View Full Version : Voted!

Pages : [1] 2 3

betts
12-08-2009, 06:42 AM
I distributed 100 Yes for MAPS and Vote Today signs this morning and I've voted, as has my husband. Son to follow. Now, democracy rules.

BoulderSooner
12-08-2009, 06:46 AM
voted as well ... so we are at least off to a 3-0 start :)

andy157
12-08-2009, 06:55 AM
I distributed 100 Yes for MAPS and Vote Today signs this morning and I've voted, as has my husband. Son to follow. Now, democracy rules.The worst part of your accomplishments this morning is that now you get to pick those 100 signs back up. Peace.

andy157
12-08-2009, 06:58 AM
voted as well ... so we are at least off to a 3-0 start :)Not hardly, it's 3-3, I have to dogs that are registered voters.

Of Sound Mind
12-08-2009, 06:58 AM
The worst part of your accomplishments this morning is that now you get to pick those 100 signs back up. Peace.

I'd say it is well worth the effort when Maps 3 passes and our city's growth continues.

flippity
12-08-2009, 07:09 AM
I distributed 100 Yes for MAPS and Vote Today signs this morning and I've voted, as has my husband. Son to follow. Now, democracy rules.

don't forget to go pick up all the signs you put out within 48 hours.

nik4411
12-08-2009, 07:26 AM
i'm sure they've been stolen by now.

just a joke. bah.

mrbob
12-08-2009, 08:00 AM
I voted too with all my fire and police buddies this morning. 22 of us went together. Guess what we voted.

Matt
12-08-2009, 08:03 AM
Guess what we voted.

For our city's growth and progress to come to a screeching halt?

FritterGirl
12-08-2009, 08:05 AM
Hope you didn't put them within 500 feet of the polling place (property line, not front door). Illegal, and double illegal if on City right of way.

Kerry
12-08-2009, 08:07 AM
I voted too with all my fire and police buddies this morning. 22 of us went together. Guess what we voted.

How do you know how they voted?

OKC@heart
12-08-2009, 08:13 AM

Out of Fear and ignorance unfortunately. It is taxes that pay for the salaries that you are bemoaning the loss of. I feel for ya. It is no fun to be out of a job. Have been there. But the very initiative that you are hoping will fail is part of the solution to your woes. It will stimulate further private investment and that will create substantial increases in collected taxes from which the fire & police departments are supported. But you have already voted with your feet so best of luck to you.

As for the rest of you, think then vote, never let an organization be the one to usurp your right to vote due to pressure or coersion. It was won with too great a price to surrender it to another group that is worried more about self preservation than what is actually good in the long run for its members.

Just so I am clear. VOTE MAPS 3 !!!

Kerry
12-08-2009, 08:27 AM
You know what is funny, if MAPS III fails the police and fire unions are going to push their own sales tax to benefit them. Good luck with that effort now. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

betts
12-08-2009, 08:27 AM
The worst part of your accomplishments this morning is that now you get to pick those 100 signs back up. Peace.

Planning on it.

Kerry
12-08-2009, 08:31 AM
Betts, you should have put your signs in illegal locations. That way, tomorrow all of these 'No' people that seemed so concerned about illegal signs can get them for you. You NTM'ers are still going to clean up the illegally placed 'Yes' signs after the election is over aren't you? Or is your respect for law and order only situational?

I suspect after today you won't care so much about where signs are placed. But that is just me.

betts
12-08-2009, 08:38 AM
Actually, I should say planning on it if they're still there tomorrow. There were crews out picking up YES signs last night. I suppose they were all friends of Mark Shannon, because there's no way they could be policemen or firefighters, right? It is odd that signs at a home across from the fire station keep disappearing, no matter how often they're put up.

BoulderSooner
12-08-2009, 08:42 AM
You know what is funny, if MAPS III fails the police and fire unions are going to push their own sales tax to benefit them. Good luck with that effort now. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

they claim that maps 3 passing would have created a need for more cops .. well if mpas 3 fails i guess we will need less cops ... way to vote yourself out of a job .. because i promise you that if this vote fails we will have less fire and police jobs in okc

bkm645
12-08-2009, 09:16 AM
Voted yes this morning a little before 8. I was number 38 for the area around Westmoore high school. In my experience that is on the light side. How was turnout for your areas?

andy157
12-08-2009, 09:21 AM
Planning on it.betts, it was a joke, it is over, lighten up, peace= olive branch.

Of Sound Mind
12-08-2009, 09:29 AM
Indeed. And guess what the answer will be when their various "support firefighters and police families" charities call for donations.

barnold
12-08-2009, 09:32 AM
Frittergirl
As usual you're a source of incorrect information.

The ordinance is OS 26 Chapter 7 section 108- and it reads "No person shall be allowed to electioneer within three hundred (300) feet of any ballot box while an election is in progress, nor shall any person or persons, except election officials and other persons authorized by law, be allowed within fifty (50) feet of any ballot box while an election is in progress.

Vote No. Not This Maps.

Kerry
12-08-2009, 09:32 AM
betts, it was a joke, it is over, lighten up, peace= olive branch.

In other words, we really need you to vote for our pending sales tax increase to help out the fire union.

Sorry, it doesn't work that way. You guys should have thought of that before you started setting the bridges on fire, metaphorically speaking of course.

andy157
12-08-2009, 09:34 AM
they claim that maps 3 passing would have created a need for more cops .. well if mpas 3 fails i guess we will need less cops ... way to vote yourself out of a job .. because i promise you that if this vote fails we will have less fire and police jobs in okcRegarding the issue of less Cops and less Firefighters. MAPS passing, or MAPS failing is inmaterial, so barring a miracle it is going to happen no matter what the outcome is. It is obvious that will come as good news to some.

flintysooner
12-08-2009, 09:34 AM
I was number 239 at about 9:30.

warreng88
12-08-2009, 09:39 AM
I was #47 at 8:05 am... Oh and I voted Yes.

andy157
12-08-2009, 09:41 AM
In other words, we really need you to vote for our pending sales tax increase to help out the fire union.

Sorry, it doesn't work that way. You guys should have thought of that before you started setting the bridges on fire, metaphorically speaking of course.We're having a vote to increase our pending sales tax? You must know something nobody else here knows. You must be pretty well connected and wired in if your privy to such insider information.

LordGerald
12-08-2009, 09:41 AM

Then you all went back to your place...

Platemaker
12-08-2009, 09:43 AM
Voted yes!

andy157
12-08-2009, 09:47 AM
Betts, you should have put your signs in illegal locations. That way, tomorrow all of these 'No' people that seemed so concerned about illegal signs can get them for you. You NTM'ers are still going to clean up the illegally placed 'Yes' signs after the election is over aren't you? Or is your respect for law and order only situational?

I suspect after today you won't care so much about where signs are placed. But that is just me.Didn't someone get caught "Cleaning Up" the oppositions signs? I can't remember who it was, Kerry do you remember?

betts
12-08-2009, 09:59 AM
andy, trust me, there are people on both sides "cleaning up". When YES signs put up in the middle of last night disappear en masse, there's organization behind the "clean up". Again, let he that has no sin cast the first stone.

purplemonkeythief
12-08-2009, 10:11 AM
Standing in line to vote right now. There's around 30 other people here. Everyone's talking about why they're voting No

andy157
12-08-2009, 10:15 AM
andy, trust me, there are people on both sides "cleaning up". When YES signs put up in the middle of last night disappear en masse, there's organization behind the "clean up". Again, let he that has no sin cast the first stone.betts I believe I said that very same thing a week ago. From time to time I've been a first class sinner, trust me. However If you took my first message to mean I was throwing rocks, I'm sorry but you thought wrong.

king183
12-08-2009, 10:19 AM
I'm predicting it passes 54-46 or better.

OKCRT
12-08-2009, 10:55 AM
Well I was torn on which way to vote but after reading some of these threads for the Pro Fire/Police unions I decided to vote YES.

Kerry
12-08-2009, 10:56 AM
Regarding the issue of less Cops and less Firefighters. MAPS passing, or MAPS failing is inmaterial, so barring a miracle it is going to happen no matter what the outcome is. It is obvious that will come as good news to some.

So why did the police and fire union link the two?

aintaokie
12-08-2009, 11:06 AM
Great...everyone voted. Good or bad, now the dust can settle and the mud be washed away. And then the fun can start all over again.

SouthsideSooner
12-08-2009, 11:10 AM
I voted yes and was told the turnout had been good at that point inspite of the weather.

I vote at a church close to SW119 and Portand and when i was driving up, there was a young man putting out YES signs on the street leading up to the polling place. When I left 10 minutes later, they were gone...

andy157
12-08-2009, 11:12 AM
Indeed. And guess what the answer will be when their various "support firefighters and police families" charities call for donations.Yes Mr. Neese everyone knows. You have made that statement 5 or 6 times here, and other places as well. Your point is clear. If you need the satisfaction of thinking you have punished the Firefighters, and if this is the punitive action that will satisfy your need then by all means, keep your $25. If you would like to have your name removed from the call list I'm sure that can be arranged. However it may give you greater satisfaction to wait until you are contacted to give the caller a piece of your mind. If you like send me a pm, I would be happy to assist you.

bbhill
12-08-2009, 11:16 AM
I voted yes and was told the turnout had been good at that point inspite of the weather.

I vote at a church close to SW119 and Portand and when i was driving up, there was a young man putting out YES signs on the street leading up to the polling place. When I left 10 minutes later, they were gone...

Good to see we aren't playing dirty politics here. . . /sarcasm

Wambo36
12-08-2009, 11:18 AM

So were there any NO sign in the space the yes signs were taken from?

purplemonkeythief
12-08-2009, 11:20 AM

define "leading up to the polling place"

There's some pretty strict rules about campaigning near polling places that get enforced. In this case it could have been anyone on either side that removed them.

betts
12-08-2009, 11:21 AM
But andy, wasn't the plan to oppose MAPs basic intent to do the same thing? Aren't the police and firemen punishing the mayor and city council for being recalcitrant on issues that concern you? I know we've heard about the ballot, and the economy et al, but all those arguments occurred long after the decision was made by the union to oppose MAPS, and most of the police and firemen you talk to are pretty honest about their motivations to vote no.

andy157
12-08-2009, 11:21 AM
So why did the police and fire union link the two?You don't understand my message explaining the City's message do you?

betts
12-08-2009, 11:22 AM
define "leading up to the polling place"

There's some pretty strict rules about campaigning near polling places that get enforced. In this case it could have been anyone on either side that removed them.

I think that we've discovered that you cannot move signs unless you are legally authorized to do so, even if they're illegally placed.

purplemonkeythief
12-08-2009, 11:23 AM
So why did the police and fire union link the two?

huh? I thought the city linked the two.

SouthsideSooner
12-08-2009, 11:24 AM
So were there any NO sign in the space the yes signs were taken from?

There were no signs on the same street and they were still there...

betts
12-08-2009, 11:25 AM
SouthsideSooner, do you mean there were Not This MAPS signs still in place?

purplemonkeythief
12-08-2009, 11:27 AM
I think that we've discovered that you cannot move signs unless you are legally authorized to do so, even if they're illegally placed.

True, but I believe the No Campaigning Near Polling Places rules sorta trumps that.

A lady wearing a No shirt had to change it out in her car at my polling place. Nobody thought it was that big of a deal.

andy157
12-08-2009, 11:29 AM
Out of Fear and ignorance unfortunately. It is taxes that pay for the salaries that you are bemoaning the loss of. I feel for ya. It is no fun to be out of a job. Have been there. But the very initiative that you are hoping will fail is part of the solution to your woes. It will stimulate further private investment and that will create substantial increases in collected taxes from which the fire & police departments are supported. But you have already voted with your feet so best of luck to you.

As for the rest of you, think then vote, never let an organization be the one to usurp your right to vote due to pressure or coersion. It was won with too great a price to surrender it to another group that is worried more about self preservation than what is actually good in the long run for its members.

Just so I am clear. VOTE MAPS 3 !!!I'm not clear, Vote what?

OKCMallen
12-08-2009, 11:31 AM
I voted yes. Only #12 at 815 this morning.

Wambo36
12-08-2009, 11:41 AM
There were no signs on the same street and they were still there...

Not on the same street. Were they in the same proximity to the polling place?(distance, etc.) Were they in the same space as the yes signs?

Kerry
12-08-2009, 11:42 AM
True, but I believe the No Campaigning Near Polling Places rules sorta trumps that.

A lady wearing a No shirt had to change it out in her car at my polling place. Nobody thought it was that big of a deal.

Thank goodness she brought a change of clothes with her to the polling place. Most people don't have that kind forethought.

SouthsideSooner
12-08-2009, 11:44 AM
SouthsideSooner, do you mean there were Not This MAPS signs still in place?

Yes, thanks Betts, sorry if that post wasn't clear. The post should have read...

There were Not This MAPS signs on the same street and they were still there...

purplemonkeythief
12-08-2009, 11:49 AM
Thank goodness she brought a change of clothes with her to the polling place. Most people don't have that kind forethought.

maybe she went through the same thing with a Cheny or Obama shirt? I dunno, but like I said, nobody thought it was a big deal and nobody whined about it, including her.

Mikemarsh51
12-08-2009, 12:11 PM
Brad, OCFD does not solicit donations and never has. There are associations that do and we are not part of that. I will tell you what we did do. Hopped on the fire engine and went to Wal-Mart with a DHS wish list and bought a foster child a brand new bike for Christmas, before anyone says it, we paid for it ourselves and went over the limit. I bet she won't hate us this year.

rcjunkie
12-08-2009, 12:19 PM
I don't think for a minute that anyone has ever said that the Policeman and Fireman were bad people, they are always generous with their support, it's just that on this issue, MAPS3 supporters couldn't disagree more with your opposistion and the reason we feel your opposed.

jbrown84
12-08-2009, 12:22 PM
Just cast my vote for the future of Oklahoma City. Don't be swayed by fear-mongering and defeatist attitudes. VOTE YES!!

wsucougz
12-08-2009, 12:31 PM
2 more YES votes racked up.

SoonerLakers
12-08-2009, 12:43 PM
Brad, OCFD does not solicit donations and never has. There are associations that do and we are not part of that. I will tell you what we did do. Hopped on the fire engine and went to Wal-Mart with a DHS wish list and bought a foster child a brand new bike for Christmas, before anyone says it, we paid for it ourselves and went over the limit. I bet she won't hate us this year.

So you used city equipment to run your personal errands? Interesting

Brandon_sharp
12-08-2009, 12:47 PM
So you used city equipment to run your personal errands? Interesting

seriously?