View Full Version : Cox Internet; Your friend in 1980s Technology

stick47
11-19-2009, 08:28 AM
WAP Email Beta
End of Life Email

November 18, 2009

Dear Cox High Speed Internet customer,

We are writing to make you aware of a change in your service. Our records indicate that you have taken advantage of our Beta trial of mobile email access by logging into your account at http://wap.cox.net. Cox has decided not to move forward with the application at this time, so we will discontinue this method of email access on 12/1/2009.

This change will not otherwise affect your Cox High Speed Internet service and rest assured, you'll still be able to check your Cox email through any computer connected to the Internet via our Webmail platform. For additional information about accessing your email through the Web or via a POP client, please visit our support site, http://support.cox.com.

Thank you for being a Cox High Speed Internet customer.

Sincerely,
Cox Communications

I specifically purchased a Blackberry in order to access webmail when traveling and two months afterwards the above email comes in. :cuss2:

hipsterdoofus
11-19-2009, 08:52 AM
I specifically purchased a Blackberry in order to access webmail when traveling and two months afterwards the above email comes in. :cuss2:

Well...also in regards to 1980's technology, you do realize you don't have to use their mail service? I wouldn't think of tying down my e-mail account to an ISP - get something through gmail, or even better, by your own domain for a whole $9/yr and have your own email setup. I would think your cox email could forward over to that.

decepticobra
11-19-2009, 02:48 PM
cues: "Its the end of the world as we know it."

MsDarkstar
11-19-2009, 03:06 PM
My suggestion would be to call Cox & chat up one of their CSR's...it's been my experience that if you're friendly & "conspiratorial" with them, they'll give you pointers on how to do work arounds to the Cox service. You don't mention who your service is with, but I know that Cox & Sprint have a partnership so if no one at Cox can/will help you, maybe you could try out a Sprint rep.

mooshie
11-19-2009, 06:16 PM
Why don't you just setup your blackberry by programming the pop/smtp server settings? Most phones have them now and it works just like Outlook/Thunderbird or any OS based email application.

stick47
11-19-2009, 06:38 PM
Well so far I'm waiting for a suggestion that's as simple as Cox leaving their Beta site up. I'm sure this can't be a big expense for them. None of the other suggestions offered will be anywhere near as convenient. Well, except if the world would end. Now that would be convenient!

flintysooner
11-19-2009, 06:45 PM
I guess I don't understand. Why not use Google? It's free still, offers a ton of storage, and is quite good on spam. There are others, too, of course. The Cox web mail wasn't very good as I recall.

stick47
11-19-2009, 06:54 PM
If this was all personal email then I'd have moved my Email years ago due to somewhat unsatisfactory service with Cox but I have a personal domain for my business that gets a lot of referrals from my Cox webpage. (the Cox webpage iis linked on several hundred websites/forums) I simply can't afford the disconnect. I also get too much email to have it all coming in on my phone.

flintysooner
11-19-2009, 07:20 PM
If this was all personal email then I'd have moved my Email years ago due to somewhat unsatisfactory service with Cox but I have a personal domain for my business that gets a lot of referrals from my Cox webpage. (the Cox webpage iis linked on several hundred websites/forums) I simply can't afford the disconnect. I also get too much email to have it all coming in on my phone.We moved all of our business accounts to Google for Business a couple of years ago. DNS was not difficult at all.

Best wishes though.

bluedogok
11-19-2009, 07:45 PM
cues: "Its the end of the world as we know it."
You should have linked this....
_eyFiClAzq8

mooshie
11-19-2009, 08:07 PM
What is your model for your blackberry?

stick47
11-19-2009, 08:15 PM
what is your model for your blackberry?

hipsterdoofus
11-20-2009, 09:26 AM
Still don't understand what the problem is - forward your cox mail to another email service that handles that better or as someone else mentioned, just put in your server settings to check it.

CoxTech1
11-23-2009, 06:12 AM

I apologize for any inconvenience this sitation has caused you. I too received that same email regarding the mobile version of our webmail system and having inquired about it already found that it is being discontinued due to lack of usage. In all, I was told that exactly 80 people out of our millions of subscribers were using it. Also being a BlackBerry user myself I have found it much more convenient to simply setup my email accounts via the email settings tool. The suggestions made by other posters to this forum could also work rather well depending on your specific situation. Should you have any further questions please feel free to email me at hrd-hsi.newsgroups@cox.com and I'd be happy to do what I can to help.

--CoxTech1

stick47
12-01-2009, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the reply CoxTech. I just downloaded Bolt, another Blackberry browser and using that, I can get into and send webmail using the Cox Classic interface. Providing nothing changes on your site this has fixed the problem.