View Full Version : Any wild storys of shopping on "BLACK FRIDAY" ?

grantgeneral78
11-27-2009, 08:45 PM
Holy crap I went with thw wife and daughter today for my first Black Friday event.

It was the worst day of my life!

People were laying on stuff they wanted or holding there hands on the item for hours like it was a claim on the land run.

When the 5AM bell rang! It was like a small town erupted into war. Scared the crap out of me.

I know this thread wont last long I was just curious to see if anyone enjoyed this nearly as much as me ...grrrr

MikeOKC
11-27-2009, 08:52 PM
Holy crap I went with thw wife and daughter today for my first Black Friday event.

It was the worst day of my life!

People were laying on stuff they wanted or holding there hands on the item for hours like it was a claim on the land run.

When the 5AM bell rang! It was like a small town erupted into war. Scared the crap out of me.

I know this thread wont last long I was just curious to see if anyone enjoyed this nearly as much as me ...grrrr

I waited until the afternoon and went to a few places and still got some good bargains. I was at Borders and they said it had been an extremely slow day for Black Friday. One salesperson said it was like a "kinda busy Saturday any other time of the year." They were ready for a rush that never happened. For a company on the brink, I hope their other stores across the country did better.

I heard tonight that it might have been the busiest day for credit card usage on the Internet in history. That can't be good news for all but the biggest brick and mortar stores. Come to think of it, the same B&M stores who have a large web presence as well.

Times are a changin'

PennyQuilts
11-28-2009, 04:19 AM
I'll shop online (and did) but the crowds are too much for me.

kevinpate
11-28-2009, 07:57 AM
I don't do black Friday, but elder son in 'bama did. He went at midnight for a 32 in tv at target, with store opening time 5 am. At least it's slightly less cold there than here in the wee hours.

Down there they were making them form separate lines based on a particular item (to avoid the rush crush like what killed someone at a wally world up north last year (or was that 07?) As a poppa, I liked hearing that.

He sent us a text at 12:20 am that said '2nd in line for the tv. I win.' He is rather happy with the purchase, though I'm sure target was hoping he had set his eyes on more than that one prize. Wouldn't have been me even if the price was 10 bucks, but he is happy, and since his roomie moved off, and his old tv up here was sketchy at best, he is very very happy.

Generals64
11-28-2009, 09:03 AM
We (TG&Y) never called it Black Friday, this was the day we began Frantically getting out the Christmas Merchandise and decorating the store.....but even in the early 60's it was total chaos. Had a lot of fun. remember someone buying too much "Blue Waltz" Perfume....To the guys it is VERY Cheap perfume......and we sold NONE of it through the season...On Christmas Eve some guy came it Drunk and said he needed something for his wife....Perfume? I asked...that'll do it. remember this is in '62 when a dollar was a dollar and
Blue Waltz was 99cents for a five piece gift set.....Long story short....He bought $110.00 worthof Blue Waltz for his wife....Told him we'd do "Free" Gaift Wrap.....Got a nickle raise for that sell.....Welcome to Christmas Folks..............

kevinpate
11-28-2009, 09:18 AM
We (TG&Y) never called it Black Friday, this was the day we began Frantically getting out the Christmas Merchandise and decorating the store.....but even in the early 60's it was total chaos. Had a lot of fun. remember someone buying too much "Blue Waltz" Perfume....To the guys it is VERY Cheap perfume......and we sold NONE of it through the season...On Christmas Eve some guy came it Drunk and said he needed something for his wife....Perfume? I asked...that'll do it. remember this is in '62 when a dollar was a dollar and
Blue Waltz was 99cents for a five piece gift set.....Long story short....He bought $110.00 worthof Blue Waltz for his wife....Told him we'd do "Free" Gaift Wrap.....Got a nickle raise for that sell.....Welcome to Christmas Folks..............

When I was younger, an older brother was in retail. They were well stocked on Stretch Armstrongs, a year too late apparently. they were practically begging folks in the aisles to take one.

Saw a camp store once that somehow got saddled with some type of pickle flavored salt. Couldn't give it away ... until someone came up with the idea of buy 3 of X and we'll drop a pickle salt in the sack too. Kiddos ignored, but bargain hunting adults were all over it. I think his soda comps were increased the rest of the season for clearing that stuff out.

Midtowner
11-28-2009, 09:25 AM
Back in my retail days, I spent Black Fridays behind a sales counter... it was a pretty hectic day, lots of crowd control. It's not uncommon for folks to leave vomit on your floor or other sorts of 'presents.'

Nowadays, if I do actually venture out on that day, it's after sleeping in.

I don't care how much more money I spend. Avoiding that sort of chaos is well worth it.

MadMonk
11-28-2009, 09:28 PM
Last year was my first attempt at getting a BF deal. I spent two frigid hours waiting in line at a Office Depot for a cheap laptop. I was roughly the 25th person in line. When they started handing out coupons for the purchase down the line, they stopped after 10 people. I just went home after that.

This year, I thought I'd check out the midnight sale at ToysRUs. I got there at 10:30 and the line was nearly down to the other end of the strip mall. What I as shopping for wasn't worth that much of a hassle to me so I left. There was a steady stream of cars heading into the parking lot as I was leaving. The line must have been around the side of the building by the time they opened.

Here's where the line was when I left:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Mad_Monk/Monk/ToysRUsBlackFriday01.jpg

There's ToysRUs waaaaaaaaaaay down at the other end of the strip mall:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Mad_Monk/Monk/ToysRUsBlackFriday02.jpg

Out of curiosity, on my way home I cruised by Best Buy and they had a bunch of people camping out with tents. The line was around the side of the building and they didn't open until 5:00am (this was around 11:15pm).
Hard core Best Buy shopper (first in line):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Mad_Monk/Monk/BestBuyBlackFriday.jpg

On an odd note, I also went by Ultimate Electronics and there was one lonely guy sitting there by the door. I guess they didn't have much of a sale. :kicking:

grantgeneral78
11-29-2009, 06:32 PM
It is a experience everyone needs to add to the bucket list. I told my wife I would never do it again, but she will probably sucker me into it.

Mad Monk I bet the guy at Ultimate felt silly sitting there then.

I did notice the crowds do not approve of them line cutters, they sure got a earfull!

Generals64
11-29-2009, 07:05 PM
It is a experience everyone needs to add to the bucket list. I told my wife I would never do it again, but she will probably sucker me into it.

Mad Monk I bet the guy at Ultimate felt silly sitting there then.

I did notice the crowds do not approve of them line cutters, they sure got a earfull!

================================================== ==============
While you were out shopping, I was out pulling siding off the old house....value:...$15.00 per board for remodelers....still a bunch there...I have completely remodeled a small house in the country using Dumpster Diving material...looks "Super Cool"...those were the words from my wifes mouth...Got it looking like an old line shack with old fece panels. Could do a complete remodel for very little. You have got to come and see what I have done.....Put 1 x 8 white pine for the Flooring...Lots great and cost very little..Someone that does things like this could make a big bunch of money if they could sell the owners on the motif...

Prunepicker
11-29-2009, 11:31 PM
I went shopping on Black Friday once. That's all it took. Never again!

Prunepicker
11-29-2009, 11:38 PM
... I have completely remodeled a small house in the country using Dumpster
Diving material... looks "Super Cool"... those were the words from my wifes
mouth... Got it looking like an old line shack with old fence panels. Could do a
complete remodel for very little.
Where were you when we spent $$$ on our remodel? Dang it! Prunette told
the contractor "Gut it!" I just hid in my music room with the dog and a
shotgun. 9 months of "when will it be over?"

Generals64
11-30-2009, 04:57 PM
================================================== ==============
While you were out shopping, I was out pulling siding off the old house....value:...$15.00 per board for remodelers....still a bunch there...I have completely remodeled a small house in the country using Dumpster Diving material...looks "Super Cool"...those were the words from my wifes mouth...Got it looking like an old line shack with old fece panels. Could do a complete remodel for very little. You have got to come and see what I have done.....Put 1 x 8 white pine for the Flooring...Lots great and cost very little..Someone that does things like this could make a big bunch of money if they could sell the owners on the motif...

================================================== ============
Hey '78:....located a bunch of Old Sheet Iron ( for the taking)...Call me...

PennyQuilts
11-30-2009, 06:21 PM

Probably drank it...

Generals64
11-30-2009, 06:48 PM
Probably drank it...

================================================== =================
Never thought about that. However, YOU are old enough (sorry) to remember that "Junk"....Got a wild idea later on and put the perfume in a water gun and shot (Unsuspecting) guys on the back pocket or somewhere where they wouldn't notice...Man that stuff stunk....finally got caught....Was funny though...

grantgeneral78
12-02-2009, 05:57 PM
================================================== ============
Hey '78:....located a bunch of Old Sheet Iron ( for the taking)...Call me...

Ok I will call ya tomorrow

papaOU
12-04-2009, 05:47 PM
================================================== =================
Never thought about that. However, YOU are old enough (sorry) to remember that "Junk"....Got a wild idea later on and put the perfume in a water gun and shot (Unsuspecting) guys on the back pocket or somewhere where they wouldn't notice...Man that stuff stunk....finally got caught....Was funny though...

Remember the "rotten egg" perfume?

grantgeneral78
12-05-2009, 07:37 AM
I remember you got it from Hecklers joke shop, are they still around?

CCOKC
12-05-2009, 08:57 PM
I remember Hecklers has a joke of the week telephone line. My sister and I used to call every week to get the new joke. They were always so corny but we loved them.

grantgeneral78
12-06-2009, 01:36 PM
I remember Hecklers has a joke of the week telephone line. My sister and I used to call every week to get the new joke. They were always so corny but we loved them.

Wow I completely forgot about that...I called it also, and yeah they were corny

Generals64
12-15-2009, 09:20 AM
Forgot about this thread....But, I did my "Black Friday" shopping for Prunepicker this year.....Waited outside the TA Truckstop for Hours to get his present. I was first in line....I was also Last in line.....Security tried to run me off but I held my ground .... I'll have it for Prunepicker this Saturday....