View Full Version : whatever happened with

Hawk405359
11-23-2009, 01:56 PM
The push to get traffic lights synchronized in the city? I remember it being a big deal not that long ago, and then nothing. I was driving down NW Expressway earlier and got reminded of it after having to stop all the time.

gmwise
11-23-2009, 03:08 PM
ahh yes and now they said they need MAPS3

mugofbeer
11-23-2009, 04:18 PM
Exactly how does stop light synchronization have anything to do with MAPS3? Stop lights and intersections are always on bond issues. Just be thankful OKC's spent extra money on lights-on-demand rather than strictly timing. Timed lights are the worlds worst gas wasters and few cities spend the money for them.

onthestrip
11-23-2009, 05:04 PM
I remember this too. I think they hired some people that were going to examine the lights and come up with a more efficient plan. If you ever drive by the Lowes on May just south of I44, you will realize that not much has been done.

LakeEffect
11-23-2009, 06:12 PM
If you call 297-2581, you should be able to get an update from someone in Public Works. Ask about the Intelligent Transportation System project.

bluedogok
11-23-2009, 08:06 PM
They are sync'd so much better in OKC than they are here in Austin, in fact I think they are purposefully not sync'd here.

LakeEffect
11-23-2009, 08:14 PM
They are sync'd so much better in OKC than they are here in Austin, in fact I think they are purposefully not sync'd here.

Only NW Expressway, 39 ST Expressway, and S Shields Blvd. are synced in OKC right now. Downtown is supposed to be synced, but I'm not sure it works. The ITS will allow real-time, computer-controlled manipulation (or manual if necessary) of traffic flow based on traffic flow conditions... at least that's the plan.

bluedogok
11-23-2009, 08:23 PM
That tells you how bad Austin's lights are....

gmwise
11-23-2009, 10:30 PM
Exactly how does stop light synchronization have anything to do with MAPS3?

The fact is if they cant get the lights synchronized then why the hell should i trust them to do MAPS3 right

LakeEffect
11-24-2009, 05:44 AM
The fact is if they cant get the lights synchronized then why the hell should i trust them to do MAPS3 right

The technology isn't there yet... this will most likely be the first system of its type in the US, if not the world (via what I heard once from Mark Mier, the former IT Director, and the person who had the big ideas). The companies that bid on the project will be creating new monitoring systems and new ways of linking traffic signals via wi-fi. Which, even if we were using a standard timing system via wi-fi, would be the first in the country... we're just going a step further.

gmwise
11-24-2009, 09:24 AM
The technology isn't there yet... this will most likely be the first system of its type in the US, if not the world (via what I heard once from Mark Mier, the former IT Director, and the person who had the big ideas). The companies that bid on the project will be creating new monitoring systems and new ways of linking traffic signals via wi-fi. Which, even if we were using a standard timing system via wi-fi, would be the first in the country... we're just going a step further.

Thanks for the info

soonerliberal
11-24-2009, 10:29 AM
Well many of the stop lights here in Northern Virginia and most of them in DC are still set to timers, which is very irritating, particularly when traffic is light at nighttime. At least most of OKC has the lights setup where if a car drives up and there is no other traffic, the light will turn green.

BDP
11-24-2009, 02:04 PM
Timed lights are the worlds worst gas wasters and few cities spend the money for them.

How does that work? If you time the lights where you only have to stop every 4th or 5th light instead of every one, aren't you saving a lot of gas? The most gas is wasted during acceleration and if you don't stop, you don't have to accelerate up to speed every 1/4 mile. I have a car that displays real time gas mileage and it is always better when lights are synched.

Hawk405359
11-24-2009, 02:20 PM

I'm curious as to why that is, really. I know there are places in this country that already have synchronized thoroughfares. They're designed to where, if you drive at a certain, posted speed, then the lights will all turn green as you go. They're not on every street, nor do they need to be, but a street like Northwest expressway? There's no reason I can see why it shouldn't be.

bluedogok
11-24-2009, 03:35 PM
How does that work? If you time the lights where you only have to stop every 4th or 5th light instead of every one, aren't you saving a lot of gas? The most gas is wasted during acceleration and if you don't stop, you don't have to accelerate up to speed every 1/4 mile. I have a car that displays real time gas mileage and it is always better when lights are synched.
I think what they mean are lights that are on timers only with no timing synchronization between controlled intersections. That is how they are here in Austin, at least in my area, I know exactly how long it takes to get from this cycle to that cycle, no matter what time of day or traffic load. There are very "demand switched" lights like there are in OKC where a vehicle trips the computer to interrupt the cycle if there is no demand from the other switches.

I'm curious as to why that is, really. I know there are places in this country that already have synchronized thoroughfares. They're designed to where, if you drive at a certain, posted speed, then the lights will all turn green as you go. They're not on every street, nor do they need to be, but a street like Northwest expressway? There's no reason I can see why it shouldn't be.
Those are typically "time sync'd" and not synchronized through a computer system so that one light knows what the other is doing. If something throws off the timing from one signal to the next, the entire synchronization is thrown off, with the newer systems they can adapt for traffic volumes.

mugofbeer
11-24-2009, 04:40 PM

Because one has to do with the city traffic department and the other is a much larger scale program that the city has procured extraordinarily well on 2 previous times. Perhaps there is a good reason the traffic department hasn't advanced much - such as funding in a time of cutbacks, or they are still designing the system, or its being implemented in other locations not as visible. Maybe someone will tell.

mugofbeer
11-24-2009, 04:43 PM

I think you misunderstand me and maybe I didnt put it as clearly as I should have. Most cities don't use lights that are 'change-on-demand." OKC has used this technology for decades so that a busy street - say May Ave for example - may have green light priority and it would take cars tripping a sensor to actually change a light. If there are no cars in the left turn lane, the light won't cycle to that left turn - saving time on the cycle and getting traffic moving more quickly. Lights at more minor streets won't change for no reason blocking May Ave. Most cities just set a timer on their lights to cycle every XXX seconds, no matter what.

Hawk405359
11-24-2009, 10:58 PM
Those are typically "time sync'd" and not synchronized through a computer system so that one light knows what the other is doing. If something throws off the timing from one signal to the next, the entire synchronization is thrown off, with the newer systems they can adapt for traffic volumes.

What can throw off the timing on those, out of curiosity? And is the system prohibitively expensive so that we shouldnt' view it as a temporary solution that could help clear up some of the ruts on major city streets while technology is improving for better?

LakeEffect
11-25-2009, 05:44 AM
What can throw off the timing on those, out of curiosity? And is the system prohibitively expensive so that we shouldnt' view it as a temporary solution that could help clear up some of the ruts on major city streets while technology is improving for better?

Timing could be off due to an accident, closure of another street (and the associated traffic moved to that street), or other abnormal event.