View Full Version : Seattle, New Orleans, All Over Again

Doug Loudenback
12-07-2009, 12:46 AM
I hate to say this, but I'm gonna say it.

Betts runs a fine Thunder Fan site, OKC Thunder Fans Forums - Oklahoma City NBA - Powered by vBulletin (http://www.okcthunderfans.com/vforum/index.php) . Before she became the proprietor, a fellow named Patrick and one or two others owned it. The board stemmed back to a point in time preceding the Hornets temporary relocation here.

That board weathered two waves of trolls and would-be insult artists from different geographic parts of the country ... NOLA ... Pacific NW ... sometimes both at the same time. A few were reasonable, but, in the main, they were rude, crude, and socially unacceptable (a phrase I recall a teacher having said back in my own high school days). Change the topic of discussion from sports to politics, and many of those posters would fit in nicely (these days) and be indistinguishable from many who have started posting here since MAPS 3 became the topic of the time. The same thing is repeated here over and over and over and over again perhaps with the notion that whoever has the stamina to put up with it for the longest time wins the argument.

The only real difference is that it's not NOLA vs. OKC, or Seattle vs. OKC. It's Okc vs. Okc, and it is deja vu all over again, right here in this board and right now. I'm pretty sick of it. I may be the only one who feels this way.

That's it, just had to get it off of my chest. Fire away.

betts
12-07-2009, 12:56 AM
I'm pretty sick of it too. Thank God tomorrow is Tuesday.

flintysooner
12-07-2009, 05:58 AM
The same thing is repeated here over and over and over and over again perhaps with the notion that whoever has the stamina to put up with it for the longest time wins the argument.
I thought the initial discussion on OKCTalk was both interesting and informative. I didn't really know how I'd vote initially but was leaning away. So in my case at least the decision I finally reached did have a good deal to do with my reading here.

However, to me there's been nothing new advanced in a long while. I know there are people who will disagree with me but small details are just not terribly important to me.

It seems to me that once all the facts are available there is just no reason to delay making a decision about something like how you're going to vote. Worrying about it just leads to frustration and self-questioning which is just pointless in such cases. But that's just me.

The team-contest approach to arguing actual issues has never made sense to me period.

And another thing that never made sense to me is the firefighters and police opposition. It still doesn't. I remain absolutely astounded and puzzled at their opposition. It seems illogical to me as well as tactically and strategically counterproductive to their ultimate stated objective. It more seems that emotion and, dare I say testosterone, clouded the judgment of the leadership that led to a simple contest of who had the most power and who was willing to use it.

That's not to excuse what I see as a rather clumsy effort on behalf of the proponents.

I have gained respect for several posters however and realize that I now look at things they submit with new interest. I'm certain that you know the ones I mean as they stand out as excellent advocates for their positions.

I'm pretty sick of it. I may be the only one who feels this way.

Yes, I'm done with it.

Doug Loudenback
12-07-2009, 09:22 AM
As a public service for anyone who wants to use the feature, which I have decided to do, the animation below shows you how to use the ignore feature here ... 1 of 5 frames will rotate every 6 seconds or so ...

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/misc/ignore.gif

ON EDIT: Following up ... it works great!

betts
12-07-2009, 10:10 AM
I've got a list ready and waiting for 7 p.m. tomorrow night. Until then, I figure I can take a few hits for the team. By next week, they'll almost all be gone anyway, and this forum can get back to normal.

PLANSIT
12-07-2009, 10:13 AM
Why hasn't moderation stepped up and handled it in accordance to forum rules and regulations?

Troll post in 3..2..1

soonerguru
12-07-2009, 10:45 AM
As a public service for anyone who wants to use the feature, which I have decided to do, the animation below shows you how to use the ignore feature here ... 1 of 5 frames will rotate every 6 seconds or so ...

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/misc/ignore.gif

ON EDIT: Following up ... it works great!

LOL. This is great.

flintysooner
12-07-2009, 10:50 AM
I asked if there were a way to ignore an entire forum or sub-forum but apparently there is not.

I think it would be a nice feature.

kevinpate
12-07-2009, 11:03 AM
I asked if there were a way to ignore an entire forum or sub-forum but apparently there is not.

I think it would be a nice feature.

Indirectly, there is, at least when you start at the new posts screen. Every post indicates at the far right where forum it is in. If for example, someone doesn't wish to participate in the Politics forum, just open and immediately close the thread. That one won't reappear on new posts until someone else adds something.

Not aware of any other way.

flintysooner
12-07-2009, 11:14 AM
Indirectly, there is, at least when you start at the new posts screen. Every post indicates at the far right where forum it is in. If for example, someone doesn't wish to participate in the Politics forum, just open and immediately close the thread. That one won't reappear on new posts until someone else adds something.

Not aware of any other way.My strategy is to use new posts and then I just run down through them omitting any action on entire forums until I'm done. Then I "Mark Forums Read."

I actually did find some extensions that provided better ignore support but it seemed easier just to continue the march.

Ignoring individual posters has a lot of disadvantages.

Laramie
12-07-2009, 11:41 AM
We're all sick of it!

Welcome to the big league's indoctrination; Oklahoma City you've made it!

Let's pass MAPS 3 tomorrow and put a $400 million retractable roof stadium on MAPS 4 when all this is paid in full?

HOT ROD
12-07-2009, 11:50 AM
here-here

flippity
12-07-2009, 12:20 PM
I've got a list ready and waiting for 7 p.m. tomorrow night. Until then, I figure I can take a few hits for the team. By next week, they'll almost all be gone anyway, and this forum can get back to normal.

i seriously doubt it will stop for a while. even after the election people will be arguing about it.

hoya
12-07-2009, 12:34 PM
I'm with betts. I think most of these guys will be gone Wednesday. I'll use the ignore list after that, if they stick around.

Popsy
12-07-2009, 01:27 PM
I am fearful that if they all leave at once the average IQ of posters and readers of this forum will rise so quickly that it could cause dizziness.

westsidesooner
12-07-2009, 01:51 PM
Great post Doug. I've ignored those discussions since the first few days. While the first few posts in the Maps3 yes and Maps3 no forums were interesting, it sickened me to think that the world and esp. the USA has fallen to a point where civil debate is often disregarded. I'm all for Maps 3 but since I live in Bethany I dont get a vote. However I believe that all the Maps projects have helped the entire metro area. Even gaining national and worlwide attention to our OKC.

But when a civil debat over the direction our city will take in the future comes down to threats of viloence, intimidation, lies, and property destruction its just makes me sick. God help us all if this decline in civility continues on it's current course. And those involoved should be ashamed.

Trolls be gone.

I'm pretty sick of it too. Thank God tomorrow is Tuesday.

Amen

Doug Loudenback
12-08-2009, 03:19 PM
It appears that iron whatever may now be safely removed from your "ignore" list. Thank you Jesus ... well, thank you mods. Same thing.

Pete
12-08-2009, 05:58 PM
I'm quite sure things will calm down in a few days. If that doesn't happen, we'll get more proactive in our moderation or at the very least start moving all those trouble threads to the political board.

However, the ill will created by those seeking to promote police and fire causes will last a very long time.