View Full Version : OKC Betters Tulsa in Crime Ranking

bjohn9
11-23-2009, 04:06 PM
Here's an item that I just posted on my website. I'm not saying it's the end-all, be-all ranking, but it's out there:

OKC Betters Tulsa in Crime Ranking

A new study on reported crimes in cities across the United States reveals that Oklahoma City fares better than cross-state rival Tulsa when it comes to the crime rate.

Washington, D.C.-based CQ Press compiled the annual list based on FBI crime statistics for murder, rape, robbery, aggravated assault, burglary and motor vehicle theft.

Camden, N.J. topped the list, followed by St. Louis, Oakland, Calif., and Detroit and Flint, Michigan.

Around the central region, Kansas City ranked 15th, Little Rock was 23rd, and Dallas was 47th.

Other Oklahoma cities in the ranking included Lawton (80th), Norman (313th) and Broken Arrow (321st).

www.okcreview.com (http://www.okcreview.com)

bjohn9
11-23-2009, 04:10 PM
Sorry, that story should have included the rankings for Tulsa (39th) and OKC (60th).

dmoor82
11-23-2009, 06:46 PM
Do you have any info on previous years stats/info?I bet you OKC used to be alot worse!

bjohn9
11-23-2009, 09:17 PM
In last year's (2008) city crime ranking, it was:

Tulsa - 37th
Lawton - 59th
OKC - 77th
Norman - 291st
Broken Arrow - 342nd
Edmond - 345th

So OKC got a little worse for the 2009 ranking, Tulsa stayed about the same, Lawton was much improved and Edmond didn't make the 2009 list.

adaniel
11-23-2009, 09:59 PM
Interesting...

Ya know, at the risk of getting flamed, I have to add that my uncle is a retired Tulsa cop. Just hearing some of the stories from him, it doesn't surprise me about T-town's crime rate. For it to be such a "nicer" city, that place has some serious crime issues. I think normal people would be shocked to know what goes on in what is considered a socially conservative area. But that is kind of the nature of crime no matter where you are, sadly.

I'm pretty sure the last stat I saw shows Tulsa's murder rate runs about double the national average.

Bunty
11-23-2009, 10:15 PM
I think normal people would be shocked to know what goes on in what is considered a socially conservative area. But that is kind of the nature of crime no matter where you are, sadly.

Why? Are there even more whores in Tulsa than in Oklahoma City?

RedDirt717
11-23-2009, 10:29 PM
why? Are there even more whores in tulsa than in oklahoma city?

aslut

RedDirt717
11-23-2009, 10:31 PM
Interesting...

Ya know, at the risk of getting flamed, I have to add that my uncle is a retired Tulsa cop. Just hearing some of the stories from him, it doesn't surprise me about T-town's crime rate. For it to be such a "nicer" city, that place has some serious crime issues. I think normal people would be shocked to know what goes on in what is considered a socially conservative area. But that is kind of the nature of crime no matter where you are, sadly.

I'm pretty sure the last stat I saw shows Tulsa's murder rate runs about double the national average.

My car has been broken into twice in my life, both times outside Cains ballroom downtown. One time they took 20 years worth of home movies on VHS I was converting to DVD in Tulsa the next day.

russellc
11-24-2009, 08:00 AM
I'm surprised Muskogee isn't on the list. I hear all the time about how bad it is there. Maybe it is too small to be on the list.