View Full Version : Save the Earth, get rid of the trappings of Christmas

HVAC Instructor
12-04-2009, 08:53 PM
Couldn't decide if this should go here, current events or politics. Flipped a coin. Here it is. Something to think about:

To the Editor: Save the Earth, get rid of trappings of Christmas

By The Post-Standard (http://connect.syracuse.com/user/syrnewspaper/index.html)

December 02, 2009, 6:50AM

http://media.syracuse.com/news/photo/2009-11-27-jc-xmastree3jpg-d173b79237bb5b03_large.jpg

Jim Commentucci / The Post-StandardSyracuse's annual Christmas tree lighting ceremony is held Friday evening at Clinton Square in downtown Syracuse. How much pollution was emitted for the thousands of people to drive to the event?

In today's Post-Standard, one reader says Christmas traditions do harm to our planet:

To the Editor:

I believe we should think about doing away with Christmas. Our planet is in big trouble, and giving up Christmas would help to save it in many ways.

Not having to do extra driving, looking for gifts, would save on gas and therefore on carbon dioxide emissions.

Millions of trees would not be cut down, allowing them to grow large and to eat up the carbon dioxide which contributes to global warming.

The land normally used for Christmas tree farms could be planted with fast-growing hardwood forests to suck up even more CO2.

No Christmas lights or decorations would mean fewer utilities would be used, therefore saving on our natural resources.

There wouldn’t be so much stuff to swell our already fast-expanding landfills.

I think people would be calmer, happier and less stressed if they didn’t have to deal with the holiday. Many who live alone or have no family ties get depressed around Christmastime. There are even increased numbers of suicides. Not celebrating Christmas would mean folks could save money and not go further into debt buying presents that the recipients didn’t even want or need.

Those wishing to celebrate Christ could have their religious and/or family get-togethers and remember Him for whom Christmas was named. It seems like we’ve gotten rather far away from that.

Mary Armstrong

Cazenovia

mugofbeer
12-04-2009, 09:27 PM
How much pollution was emitted for the thousands of people to drive to the event?

How much pollution is emitted flying Al Gore all over the world so he can sell his books about global warming?
How much pollution is emitted flying politicans around the world on fact-finding missions?
How much pollution is emitted when anti-war protestors, anti-WTO, anti-abortion, tea party, anarchist, million-man-marchers, PETA, etc., etc., go to state capitals and DC for protests?
How much pollution is emitted when Brad and Angelina fly in their private jet to Milan for the fashion weeks or to London for lunch?

I could go on and on. To pick out Christmas, mark it for elimination and quesiton how much pollution a Christmas gathering emitted is just stupid. You might as well elimiate all sporting events, conventions, family vacations, birthday parties and state fairs. Disney World should be closed down and people shouldn't go to its movies because of how much pollution is emitted.

There are a lot of good points made about how people celebrate but I think it's so entrenched into our economy and our society that its here to stay. Much of our economy depends on Christmas spending. I do believe people need to focus more on the meaning of Christmas rather than trying to one-up everyone else. I agree that its become too materialistic.

PennyQuilts
12-05-2009, 05:15 AM
Typical hate stuff. Getting boring...

HVAC Instructor
12-05-2009, 06:45 AM
Typical hate stuff. Getting boring...

Typical conservobot resopnse. Been boring. Actually, you sound like a libtard with the "hate" stuff comment... thats pretty funny when you think about it.

Seriously, GW theory aside, think about all the waste produced at xmas. Certainly there is economic stimulation, which is good. But then there are those that max out their credit cards buying gifts, and the accompanying financial stress, which is not so good. If you think you have to finance your xmas gifts, you have a serious problem and need mental help. People running around the malls after a 10 or 12 hour work day to get uncle Bob his gift, or to pick up nick nack gifts for the office party. And the theives which are attracted to the cars with gifts sitting in the passenger compartment, or looking for the distracted woman to rob or maybe even rape.

True story. Our real estate lady was followed home, from Penn Square mall, all the way to Edmond, by two thugs. They accosted her in her garage at gun point. They took all her gifts and her diamond wedding set while her husband was in the house watching TV, unaware of what was taking place less than 30 feet from him. She was unharmed, thankfully.

But is it not ironic what the holiday celebrating the alleged birth of the Christian saviour has turned into? It has turned into a pagan celebration of materialism, and American's worship faithfully at that altar every year.

ShiroiHikari
12-05-2009, 07:12 PM
I believe we should think about doing away with Christmas. Our planet is in big trouble, and giving up Christmas would help to save it in many ways.

Not having to do extra driving, looking for gifts, would save on gas and therefore on carbon dioxide emissions.

Yet many (not all) people who advocate "saving the earth" are also against buying things online because it doesn't support the local economy. A little consistency, please.

Millions of trees would not be cut down, allowing them to grow large and to eat up the carbon dioxide which contributes to global warming.

The land normally used for Christmas tree farms could be planted with fast-growing hardwood forests to suck up even more CO2.

The Christmas trees are grown specifically to be cut down and when Christmas is over, a live tree can become mulch for other plants. Also, how would you like it if someone told you to raze your business to the ground and plant some oak trees there instead?

No Christmas lights or decorations would mean fewer utilities would be used, therefore saving on our natural resources.

Perhaps, but it'd be a lot less fun, now wouldn't it?

There wouldn’t be so much stuff to swell our already fast-expanding landfills.

I hardly think Christmas is a major contributor to this.

HVAC Instructor
12-05-2009, 08:05 PM
I hardly think Christmas is a major contributor to this.

Good points up to here. Where do you suppose all that packaging - plastic, cardboard, styrofoam, nylon tie wraps, gift wrapping paper, et al, wind up? Walk outside and look around your neighborhood on the first trash pick up day after xmas.

Rhino
12-06-2009, 12:43 PM
Have you seen Norman after a Sooner game? And all the pollution caused by the vehicles the fans use to get there? We should ban the Sooners, and all sporting events for that matter. Concerts are just as bad...canceled!

The true evil to the environment caused by Christmas; Reindeer Farts!! We need to start an immediate initiative to replace those old outdated slay haulers with more efficient grain injected, low fecal emitting, electric reindeer!

oneforone
12-08-2009, 04:18 PM
To quote my grandfather...

"If you do not want particpate fine... go find something else to do or sit quitely. Don't ruin everyone else's good time just because you are in a bad mood."

We need to realize that many people complain just to be complaining. In reality we are one of the most privelaged societies not generations in all of mankind. Very few of us have to worry about the basic survival needs. For most of us every comfort item we need is there and plentiful in supply.

Yet, we still complain becaue we can. The goal of Ms. Armstrong was not send a message to Save the Planet. Her goal was to spit in the face of every person who enjoys Christmas. She hates Christmas for one reason or another. (i.e.: bad holiday memories, spoiled rotten childhood, etc) She is not adult enough to realize she could make the best of the holidays and not be so self centered. She could start her own holiday traditions. She could help the needy, volunteer, take a long vacation, anything.

Life is what you make it. Sour people lead sour lives. Creative and open minded people always find away to have a good time regardless the time of year, enviroment or community.

circuitboard
12-17-2009, 03:38 PM
If it helps any HVAC, I bought recycled wrapping paper this year. LOL, every little bit counts right?

rcjunkie
12-17-2009, 03:42 PM
I'm recycling gifts from last year, everyone that gave me something I already have or didn't like, their getting it back.

gmwise
12-17-2009, 03:51 PM
If you MUST used a live tree.
May I suggest..The Eastern red cedar..

· Oklahoma State University research shows that one acre of cedar trees can absorb 55,000 gallons of water per year, which means less water goes into lakes and aquifers, threatening water supplies for cities and towns.

Trees could grow into Oklahoma cash crop | NewsOK.com (http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:KVa1UMJGVRsJ:newsok.com/trees-could-grow-into-oklahoma-cash-crop/article/3419674%3Fcustom_click%3Dlead_story_title+oklahoma +pest+trees%2Bred&cd=9&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=opera)

HVAC Instructor
12-17-2009, 03:56 PM
If it helps any HVAC, I bought recycled wrapping paper this year. LOL, every little bit counts right?

That's right CB, LOL!

mugofbeer
12-17-2009, 05:09 PM
If you MUST used a live tree.
May I suggest..The Eastern red cedar..

· Oklahoma State University research shows that one acre of cedar trees can absorb 55,000 gallons of water per year, which means less water goes into lakes and aquifers, threatening water supplies for cities and towns.

Trees could grow into Oklahoma cash crop | NewsOK.com (http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:KVa1UMJGVRsJ:newsok.com/trees-could-grow-into-oklahoma-cash-crop/article/3419674%3Fcustom_click%3Dlead_story_title+oklahoma +pest+trees%2Bred&cd=9&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=opera)

I can vouch from my parents house that if you can handle the cedar smell, they make great Christmas trees. Just search through the branches for any hidden surprises before you set it up in your house.

proud2Bsooner
12-23-2009, 01:05 PM
I guess the use of "xmas" reduces your carbon footprint.