View Full Version : The ultimate OKlahoma City experience.

RedDirt717
11-30-2009, 10:10 PM
I had a friend coming into town for the first time this last weekend and really racked my brain to come up with a great itinerary of events, and activities to show him and his girlfriend while they were here.

If you had someone very close coming to town for the weekend what would you show them to really capture the "Ultimate Oklahoma City" experience? Also label it for the audience (20s-30s, family, etc)

Write yours down, this is what we all did. With the girl I'm dating.

Mid 20's

Friday:

-Erma's Burgers after picking them up from the airport.
-Pictures at the state capitol.
-Dinner at Earl's
-Drinks at JJ's alley
-Thunder game
-America's Pub
-Bobo's Chicken

Saturday:

-Tour of OU's campus
-Lunch at "In the Raw"
-Bombing memorial
-Oklahoma Art Museum
-Dinner at Red Prime
-Cigar and Drinks at Makers
-Rok Bar/Wormy Dog
-Bobo's Chicken

Sunday:
Sleep
Tarahumara's (Norman)
Hosty Solo at the Deli

They're both from the Northeast (Maine and New Jersey), they said if they could find a job here they'd move here in a heartbeat, they really enjoyed the people and food. They both bought a bunch of OKC Thunder gear and OU football shirts, they really, really liked pace of life, they've grown tired of the loud, dirty, angry NorthEast crowd and couldn't stop taling about how everyone here was so positive.

Blazerfan11
11-30-2009, 10:11 PM
Take your Bobo's Chicken and eat it on the Capital steps. I've done that several times with out of State friends, and it is close to a spiritual experience :-)

Blazerfan11
11-30-2009, 10:13 PM
Oh yah, instead of makers you should take them to Tobacco Exchange. It is cheaper, better selection, and always a very interesting crowd and good conversations. Lots of people with lots of good okc stories go there on a regular basis, you will not be disappointed.

RedDirt717
11-30-2009, 10:19 PM
Oh yah, instead of makers you should take them to Tobacco Exchange. It is cheaper, better selection, and always a very interesting crowd and good conversations. Lots of people with lots of good okc stories go there on a regular basis, you will not be disappointed.

In the French Market right? I thought they just sold cigars and pipe tobacco? My friend wanted some brandy with the cigar.

We both had Fuente' Sungrowns, couldn't believe they had them in stock.

z28james
11-30-2009, 10:39 PM
The out of towners that I have hosted loved brick town, red pin, coaches, OU, Thunder, ZOO, Cattlemans. I am the Store manager of a certain toy store in Penn Square Mall that people drive from Kansas, Nebraska, Missouri, Arkansas, and West Texas to come shop at that always leave happy. But what is cool is I'll ask families from out of state why they are visiting OKC, they will say my store, then they will ask what else is there to do here? That's when I get yall's ideas and then the families will visit my store one last time before they leave usually and ALWAYS say how much fun they had at places like Bricktown, the Zoo, and Omniplex to name a few. So its good to hear families having fun here.