View Full Version : Kind of sorry to see this go

betts
11-20-2009, 12:16 AM
I remember when I moved to Oklahoma City, this was being constructed. It was one of the first developments on Western, and gave me some hope for the future. I remember hoping it would be a retail area, but thought the architecture (at the time) was different and interesting.

Chesapeake makes way for future
BY STEVE LACKMEYER
Published: November 20, 2009

The fold-out Murphy bed still rests in the wall of Tom Ward’s old office at Chesapeake Energy Corp. even as the remaining space is being filled with cabinets, light fixtures, doors and windows. Demolition has begun on most of the original office buildings on the Chesapeake Energy Corp. campus on Tuesday in Oklahoma City. A new park will replace the buildings being demolished. A walk through Chopt Square — the original name of the office park that over years grew to become the heart of the Chesapeake Energy campus — is more like a tour through downtown Oklahoma City as it was being razed by the Oklahoma City Urban Renewal Authority.

Read more: NewsOK (http://www.newsok.com/chesapeake-makes-way-for-future/article/3418896?custom_click=lead_story_title#ixzz0XNiH820 H)

Pete
11-20-2009, 09:33 AM
At least they are keeping one of the original buildings and using it as a museum.

It's strange that they are tearing buildings down to build an athletic field when they already have on right across Western.

OKCTalker
11-20-2009, 10:29 AM
It was always named "Three Chopt Square." Dunno how Steve missed that, but the continuous use of the wrong name irked me.

John
11-20-2009, 12:08 PM
It's strange that they are tearing buildings down to build an athletic field when they already have on right across Western.

In the 'master plan,' I believe there is a quad of buildings going in where the current park/field is located.

jbrown84
11-23-2009, 09:42 PM
I didn't realize the old graffiti bridge was in that area. Where was it exactly?

muzique808
11-23-2009, 10:08 PM
I didn't realize the old graffiti bridge was in that area. Where was it exactly?

It was the old RR bridge over Western, just north of Flip's.

flippity
11-24-2009, 07:33 AM

i used to have a piece of that bridge...it was really cool. it was actually just layers and layers of paint...very colorful.

muzique808
12-03-2009, 12:28 AM

After reviewing some aerial images, I see I was a tiny bit off. The rail line crossed Western exactly where the new (well, recent) Western/Classen intersection is now. I have an image, but having trouble linking to it at the moment.

TaoMaas
12-03-2009, 05:15 AM
i used to have a piece of that bridge...it was really cool. it was actually just layers and layers of paint...very colorful.

I don't know if he's still doing it, but there is a local artist who saved a lot of the paint from the bridge when it was being torn down. He was using it to cover everything from chairs to ink pens. When he'd sand the object to get it smooth, all the layers of paint would show through. It was pretty cool.

John
12-03-2009, 10:30 PM
I don't know if he's still doing it, but there is a local artist who saved a lot of the paint from the bridge when it was being torn down. He was using it to cover everything from chairs to ink pens. When he'd sand the object to get it smooth, all the layers of paint would show through. It was pretty cool.

You can still get these items at Route 66 inside 50 Penn. Great, great, great store!