View Full Version : Jack White Working With Wanda Jackson

citizenkane
11-20-2009, 12:56 AM
JACK WHITE TALKS WORKING WITH WANDA JACKSON ON "WILD RECORD"

BY BRANDY MCDONNELL
Published: November 19, 2009

Rocker Jack White talked this week to MTV.com about producing a recent recording session for Oklahoma’s own Queen of Rockabilly, Wanda Jackson. He said the sessions have already been completed.

“I just finished recording with Wanda Jackson in Nashville. It was just supposed to be a seven-inch (single), but we did a lot more songs, so maybe it will be something bigger,” White told MTV.com. “There was a lot of good stuff. It’s a wild record.”

Jackson (pictured left), a 2009 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee, told The Oklahoman’s Gene Triplett last week that she was working with the rocker on a project that she likened to his Loretta Lynn’s 2004 album “Van Lear Rose,” which White produced.

“They had a super album, but he didn’t have her do anything different, you know,” Jackson told Gene. “She just did her little Loretta Lynn songs. But he told me he’s gonna stretch me some, so we’ll see.”

White fronts three alternative rock bands – the White Stripes, the Dead Weather and the Raconteurs – so he remains perpetually busy, even if you don’t count the producing tasks. White told MTV.com that new Dead Weather and White Stripes albums are in progress.

“It’s gonna take as long as it takes … if it takes three months to do a Dead Weather record, we’ll take that long,” White told MTV.com. “The White Stripes record is going to be these two guys (Dead Weather bassist Jack Lawrence and guitarist/keyboardist Dean Fertita) dressed as me and Meg (White, his duo partner and ex-wife), so we’ll see if something interesting comes out of that.”

But the busy White won’t be doing one project – performing on guitarist Slash’s solo album.

“I don’t even remember that request, but I love Slash — ‘Appetite (for Destruction)’ is one of the best rock albums of the past 20-30 years,” White told MTV.com. “I don’t remember exactly what that request was, but, you know, I don’t really like those albums where every song is a different person — that Santana thing, that’s not interesting to me. But I think he’s a really interesting guitar player.”

Catching up with White is always interesting, but I’m most intrigued by the idea of him working with Oklahoma City’s “sweet lady with the nasty voice,” Wanda Jackson.

-BAM

Source: NewsOK (http://newsok.com)

TaoMaas
11-20-2009, 06:22 AM
...I’m most intrigued by the idea of him working with Oklahoma City’s “sweet lady with the nasty voice,” Wanda Jackson.

I got to shoot an interview with Wanda Jackson last year and we talked about that label.."sweet lady with the nasty voice". She said, "I never liked it. I'm not that sweet." LOL LOL She didn't deny the rest. But I'm gonna differ with her. She was very sweet and couldn't have been nicer.

Prunepicker
11-29-2009, 11:01 PM
I go to church with Wanda. She's a very kind lady and her husband is a
jewel. I'd like to gig with her. We'll see!

USG '60
11-30-2009, 07:27 AM
Well, I was the first in line to buy Van Lear Rose the day it was released. There was not one song I wanted to hear again, so I gave it away. I hope Wanda has better luck.