View Full Version : MAPS Fundraising Reports

betts
12-01-2009, 04:28 AM
Three Oklahoma City MAPS 3 campaigns file fundraising reports
BY JOHN ESTUS
Published: December 1, 2009

MAPS 3 supporters have given more than $283,000 to the Yes for MAPS campaign supporting the Oklahoma City initiative, according to fundraising reports filed with the city.

Maps 3 at a Glance

MAPS 3 campaign fundraising and spending
Yes For MAPS
Contributions: $283,381
Expenditures: $223,117

Top donors

Devon Energy Corp.: $100,000

Forward Oklahoma City III: $50,000

Oklahoma Gas and Electric Co.: $50,000

Oklahoma City Metropolitan Association of Realtors, Inc.: $10,000

Improve OKC’s Horse Show Facilities: $8,139

Jacobs Engineering: $7,000

Arvest Bank: $5,000

BOK Financial Corp. Political Action Committee: $5,000

The Geary Companies Inc.: $5,000

Paramedics Plus LLC: $5,000

Not This MAPS
Contributions: $120,250
Expenditures: $71,892

Top donors

International Association of Firefighters Local 157: $60,000

Fraternal Order of Police Lodge 123: $60,000

Modern Transit Project
Contributions: $12,799
Expenditures: $12,723

Top donors

Apache Corp.: $3,500

Walter Jacques: $1,650

Jeff Bezdek: $1,570

Source: Oklahoma City Clerk’s Office; Campaign Contributions and Expenditures Reports

The campaign opposing MAPS 3, Not This MAPS, isn’t as well-funded, raising $120,250 almost entirely through donations from public safety unions, the reports show.

Yes for MAPS has spent more than $223,000 as of Nov. 23, mostly on advertising.

Not This MAPS has spent more than $71,000, mostly on campaign materials.

The Modern Transit Project, a committee supporting MAPS 3’s transit initiatives, has spent nearly all of the $12,799 it has raised.

State ethics laws require any group advocating for or against a city ballot initiative to register with the city clerk’s office as a campaign committee once its expenditures exceed $500. MAPS 3 campaign committee fundraising and expenditure reports from Sept. 29 until Nov. 23 were due by 5 p.m. Monday.

The Yes for MAPS campaign’s top donor so far is Devon Energy Corp. which has given $100,000. Oklahoma Gas and Electric Co. has given $50,000.

The Greater Oklahoma City Chamber’s Forward Oklahoma City III economic development program also gave $50,000 to the Yes for MAPS campaign. "Fundraising is going quite well. People are really interested and passionate about passing this,” said Roy Williams, chamber president. "We’re continuing to raise money.”

The Not This MAPS campaign’s only major donors are the city’s police and firefighter unions, which each gave $60,000. Not This MAPS has raised just $250 on top of the union donations.

"We’re pleased where we stand financially. If we get any more campaign contributions, we’d certainly put it to good use,” said Phil Sipe, chairman of the Not This MAPS campaign and president of the city firefighter union. "We will take volunteers any time over the money.”

The city’s police and firefighter unions organized Not This MAPS.

Other opposition hasn’t filed
A coalition of taxpayer groups opposing MAPS 3 has not filed as a campaign committee.
The coalition, known as KillTheMapsTax.com, includes various local tea party groups and other taxpayer advocacy groups.

It is campaigning alongside Not This Maps supporters.

Its Web site says it is seeking to raise $3,500 for a mailing.

A spokesman for the coalition, former Republican state Rep. Porter Davis, said last week that the groups don’t plan to register as a campaign committee because any donations they receive will be funneled through a national group, Campaign For Liberty, which would also handle the mailing.

Campaign For Liberty, an advocacy group for constitutional issues founded by U.S. Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, is subject to the same ethics requirements as other groups and must register with the city as a campaign committee if it spends more than $500 on its MAPS 3 campaign, said Marilyn Hughes, executive director of the state Ethics Commission.

Campaign For Liberty had not filed as a campaign committee with the city as of 5 p.m. Monday.

A Campaign For Liberty official did not return calls Monday seeking comment about its fundraising plans.

Read more: NewsOK (http://www.newsok.com/three-maps-3-campaigns-file-fundraising-reports/article/3421660?custom_click=lead_story_title#ixzz0YR3Zko4 U)

Easy180
12-01-2009, 04:35 AM
Apache Corp vs Devon....Wonder who will win that one?

3 to 1 advertising will be hard to overcome for the naysayers

betts
12-01-2009, 04:44 AM
People will probably jump all over the Chamber donations, but I believe those are from private individuals. I know I donated to both the Chamber and MTP for their MAPS fundraising.

andy157
12-01-2009, 04:58 AM

3 to 1 advertising will be hard to overcome for the naysayersI think your right easy, the YES folks have got this one in the bag. It's over, I bet they're up by 40 + points

betts
12-01-2009, 05:56 AM
It's hard to tell what advertising does. I think whether or not people go to the polls is important, and I don't know if advertising gets them out to vote.

kevinpate
12-01-2009, 07:27 AM
Not This MAPS

Top donors

The huge groundswell we keep hearing about, over and over, the one that is supposedly destined to shock the city by its alleged overwhelming support, has raised a sum total of 250.00 over and above what the union based donations?

Certainly not a reason for the YES side to become complacent in the efforts to make sure yes voters go to the polls, as there is never a reason to forfiet your position to apathy.

However, I was anticipating at least some folks were chipping in more than a a mcdouble here and there in addition to the union contributions. maybe they all chipped in post report deadline. Dunno.

DavidGlover
12-02-2009, 12:02 AM
The raw financial information: Maps 3 Money (davidhglover) (http://sites.google.com/site/davidhglover/reverserobinhood/maps-3-money)

andy157
12-02-2009, 12:58 AM
The huge groundswell we keep hearing about, over and over, the one that is supposedly destined to shock the city by its alleged overwhelming support, has raised a sum total of 250.00 over and above what the union based donations?

Certainly not a reason for the YES side to become complacent in the efforts to make sure yes voters go to the polls, as there is never a reason to forfiet your position to apathy.

However, I was anticipating at least some folks were chipping in more than a a mcdouble here and there in addition to the union contributions. maybe they all chipped in post report deadline. Dunno.Looked like the Skirven ended up with more of the MTP funds than MTP did.

LakeEffect
12-02-2009, 06:01 AM

Apache is on the same side as Devon... both pro-Maps 3.

iron76hd
12-02-2009, 06:47 AM
I think your right easy, the YES folks have got this one in the bag. It's over, I bet they're up by 40 + points
I know. I just hope we make it close. LOL:beaten_fi

Midtowner
12-02-2009, 06:50 AM
I think your right easy, the YES folks have got this one in the bag. It's over, I bet they're up by 40 + points

All of the Chamber's polling to date has 'yes' up over 10 points.

It still comes down to turnout though.

And beyond union members and their families, I don't think people are going to show up to vote against something. That's one of the problems with this 'no' campaign -- it should have been framed as being in favor of something else or in favor of something rather than simply blocking MAPS.

iron76hd
12-02-2009, 06:57 AM
All of the Chamber's polling to date has 'yes' up over 10 points.

I don't know where you got that info, but do people that are winning by 10 points DOUBLE DOWN in campaign funds the week before the election?

LOL....

LordGerald
12-02-2009, 07:56 AM
This shows that the cop and fire unions don't have their priorities in order. They are holding out for a one percent raise, yet spend 100K on bumper stickers and postcards. Hypocrisy.

andy157
12-02-2009, 08:02 AM
This shows that the cop and fire unions don't have their priorities in order. They are holding out for a one percent raise, yet spend 100K on bumper stickers and postcards. Hypocrisy.Think of them what you will, but why do you and others keep throwing out comments like "They are holding out for a 1% raise"?

gmwise
12-02-2009, 08:23 AM
Simply having more money doesnt make a victory or right.
This is the same type of thinking the keeps voters home"well its over", then they get pissed off if their guy or issue is defeated.
Never ever take victory for granted, it takes less time to vote then to sit in a drive thru waiting for a burger.

Golfer
12-02-2009, 09:52 AM
Three Oklahoma City MAPS 3 campaigns file fundraising reports
BY JOHN ESTUS
Published: December 1, 2009

MAPS 3 supporters have given more than $283,000 to the Yes for MAPS campaign supporting the Oklahoma City initiative, according to fundraising reports filed with the city.

Maps 3 at a Glance

MAPS 3 campaign fundraising and spending
Yes For MAPS
Contributions: $283,381
Expenditures: $223,117

Top donors

Devon Energy Corp.: $100,000

Forward Oklahoma City III: $50,000

Oklahoma Gas and Electric Co.: $50,000

Oklahoma City Metropolitan Association of Realtors, Inc.: $10,000

Improve OKC’s Horse Show Facilities: $8,139

Jacobs Engineering: $7,000

Arvest Bank: $5,000

BOK Financial Corp. Political Action Committee: $5,000

The Geary Companies Inc.: $5,000

Paramedics Plus LLC: $5,000

Not This MAPS

Top donors

Modern Transit Project
Contributions: $12,799
Expenditures: $12,723

Top donors

Apache Corp.: $3,500

Walter Jacques: $1,650

Jeff Bezdek: $1,570

Source: Oklahoma City Clerk’s Office; Campaign Contributions and Expenditures Reports

The campaign opposing MAPS 3, Not This MAPS, isn’t as well-funded, raising $120,250 almost entirely through donations from public safety unions, the reports show.

Yes for MAPS has spent more than $223,000 as of Nov. 23, mostly on advertising.

Not This MAPS has spent more than $71,000, mostly on campaign materials.

The Modern Transit Project, a committee supporting MAPS 3’s transit initiatives, has spent nearly all of the $12,799 it has raised.

State ethics laws require any group advocating for or against a city ballot initiative to register with the city clerk’s office as a campaign committee once its expenditures exceed $500. MAPS 3 campaign committee fundraising and expenditure reports from Sept. 29 until Nov. 23 were due by 5 p.m. Monday.

The Yes for MAPS campaign’s top donor so far is Devon Energy Corp. which has given $100,000. Oklahoma Gas and Electric Co. has given $50,000.

The Greater Oklahoma City Chamber’s Forward Oklahoma City III economic development program also gave $50,000 to the Yes for MAPS campaign. "Fundraising is going quite well. People are really interested and passionate about passing this,” said Roy Williams, chamber president. "We’re continuing to raise money.”

The Not This MAPS campaign’s only major donors are the city’s police and firefighter unions, which each gave $60,000. Not This MAPS has raised just $250 on top of the union donations.

"We’re pleased where we stand financially. If we get any more campaign contributions, we’d certainly put it to good use,” said Phil Sipe, chairman of the Not This MAPS campaign and president of the city firefighter union. "We will take volunteers any time over the money.”

The city’s police and firefighter unions organized Not This MAPS.

Other opposition hasn’t filed
A coalition of taxpayer groups opposing MAPS 3 has not filed as a campaign committee.
The coalition, known as KillTheMapsTax.com, includes various local tea party groups and other taxpayer advocacy groups.

It is campaigning alongside Not This Maps supporters.

Its Web site says it is seeking to raise $3,500 for a mailing.

A spokesman for the coalition, former Republican state Rep. Porter Davis, said last week that the groups don’t plan to register as a campaign committee because any donations they receive will be funneled through a national group, Campaign For Liberty, which would also handle the mailing.

Campaign For Liberty, an advocacy group for constitutional issues founded by U.S. Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, is subject to the same ethics requirements as other groups and must register with the city as a campaign committee if it spends more than $500 on its MAPS 3 campaign, said Marilyn Hughes, executive director of the state Ethics Commission.

Campaign For Liberty had not filed as a campaign committee with the city as of 5 p.m. Monday.

A Campaign For Liberty official did not return calls Monday seeking comment about its fundraising plans.

Read more: NewsOK (http://www.newsok.com/three-maps-3-campaigns-file-fundraising-reports/article/3421660?custom_click=lead_story_title#ixzz0YR3Zko4 U)

These amounts do not include what the Chamber of commerece has spent on TV ads with the citizens taxes from the Hotel tax, thanks for asking COC on how to spent that money, why not give some to the no side for TV ads, Oh that would be too fair. I hope people learn from this election that money cannot buy everything especially this election. Read the ballot: Quote The Ordinance states the tax may be expended only for providing "City capital improvement". The Ordinance states expenditures to provide City capital improvements may include expenditures for any or all item(s), article(s), cost(s). or expense(s) related in any way to providing a City capital improvement. The key word is may, where they afraid to use the words will or shall. Oh will or shall would imply that they would have to use the money in the described manner, the word may leaves them a out.

jbrown84
12-04-2009, 03:15 PM
$250?? That's all?

That's some show of support...

andy157
12-04-2009, 10:02 PM
When it's all said and done, I wonder who will spend the most on a cost per vote basis. I will also be curious to see the in-kind totals. We know the Fire and Police will end up spending around $120,000. I'm thinking the yes camps expenditures will be around 1.8 mil. (maybe 2 mil.)

andy157
12-04-2009, 10:05 PM
$250?? That's all?

That's some show of support...Like I told easy180, you guys have got this one in the bag.

soonerguru
12-04-2009, 10:07 PM

Ahem. They're on the same side. They're both pro-MAPS.

tehvipir
12-04-2009, 11:28 PM
no one said we can match the FINAINCIAL leaders dollar for dollar but what we lack in money we make up in heart. The polling i did i got 84 no to 22 yes. i dont see where you get your numbers.

Tier2City
12-05-2009, 10:23 AM
no one said we can match the FINAINCIAL leaders dollar for dollar but what we lack in money we make up in heart. The polling i did i got 84 no to 22 yes. i dont see where you get your numbers.

Impressive numbers. Even the non-existent vote.

kevinpate
12-05-2009, 11:01 AM
Like I told easy180, you guys have got this one in the bag.

Aw Andy, you know better. Not a bad tactic to try, but you know better.

I think my favorite fun type of tactic I have seen is the NTM supporter who regularly posts how NTM is going to prevail, hugely even, but then also posts like someone running far far behind in their own polling, hurling insults, and crying over an absence of a debate.

After all, when was the last time, in any race, someone saw a front runner candidate or position beg for a debate?

I have to admit it made me chuckle.

iron76hd
12-05-2009, 11:28 AM
I have never seen a group of people campaign for something they know will LOSE Money. It's just plain crazy. All I can do is scratch my head and laugh.

Ask yourself this.

If I came to you and said give me your money and I'm going to build a busniess that will LOSE money and eventually go bankrupt. Would You? I said I am sure it's a terrible business. They've tried it in other cities and it's FAILED miserably. Would you give me the money?:LolLolLol

I hope i know the answer, but that's what you are doing. I mean forget Police, Fire, and your city services. What about All of the other stuff?

The water rapids and aquatic centers are basically Private business. They have failed in other cities. So give me your money to start a proven failing business. LOL...

The rail will have to subsidized EVERY YEAR with YOUR TAX DOLLARS. So will the Aquatic Centers and White water rapids. You already know that. Forget about the UNION GOONS. They are fools.

I can buy the CC will possibly make us money. Even though it polled low. I could buy that. The walking trails. I believe that could be good for those of us that use them. I can buy that's good for quality of life. Unfortunately, I can vote on one item at a time. That was done on purpose! I have to go all or nothing just like you.

VOTE YES,

Yes. take my tax dollars for the next 7 years and build a rail system that I know will lose this city money EVERY year. I know my tax dollars will have to wasted on keeping this project going EVERY year.

Yes. take my tax dollars for a Senior aquatics center that I know will LOSE money every year. It will never turn a profit! I know.. Take my money anyway.

Yes. take my money and build a park that will never make any money. I know it's ok. Take my money it's cool. I plan to use it a couple of times a year. Give the homeless a place to sleep. I'll only go during the day so my family and I will be safe. Take my money, Please

Yes. take my money. I know you are predicting revenues 8 million dollars higher than the BEST year we've ever had. You are doing it when we've had below projections for the last 9 months straight. I know this but take my money. I know it sounds crazy to the NO idiots, but I believe it will happen. I have faith (fingers crossed). I know the unemployement rate is up AGAIN.this month..blah blah blah. I know the top economists from all over the country say this recession will take this country years to recover. BLAH BLAH. They Mayor and Chamber have the inside track...I trust them. They are both smart..Take my money!

Yes. I know 80% plus of the jobs created will be temporary and will be to illegal aliens. That's cool. It's still jobs! better than nothing. Take my money. Pretty Please.

Yes. I know the ballot language is vague. I know the current city leaders still haven't spent the money the way I voted and gave them in bond issues almost 10 years ago, but I trust them. They have to do what they say on their commercials. I mean the MAYOR is going to appoint a oversight board to make sure he does it right. :LolLolLol

So forget everything else... I VOTE YES! :LolLolLol

Man those NO dudes are idiots!!!!!! They just don't get it! Union Goons!

Come on. Get real. VOTE NO

jbrown84
12-05-2009, 12:24 PM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

kevinpate
12-05-2009, 01:48 PM
:omg:

Just hit me. If the fundraising arm of the NTM crowd is similar to the forum crowd of the NTM folk, it is easier to understand why the NTM dinna raise more than 250.00 beyond the contributions from the two unions.

:LolLolLol

soonerguru
12-05-2009, 02:48 PM
:omg:

Just hit me. If the fundraising arm of the NTM crowd is similar to the forum crowd of the NTM folk, it is easier to understand why the NTM dinna raise more than 250.00 beyond the contributions from the two unions.

Yes, they are great at providing unintentional comedy, but can you imagine them actually asking for money?

andy157
12-05-2009, 08:55 PM
Aw Andy, you know better. Not a bad tactic to try, but you know better.

I think my favorite fun type of tactic I have seen is the NTM supporter who regularly posts how NTM is going to prevail, hugely even, but then also posts like someone running far far behind in their own polling, hurling insults, and crying over an absence of a debate.

After all, when was the last time, in any race, someone saw a front runner candidate or position beg for a debate?

I have to admit it made me chuckle.I was hoping no one would catch on.