View Full Version : MAPS 3 Passes!!!

Pages : 1 [2]

Dustin
12-09-2009, 12:39 AM
I get butterflies in my stomach when I think about what this city is becoming!! I'm soo happy to be a part of it!!

kevinpate
12-09-2009, 06:04 AM
Y'all Done Good!

Decious
12-09-2009, 08:05 AM
Good breakdown of Maps3 voter reasoning on News9. Especially like the chart at around the 3:40 mark! I woke up this morning very proud to be an OKCitian.

Video Page 2009 - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports | (http://www.news9.com/Global/category.asp?C=116601&autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=4370506&flvUri=&partnerclipid=)

okclee
12-09-2009, 08:25 AM
Has anyone seen a MAPS 3 vote breakdown per preinct?

Golfer
12-09-2009, 08:58 AM
I just wanted to say congratulations from a good loser who did pickup a dozen or so notthismaps signs up early this morning on the way to work. I do believe that the opposition did open citizens and city leaders eyes. I noticed during the campaign that the yes campaign did add/change/& enhance some of their promises, I hope this will make them more accountable and keep all the promises that they have made. The opposition was healthy for Maps 3 for several reasons: accountabilty, tax base usage, voter turnout, & bringing up issues that have been ignored. I thought it would be close but would not pass, but I was wrong and I am man enough to admit that ( especially to you Betts). The money out of my pocket was never a issue for me. I have always like the saying that something was either meant to be or it was not meant to be, so i guess Maps 3 was meant to be. I have to go now and train for the over 50 year old white water rafting championship, just kidding - I still have a good sense of humor. I went white water rafting for the first time earlier this year in Colorado and loved it. FYI, in 2010 there will be a tax leived in Oklahoma County in the form of sales tax or property tax increase for the Oklahoma county jail to conform to federal standards, if the county does not do it, the feds will come in with a mandatory tax. Again congrats, enjoy , and a have a good hoilday season.

betts
12-09-2009, 09:02 AM
Hey, my husband still kayaks, and he's in that over 50 group. That, and the park, were the things he was most excited about.

Yes, we will have to pay the jail tax, I know. Do we know if we need an entirely new jail, or if the existing one can be fixed? If not, perhaps we can make it studio apartments. There's probably a catchy name we could use for it. The Clink, or something like that.

gmwise
12-09-2009, 09:08 AM
I want a dungeon type.
triple maximum security..why? intimidation.
one building above ground. that is a receiving garage, bunker style, 20 feet plus ,of reinforced concrete.
and it goes for 7 or so stories down..no windows, 4 layers of security.
and its tornado safe too...

mugofbeer
12-09-2009, 09:09 AM
I want a dungeon type.
triple maximum security..why? intimidation.
one building above ground. that is a receiving garage, bunker style, 20 feet plus ,of reinforced concrete.
and it goes for 7 or so stories down..no windows, 4 layers of security.
and its tornado safe too...

Thats the Supermax! Then the feds would want to empty Guantanamo into it.

gmwise
12-09-2009, 09:12 AM
Thats the Supermax! Then the feds would want to empty Guantanamo into it.

YES!! it will bring high paying and unique,high numbers, it will pay for MAPS3 and maybe 4..lol

mugofbeer
12-09-2009, 09:14 AM
YES!! it will bring high paying and unique,high numbers, it will pay for MAPS3 and maybe 4..lol

Then maybe once they built it and filled it, we could just fill it in one night when no one's looking......

gmwise
12-09-2009, 09:16 AM
Then maybe once they built it and filled it, we could just fill it in one night when no one's looking......

And more or less have a garrison sitting on it or near by.
wait..we can use the Convention Center budget to start it??!
I'm a genius!

yea i know i went to far..

theparkman81
12-09-2009, 07:16 PM
Congratulations OKC, I can't wait to see what's next........

Larry OKC
12-11-2009, 08:00 AM
Yes, we will have to pay the jail tax, I know. Do we know if we need an entirely new jail, or if the existing one can be fixed? If not, perhaps we can make it studio apartments. There's probably a catchy name we could use for it. The Clink, or something like that.

Actually like that idea...

The old one can be fixed (with an annex) but in the 1st round of numbers it was actually going to be something like $40-$50M cheaper to build new ($400M price range). Revised figures got it lowered to $310M, but County Commissioners are hoping to get it down to around $200M. One way they cut costs was lowering the bed count, but isn't that one of the problems that the current jail has (overcrowding). How does reducing the bed count by 500 help solve the problem? Thoughts?

Midtowner
12-11-2009, 08:29 AM
How does reducing the bed count by 500 help solve the problem? Thoughts?

I would think they'd make better use of private part-time lockup facilities such as Avalon for their more petty/low-risk prisoners. They could actually do that right now, but I'm guessing that so many of the prisoners down there are actually earning money for the county that under the current arrangement, the county can't afford not to have those prisoners.

I think an expansion, at least long-term and for the health of the system in general is the way to go. If not that, use the downtown facility for short-timers and for folks who are within days of court appearances and use a facility located elsewhere and built cheaply for the folks who are waiting longer periods or are convicts who won't be sent to prisons elsewhere.