View Full Version : did the original maps have more information disclosed than maps 3?

soonerfan_in_okc
11-26-2009, 03:18 PM
Just curious, because i was only about 3 when that was voted on, haha. I just wanted to know what the differences were between the 2.

Larry OKC
11-26-2009, 05:16 PM
Quite a bit more...an amazing amount of detail for a Ballot...Doug has posted the ballots somewhere in these threads...the Oklahoman even had links (but if I recall, resolution was so bad, they were almost unreadable)...will try to dig some info up later (may take a while) and post

Doug Loudenback
11-26-2009, 05:30 PM
There were also more detailed drawings of proposed facilities, if I recall correctly.

How to rock
11-26-2009, 05:40 PM
Here is some information for you to consider.
1993 MAPS Ballot:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/content.newsok.com/documents/s29ballot1.pdf
Here is an article about 2009 ballot issue:
NewsOK (http://newsok.com/maps-3-ballot-wont-detail-individual-projects/article/3415497)

betts
11-26-2009, 06:35 PM
Of course a lot of us didn't pay much attention. I thought it was a bunch of foolishness at the time, to be honest with you. I'm very pleased to say how wrong I was.

kevinpate
11-26-2009, 06:47 PM
Just curious, because i was only about 3 when that was voted on, haha. I just wanted to know what the differences were between the 2.

language wise, detail wise, information overload wise and binding commitment wise, the difference, if not night and day, is at minimum late afternoon and well beyond dusk.

practical effect wise, probably not so much, but that does necessitate a bit of faith in current leadership, and some say not merely a bit, but huge honking bucket loads of faith..

Larry OKC
11-27-2009, 02:45 AM

Follow-up to my previous post

While many projects in the original MAPS Ballot were general (but all were listed), some were fairly specific (especially for a Ballot, am sure the actual Ordinance 20,045 had more specifics but don't have access to it). Provided courtesy of Metro & Doug on the 1st page of the "New info on MAPS 3" thread

http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-area-talk/19368-new-info-maps-3-a.html

From the 1993 MAPS Ballot:

Subsection
(B)(3) A baseball park meeting not less than "AAA" professional standards;

(B)(7) An indoor sports/convention facility meeting not less than National Hockey League (NHL) or National Basketball Association (NBA) standards.

(B)(8) All or part of a transportation system and/or related facilities to provide access between Interste Highway 40 and Meridian Avenue and downtown Oklahoma City; provided, said system and/or facilities shall be funded only if a Federal grant covering not less than 50% of applicable costs is obtained.

The ballot had a few supplemental projects listed if funding didn't run out on the main ones:

(C)(1) Additional improvements to the Oklahoma City Fairgrounds ...

(C)(2) All or part of a transportation system and/or related facilities to provide access between downtown oklahoma City and the vicinity of Remington Park, provided said system and/or facilities shall be funded only if a Federal grant covering not less than 50% of applicable costs is obtained.

(C)(3) Art, natural history, history, cultural, or educational museums and/or facilities;

What projects are listed and what details do we have about those projects in the MAPS 3 ballot?

There was no computer glitch, the quote box is empty because none of the projects are included. Just a generic "capital improvement" term.