View Full Version : News on the Century Center

Patrick
08-10-2004, 01:28 PM
I emailed the OKC Convention and Visitor's Bureau, and they emailed me back and revieled the plans for the old Century Center. The hotel (Westin, Sheridan, or whatever you want to call it) owns the space and they're going to renovate it into more meeting space, i.e., meeting rooms, ballroom, etc. Just thought I'd let everyone know. That's actually not all too bad. Currently, the Westin doesn't have quite the amount of convention space that the Renaissance has across the street. Currently they only have a couple of large rooms, and that's it. Although it won't be a large department store, at least they're doing something with that space instead of letting it sit vacant.

BG918
08-10-2004, 01:49 PM
That's good to know something is going to happen there. I didn't think a department store would do that well there anyway. I'm not sure I would want one in Bricktown either, that area needs more small stores that are pedestrian-oriented. What would be another good location for a downtown Nordstrom, Macy's or even Target?

Urban Target in downtown Minneapolis, very cool IMO
http://images1.fotki.com/v1/photos/1/10467/18525/smp112-vi.jpg

Patrick
08-10-2004, 08:48 PM
Maybe either on the west side near the arts district. Or even on the north side near the new Federal Building. The North side of downtown might actually be better anyway. We don't really have a good district north of the CBD in between the CBD and Heritage Hills. Maybe a good downtown shopping district would be nice.

mranderson
08-11-2004, 05:30 PM
I like the Target you showed. Funny, I have been to Minneapolis, but missed it. Driving downtown in a city inwhich you have never been is tough, so I was not paying close attention.

Wal-Mart uses Oklahoma City as their primary test market, so, maybe this concept could be tested by them downtown. After all, look at Sam Club (first across from Joe Cooper Ford), the first Wal-Mart supercenter (SE 19 and I-35 in Moore) and the first Neighborhood Market (in Oklahoma City, but I can not remember which one). Now they are all over the country or soon will be.

Patrick
08-11-2004, 10:27 PM
I just don't think Wal-Mart would fit in downtown....I don't care how they designed their store. Target is a little more upscale, so it fits better. But, let's go for something more unique downtown. If we want a grocery store, let's go for something more in line with Crescent Market, only more fit into the downtown theme.

swake
08-12-2004, 08:23 AM
Sadly, the word is that Wal-Mart is going to test an “urban” store in Tulsa in the East Village area of downtown with a Supercenter and Sam’s combo store on the site of what is now Nordam. Nordam is now in middle of moving to new facilites in north Tulsa and their properties are going to be available very soon.. From what is being talked about Wal-mart is going to use a parking deck instead of just surface parking and is going to retain the façades of the Nordam buildings. I’ll believe all of that when I see it, my guess is that Wal-Mart levels several square blocks on the east end of downtown and builds the same old ugly boxes they always do. Bad time for Tulsa to be the “test” market.

swake
08-12-2004, 09:01 AM
Sadly, the word is that Wal-Mart is going to test an “urban” store in Tulsa in the East Village area of downtown with a Supercenter and Sam’s combo store on the site of what is now Nordam. Nordam is now in middle of moving to new facilites in north Tulsa and their properties are going to be available very soon.. From what is being talked about Wal-mart is going to use a parking deck instead of just surface parking and is going to retain the façades of the Nordam buildings. I’ll believe all of that when I see it, my guess is that Wal-Mart levels several square blocks on the east end of downtown and builds the same old ugly boxes they always do. Bad time for Tulsa to be the “test” market.

Patrick
08-12-2004, 11:19 AM
That's unfortunate. Wal-Mart just doesn't belong downtown. I'll be interested to see exactly how Wal-Mart fits their concept into a dense downtown area though, with the parking deck and all. I'll definitely be watching. My main concern with Wal-Mart isn't necessarily that they're a big-box retailer.....it's more the quality of shoppers they attract and the mess they bring behind. In my opinion, the Belle Isle Wal-Mart definitely has not been a blessing for the Penn Square/Belle Isle area. If anything, it's brought down the quality of people in that area, at least in the Belle Isle Station Shopping Center. Everytime I drive through Belle Isle Wal-Mart's parking lot it's like driving through a sea of trash.

Anyways, I know our city leaders are smarter than that. They'd never allow a Wal-Mart in te heart of downtown. Maybe in midtown, but nowhere close to te CBD. Talk to Jim Couch, our city manager, for a few minutes and you'll catch onto that really quick. Couch is a smart man, and definitely knows where this city needs to go.

Anyways, keep us up to date on the downtown Wal-Mart in Tulsa. I'm curious what intersection they're going to build it on.

BG918
08-12-2004, 01:05 PM
The Wal-Mart in downtown Tulsa is a rumor and has not been confirmed. Tulsa city leaders are morons but not that stupid, at least we hope so...

Patrick
08-12-2004, 01:36 PM
I wouldn't think Tulsa city leaders are that dumb!!!! At least I hope not.

okcpulse
08-13-2004, 12:52 AM
Hmmm, I don't know. Tulsa was dumb enough to allow partisan elections (meaning the mayor and council members can run with a democrat or republican party label). Oklahoma City's charter forbids partisan politics. You are a mayor... not a democrat or GOP, but just a mayor. Same with our council members.