View Full Version : Ralph Ellison library reopening

betts
12-01-2009, 04:23 AM
I thought this was great to read. I remember being introduced to Ralph Ellison as an author in college, and my neighborhood of Deep Deuce is his old stomping grounds, which I think is very cool.

Renovated Ralph Ellison Library set to begin a new chapter
BY CHRIS SCHUTZ
Published: December 1, 2009

Patrons of the Ralph Ellison Library will get a chance to check out the building’s new look starting Dec. 14. The public is invited to a 2 p.m. ribbon-cutting ceremony to mark the reopening of the library, 2000 NE 23. The building has been closed a year for renovations. The library has been operating at a temporary location at 1918 NE 23. That location closed Monday.

The renovated library will boast a new 2,650-square-foot meeting area, which can be split into two separate meeting rooms, said Kim Terry, director of marketing and communications for the Metropolitan Library System. A large meeting room was a top priority of community leaders who were polled about library needs, Terry said. In the poll, patrons said "they want to get some speakers who are well-known,” she said. The $2 million renovation was funded from a general obligation bond approved by Oklahoma City voters in 2000. The library will also have a new foyer with space for special exhibits. There are also new rest rooms and a reconfigured children’s area, Terry said.

Other features of the library include a self-service system for checking out reserved materials. Patrons may reserve and check out materials from anywhere in the Metropolitan Library System. During the two-week period between the closing of the temporary site and the opening of the renovated building, patrons may use any other library in the system, Terry said. The closest libraries to Ralph Ellison are the Midwest City Library, 8143 E Reno Ave., and the Downtown Library, 300 Park Ave., she said.

Patrons are eager for the reopening of the library at its regular location, Terry said. "They love their Ralph Ellison Library. They’re ready to get back to their home.”

Read more: NewsOK (http://www.newsok.com/renovated-ralph-ellison-library-set-to-begin-a-new-chapter/article/3421673?custom_click=headlines_widget#ixzz0YR2OXID E)

betts
12-01-2009, 05:55 AM
I've been thinking about why we don't have a African American history museum in Oklahoma City, and the piece about the Ralph Ellison library made me think about Deep Deuce's rich history. That's something that could be sited in that area, or neaby. Has anyone heard of a push to create one?

USG '60
12-01-2009, 06:19 AM
I've been thinking about why we don't have a African American history museum in Oklahoma City, and the piece about the Ralph Ellison library made me think about Deep Deuce's rich history. That's something that could be sited in that area, or neaby. Has anyone heard of a push to create one?

Amen to the concept.

CCOKC
12-02-2009, 10:35 PM
There are people out there with the idea it's just a matter if they can get it done financially. It is a concept that is long overdue in this city. I never learned the black history of this city until a few years ago, thanks to Doug Dawg of course. It is a shame it is not even touched upon in schools but neither of my children even took OK history in High School so I am not sure where they would learn it if not from me. I told my son the story of the sit ins that were started by Clara Luper and he did not even believe me until we went to the OK History Center and they have an exhibit complete with a depiction of the lunch counter from Katz. I wish someone with some financial clout could purchase the old Calvary Baptist Church in Deep Deuce and turn it into a Museum. I has such an important role in the city's past and needs to be preserved before it is too late.

MikeOKC
12-02-2009, 10:47 PM
Why not place it where it SHOULD BE - at the Oklahoma History Museum? Black history is part of Oklahoma history. To the extent it hasn't been taught enough, then teach it at the Oklahoma museum. Why do we feel we need to segregate everything? That is the opposite of King's dream, is it not? Since multi-culturalism has worked out so well, why not a museum for every other minority group that has contributed to Oklahoma history? I don't like this idea at all. It's all a part of Oklahoma history, period.

Betts, you mentioned a museum for black history in Oklahoma City. We don't have a museum for Oklahoma City history...at all! The same applies to what I wrote above. Why not an Oklahoma City History Museum? And have a section on black history if deemed necessary. But it's all Oklahoma City history.