View Full Version : Skirvin debut Wednesday night!

Steve
12-01-2009, 10:15 AM
http://www.okchistory.com/images/stories/skirvinbookcover.jpg

(HOPING THIS PLUG DOESN'T VIOLATE RULES...)
Steve Lackmeyer and Jack Money’s latest book, "Skirvin" hits stores in December with a launch party at 5 p.m. Wednesday, December 2, at the Skirvin Hilton Hotel at 1 Park Avenue, downtown Oklahoma City.
"Skirvin" is brought to you by the same team behind the award-winning 2006 book "OKC Second Time Around," which was designed by Carl Brune (who won best design for the title in 2007 Oklahoma Book Awards) and published by Full Circle Books.
As with "OKC Second Time Around," Steve and Jack use a narrative novel-style approach to telling the history of the 99-year-old hotel. Their story, fully foot-noted and sourced, addresses mysterious deaths of key hotel figures, family controversies that cost W.B. Skirvin control of the hotel in his later life, the turmoil of the civil rights era, and the often misunderstood efforts by owners in the 1970s and 1980s to keep the legend alive in a downtown that was on the verge of itself going dark.
"Skirvin" is a story of perseverance, glamour and grit. The book tells how a city collectively refused to let the hotel go dark forever, and how bad it got before finally reopening in 2007.
Join the fun and celebration December 2, and get your own signed copy of "Skirvin.” (copies of “OKC Second Time Around” and Steve’s book “Bricktown” also will be available for signing).

mugofbeer
12-01-2009, 10:16 AM
Very cool! Congrats!

kevinpate
12-01-2009, 10:28 AM
ditto that.

okcpulse
12-01-2009, 10:34 AM
Congrats, Steve. I'll pick up a copy while in OKC this Christmas.

Steve
12-01-2009, 01:26 PM
URGENT
Book debut party is being delayed one week. For details, go here:
The Book Deemed a Threat To National Security | OKC Central (http://tinyurl.com/yfdo7ma)

flintysooner
12-01-2009, 01:32 PM
Better for me - might be able to attend.

gen70
12-01-2009, 01:38 PM
National Security?????

kevinpate
12-01-2009, 03:11 PM
Rut Rho, must of decoded some uber secret message on page 42. Luck with that.

urbanity
12-02-2009, 08:22 AM
New book chronicles rise, fall, rebirth of Oklahoma City?s crown jewel: Skirvin Hilton Hotel | OKG Scene.com (http://www.okgazette.com/p/12776/a/5107/Default.aspx?ReturnUrl=LwBwAC8AMQAyADgAMwAzAC8AYQA vADUAMQAwADcALwBEAGUAZgBhAHUAbAB0AC4AYQBzAHAAeAAsl ashAFIAZQB0AHUAcgBuAFUAcgBsAD0ATAB3AEIARQBBAEcAVQB BAFoAZwBCAGgAQQBIAFUAQQBiAEEAQgAwAEEAQwA0AEEAWQBRA EIAegBBAEgAQQBBAGUAQQBBAHMAbABhAHMAaABBAEgAQQBBAFA AUQBBAHgAQQBEAEkAQQBPAEEAQQB6AEEARABNAEEA)

Doug Loudenback
12-10-2009, 10:38 AM
Steve & Jack's 1st book signing event occurred yesterday evening at the Skirvin and another such event is scheduled for this evening at the Red Pin Bowling Lounge in lower Bricktown, sponsored by Urban Neighbors. My review of the book is here: Doug Dawgz Blog: Skirvin (http://dougdawg.blogspot.com/2009/12/skirvin.html) and isn't it nice to be returning to topics other than the vote which shall not be named ...

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/skirvin/book/blogpost.jpg

Take care to read the last paragraph, above. This book is already in short supply and will not likely last for very many days, perhaps even ending as early as this evening at the Urban Neighbors event. If you are serious about wanting a copy, you'd better move quickly.

Urbanized
12-10-2009, 12:48 PM
If you didn't make it last night there will be a signing in conjunction with the Urban Neighbors social at Red Pin Bowling Lounge this PM. We will also have copies of Steve and Jack's "OKC: Second Time Around" and Steve's "Bricktown." Of course we have all of these in stock daily at Oklahoma's Red Dirt Emporium (http://www.reddirtemporium.com). Thanks for indulging my shameless plug.

Urbanized
12-10-2009, 12:50 PM
Oh, one last thing: with every copy of "Skirvin" sold we are donating an Oklahoma-themed 8" plush stuffed animal to Urban Neighbors' toy drive.

Doug Loudenback
12-10-2009, 01:24 PM
If you didn't make it last night there will be a signing in conjunction with the Urban Neighbors social at Red Pin Bowling Lounge this PM.
Urbanized, my friend, I already said that (above). Since you missed it, I again emphasize that this book is nearly sold out already. Much more than half of the 1000 available copies area already gone and no assurance exists that more will become available in the future. But as to "shameless plugs," no shame exists in plugging your fine Red Dirt Emporium (http://www.reddirtemporium.com/). Not ever! What a cool shop you guys maintain, right here in River City!

Steve
12-10-2009, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the kind words Doug. It's true - we had more than 500 pre-sold much to our amazement with orders coming in from all over the state. For our first book Full Circle printed 2,000 copies. This time around only 1,000 were sold, and I'm not hearing anything yet about a second printing. There could be one - but we just don't know. Certainly it appears that if things keep going as they are, there will be a period of time even with a second printing when the books will be very hard to find.

Urbanized
12-10-2009, 01:29 PM
Dangit Doug, not sure how I missed that. Thanks for the mention! Just for that I'll bring over some Springlake books.

Doug Loudenback
12-10-2009, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the kind words Doug. It's true - we had more than 500 pre-sold much to our amazement with orders coming in from all over the state. For our first book Full Circle printed 2,000 copies. This time around only 1,000 were sold, and I'm not hearing anything yet about a second printing. There could be one - but we just don't know. Certainly it appears that if things keep going as they are, there will be a period of time even with a second printing when the books will be very hard to find.
For clarity, let me help out my friend Steve. When he said, "For our first book Full Circle printed 2,000 copies," by that, he was referring to his 2006 OKC: 2nd Time Around and not the 2009 Skirvin book, for which only 1000 have been printed, more than half of which have already been spoken for. Whether or not more will be printed is not his call -- that decision belongs to the publisher.

Doug Loudenback
12-10-2009, 01:43 PM
Dangit Doug, not sure how I missed that. Thanks for the mention! Just for that I'll bring over some Springlake books.
No need. My book wasn't that much of a draw. I'm all for promoting Oklahoma City and its history and there aren't better books around for that than Jack & Steve's books. They are just that good.

Steve
12-10-2009, 01:43 PM
Thanks Doug!
Have I mentioned I missed some much needed sleep this past week due to a little fuss involving Homeland Security?
:bedtime:

Doug Loudenback
12-10-2009, 01:48 PM
I've talked to you at length about my sleep apnea. I'm SO ... SO ...SO ... VERY SORRY that you're missed some sleep ... what a/an __________ (you fill in the blank). :numchucks Probably, your South Korean book shipment contained some secretly hidden weapons of mass destruction, or links to the same. Homeland Security has got you guys pegged!

Just kidding, my friend, as I'm sure that you know. I, your humble servant, can only bow at your feet. :bow:

jbrown84
12-10-2009, 01:52 PM
What is the asking price?

Doug Loudenback
12-10-2009, 02:04 PM
$39.95 plus tax. It ain't cheap, but it would have been over $50 but for being printed in South Korea. Buy it ... if it's not already sold out.

Steve
12-10-2009, 03:17 PM
Doug, I'll match your ongoing sleep apnea w/ me having two very rambunctious sons.

Doug Loudenback
12-10-2009, 04:25 PM
Doug, I'll match your ongoing sleep apnea w/ me having two very rambunctious sons.
Bring 'em on. I'll lock 'em up in a room with a pair of NotThisMaps supporters and then drift off to sleep, now and then. If I can sleep through parts of the few Thunder games that I've managed to attend, and, even when we're winning, drop off to sleep, I can handle your problem too. Just give them fair warning that they will just have to learn how to take care of themselves.

And quit being such a wus.

Kidding.

CCOKC
12-10-2009, 05:08 PM
I got my copy last night at the book signing. I have not as yet read it but have looked at all the pretty pictures inside. It looks very well done and I can't wait to sit down and actually read it this weekend. Congratulations to all involved, esp you Steve.

lhendrix
12-10-2009, 05:38 PM
My boss, Gary Berlin owner of the Mideke went to the signing last night at the Skirvin and purchased SKIRVIN. He admits he has a very hard time putting it down. Being the history buff he is, he is enjoyng this well written book.It is packed with information and photography. Be sure and get your copy before they are gone... Sounds like the perfect Christmas Gift. I visited the Skirvin in 1971 as a wide eyed country teenager. It impacted me for the rest of my life. I had never imagined something existed like this. I look forward to getting my own copy. Check out this video.

NewsOK (http://newsok.com/multimedia/video/55018956001)

Congratulations guys, you have once again produced a masterpiece.