View Full Version : Far NW OKC Library

progressiveboy
11-15-2009, 10:35 AM
I could not find a previous thread on this, however, I remember reading in the DO and Friday Newspaper that a new NW Library was to be built with a completion of November 2010. Does anyone have any new information on this? It seems like OKC had a bond issue on this both in 2000 and 2007, if I am correct? It seems with the rapid growth in that part of the city that this would get started because of demand for services and the number of rooftops popping up? Are there new time lines set?

Steve
11-15-2009, 11:24 AM
Yes, you're correct. I do not know why it hasn't been built.

LakeEffect
11-15-2009, 11:48 AM
It's in design, if not about ready to advertise. Call 297-2581 (Public Works Department) and ask to talk to someone about the time line for the Northwest Library.

progressiveboy
11-15-2009, 11:50 AM
It's in design, if not about ready to advertise. Call 297-2581 (Public Works Department) and ask to talk to someone about the time line for the Northwest Library. Thanks for the info.

Steve
11-15-2009, 12:14 PM
cafeboeuf, eliminating the old stereotype of unhelpful civil servants one post at a time...
(yep, this is a compliment)

soonerfan_in_okc
11-15-2009, 01:07 PM
i live up by that area, and it is proposed to be at the nw122nd and Macarthur intersection.

here is the website for it i think

soonerfan21
11-16-2009, 07:33 AM
whenever I drive past (SE corner 122 & MacArthur) I have noticed a long brick wall circling the land. and it looks like tall lights (parking lot kind) have gone up. Anyone know the status of the library?

flintysooner
11-16-2009, 07:40 AM
I found these:

Developing Vision For New Northwest Oklahoma City (http://www.metrolibrary.org/mls/mls_news/2008/vision_for_northwest_okc_2008-06.html)

Northwest Library (http://www4.mls.lib.ok.us/mls/mls_library/nw.html)

smooth
11-16-2009, 07:45 AM
i live up by that area, and it is proposed to be at the nw122nd and Macarthur intersection.

here is the website for it i think

It can't be AT the intersection. There are already four businesses there. It's planned to be on the corner of Glenhurst.

hipsterdoofus
11-16-2009, 10:25 AM
Just so no one thinks that delays in this are a new thing - I believe there has been a "Northwest" Library talked about for 20 or more years. It was supposed to break ground over the summer, am not completely sure why it did not. I may have some updated information on a groundbreaking date later today - if I do, I will try to post it. I would assume though, that if it is this late in breaking ground, it will be late in completing as well.

What I can tell you for sure is that there are already a LOT of books purchased for that library - I believe though, that the construction process can get rather complicated though as it is a city building but run by the library system. And yes, it is 122nd & Glenhurst.

soonerfan_in_okc
11-16-2009, 11:48 AM
It can't be AT the intersection. There are already four businesses there. It's planned to be on the corner of Glenhurst.

well no crap. but it is right next there. i said it so people would know the area where it is. and no, there are not 4 businesses. one of them is a creek. so when you go correcting people, make sure you have your facts right.

soonerfan_in_okc
11-16-2009, 11:49 AM
whenever I drive past (SE corner 122 & MacArthur) I have noticed a long brick wall circling the land. and it looks like tall lights (parking lot kind) have gone up. Anyone know the status of the library?
i am pretty sure the long brick wall is for glenhurst neighborhood expansion. I have driven back in there, and they have a bunch of empty lots still. could be wrong though.

hipsterdoofus
11-16-2009, 02:24 PM
Ok, as promised - the NW Library is expected to go out for bid in January with groundbreaking potentially in March and opening in Summer of 2011.

For something more current, the newly renovated Ralph Ellison Library is expected to open on December 14th for those of you following some of the 23rd street revival.

smooth
11-16-2009, 03:57 PM
well no crap. but it is right next there. i said it so people would know the area where it is. and no, there are not 4 businesses. one of them is a creek. so when you go correcting people, make sure you have your facts right.

It is not "right next" to the intersection. Glenhurst is about six blocks east. BTW. When I read a post that is obviously incorrect, I will correct it... No matter what!

progressiveboy
11-16-2009, 07:04 PM
Ok, as promised - the NW Library is expected to go out for bid in January with groundbreaking potentially in March and opening in Summer of 2011.

For something more current, the newly renovated Ralph Ellison Library is expected to open on December 14th for those of you following some of the 23rd street revival. Thanks for the update.

muzique808
11-16-2009, 09:58 PM
For something more current, the newly renovated Ralph Ellison Library is expected to open on December 14th for those of you following some of the 23rd street revival.

I'm waiting for this one too. This is right down the street from work, and not too far from the house.

hipsterdoofus
11-17-2009, 08:20 AM
I'm waiting for this one too. This is right down the street from work, and not too far from the house.

The size of the library itself is essentially the same, but obviously the decor is updated and the space will be used much better. To me, the biggest change is the entry/lobby and restrooms along with the meeting rooms, which are vastly improved.

soonerfan_in_okc
11-18-2009, 11:01 PM
Wow, no need to call names. Thanks.

hipsterdoofus
11-19-2009, 07:47 AM
6 blocks east of the nw122nd and mcarthur intersection? are you retarded? no it is not, maybe 2. but an entrance is also roughly 1 block south too you idiot. do you even live around there? because you have no idea what you are talking about.

Dude - whats with the name calling? Not necessary.

Here is something called an "aerial map" for all of you who would rather argue about it on here.

http://clip2net.com/clip/m24905/1258641946-clip-70kb.jpg

smooth
11-19-2009, 02:10 PM
6 blocks east of the nw122nd and mcarthur intersection? are you retarded? no it is not, maybe 2. but an entrance is also roughly 1 block south too you idiot. do you even live around there? because you have no idea what you are talking about.

First. Yes. I live near there, and that is all you need to know about that part. Second, Glenhurst is about half way between MacArthur and Meridian which makes it aproximatly six blocks. Even if it WAS only a block that still does not make it at NW 122 and MacArthur.:fighting4

soonerfan_in_okc
11-19-2009, 03:29 PM
First. Yes. I live near there, and that is all you need to know about that part. Second, Glenhurst is about half way between MacArthur and Meridian which makes it aproximatly six blocks. Even if it WAS only a block that still does not make it at NW 122 and MacArthur.:fighting4

actually, i would like your complete address so i can come find you and we can argue this in person:fighting3:dizzy:

soonerfan_in_okc
11-19-2009, 03:29 PM
that was a joke btw :-)