View Full Version : What are your favorite Thanksgiving foods?

Prunepicker
11-24-2009, 01:07 PM
Two things!
1. What are your favorite Thanksgiving foods?

2. What will you really, really miss if it's not there?

My faves are Mom's sweet potatoes, cornbread dressing and the real
cranberry sauce out of a can. Next is pie. Sweet potato! But it really
doesn't matter!

What will I really, really miss if it isn't there? Lot's of family!

PennyQuilts
11-24-2009, 01:23 PM
I like dressing and mashed potatoes. And pecan pie.

Generals64
11-24-2009, 02:53 PM
I like dressing and mashed potatoes. And pecan pie.

================================================== ===========
I like the dressing, Mashed Potatoes and a Turkey Sandwich in the evening with a piece of Coconut Cream Pie.....

papaOU
11-24-2009, 03:32 PM
I like the dressing, Mashed Potatoes and a Turkey Sandwich in the evening with a piece of Coconut Cream Pie.....

Candied yams, apple (some call it waldorf) salad, pistachio salad.

I would really miss baked ham. Not that big of a turkey eater.

kevinpate
11-24-2009, 05:57 PM
I like most anything infused with love for family, but I'm somewhat confident there are certain foods which are simply too dense to permit any infusion of love.

PennyQuilts
11-24-2009, 06:02 PM
Squash sucks.

Generals64
11-24-2009, 06:21 PM
Squash sucks.

================================================== ============
Now wait a minute:....you take the Squash and quarter and then cut in half....Brush Ranch Dressing on it and put it on the Grille.....Looks good and tastes good...its Zuchinni (sp) that sucks and YUK on Pumpkin Pie.....We just got back from the Store with the complete fixins:...5 of us...only 30.57 each what a deal.....Please don't let the lady General know I said that.....

Prunepicker
11-24-2009, 06:47 PM
I'm baking sweet potato and minced meat pies. Tomorrow I smoke the
turkey!

PennyQuilts
11-24-2009, 06:51 PM
Actually, had some fabulous grilled squash summer before last (it was so good I remember it) and maybe that is what they brushed on it. I dunno, but it was good.

This Thanksgiving we won't have any pots or pans. The last stuff goes on the truck in the morning. I may be eating a salami sandwich.

JuJuBeans
11-24-2009, 08:12 PM
Cranberry, fig, and apple cornbread dressing and fresh homemade blueberry pie.

mugofbeer
11-24-2009, 08:20 PM
Honey baked ham

papaOU
11-25-2009, 12:02 AM
Squash sucks.

Have you had it fried or boiled? I like both but many hate boiled.

grantgeneral78
11-25-2009, 08:17 AM
All of my mom`s cooking she is the best cook around!

Dressing , turkey, ham, and on and on...yummmmmmmm

Generals64
11-25-2009, 08:43 AM
Actually, had some fabulous grilled squash summer before last (it was so good I remember it) and maybe that is what they brushed on it. I dunno, but it was good.

This Thanksgiving we won't have any pots or pans. The last stuff goes on the truck in the morning. I may be eating a salami sandwich.
Salami on rye:.... that's what the Jewish Pilgrims had for Thanksgiving...I think???

kevinpate
11-25-2009, 08:46 AM

No Subways in town? Happy Salami Day if it comes down to that.

Prunepicker
11-25-2009, 09:28 AM
I just put the turkey in the smoker after soaking it all night it in a brine of
salt, brown sugar, rosemary, thyme, crushed red and black pepper, garlic,
onion, sage and something in a jar that didn't have a label but smelled good!

Prunette has started the first batch of bread dough for rolls.
I'll do the sweet 'tator and the minced meat pies this afternoon.

RedDirt717
11-25-2009, 09:31 AM
Smoked turkey and cranberry sauce, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes with giblet gravy, Duck balsamico, collared greens with soy and sesame oil, Shrimp spring rolls, old fashioned mac and cheese, apple pie with home made vanilla ice cream, artisan bread with butter and garlic.

I've got an Asian side of my family, hence the eclectic mix.

Generals64
11-25-2009, 04:22 PM
We're having Thanksgiving early this year.....My wife just brought me a piece of the Turkey....That's my favorite.....Now...Tell you later what was the best....My son did a story about Ree Drummond (the Pioneer Woman) and my wife bought her Cookbook...She used the recipe for Dressing and that looks very exciting.....tastes good too....What?.....Someone's gotta Sample it....

Prunepicker
11-25-2009, 04:30 PM
My son did a story about Ree Drummond (the Pioneer Woman) and my wife
bought her Cookbook... She used the recipe for Dressing and that looks very
exciting... tastes good too... What? Someone's gotta Sample it...
Yes. I'm the official dressing tester.
Prunette just made a gallon for tomorrow.
The turkey is still smokin'!

grantgeneral78
11-25-2009, 04:31 PM
You could always try the frozen turkey in the hot oil cooker!...always a classic.

PennyQuilts
11-25-2009, 06:54 PM
All of my mom`s cooking she is the best cook around!

Dressing , turkey, ham, and on and on...yummmmmmmm

You are a good son!!

MsDarkstar
11-25-2009, 08:48 PM
We do Thanksgiving with my mom's side of the family every year, potluck style. My favorites things are mom's dressing & my cousin's pumpkin pie cake. My contribution this year is rocky road brownies with dark chocolate ganache drizzled on top. Not necessarily traditional Turkey Day fare but I figure it'll offer a little variety from the pumpkin based items.

nik4411
11-25-2009, 08:55 PM
I love turkey, dressing minus onions, mashed potatoes, all smothered in brown gravy, sweet potato pie, good buttery rolls and iced tea....

i must say i DO NOT like smoked turkey for Thanksgiving...

Happy Thanksgiving All!

Generals64
11-25-2009, 09:46 PM
You are a good son!!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++

Naw, she was reading over his shoulder and he is a good "Suck-Up" and we're proud of him....

papaOU
11-25-2009, 10:55 PM
Was given a jar of pecan pumpkin butter.

Thinner than apple-butter with very small pieces of pecan.

Think I'll purchase a jar...

Good stuff......

gen70
11-26-2009, 04:29 AM
I am wishing everyone a "Happy And Great, Thanks Giving Day".

PennyQuilts
11-26-2009, 04:36 AM
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!!

kevinpate
11-26-2009, 07:23 AM
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!!

Right back atcha! Ours got a whole lot better last night when daughter, granddaughter and grandson in progress reached Baltimore. They ain't in Oklahoma until later today, but having them on this side of the pond makes me very, very happy. We gets to enjoy their company through the end of the year!

flintysooner
11-26-2009, 07:24 AM
Happy Thanksgiving.

PennyQuilts
11-26-2009, 07:26 AM
Right back atcha! Ours got a whole lot better last night when daughter, granddaughter and grandson in progress reached Baltimore. They ain't in Oklahoma until later today, but having them on this side of the pond makes me very, very happy. We gets to enjoy their company through the end of the year!

That is wonderful. Enjoy the visit!

flintysooner
11-26-2009, 08:43 AM
Thanksgiving food I miss the most is my mother's Apple Wassail.

nik4411
11-26-2009, 08:44 AM
kevin where are they coming from?

kevinpate
11-26-2009, 10:19 AM
kevin where are they coming from?

Son in law is Air Force, though he's stationed at Vogelway (sp?), an Army base. I'm not real clear on the whys of that, but they seem mostly happy with matters as they are.

Anyhows, the family has been living in Germany a spell now, and this is first trip back for my daughter and granddaughter in almost 11 months. We're very thankful for videos, websamc and facebook, lol.

They'll rotate back stateside for a new tour next summer, location TBD, but most likely in the lower 48, and anywhere is thus fine by me.

Wish SiL coulda come for turkey as well, but he'll be in for Christmas, or so goes the current plan.

Prunepicker
11-26-2009, 10:23 AM
happy thanksgiving everybody!

Generals64
11-27-2009, 08:53 AM
happy thanksgiving everybody!

================================================== =============
A little late but hope you ALL enjoyed Thanksgiving and Now it's time for Santa to start stirring......Prunepicker, i want exactly what you got me last year....O.K.????? Oh yeah Pennyquilts will be heading for the Motherland soon...You guys be careful.....

PennyQuilts
11-27-2009, 09:05 AM
================================================== =============
A little late but hope you ALL enjoyed Thanksgiving and Now it's time for Santa to start stirring......Prunepicker, i want exactly what you got me last year....O.K.????? Oh yeah Pennyquilts will be heading for the Motherland soon...You guys be careful.....

The countdown is definitely on. They are unloading all our stuff in Oklahoma, this afternoon, and we are in an all but empty house back in Virginia. We ended up eating chili and a Mrs. Smith's cherry pie. Just sad but our hearts were full with gratitude for my wonderful kids, our health, husband's good job (I will need to hit the job hunt circuit when we get back) and that we will soon be back home. The kids lost their grandma, last week, and flew to Oklahoma for the funeral so I didn't get to see them - they hope to get back home at Christmas.

I lost my heart dog two days before Thanksgiving, last year, and was grieving deeply. This year, a year has passed and allowed our grief to give way to happy memories, we have a new puppy full of life and we're almost home. One of the best Thanksgivings, ever.

I just came in from making sure I could build up a safe platform in the car so one of the dogs (probably the pup) can ride with me. Pray for good travel weather.

Prunepicker
11-27-2009, 09:21 AM
Today my favorite food is Alka-Seltzer!

kevinpate
11-27-2009, 10:31 AM
We put aside the feast of the roasted beast until this eve, to allow time for our now safely arrived travelers to unwind a bit. Lots of hugs before they slept, long fall nap afterwards and lots of play this am, and now they are out shopping with Nana. they handle a 7 hr time shift way better than ol' cranky Poppa could.

All in all, Thanksgiving 09 is whupping Thanksgiving 08 all ovah the place!

Generals64
11-27-2009, 12:40 PM
Today my favorite food is Alka-Seltzer!
================================================== ============
I've got two (2) cases of ZANTAC in the Van....We could stand on the street corner and make some serious change (I think)????? Went to my nephews house for thanksgiving #2 yesterday afternoon. His Father-in-Law was "moaning and Groaning" all over the house. I thought he had eaten too much....Then to my surprise he began telling everyone about his Kidney Stone.... first one. I called him a "Rookie" ....He didn't think that was funny and began to explain how he would give next week's paycheck for a true pain Killer....I told him only a "rookie" would go out without them....He didn't think that was funny either....Finally I handed him my address....What's this for??? he asked....Send your paycheck to this address as I handed him a "real" Kidney Stone Pill....I said these are like an American Express card.....Never leave home without them......Thought he was going to Kiss me....Told him I'd Pass.....then Thanksgiving dinner hit everyone and the Zantac came out. Felt like a Pharmacist yesterday....

grantgeneral78
11-27-2009, 08:38 PM
OMG leftovers were awesum today!

Prunepicker
11-27-2009, 08:54 PM
OMG leftovers were awesum today!
No kidding. I'm on a super low carb diet and am going to have to start all
over on Monday!
How can anyone be low carb on Thanksgiving? Rolls, dressing, pie, dressing,
all of those salads with whip cream and not to forget the dressing.

Alka-Seltzer is your friend!

kevinpate
11-28-2009, 08:16 AM
We set it off until Friday dinner, but OMG, what a dinner it was.

Will be rolling myself slowly around the haus today, well, not too slowly I suppose, my grandaughter, she be one fast lil' monkey. FUN FUN FUN