View Full Version : Wayne Coyne's opinion on MAPS 3

urbanity
12-03-2009, 09:22 AM
Wayne Coyne and ?the invisible hand? | OKG Scene.com (http://www.okgazette.com/p/13085/a/5123/Default.aspx?ReturnUrl=LwBEAGUAZgBhAHUAbAB0AC4AYQB zAHAAeAAslashAHAAPQAxADMAMAA4ADUA)

BDP
12-03-2009, 10:00 AM
Knowing where this guy lives, it's interesting that he isn't whining about why MAPS isn't about his neighborhood like many are. Hopefully, next Tuesday we see more people with his sense of community and love for the city as a whole than we see people just looking for what MAPS could do for their special interest or their specific district.

hoya
12-03-2009, 10:45 AM
Knowing where this guy lives, it's interesting that he isn't whining about why MAPS isn't about his neighborhood like many are. Hopefully, next Tuesday we see more people with his sense of community and love for the city as a whole than we see people just looking for what MAPS could do for their special interest or their specific district.

See, I guess I just don't understand their mentality. I don't live in Oklahoma City. I live about 300 feet outside of it. So I don't get to vote for MAPS 3 (and could I vote, it would be a "Yes"). But I spend most of my time and money in the city. I work here, I shop here, it's as much my home as where my house actually sits. I want to see the city grow and prosper. MAPS 3 won't build anything in my neighborhood. But I don't expect it to. I understand the idea of the larger community, that what is good for the city as a whole is good for all of us.

I doubt Wayne Coyne and Larry Nichols agree on much when it comes to politics. I'll bet they voted for different people for President. I'll bet they have different ideas when it comes to a lot of divisive national issues. But they agree on a vision for Oklahoma City. When oil barons and rock stars come together on an issue, people should take notice.

purplemonkeythief
12-03-2009, 10:50 AM
When oil barons and rock stars come together on an issue, people should take notice.

Yeah because the opinions of regular people who don't have streets in Bricktown named after them are the least important opinions of all.

hoya
12-03-2009, 10:53 AM
Yeah because the opinions of regular people who don't have streets in Bricktown named after them are the least important opinions of all.

No, because they're on opposite sides of the spectrum. I don't have a street named after me and I support MAPS 3.

OKCMallen
12-03-2009, 11:48 AM

I hope you're not voting on anything, at ANY time, if you couldn't pick up on hoya's simple point.

purplemonkeythief
12-03-2009, 12:53 PM
I hope you're not voting on anything, at ANY time, if you couldn't pick up on hoya's simple point.

I'll keep that in mind.

There was obviously no surprise on my end that you couldn't pick up on my simple point either.

I'd explain it to you, but there's no Crayola font.

Spartan
12-03-2009, 02:06 PM
Hey, you're the one whose screenname is purplemonkeythief.

PLANSIT
12-03-2009, 02:08 PM
I'll keep that in mind.

There was obviously no surprise on my end that you couldn't pick up on my simple point either.

I'd explain it to you, but there's no Crayola font.

Yes, there is. Here (http://www.dafont.com/levicrayola.font)

I'd understand where you are coming from better if you used it.

http://www.dafont.com/levicrayola.font

Spartan
12-03-2009, 02:11 PM
http://www.dafont.com/font.php?file=levicrayola&page=1&nb_ppp_old=10&text=booyah%2C+purplemonkeythief&nb_ppp=10&psize=s&classt=alpha

It doesn't show up in the hyperlink..

betts
12-03-2009, 02:35 PM
Maps should be a nonpolitical issue, and when we try to politicize it we don't put our city first.

Lord Helmet
12-03-2009, 03:11 PM
Maps should be a nonpolitical issue, and when we try to politicize it we don't put our city first.

When we don't vote Yes we don't put our city first either.

jbrown84
12-03-2009, 03:13 PM
I doubt Wayne Coyne and Larry Nichols agree on much when it comes to politics. I'll bet they voted for different people for President. I'll bet they have different ideas when it comes to a lot of divisive national issues. But they agree on a vision for Oklahoma City. When oil barons and rock stars come together on an issue, people should take notice.

:congrats:

Coyne's neighborhood is a direct beneficiary of the "invisible hand" of MAPS. I'm talking about the Plaza District, of course.

BDP
12-03-2009, 03:31 PM
Coyne's neighborhood is a direct beneficiary of the "invisible hand" of MAPS. I'm talking about the Plaza District, of course.

Which I do believe has benefited from some Main Street money. So, I guess there is a funding source for other neighborhoods, too. Maybe I should be running an anti-Main Street Program campaign every time it doesn't choose projects in my neighborhood.

kevinpate
12-03-2009, 04:33 PM
... Maybe I should be running an anti-Main Street Program campaign every time it doesn't choose projects in my neighborhood.

You start that silliness and I hope somone drop kicks ya into next week, but leaves ya well enough to still :busterbun down and vote YES of course.

betts
12-03-2009, 11:34 PM
We are lucky to have Wayne Coyne here. Technically, he's too wealthy and cool for Oklahoma City. He could live in Gaillardia, and yet, he's living in a neighborhood that's merely up and coming. He's had a big hand in the School of Rock, and we've got the always fun Ghouls Gone Wild Halloween parade. So a big thanks to him for all of the above.

DavidGlover
12-03-2009, 11:50 PM
I would hope Wayne likes some of the projects and maybe has not thought about alternative funding mechanisms - hard to believe a guy that seems to like Barack Obama - would also think regressive sales tax is the best way to fund projects. Invisible Hand - seems an odd metaphor to interject since Adams Smith was one of the first to push progressive taxation "It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more in proportion."

betts
12-03-2009, 11:57 PM
David, I'm a Democrat, I voted for Barack Obama, AND I support MAPS wholeheartedly. Remember, there are many ways one can contribute to the public expense, outside of taxes. You have no way of taking into account both charitable donations and volunteer work done by anyone here or elsewhere.

I do think, and, although I'm only one person I'll do what I can, that this MAPS tax, like the first one, should contain a tax rebate for people under a certain income level. That can be a provision added later, and I think should be.

Oh, and Mr. Anderson could not answer my question about whether sales tax paid by businesses is part of the MAPS tax collection. He's referred it to his colleagues in the Finance Department. So, I would assume that the data he gave you two years ago is still open to question.

Doug Loudenback
12-04-2009, 12:17 AM
I would hope Wayne likes some of the projects and maybe has not thought about alternative funding mechanisms - hard to believe a guy that seems to like Barack Obama - would also think regressive sales tax is the best way to fund projects. Invisible Hand - seems an odd metaphor to interject since Adams Smith was one of the first to push progressive taxation "It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more in proportion."
Well, David, you don't want to get into a debate with Wayne Coyne. You just dont. It would be too ugly. As for me, I contributed a meager sum to the Obama campaign and proudly had the front of my home adorned with Obama signs, just like I did with with the March 4 vote, and today with MAPS 3 signs (even though I've had to replace them after the 1st batch was swiped from the premises). I'm a democrat and supporter of Obama and proud of it. I'm a Wayne Coyne fan and proud of it. I was a March 4 vote fan and proud of it. I AM a MAPS 3 fan and proud of it.

Since you bring up traditional politics and since you have once again attempted to become something of a public figure, but since you say very little about yourself, questions about you become fair game. What's your political party? Who did you support for president? If you were old enough to vote in 1993, did you vote yes or no on the original MAPS? We already know that you opposed the March 4 vote, so no question needs to asked about that. And, last, since you don't even live in Oklahoma City, why are you even involved in this discussion?

DavidGlover
12-04-2009, 12:44 AM
Doug, Your logic puzzles me: "since you don't even live in Oklahoma City, why are you even involved in this discussion? " Please elaborate, I don't understand the rationale behind your question.

Spartan
12-04-2009, 01:14 AM
He is saying that you don't live in the reservation, ergo, you shouldn't be so vocal about tribal politics. What's not to understand about the rationale?

RedDirt717
12-04-2009, 03:16 AM
Hey, you're the one whose screenname is purplemonkeythief.

LOL!

RedDirt717
12-04-2009, 03:17 AM

Ahh, yes. I'm sure Wayne Coyne is in it for the free money....

Doug Loudenback
12-04-2009, 05:21 AM
Doug, Your logic puzzles me: "since you don't even live in Oklahoma City, why are you even involved in this discussion? " Please elaborate, I don't understand the rationale behind your question.
What I said has nothing to do with logic. I though that you live in Warr Acres, am I mistaken about that?

jbrown84
12-04-2009, 10:31 AM
Ahh, yes. I'm sure Wayne Coyne is in it for the free money....

There's no free money. That's the point. The Plaza District is a revitalized area that never would have happened if it weren't for MAPS and the new pride in the inner city that it generated. No MAPS money went directly to that area. Hence the "invisible hand".

jbrown84
12-04-2009, 10:32 AM
What I said has nothing to do with logic. I though that you live in Warr Acres, am I mistaken about that?

The Village.

Spartan
12-04-2009, 01:37 PM
Oh ok. Phwew! The Village, that's a little bit better than Warr Acres. For someone with an airhead talk show I would have figured you could at least afford to live in Bethany or MWC, if not Moore or The Village. I was about to have to be condescending if Glover actually lived in Warr Acres. No offense to anyone who lives in Warr Acres, unless of course they're also anti-MAPS.

I'm really a nice person, though.

budigley
12-04-2009, 08:42 PM

its actually named after his band, so...

Larry OKC
12-06-2009, 06:50 AM
Someone enlighten me...why is it OK for a non-OKC resident to be pro_MAPS 3 and express their views, but it is NOT OK for an anti-MAPS 3 person?

decepticobra
12-06-2009, 06:59 AM

invisible hand huh? surely hoping Coyne isnt using vaaaaaaaasiline on it.

Doug Loudenback
12-06-2009, 07:04 AM
Someone enlighten me...why is it OK for a non-OKC resident to be pro_MAPS 3 and express their views, but it is NOT OK for an anti-MAPS 3 person?
Because.

betts
12-06-2009, 08:31 AM
Because many of the "yes" people who don't live here are regular members of this forum. They either have lived here or are planning to move back and their care for and/or commitment to the city are obvious. The "no" people in questio only show up when there is an election they oppose, and we have no evidence they're interested in anything to do with the city.

lump9816
12-06-2009, 11:38 AM
Betts, the no people showed up because they were informed of the misinformation being spread on this forum. You know, fire and police just want more money and the like? And guess what? Most of us are fire and police and I can assure you and everyone else on this forum, we care deeply about our city.

Midtowner
12-06-2009, 11:41 AM
we care deeply about our city.

But just not enough to have the majority of your employees live here...

betts
12-06-2009, 01:26 PM
Betts, the no people showed up because they were informed of the misinformation being spread on this forum. You know, fire and police just want more money and the like? And guess what? Most of us are fire and police and I can assure you and everyone else on this forum, we care deeply about our city.

If you care so deeply, then post on other threads. What do you think about Whole Foods? Post on the Sandridge thread. Talk about something other than yourselves and your needs. Again, if you all think you're the only people who are overworked and/or underpaid, you're fooling yourselves. I work harder than you do, and I probably get less per hour. It's hard for me to feel too sorry for you. The fire department, from what I can tell, is seriously poorly organized, which one retired Oklahoma City fireman told me was done on purpose, to justify the existence of all the employees.

The single best thing about Tuesday is that most of you all will go away, and we can get back to talking about our city, the one that matters to us. Because it mattered long before MAPS was a ballot, and it will continue to be important to us long after this election is decided. I have yet to see any evidence from most of you that you feel the same way.

soonerguru
12-06-2009, 01:30 PM

You are here to politic, only. You only care about your own concerns. You couldn't care less about the state employees and private sector employees who are taking PAY CUTS, and FURLOUGHS. You're whining about a two-percent cut.

You contribute nothing to this forum except your politics.

This makes you a troll.

I can't wait until this is over and you and your rude, trolling brethren vacate this forum.

rcjunkie
12-06-2009, 01:44 PM
You are here to politic, only. You only care about your own concerns. You couldn't care less about the state employees and private sector employees who are taking PAY CUTS, and FURLOUGHS. You're whining about a two-percent cut.

You contribute nothing to this forum except your politics.

This makes you a troll.

I can't wait until this is over and you and your rude, trolling brethren vacate this forum.

:congrats::congrats::congrats::congrats::congrats: :congrats::yourock:

OKC plaza
12-06-2009, 11:17 PM
Which I do believe has benefited from some Main Street money. So, I guess there is a funding source for other neighborhoods, too. Maybe I should be running an anti-Main Street Program campaign every time it doesn't choose projects in my neighborhood.

Just an FYI, the Plaza District is a Main Street program, and Main Street programs do not receive financial support from the program, but rather technical assistance and training. However, to be a Main Street program in Oklahoma, a community must have a portion of financial support from the city. The Plaza District Association receives funding through the Economic Development Grant Contract. There are other districts that have been/are on this funding including Stockyard City, Capitol Hill, NE 23rd Street (Capitol Gateway), Automobile Alley. So, yes, the city does support areas of OKC outside of downtown. We, like all the other districts, are expected to become self-sufficient as we progress.

Just wanted to add that tidbit, as I think it is important for people to realize the investment the city has isn't just focused on downtown. The Plaza District sure wouldn't be here if it weren't for MAPS, and I think it's safe to say it's made a positive impact on the neighborhoods surrounding it.

hoya
12-07-2009, 01:40 PM
What I'll say is that the one place we can invest that is shared by the whole city, and will ultimately benefit the whole city, is downtown. Downtown is the face of OKC. It's the heart of the city. Improvement there may not benefit a specific neighborhood. Yes, NE 23rd and MLK isn't exactly a great area, and I don't think a new city park is going to make it nice. But more prosperity downtown means more jobs in the city overall, which means more people and a higher tax base, which is going to benefit NE 23rd. If you poured $700M of renovations into a single neighborhood, you'd make a really nice neighborhood. But you wouldn't have the overall city-wide impact that you'd have downtown. Downtown is for everyone.

betts
12-07-2009, 09:30 PM
What I'll say is that the one place we can invest that is shared by the whole city, and will ultimately benefit the whole city, is downtown. Downtown is the face of OKC. It's the heart of the city. Improvement there may not benefit a specific neighborhood. Yes, NE 23rd and MLK isn't exactly a great area, and I don't think a new city park is going to make it nice. But more prosperity downtown means more jobs in the city overall, which means more people and a higher tax base, which is going to benefit NE 23rd. If you poured $700M of renovations into a single neighborhood, you'd make a really nice neighborhood. But you wouldn't have the overall city-wide impact that you'd have downtown. Downtown is for everyone.

I never thought I'd see 23rd St. renovations between Robinson and Western, so I'm not giving up on 23rd and MLK. There are some great houses south of 23rd in that area, and it's a neighborhood that could turn around, especially if we get more extensive and improved mass transit.

And, agree with your comments about downtown. I grew up in a small town, and our downtown was the heart of it. Then I moved to a small city and it was the same. I think it should be the same for a large city, and it is in most cities. We just shot ourselves in the foot with our earlier attempts at "urban renewal" and the flight to the suburbs.

Spartan
12-07-2009, 09:38 PM

If you care deeply about the city then why is the city the collateral damage for your union power push in contract negotiation? You all are holding us all hostage because the city doesn't want to give you a 2% raise right now, so you're just going to stick it to the city and the citizens where it hurts the most, MAPS. Good going. That's definitely something to be proud of. Nevermind the fact that you guys are the highest-paid police and fire in this part of the country, making on average $75,000 for cops and $78,000 for firefighters. And most of you all don't even live in the city that puts food on the table.

Edmond_Outsider
12-09-2009, 05:17 AM
Agree or disagree with his Maps views but don't doubt Wayne's motives. Of all the internationally prominant musicians from Oklahoma, few if any wave the Oklahoma flag around the world like Wayne.

He's sincere. I think he's also right about Maps. I opposed the first one until I noticed the same things Wayne did--now there is life in the city where only a few years ago the State department said "stay out of downtown OKC after dark."

Redskin 70
12-09-2009, 05:51 AM
But just not enough to have the majority of your employees live here...
Great response that..................I actually had a cop tell me OKC was a great place for PAY but he wouldnt want to raise his family here.
Now what attitude is that????????????

purplemonkeythief
12-09-2009, 11:50 AM
Great response that..................I actually had a cop tell me OKC was a great place for PAY but he wouldnt want to raise his family here.
Now what attitude is that????????????

an honest one

Thundercitizen
12-09-2009, 12:03 PM
an honest one
Well if his family is here, now, maybe he should go to the town he'd want to raise his family...I mean, if he honestly meant that.

Oh...he doesn't live in the city. I get it after reading above.

betts
12-09-2009, 03:19 PM
I've lived in the burbs, and wouldn't do it again. I hate the driving. We don't have much traffic, but it takes so long to get anywhere. I no longer go north of 63rd St., except on rare occasions. But, obviously some people like what they have to offer. It's just not for me.