View Full Version : Parking discussion with Jim Couch

Patrick
08-11-2004, 11:40 AM
I emailed Jim Couch to discuss parking issues in Bricktown, and here was his reply.

"Mr. Horn - Thank you for you comments. I agree that more structured parking and less surface parking would be a positive. There are several groups looking at several proposals in the area. Your suggestion of structured parking in the Bass Pro lot may have merit. The Bass Pro agreement does have language in it to accommodate such a proposal if it were to become financially feasible.

There is significant momentum in Bricktown, and I think in short order we will some projects that involve more structured parking.

Jim Couch"

It sounds like our city has a good focus in general. The more we can move away from surface parking downtown, and the more we can focus on structured parking, the better.

BG918
08-11-2004, 03:59 PM
I think for the Bass Pro lot it would be nice if they built two new structures, one on each side of that creek. They would have a variety of small-scale retail, maybe a restaurant or two, and have space for offices/apartments on a second level. Private parking behind these structures would be for the offices/apartments. Pedestrian access would be through sidewalks beside the creek and would include several new wooden bridges. The entrance to Bass Pro would be clearly visible at the other end looking up the creek from the canal. Bass Pro would still have an access drive in front of it that would go under I-40 and lead to more parking. A garage could be built across the street (Reno Ave.) to accomodate more parking for Bass Pro, the retail shops along the creek, and the Embassy Suites next door.

mranderson
08-11-2004, 04:58 PM
We could build the tallest parking garage in the world. I do not know how tall that would be, but it would set us apart from the rest. Chicago has the twin round structures that were featured in numerous motion pictures, such as "The Hunter," with the late Steve McQueen (his last performance). Plus, we could make it unusual in shape. :D

Patrick
08-11-2004, 10:44 PM
Having the tallest parking garage in the world, would solve the Bricktown parking problem and free up more space for development of hotels, retail, restaurants, etc.