View Full Version : USRT gives Ford Center high marks

betts
11-21-2009, 04:46 AM
Ultimate Sports Road Trip gives OKC a good review. Kind of nice to see an perspective from people who have been to this many venues. I can see why they my like Memphis the city, but wonder if they went to a Memphis University game, rather than a Grizzlies game. It looks like there's a world of difference.

Sports Road Trip | WNYmedia.net (http://wnymedia.net/wnymedia/sportsroadtrip/)

We can say it now.. add Oklahoma City to the list of favorite USRT destinations, along with places such as Indianapolis, Memphis and Montreal.

This city is fast becoming a true tourist destination, thanks to downtown neighborhoods such as Bricktown, with its historical heritage combined with exciting new entertainment and fun venues. And now Oklahoma City is a true 4 sport franchise destination, thanks to joining the ranks of NBA cities with the Oklahoma City Thunder.

OK, OK, I’m not going into detail as to how the team got here, save to reference that this team was once the Seattle Supersonics. I’ll save that rant for Pete. But a few years back this city became the temporary home of the New Orleans Hornets, when Hurricane Katrina obliterated that city. OKC then showed that they were ready for prime time, and now they have a team to call their own.

Since we last visited here, we see that the Ford Center has undergone tremendous renovations and upgrades. Plush padded seats throughout the building, tiled washrooms, snazzy new 360 degree ribbon boards and HD scoreboard. But what has not changed is the energy in the building. Fans here are passionate, greeters at the top of the stairs leading to the 300s welcome and high five fans and lead them to “Loud City”. Music bumps, cheerleaders, the fierce Bison mascot, and other crazy fun on the court keep the fans entertained and clapping along throughout.

This venue earned a high score when we did the official profile for the OKC Hornets. No doubt the Thunder will retain their status as one of the elite NBA venues in our rankings. Speaking of which, we can now rub the “asterisk” off the Ford Center. Yes we were boasting that we have been everywhere, and we did visit here when the Hornets were in town, but truth be told we had not seen the Thunder play until tonight, and were holding off this visit until we could combo it with the Dallas Cowboys new stadium visit.

As for the game, the Thunder put on an offensive show tonight, with show stopping dunks and great playmaking, and when it was over had themselves a 127-108 win over the Washington Wizards.

Larry OKC
11-21-2009, 05:28 AM
We can say it now.. add Oklahoma City to the list of favorite USRT destinations, along with places such as Indianapolis, Memphis and Montreal. ... Since we last visited here, we see that the Ford Center has undergone tremendous renovations and upgrades. ...

This venue earned a high score when we did the official profile for the OKC Hornets. No doubt the Thunder will retain their status as one of the elite NBA venues in our rankings. ...

Wasn't going to comment at all, but it made me put something in here...

betts
11-21-2009, 05:36 AM
I think, Larry, the crowd was what gave the venue the high marks the first time they were here. I can't find the original visit reference(although I remember reading it at the time), but the following comment: "Since we last visited here, we see that the Ford Center has undergone tremendous renovations and upgrades," kind of says it all.

Larry OKC
11-21-2009, 06:22 AM
High marks for the VENUE implies the building and not the crowd, does it not? Not saying improvements weren't made (elite status and all)...

kevinpate
11-21-2009, 08:47 AM
High marks for the VENUE implies the building and not the crowd, does it not? Not saying improvements weren't made (elite status and all)...

I canna disagree, but there was a dang fine separate nod to the crowd and general showmanship of the team support structure as well.

B-ball fans and event staff, y'all can proudly take yer a bow or three.

betts
11-21-2009, 09:28 AM
Not meaning to nitpick, but venue generally includes crowd IMO as when these guys go to a game the crowd is an intrinsic part of the venue. And having been in 7 other NBA arenas, ours, even with the improvements, is still closer to the bottom, with the exception of our scoreboard, but that will likely improve with next year's construction.

henrywc
11-21-2009, 04:47 PM
Just think! A short 10-15 years ago, the only downtown venue we had was the Myriad!