View Full Version : Kristie Manor APts/ Del City

Pages : [1] 2

Redskin 70
11-19-2009, 10:13 PM
OK, those crappy apts at 29th and Sooner road and that old Gas station.
I see work going on but havent heard anything about whats going there?

I did hear a rumor that Tinker bought it and is tearing it down..........

Anybody know anything?????:closed:

Lauri101
11-20-2009, 02:32 AM
Looks like they took out tanks at old gas station and fences are down in multiple places, but the apartments continue to stand and harbor rats and vagrants.

It's an eyesore and safety/health hazard - last I heard Del City was set to demolish.

bombermwc
11-20-2009, 07:56 AM
Has nothing to do with Tinker. It was Del City forcing the California company that owned those as well as those off of I-40 to stop letting them deteriorate. They were all supposed to have already been torn down. Big surprise Del City is dragging their feet.

Wambo36
11-20-2009, 08:06 AM
The service station is gone. They were finishing it up this morning when I drove by. Let's get to the apartments.

cad_poke
11-20-2009, 08:52 AM
I've heard that an On Cue Express is going in where the old gas station was.

kd5ili
11-20-2009, 11:27 AM
The service station is gone. They were finishing it up this morning when I drove by. Let's get to the apartments.

They are waiting for tornado season, hoping to save some money. :lol2:

-Chris-

decepticobra
11-20-2009, 12:17 PM
OK, those crappy apts at 29th and Sooner road and that old Gas station.
I see work going on but havent heard anything about whats going there?

I did hear a rumor that Tinker bought it and is tearing it down..........

Anybody know anything?????:closed:

those apartments are indeed old. i believe currently its called kristie manor/kristie manor north.

i can still remember back in 1990 when my sister lived there, kristie manor north was called woodcreek apartments--they were old back then too.

thats a noticeable thing about okc to those who move here from other parts of the country: tons of old apartments, a few newer ones.

most of the newer ones that were built in the last 10 years or so are concentrated in key areas, mainly edmond and norman.

finding a new apartment complex in midwest city is tough, the only one that even surfaces to mind is the ones on the southwestern corner of 10th and air depot in midwest city, and they are ridiculously overpriced.

del city and certain areas of okc probably run neck to neck in competition for having some of the oldest apartment complexes in the metro area.

but alas, okc is a growing and prosperous city. we have a great downtown area thats being progressively redeveloped. we are attracting new business and commerce here all the time.

and with those strides assuredly comes the inevitable tearing down of old apartment complexes to build newer ones to accomodate the influx of transplant residents that will soon move here seeking our new industries for their occupational pursuits.

decepticobra
11-20-2009, 12:21 PM

r.i.p. tune-up masters

LordGerald
11-20-2009, 12:45 PM
Has nothing to do with Tinker. It was Del City forcing the California company that owned those as well as those off of I-40 to stop letting them deteriorate. They were all supposed to have already been torn down. Big surprise Del City is dragging their feet.

Actually, it has something to do with Tinker. Both are in the flight path of the accident potential zone 1 (APZ1) of the crosswinds runway. As part of the Joint Land Use Study and the Air Installation Compatability Use Zone study, those properties were recommended to be removed and cleared. It just so happens that they were condemned by Del City. They will be destroyed and nothing will replace them.

decepticobra
11-20-2009, 12:57 PM
Actually, it has something to do with Tinker. Both are in the flight path of the accident potential zone 1 (APZ1) of the crosswinds runway. As part of the Joint Land Use Study and the Air Installation Compatability Use Zone study, those properties were recommended to be removed and cleared. It just so happens that they were condemned by Del City. They will be destroyed and nothing will replace them.

that doesnt make any sense. there hasnt been an accident there in the last 25 yrs or so, and aircraft technology has significantly improved since that time.

so why does tinker suddenly jump to its feet now with a safety concern?

or is this REALLY just del city's way of selling land to tinker with the eternal security of having a stout reason to annex its land for govt purposes knowing well that no apartments will ever be erected there ever again.

i think del city is trying to erradicate and eventually remove ALL of its apartments in favor of rezoning the areas for commerce instead.

del city has nothing but a troubled past with the apartment complexes its had, and would like to shed that past once and for all.

they only have 8 square miles to deal with, shouldnt be too much of a chore to make all 8 apartment-free.

bombermwc
11-20-2009, 01:43 PM
That's totally wrong General. That's what a few folks that weren't even associated with Tinker anymore wanted to have happen (including not letting the devleopment at I-40 and Sooner to happen). They failed to make a case for their argument...basically because they would like to take all of EOC for their safe zone. But there isn't any reason for it. It's a long story that can be summed up to....that's incorrect.

As I said before, the California company that bought the two complexes has been getting in trouble across the country...and specifically here in OKC. Del City took a proactive approach and condemned the properties because of the failures of the LLC to maintain properly. They were taken to court and the city ran out the leases for the year and started boarding up the buildings. That's why it took a long time for them to finish boarding up....but they were supposed to doze several months ago. I do not know why they haven't.

As for the comment that businesses won't be going back in, that's also incorrect. Go check the county assesor's site. On 9-1-09, a local LLC purchased the land. If they weren't going to allow development of the land, they wouldn't be allowed to sell it. Note the reduction in market value....from 3.5 million to just over 1.

LordGerald
11-20-2009, 01:57 PM
That's totally wrong General. That's what a few folks that weren't even associated with Tinker anymore wanted to have happen (including not letting the devleopment at I-40 and Sooner to happen). They failed to make a case for their argument...basically because they would like to take all of EOC for their safe zone. But there isn't any reason for it. It's a long story that can be summed up to....that's incorrect.

As I said before, the California company that bought the two complexes has been getting in trouble across the country...and specifically here in OKC. Del City took a proactive approach and condemned the properties because of the failures of the LLC to maintain properly. They were taken to court and the city ran out the leases for the year and started boarding up the buildings. That's why it took a long time for them to finish boarding up....but they were supposed to doze several months ago. I do not know why they haven't.

As for the comment that businesses won't be going back in, that's also incorrect. Go check the county assesor's site. On 9-1-09, a local LLC purchased the land. If they weren't going to allow development of the land, they wouldn't be allowed to sell it. Note the reduction in market value....from 3.5 million to just over 1.

Fair enough. All I know is what I read in the JLUS report, which is below:

Highlights of Del City’s efforts to preserve and protect the Tinker AFB APZs as provided by city staff for this report include:

APZ I

Rezoned Clanton Trailer Park (SE 29th and Sooner) from high density residential (Mobile Home Park / M-H) to much lower density commercial (Arterial Commercial / AC). Rejected several uses, including a bank, a convenience store, and an automobile sales lot, all of which would have been a gathering point for large numbers of people.

Condemned and is vacating large parts of the Kristie Manor Apartment Complex (SE 29th and Sooner). Property is intended for rezoning from high density residential (R-4) to much lower density commercial (Arterial Commercial / A-C).

Worked with real estate agent to include specifi c information about APZ I land use and density restrictions in promotional materials for Tune Up Masters property (SE 29th and Sooner). Rejected several potential uses, including dry cleaner shop, convenience store, automobile sales lot, and child care center.

Redskin 70
11-21-2009, 07:30 AM
Wow, great information to the speculation.
I heard that Del City is still involved in tearing it down now the lawsuit has been dropped.

So, what are they going to do with all that vacant land?????when its tore down

Wambo36
11-21-2009, 10:49 AM
those apartments are indeed old. i believe currently its called kristie manor/kristie manor north.

i can still remember back in 1990 when my sister lived there, kristie manor north was called woodcreek apartments--they were old back then too

I had a cousin who lived there in the early to mid seventies. Certianly time for them to come down.

Wambo36
11-21-2009, 10:54 AM

From what I've read about the the owner from California, it's suprising he's not facing some sort of criminal charges. He buys these properties and collects rent while letting them fall apart around the renters ears. Good riddance.

Thunder
11-21-2009, 02:14 PM

Actually, no. The company sued to stop the process. Now that is over, down they go. One is already cleared. They're doing it one by one. I drive by there every day.

decepticobra
11-21-2009, 03:12 PM
Actually, no. The company sued to stop the process. Now that is over, down they go. One is already cleared. They're doing it one by one. I drive by there every day.

Del City can do everything in its power to get rid of all its nasty old apartment complexes that attract less than desirable residents and/or those with criminal backgrounds.

however, even if it should accomplish its goal it will still be haunted by the slew of apartments in okc just across its jurisdiction line south of s.e. 44th and sunnylane, not to mention mwc has its share of crooked complexes (the ones slightly north of 10th and midwest blvd surface to mind), and okc also has a few crooked ones right outside dc off of I-35 and s.e. 44th.

so, even if the apartments go, these types of people del city no longer desires to harbor will still frequent del city due to the businesses located there (i.e. walmart, various eateries, etc)

Thunder
11-21-2009, 03:21 PM
Del City can do everything in its power to get rid of all its nasty old apartment complexes that attract less than desirable residents and/or those with criminal backgrounds.

however, even if it should accomplish its goal it will still be haunted by the slew of apartments in okc just across its jurisdiction line south of s.e. 44th and sunnylane, not to mention mwc has its share of crooked complexes (the ones slightly north of 10th and midwest blvd surface to mind), and okc also has a few crooked ones right outside dc off of I-35 and s.e. 44th.

so, even if the apartments go, these types of people del city no longer desires to harbor will still frequent del city due to the businesses located there (i.e. walmart, various eateries, etc)

Hopefully you are not attacking Sunnyview. That place is top notch in the whole area of apartments there. I'm living there a year now and the staff work hard. Right now, the whole place is getting new roof, not only that, they are replacing the entire top of buildings under the roof and the ac/heat works.

muzique808
11-23-2009, 08:37 AM
I've heard that an On Cue Express is going in where the old gas station was.

I heard this from an OnCue store manager as well.

Redskin 70
11-23-2009, 10:12 AM
Bomber why would you say that. Reading earlier post it seems that Del City was STOPPED in their process to tear them down when the property owner filed a law suit to prevent that.

Sorry but even a CITY has to do what some old man in a Black Robe says.

Guess they won their law suit and have now proceeded with new owners to get them down.

mireaux
11-23-2009, 10:50 AM
Bomber why would you say that. Reading earlier post it seems that Del City was STOPPED in their process to tear them down when the property owner filed a law suit to prevent that.

Sorry but even a CITY has to do what some old man in a Black Robe says.

Guess they won their law suit and have now proceeded with new owners to get them down.

cause bomber thinks he's the know-it-all on mid-del issues and news. sometimes he is, sometimes hes not.

bombermwc
11-24-2009, 12:15 PM
wow mireaux, thanks for your educated insight. The fact that you personally feel that way, makes me all warm and fuzzy inside considering your other posts.

Fact is, i hadn't heard that the lawsuit came about. When the process first started, the company wasn't putting up a fight at all.

Redskin 70
11-24-2009, 08:46 PM
Yes, it was in the Sun that they had filed a lawsuit over the condemnation order.

bombermwc
11-25-2009, 10:45 AM
Ah, that's why I missed it. I don't get the sun...but I guess no one will before long.

Thunder
11-27-2009, 05:34 AM
It was posted somewhere on here a long time ago.

Redskin 70
12-04-2009, 08:47 PM
about half the buildings are gone as of today. ITs looking great

Lauri101
12-05-2009, 09:17 AM
Good article in Saturday 12/5 Oklahoman. OnCue did purchase property for "gas station and other retail/commercial development.."

Can't wait - oooh...maybe someone at OnCue Corporate office is able to appreciate the printed word and we could get a bookstore!

Yeah...I'm dreamin'..:bright_id

Thunder
12-05-2009, 10:24 PM
In that exact location? So, how is it that TAFB allow Del City to build a gas station capable of blowing most of the city away if a plane crash there? Honestly, they should've rebuilt the entire apartment complex under different company.

Redskin 70
12-05-2009, 11:35 PM
Well, MWC put a gas station in the fall down zone ...its called sams
The apartment complex was a bigger danger to Tinker than a gas station is. Less people at 3 am when the B-52 crashes

Thunder
12-06-2009, 12:15 PM
lol? Have there ever been a crash there? I think not. Around that time, I used to drive thru that area every day (or night) for a year, never witness a single plane flying in.

bombermwc
12-07-2009, 07:17 AM
They're a comin' down folks....

Demo (http://www.flickr.com/photos/43309757@N05/4165645913/)

OCity05
12-07-2009, 07:38 AM
Good article in Saturday 12/5 Oklahoman. OnCue did purchase property for "gas station and other retail/commercial development.."

Can't wait - oooh...maybe someone at OnCue Corporate office is able to appreciate the printed word and we could get a bookstore!

Yeah...I'm dreamin'..:bright_id

Perhaps a Barnes & Noble?

bombermwc
12-18-2009, 06:54 AM
THEY'RE GONE!!!!!!!! I drove by last night and every single one of the buildings is gone. FINALLY!

Thunder
12-19-2009, 09:45 AM
THEY'RE GONE!!!!!!!! I drove by last night and every single one of the buildings is gone. FINALLY!

So dramatic. So not true. There is at least 10 buildings still standing the past hour I drove by.

plmccordj
12-19-2009, 09:32 PM
The buildings that are still there are the ones that are West of the creek, next door to the KFC.

mmonroe
12-20-2009, 01:44 PM
Now, lets get the ones at I-40 and Reno too!

Thunder
12-20-2009, 08:37 PM
Now, lets get the ones at I-40 and Reno too!

Correction: I-40 and Scott

mmonroe
12-21-2009, 11:05 AM
Does it matter? You knew the ones I was talking about mother.

Redskin 70
12-21-2009, 03:59 PM
Does it matter? You knew the ones I was talking about mother.

Yes I like the way you think:phone:

toxiew
01-08-2010, 04:56 PM
their gone!!!!!

Redskin 70
04-10-2010, 07:42 AM
Any one paying attention to the work being accomplished?
THe creek is cleaned and straightened
There is now underground drainage where before it was just a bar ditch.
Nice looking entrance onto Sooner.
Forms have been set for the station,
The whole place is now leveled and cleared.
Yerp Big D is on the move, finally.
Next stop Oak Ridge on Bryant:omg:

decepticobra
04-29-2010, 09:28 AM
Correction: I-40 and Scott

yeah, those have to be some of the worst in the metro. others that come to mind are some apts off of 10th & council area. in mwc, would be some on midwest blvd just due north of 10th st. those hideous ones in moore..just west of I-35 on 4th street, i think...has an irish name to it. ..also in moore, theres a few section-8 complexes off of santa fe.

dmoor82
04-30-2010, 08:53 PM
yeah, those have to be some of the worst in the metro. others that come to mind are some apts off of 10th & council area. in mwc, would be some on midwest blvd just due north of 10th st. those hideous ones in moore..just west of I-35 on 4th street, i think...has an irish name to it. ..also in moore, theres a few section-8 complexes off of santa fe.

^^^Yeah,those Apts in MWC,just North of 10th are pretty bad!except Midwest Territory!the 1story Apt complex's that look like condos,only 1 neighbor and NO sec 8! anyways back to topic I'm glad to see Kristie Manor gone it was an eyesore!

Redskin 70
05-03-2010, 03:41 PM
Lets not forget the ones in Warr Acres the city took and are developiong into single family residential.....

oneforone
05-03-2010, 04:03 PM
It was The Village not Warr Acres.

disinfected
06-09-2010, 03:13 PM
There are more abandoned ones down near the ones on I-40 and Scott, I can't remember what street they are on, but there are some on either side of 40.

mmonroe
06-09-2010, 10:00 PM
Yes, there are other discussions about them around here on the forums. I don't have specific links though.

Redskin 70
06-10-2010, 08:54 AM
Well, I do know that the Pott.tribe has purchased them and are planning something really big up there.
Its a great location

mmonroe
06-10-2010, 11:18 AM
I wish they"d hurry!

Dar405301
06-10-2010, 11:46 AM
redskin, are you saying that the pott tribe has bought the apartments around I-40 and scott, and are planing to build something in their place?

Dar405301
06-10-2010, 11:46 AM
which apartments exactly?

oneforone
06-10-2010, 02:52 PM
which apartments exactly?

redskin, are you saying that the pott tribe has bought the apartments around I-40 and scott, and are planing to build something in their place?

The Citizen Potawatomi Nation owns Logan Point they plan on demolishing the complex. There is a story in Eastward about the tribe donating the the old apartment buildings to fire departments from all over the city for training.

http://eastword.net/article/06-03-2010/Firefighters_conduct_drills_using_Del_City_apartme nts.aspx

so1rfan
06-10-2010, 03:02 PM
I was told yesterday that the Sooner Road OnCue would be about seven more weeks, the Douglas Blvd one will likely open tomorrow. They have like five milkshake machines on the wall in there.

Redskin 70
06-11-2010, 06:50 AM
The Citizen Potawatomi Nation owns Logan Point they plan on demolishing the complex. There is a story in Eastward about the tribe donating the the old apartment buildings to fire departments from all over the city for training.

Eastword > > Firefighters conduct drills using Del City apartments (http://eastword.net/article/06-03-2010/Firefighters_conduct_drills_using_Del_City_apartme nts.aspx)

Well I knew the Tribe had them but didnt know they were burning them down.......

bombermwc
06-11-2010, 07:21 AM
That's pretty satisfying to know that the folks that closed the place will be able to use it to their benefit like that as well. They could also do some urban combat training for the PD. Drug raid practice, pursuit, etc...that sort of thing. Then when you're done, burn the sucker down and practice putting it out.

Sounds like good practice to me.

Wambo36
06-11-2010, 08:10 AM
Well I knew the Tribe had them but didnt know they were burning them down.......

They won't be burning them. They'll literally be tearing them down a little at a time. We did the same thing with some apts. last year. Usually they do search and rescue training and then start cutting them up with ventilation and rescue training. Cutting holes on the roofs, floors and walls, etc.. Too many FF's being seriously injured or killed nationwide in training fires, in these type structures, to do that anymore.

disinfected
06-11-2010, 10:23 AM
Aside from the ones in question, I am thinking of the ones behind the 7-11 and the 66 Station, which are also abandoned.

rondvu
06-12-2010, 03:36 PM
Back in the day the SW corner of 29th and Sooner was a go-cart tack. Behind the track was the private neighborhood pool for Del Aire. SE was the riding stables for Tinker. The NW was always empty. The NE had a Kerr Mcgee and behind it was the Sooner Twin drive in.

Redskin 70
06-13-2010, 07:18 AM
Back in the day the SW corner of 29th and Sooner was a go-cart tack. Behind the track was the private neighborhood pool for Del Aire. SE was the riding stables for Tinker. The NW was always empty. The NE had a Kerr Mcgee and behind it was the Sooner Twin drive in.
your really showing your age to remember the go cart track............I had to confirm with some of my sources, your correct :bow:

Redskin 70
06-13-2010, 07:23 AM
Aside from the ones in question, I am thinking of the ones behind the 7-11 and the 66 Station, which are also abandoned.

great article in the Oklahoma about just that location. It was in the Friday East sectionDilapidated apartment complex draws complaints | NewsOK.com (http://www.newsok.com/dilapidated-apartment-complex-draws-complaints/article/3467705)

:congrats: