View Full Version : Google Earth adds OKC in 3d

Nermel
11-14-2009, 06:39 PM
Google Earth has added a lot of 3d models of buildings in Oklahoma City. There are a ton around downtown, Midtown & State Capitol Complex. There are several along the NW Highway corridor as well. A few buildings in Norman are also on here, rather interesting.

From Google Earth Blog (cached on google, their web server isn't loading) New 3D cities released: Valencia, Spain and Oklahoma City | Google Earth Blog (http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:w_OuHAtfCEkJ:www.gearthblog.com/blog/archives/2009/11/3d_cities_valencia_spain_oklahoma_city.html)

Google has just pushed out their weekly 3D building release, and the two new cities this week are Valencia, Spain and Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.

Platemaker
11-16-2009, 12:15 PM
Cool! My apartment building is in 3D!

hipsterdoofus
11-16-2009, 12:27 PM
And yet their default view of downtown is still over 5 years old.

On Edit: Hey, the white van isn't under the light on the 3d view :-)

adaniel
11-16-2009, 12:42 PM
Looks great. I can see my job at 12th and Classen!

And IMO, I think the reason that OKC pics are so old is that Google is investing in updating its streetview, and only the largest cities have satellite photos from later than 2007.

Speaking of, I'm pretty sure I saw the Google Earth cars (a pack of 3 Chevy Aveos with giant mounted cameras on them) about 3 weeks ago on going south on I-44.

hipsterdoofus
11-16-2009, 12:44 PM
Looks great. I can see my job at 12th and Classen!

And IMO, I think the reason that OKC pics are so old is that Google is investing in updating its streetview, and only the largest cities have satellite photos from later than 2007.

Speaking of, I'm pretty sure I saw the Google Earth cars (a pack of 3 Chevy Aveos with giant mounted cameras on them) about 3 weeks ago on going south on I-44.

I believe I saw in their site that their intent was to update cities every 3 years...they are WAY behind now. OKC is about 5-6 years on there. And what, we don't qualify as a "large city"? We have an NBA team now after all...

mugofbeer
11-16-2009, 02:44 PM
I just wish they'd take a picture that is during a time of the year the city is green. The pic they use makes OKC look like its in the middle of the dust bowl.

hipsterdoofus
11-16-2009, 03:10 PM
I just wish they'd take a picture that is during a time of the year the city is green. The pic they use makes OKC look like its in the middle of the dust bowl.

Or...Winter, which believe it or not, happens in other cites as well.

mugofbeer
11-16-2009, 03:13 PM
Oh, I know, but it would just be nice if it showed this city IS actually green to those who still think its a cow town.

hipsterdoofus
11-16-2009, 03:23 PM
Oh, I know, but it would just be nice if it showed this city IS actually green to those who still think its a cow town.

I think we are guilty of making our perception worse than it is at times.