View Full Version : State Economists united on MAPS benefits

betts
12-05-2009, 01:13 AM
Oklahoma Economists Agree: Now is the Perfect Time for Major Infrastructure Projects

Three local economists argue that the timing of MAPS couldn’t be more ideal

OKLAHOMA CITY, Dec. 3, 2009 – Three Oklahoma economists agree that while the national economy is down and cities elsewhere struggle, Oklahoma City is in a prime position to invest in major infrastructure projects. Bob Dauffenbach, director of the Center for Economic and Management Research at the University of Oklahoma; Russell Evans, director of the Center for Applied Economic Research at Oklahoma State University; and Larkin Warner, professor emeritus at Oklahoma State University, who has extensively studied the economic impact of both MAPS and MAPS for Kids, all argue that if we invest now, the return on economic activity will be maximized because of the timing.

“The timing of MAPS is perfect,” said Evans. “We’ll get the projects done at a lower cost, and the return on economic activity in the city will be maximized because of the timing, not in spite of the timing. If the construction industry was highly active right now and we put more activity into it, we would end up with less quantity and higher prices. At this point in time, we will get more return on our investment of economic activity per dollar spent and at better prices.” Dauffenbach agreed. “The construction industry is being impacted by the national recession, and that releases resources that can be gainfully employed here - so it’s a good time to engage in construction activity. Construction dollars will stretch further in Oklahoma during this time of national recession. The timing is very good, and it really contrasts quite dramatically with a couple of years ago. I’m anticipating we would get a lot of bang for the buck out of these MAPS projects.”

Research shows communities that don’t choose to invest when the economy is slow are essentially locking in their losses. When the economy rebounds, they will not be in a position to benefit. And Oklahoma City economists argue that not investing is the worst move the city could make. “We are looking for investments that will yield a positive return and continue the momentum that Oklahoma City has been able to achieve,” said Dauffenbach. “If we don’t invest now it would slow our rate of progress and likely damage our momentum.” Evans agreed. “It’s never a bad time to invest in key infrastructure in your city. The real fear should be of stopping the momentum and never starting it again. We have a momentum built up that is really setting us apart in the region.”

Research also shows that economic downturns hit regions harder that don’t have existing economic development programs and community redevelopment projects. Investing in economic and community development helps communities recover faster. And Oklahoma City economists point out that Oklahoma City is in a unique position when it comes to opportunities for investment projects. “Oklahoma City, of all cities in the US, is the one that has a unique opportunity in terms of land usage to put together a major urban park,” said Warner. “That combined with the opportunity generated by the river development and the realignment of I-40 is truly remarkable. This is an opportunity that no other city has right now, and we don’t want to blow it. I’ve studied this long enough to know that the opportunity to capitalize on the river and to invest in a downtown park has linkages with new investments that are profound.”

As budgets inevitably are cut around the nation, research shows that cities that stay in the game have less competition and more opportunities for business attraction. And Oklahoma City has the chance to stay in the game without raising taxes or incurring debt. “I think it is important to point out the merits of using sales tax to fund these projects,” said Warner. “We don’t have to borrow money, for one, which means we don’t have to pay interest on bonds or pay higher property taxes. And secondly, because greater Oklahoma City covers such a large area, people from other communities are helping us pay for programs and projects located in Oklahoma City. We can take advantage of the sales tax generated from residents not just of Oklahoma City, but elsewhere in Oklahoma. It all makes a good deal of sense.”

At the end of the day, it’s important to also note not only the economic benefits, but the quality of life benefits. “The economic benefits of MAPS are significant, but in some ways the non-economic benefits are even greater,” said Warner. “We are doing this for ourselves and we shouldn’t forget that. We are doing this to make this a better place for each of us to live.”

Doug Loudenback
12-05-2009, 01:49 AM
Betts, the only link I could find for the above is the Chambers' YesMaps site ... Keep OKC Moving - Vote Yes for MAPS on December 8! (http://www.yesformaps.com/economists.html) ... has this been published elsewhere? It's a pretty significant article not to have been picked up somewhere.

Larry OKC
12-05-2009, 07:51 AM
This is where I disagree with some of the "Not this MAPS" folks.

I agree IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT, now is the time to take advantage of lower construction costs etc. But just as I would have loved to have poured $1,000's into the stock market when it crashed, I wasn't able to do so. Buy low, sell high.

At a time when the City is experiencing consistent double digit declines in sales tax revenues (in real, last year and/or projected) and has been making budget cutbacks after at least a couple of years of "tight budgets". It would appear the City can't afford it right now either. Have to remember that even if MAPS 3 passes on Tuesday, about the only projects that are "shovel ready" might be the Trails and Sidewalks. Other projects are literally a couple of years away from breaking ground. Some, like the Convention Center are several years away. By then (hopefully) the recession will be over. But that will most likely mean substantial increases in costs as well.

Since the $100M/year revenue projections seem to be based on the current low Ford tax collections as it's base, are the costs based on the current economy (and the resulting lower costs) or the improved economy (and the resulting higher costs)? One would hope that the revenue estimates are conservative and the cost estimates are liberal. But has history indicated that is the path the City usually takes?

Best case scenario I see is we get extremely lucky and end up with 8 "Practice Facilities". By that I mean, even though projected revenue is missing the mark, the bid price (and total spent) is about half of what was earmarked. Of course while bid prices are a closer indicator of cost, they may not be reliable either. Case in point: the Arena was bid at $10M LESS than what the City had budgeted (after the vote), yet ended up costing $87.7M (34% or $22.9M MORE than the bid). So we will just have to wait and see if the Practice Facility bid is accurate.

Council launches $64.8 million arena | Journal Record, The (Oklahoma City) | Find Articles at BNET (http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4182/is_19990407/ai_n10127905/?tag=rel.res3) (4/7/99)

... Flintco had the lowest at a bid of $64.8 million. The bid was $10 million lower than the city’s allotted budget for the project, the single most expensive public works project in the city’s history.

Worst case scenario is we end up with a repeat of MAPS where they missed cost projections by 47.75% and the $777M sold to voters ends up costing $1.148 Billion (mol).

Realistically, the City's 8% average is more likely, which means the $777M will end up $839.16M.

betts
12-05-2009, 07:52 AM
Betts, the only link I could find for the above is the Chambers' YesMaps site ... Keep OKC Moving - Vote Yes for MAPS on December 8! (http://www.yesformaps.com/economists.html) ... has this been published elsewhere? It's a pretty significant article not to have been picked up somewhere.

That's where I saw it. Sorry, since I linked to it from the Oklahoman, I figured it had the link built in like their stories do.

Spartan
12-05-2009, 06:28 PM
Well The Oklahoman only focuses on MAPS every Sunday it seems, so check tomorrow's issue.

betts
12-06-2009, 01:37 PM
Nothing today that I see online. I was at Lake Texoma until just now so didn't pick up a Sunday paper. I wonder if they're going to do a multi-facted series of articles tomorrow, since it's the day before the election.

Larry OKC
12-07-2009, 01:19 AM
Nothing today that I see online. I was at Lake Texoma until just now so didn't pick up a Sunday paper. I wonder if they're going to do a multi-facted series of articles tomorrow, since it's the day before the election.

Couple of ways you can do it from their site. Quickest way is if you have a MAPS story bookmarked, bring it up and there should be a "Continuing MAPS 3 Coverage link (usually on the left hand side). Or can go to the "Todays paper" tab (right below the Home/News tabs) and then Sunday's date then sift thru until you find it.

Larry OKC
12-07-2009, 01:21 AM
Sorry, am sleep deprived and didn't notice the time/date of your post

Dustin
12-07-2009, 03:22 AM
I'm voting yes in about 8 hours!! WOOT!

purplemonkeythief
12-07-2009, 03:52 AM
I'm voting yes in about 8 hours!! WOOT!

that would be a neat trick.

Doug Loudenback
12-07-2009, 05:16 AM
I'm pretty sure that people can go to the county election board on Lincoln Blvd and do an absentee vote today.

purplemonkeythief
12-07-2009, 06:18 AM
I'm pretty sure that people can go to the county election board on Lincoln Blvd and do an absentee vote today.

ahh.. see? that's neat!

Kerry
12-07-2009, 07:43 AM
ahh.. see? that's neat!

Nice save.

Spartan
12-07-2009, 02:07 PM
If anyone is going to be afraid to go out in the possible snow tomorrow be sure to go vote today then.

Meanwhile I'm spending my last week in frigid Calgary..which is probably the only North American city that's gotten more snow than Houston so far this year..

Dustin
12-07-2009, 02:20 PM
If anyone is going to be afraid to go out in the possible snow tomorrow be sure to go vote today then.

Meanwhile I'm spending my last week in frigid Calgary..which is probably the only North American city that's gotten more snow than Houston so far this year..

Yes. If you can't get out tomorrow, go vote today. They are open til' 5 pm and there are no lines.

Chance23
12-07-2009, 07:25 PM
so wait, they found a topic to get every economist to agree on? I thought economists never agreed.

PennyQuilts
12-07-2009, 07:38 PM
Money must have changed hands...

progressiveboy
12-07-2009, 08:08 PM
so wait, they found a topic to get every economist to agree on? I thought economists never agreed. What is there not to agree on? MAPS 3 is a "pay as you go" tax. The projects will be built with that tax and when they are finished, they will be paid for. Economists have no reason to lie or deceive as they know that this MAPS 3 will create jobs, a better quality of life for OKC residents and perhaps, attract major companies and HQ to the city. As I mentioned before, this is not some tax conspiracy or a big lie from your city leaders trying to get money for other things. Remember these projects are going to impact and be beneficial for the whole city. For the naysayers that say nothing on this ballot would benefit me, then perhaps, your life is dull and lifeless and you have self motives. It is a given that if this MAPS 3 does pass, then it will do nothing but great things for OKC. Why is this so hard to believe?

soonerguru
12-07-2009, 08:18 PM
Money must have changed hands...

???