View Full Version : Bo Pelini going to LSU??

Patrick
02-10-2005, 12:04 AM
Man, I sure hope Les Miles is stupid enough to hire Pelini at LSU. I just don't think Pelini fits in well with Venables. We need a fired up defensive coordinator like Mike Stoops was. Pelini's secondary was exposed in the Orange Bowl and they didn't really look impressive all season. I wouldn't be sad to see him leave. I think Bob can hire a better secondary coach.

What do you think?

----------
"Miles says he has talked to Pelini about position

By George Schroeder
The Oklahoman

NORMAN - LSU coach Les Miles said Tuesday he has talked with Oklahoma co-defensive coordinator Bo Pelini about the Tigers' vacant defensive coordinator position. Miles wouldn't discuss whether a job had been offered, or accepted.
Watch this video

"The disposition of that is private," Miles said.

But Miles said he expected to announce a finalized staff roster by Thursday.

"We should have some determination by about then," he said.

Pelini did not return phone calls Tuesday. But OU sources indicated he had not yet accepted the job.

Miles, who left Oklahoma State for LSU last month, also said he has spoken with former OSU assistant Karl Dunbar about another assistant's position. Three defensive positions remain unfilled.

Dunbar, a former LSU standout, was OSU's defensive line coach before taking the same position with the Chicago Bears a year ago.

Pelini came to OU last winter from Nebraska, where he was defensive coordinator and interim head coach. Last December, he interviewed for and was a finalist for the Pittsburgh head-coaching job, which eventually went to former Miami Dolphins coach Dave Wannstedt. Pelini was also considered a candidate for the Syracuse job, which was filled last month by former Texas defensive coordinator Greg Robinson.

Pelini's qualifications appear to fit Miles' desire. Last week, Miles suggested he would like to hire someone with NFL experience; Pelini was a nine-year NFL assistant.

After the firing of Frank Solich, Pelini led Nebraska to a win in the Alamo Bowl. He was interviewed for the head-coaching job, but Bill Callahan was hired instead. Pelini replaced Mike Stoops and coached OU's defensive backs last season.

Miles, who left OSU last month, has pursued several potential defensive coordinators without success. Included: Cleveland Browns linebackers coach George Edwards, who was hired instead by Nick Saban and the Miami Dolphins; Ohio State co-defensive coordinator Mark Snyder, who chose to remain with the Buckeyes; and former Denver Broncos secondary coach David Gibbs, who instead took the same position at Auburn.

Former Dallas Cowboys coach Dave Campo also spoke with Miles, but it's uncertain whether he interviewed or if Campo was offered the defensive coordinator's position. "