
Hooray!!! :kicking:

I am really looking forward to all the progress we will make in the coming years. I hope the city can get the plans in place for the streetcar and do the track work as they do the streetscaping for the Devon TIF, being efficient and saving some money as they go. Maybe we can have the streetcar within the next 3-5 years? I know it's a short time frame, so if they can't do it, I guess I'll wait patiently!

LakeEffect
12-08-2009, 08:43 PM
No: 34,465 (45.7%)

sure a lot of union goons in this city

Not sure I'd put it that way. I think many of the no voters are the classic "no tax, ever" voters, the same people who elect the extremist Republicans to the State House and Senate. I don't think they'd normally be in line with a Union guy. :) The unions were for Maps 1 and it had almost the same margin...

Larry OKC
12-08-2009, 08:44 PM
Congrats and I sincerely hope all of the wonderful promises made are kept.

Patrick
12-08-2009, 08:45 PM
Yup, same margin as MAPS 1: 54% yes, 46% no.

swilki
12-08-2009, 08:45 PM
I am so proud of my city. Way to go!:kicking:

Midtowner
12-08-2009, 08:46 PM

If they pull off MAPS 3 like they did the other two, I can't wait to see what's in store for us next!

It is very exciting to think that within the next decade this city will be undergoing such a major and lasting change. Kudos to the dreamers who made this possible. This is truly an exciting time to live in OKC.

Pete
12-08-2009, 08:47 PM
My hometown continues to make me proud!

I think the next 10 years will be better than the last 10, and that's saying something.

:cheersmf:

Patrick
12-08-2009, 08:49 PM
This is another proud day in the life of Oklahoma City, my home town! Glad we're not going to remain stagnant, but we're going to continue the momentum and continue the renaissance.

nik4411
12-08-2009, 08:49 PM
Awesome news

circuitboard
12-08-2009, 08:51 PM
Yay! Keep OKC moving foward!!

CCOKC
12-08-2009, 08:51 PM
Thanks, Pete for letting us have a place to share our thoughts and hopes and gripes to fellow OKCitians. If nothing else we were the best informed voters in the city. Probably the best informed everything about our city.

jstanthrnme
12-08-2009, 08:53 PM
Thanks, Pete for letting us have a place to share our thoughts and hopes and gripes to fellow OKCitians. If nothing else we were the best informed voters in the city. Probably the best informed everything about our city.

My thoughts exactly.

Congratulations, everybody!

Patrick
12-08-2009, 08:54 PM
To continue from Kerry....it's the bottom of the 9th, and OKC is up to the plate. Voters hit a grand slam and win the series!

jbrown84
12-08-2009, 08:56 PM
Thanks to all who voted yes!

"You have chosen... wisely."
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c220/rvilliers/Movies/5123-9434.gif

jstanthrnme
12-08-2009, 08:59 PM
hopefully this has Steve working overtime for a while.

Dustin
12-08-2009, 09:00 PM
Yyyyaaaaaayyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

smooth
12-08-2009, 09:01 PM

NFL Stadium, one billion for streets, new city hall, extended rail. Bring it on!:tiphat::congrats:

circled9
12-08-2009, 09:03 PM
so who is ready for maps 4? maps 4 must be for the neighborhoods.

OKCMallen
12-08-2009, 09:06 PM
I am so proud. Sincerely. This has been a helluva ride and I'm glad it aint' stopping yet...

jbrown84
12-08-2009, 09:06 PM
I think many of the no voters are the classic "no tax, ever" voters, the same people who elect the extremist Republicans to the State House and Senate. I don't think they'd normally be in line with a Union guy. :) The unions were for Maps 1 and it had almost the same margin...

You make an interesting point. Think how low the NO percentage would be if P&F hadn't opposed this time.

Mikemarsh51
12-08-2009, 09:08 PM
Hooray, let's hear it for momentum, congratulations to you all!!!!!!!!

gen70
12-08-2009, 09:12 PM
Congrats from a fellow OKCer from Asheville N.C.. I only want to see the best things for OKC and I think MAPS is the best way to get it. Peace..

SWOKC 4 me
12-08-2009, 09:17 PM
So what is this about the opposition already saying they are looking at legally challenging the wording of the ballot. Come on, give it up! Lets move on. I am willing to support public safety in the future but please don't sour that by more of these political moves.

Lets get to work making this a first class city, from parks to the convention center to public safety and everything in between!

warreng88
12-08-2009, 09:17 PM
MAPS 4 will be a canal extension, finishing the convention center, streetcar extension down NW Expressway and to the airport and a 25,000-30,000 person football/soccer stadium.

dismayed
12-08-2009, 09:21 PM

MAPS 4: Replace government city and fire workers with private firms.

Midtowner
12-08-2009, 09:23 PM
MAPS 4 will be a canal extension, finishing the convention center, streetcar extension down NW Expressway and to the airport and a 25,000-30,000 person football/soccer stadium.

I'd buy that for a dollar.

[every three days or so].

HOT ROD
12-08-2009, 09:25 PM
As others ahve said before, congratulations to Oklahoma City - my hometown!!!

I too hope the city can be ready and install the streetcar tracks at the same time as the TIF streetscape work is going on; that should save SIGNIFICANTLY on costs in the cbd and should allow for the longest alignment (6 or 7 miles, maybe even longer with spurs to OCU/Asia District, the Capitol campus, and Capital Hill - really tying in the entire central city), a nice amount of trains, and hopefully building the transit hub/commuter hub.

As for MAPS 4, I also think it should be neighbourhood focused - bringing enhanced transit/library/community centers and beautification/lighting/sidewalks/fountains/statues, to enhance the much needed changes in zoning of the 2nd and 3rd rings. I think the big signature project downtown should be a multipurpose outdoor stadium (NFL,MLS,NCAA bowl/Big 12 championship focus) - that along with the previous MAPS and private investment, should ensure downtown's place as Oklahoma's best destination for business, culture, entertainment, and living. Maybe MAPS 4 could also have more rail, and perhaps have a Metropolitan focus (for commuter rail) with those cities voting for their alignment and station(s). ...

One thing's for sure - this is very exciting for Oklahoma City!
Continue the Renaissance!

Thundercitizen
12-08-2009, 09:30 PM
There are many senior military folks at Tinker really taking note of the special thing that's happening here and plan to stay because of them.

dengar22
12-08-2009, 09:31 PM
From a Texas guy - congratulations! I've been curiously watching these debates on this forum for the last few months and have been pulling for MAPS 3. I felt silly today telling everybody I could here in Amarillo about the "big vote" in OKC - I got some strange looks!

Glad to hear you're taking your fantastic city to new levels and I hope we get to move there in the near future!

:congrats::congrats::congrats::congrats::congrats:

Redskin 70
12-08-2009, 09:33 PM
I am happy it passed and equally happy the trolls will go away:tiphat:

andy157
12-08-2009, 09:35 PM
So what is this about the opposition already saying they are looking at legally challenging the wording of the ballot. Come on, give it up! Lets move on. I am willing to support public safety in the future but please don't sour that by more of these political moves.

Lets get to work making this a first class city, from parks to the convention center to public safety and everything in between!Congratulation to the YES folks. SWOKC 4 me I agree with the give it up and move on concept. Obviously Police and Fire were part of the opposition all the way until the last vote was counted. However I'm certain that any opposition, (if there is any) going forward will not include Fire or Police. If I'm wrong, I would be shocked and disappointed.

andy157
12-08-2009, 09:38 PM
Congratulations Doug. Who let the DougDawg out.. who..who..who..who...who

Thunder
12-08-2009, 09:40 PM
Hallelujah! Honestly, I can not see why those whiners are against this. It's only a penny to every sales tax! One penny!!!

okcpulse
12-08-2009, 10:06 PM
Oklahoma City, you continue to make me proud. I so can't wait to drive through my home city and just dream of the endless possibilities this Christmas.

I can't wait to call OKC home again!!! YES!!!!!

soonerguru
12-08-2009, 10:11 PM
This is an unbelievable day in our history. What a message we're sending the rest of the country passing these progressive initiatives in the midst of a severe economic recession. The rest of America has already begun to notice the changes in our city, but they ain't seen nothing, yet!

Way to go, OKC!

By the way, the watch party was great. Very cool crowd.

Midtowner
12-08-2009, 10:11 PM

Lets get to work making this a first class city, from parks to the convention center to public safety and everything in between!

I'd take that case.

I still think the ballot's wording is highly suspect. I voted for the measure, but that doesn't mean I buy into its constitutionality.

Patrick
12-08-2009, 10:12 PM
Again, we pass one of these in the face of crisis. With MAPS 1 it was the oil bust, now it's a severe national recession. OKC makes me proud and I'm proud to call this place home.

gmwise
12-08-2009, 10:17 PM
Well, as much as I didnt want it to pass, it did.
Now, lets get to work, find a watchdog and make sure City Hall delivers.

stlokc
12-08-2009, 10:18 PM
A standing ovation from an impressed expat! Well done, citizens of my hometown, well done. Can't wait to see what the next few years bring!

HOT ROD
12-08-2009, 10:18 PM
dengar, although I am an expat - I follow OKC developments and am excited about the city and visit often (it just too hot for me, lol).

But, let me say - on behalf of my fellow OKC brotherin, you are more than welcome to our fine city and I for one am happy and excited to see you are planning to move and contribute to the city. I wish you the best and hope you can soon call OKC your home - we need you!

Again, thanks for those kind words and Im sure I speak for everyone on this forum (regardless of the Yes or No side) - YOU ARE WELCOME IN OKLAHOMA CITY!!!!!!

mugofbeer
12-08-2009, 10:20 PM
I hope the city sends out some sort of press release that announces passage of MAPS3 and words it in such a way that it is our own version of a stimulus program. Could get some great press.

Thundercitizen
12-08-2009, 10:22 PM
Again, we pass one of these in the face of crisis. With MAPS 1 it was the oil bust, now it's a severe national recession. OKC makes me proud and I'm proud to call this place home.I posted this elsewhere, but along the same lines:
It's not just "young, creative" people that are excited about the city's direction. I'm not a senior citizen, but since 1973 when I gandered upon the model of what OKC's CBD would look like in the year 1983...I was enthralled. It was pretty lame, but there were at least 5 other "Bank of Oklahoma's" represented. Graduated from the school of architecture when the oil bust hit hard. Needless to say, OKC's skyline was...stagnant. Retired from the military after spending years trying to represent the OKC. Got tired of the "fly-over state" type comments and even more tired of the complete ignorance about my home city. MAPs brought development and major league status to my hometown...couldn't be prouder. Now, the progressive people of OKC are eager to lead others into the future. I am very excited about it...and for my family.

gmwise
12-08-2009, 10:22 PM
I hope the city sends out some sort of press release that announces passage of MAPS3 and words it in such a way that it is our own version of a stimulus program. Could get some great press.

LOL..
Shh get the right wingers all worked up.

mugofbeer
12-08-2009, 10:25 PM
Hey, this is a version of stimulus that will be PAID for, not on borrowed money.

Thundercitizen
12-08-2009, 10:25 PM
Hey, this is a version of stimulus that will be PAID for, not on borrowed money.and I like it.

Doug Loudenback
12-08-2009, 11:09 PM
Congratulations Doug. Who let the DougDawg out.. who..who..who..who...who
Ha ha, you're a funny guy and a new good friend. The mayor made conciliatory remarks this evening and I hope that he was sincere. Even though police and fire put up stiff opposition, I do agree that its time to pull together ... and take care of unmet police and fire needs. The whole city will already benefit, police and fire included, but it would be good to turn a sober eye to their unmet needs as well. Big hug all the way around.

rcjunkie
12-08-2009, 11:22 PM
Ha ha, you're a funny guy and a new good friend. The mayor made conciliatory remarks this evening and I hope that he was sincere. Even though police and fire put up stiff opposition, I do agree that its time to pull together ... and take care of unmet police and fire needs. The whole city will already benefit, police and fire included, but it would be good to turn a sober eye to their unmet needs as well. Big hug all the way around.

Well said, and I couldn't agree more.

RedDirt717
12-08-2009, 11:22 PM
Just got back from the watch party. I want to thank everyone who voted and the people that volunteered with me. Working, going to grad school, and volunteering for MAPS3 has been a 75 hour week gauntlet. I finished my last final today and got the best early Christmas present I could have asked for. If I died right now I'd have a big smile on my face.

Cheers OKC, and congrats on a BRIGHT FUTURE!!

mheaton76
12-08-2009, 11:26 PM
Just wanted to add my two cents: Way to go!! I'm very excited for the future of OKC.

Thundercitizen
12-08-2009, 11:38 PM
Just got back from the watch party. I want to thank everyone who voted and the people that volunteered with me. Working, going to grad school, and volunteering for MAPS3 has been a 75 hour week gauntlet. I finished my last final today and got the best early Christmas present I could have asked for. If I died right now I'd have a big smile on my face.

Cheers OKC, and congrats on a BRIGHT FUTURE!!Thanks for your hard work.

MikeOKC
12-08-2009, 11:49 PM
Do we have a fireworks smiley?

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/2903/animatedfireworks.gif

YES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!OKC WINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!