View Full Version : It's a shame that no multi-purpose soccer facillity was included in Maps 3....

Theo Walcott
11-23-2009, 01:40 PM
not to beat a dead horse, but it's the only thing I'm disappointed in overall.

Commish: Montreal could be 19th MLS team in 2012 - Soccer - SI.com (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/soccer/11/22/mls.montreal.ap/index.html)

OKC would definitely gotten a team, and it would've looked awesome on the river, similar to the project that Vancouver is undertaking now (which is multi-purpose and can be used for outdoor concerts). Would've seriously classed C2S all the more, and shown our city is committed to emphasizing physical fitness.

I guess Cornett didn't think the public would go for a $20-40 mm commitment for building one.

For a look at Vancouver's Waterfront Stadium project, see below:

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/stadium/waterfront/renderings/

Laramie
11-23-2009, 02:02 PM
Now wouldn't be the time to bring MLS to Oklahoma City. Let's wait until the recession takes its course and recovery is complete (Unemployment rate continual decline).

Wantland Stadium in Edmond would make a good temporary or permanent home if the stadium continues with its proposed 20,000 minimum seat expansion.

SI.com - Soccer - MLS says it will expand by two teams in 2005 - Friday November 21, 2003 5:45PM (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/soccer/11/21/mls.expansion/)

Mayor Mick Cornett did mention that a football stadium was under consideration; however, it will have to wait until the next MAPS.

theparkman81
11-23-2009, 02:55 PM
Now wouldn't be the time to bring MLS to Oklahoma City. Let's wait until the recession takes its course and recovery is complete (Unemployment rate continual decline).

Wantland Stadium in Edmond would make a good temporary or permanent home if the stadium continues with its proposed 20,000 minimum seat expansion.

SI.com - Soccer - MLS says it will expand by two teams in 2005 - Friday November 21, 2003 5:45PM (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/soccer/11/21/mls.expansion/)

Mayor Mick Cornett did mention that a football stadium was under consideration; however, it will have to wait until the next MAPS.

I agree, I think if there is (I think it will happen) a MAPS 4, I think its going to have either a football stadium or a soccer stadium by the river on the list of projects, I think in a couple years, that the MLS will be looking at OKC for a possible expansion franchise, NFL would be great, but I doubt it right now.

Theo Walcott
11-23-2009, 03:21 PM
Well the NFL would compete directly against the NBA for season ticket holders. Don't see that happening for 10-15 years.

The most expensive MLS season tickets cost less than the least expensive Thunder season tickets. It's far and away the most reasonable and accessible pro sport for families.

Urban Pioneer
11-23-2009, 04:06 PM
There are Soccer fields in the MAPS 3 Park Plan. That isn't exactly the facility you describe, but is worth mentioning that Soccer infrastructure is in MAPS 3 on the South side of the Sky Dance Bridge.

mugofbeer
11-23-2009, 04:15 PM
Maybe in a MAPS4 or something - a 20-40,000 seat soccer stadium built in the right place would also be a great venue for large concerts.

Stan Silliman
11-23-2009, 04:21 PM
If we wanted MLS, we could pull it in. Owen Field would be ideal, already here and solves a big budget problem. Don't tell me Salt Lake City has a bigger soccer fan base than us.

mugofbeer
11-23-2009, 04:39 PM
If we wanted MLS, we could pull it in. Owen Field would be ideal, already here and solves a big budget problem. Don't tell me Salt Lake City has a bigger soccer fan base than us.

I think from what happened many years ago when OKC had a chance of landing a USFL team (that ultimately went to Tulsa), OU doesn't wish to open Owens Stadium to any form of professional sports.

hoya
11-23-2009, 04:55 PM
Owen Field isn't big enough for a soccer stadium. Remember, they use a bigger field for soccer, and the stands in Norman come all the way down to the field.

mugofbeer
11-23-2009, 04:58 PM
Owen Field isn't big enough for a soccer stadium. Remember, they use a bigger field for soccer, and the stands in Norman come all the way down to the field.

True, too, for a standard soccer field.

onthestrip
11-23-2009, 04:59 PM
It probably wasnt in MAPS3 because it wouldnt have been very popular. You dont want to put a multi-million dollar facility on the ballot when we dont even have a MLS franchise or no other immediate user. I doubt OU would be interested in having an MLS team play on their field and on top of that Im not sure the actual field is large enough for a pro soccer game.

bluedogok
11-23-2009, 08:21 PM
Most MLS soccer stadiums are in the 20,000 to mid-30,000 range, they found out playing in quarter to half full football stadiums wasn't the best thing. Only the New England Revolution plays in a NFL stadium (Gillette Stadium, 68,756 capacity) but they are also owned by Robert Kraft who owns the Patriots and Gillette Stadium. Most NFL stadiums are just too big for anything other than World Cup type of matches.

Wikipedia - List of Major League Soccer stadiums (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MLS_Stadiums)

nik4411
11-23-2009, 08:48 PM

actually soccer is really popular in utah. a lot of kids really enjoy playing through highschool and even college...and there is quite a substantial hispanic population in the state that is ever growing.

Midtowner
11-23-2009, 09:03 PM
UCO actually wants to make its field into a multipurpose facility keyed to MLS. I think the sport would do very well in Edmond. They already have plans for the facility, it includes an upper deck going all the way around, sits around 24,000 with room for expansion and is quite nice.

bombermwc
11-25-2009, 10:44 AM
Midtowner - are you referring to the origional plans for when they redid Wantland? If so, I think you might be confusing the canvas roof for a second deck. Both sides of the field were supposed to have similar numbers of seating with a roof covering a great number of seats....think roman colliseum type roof. It's the same type most MLS stadiums have...not like a dome, just a covering over the stand section. I don't recall seeing anything about the stands bowling in though.

I don't know the exact numbers, but I want to say that currently it's in the 10-12K range. Putting the stands on the visitors side matching the home would basically bump it up to that 24K range. And then the seats are better on each side...and much cheaper to build. Remember in a pro stadium, there really isn't a "visitors" side, just directional sections..IE North, South. It's just a matter of do you want the pressbox side, or the sun side.